Judge in Houston rules Watson can be questioned under oath by first 9 accusers

section314

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Incorrect. This is a defense attorney delaying civil testimony so as not to damage a potential criminal defense. By his own admission, btw.

Defense attorney for who?  Watson? 

The attorneys for the plaintiffs want him to testify no?

The attorney for watson does not want this correct?

If this whole thing just went away, as in the age old time 'honored' pay a settlement of hush money that in the end benefits Watson no?

Thus if having to testify in a civil case is hanging over him there is greater chance he offers some settlement.  Thus the leverage for the lawyers of the women.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If this whole thing just went away, as in the age old time 'honored' pay a settlement of hush money that in the end benefits Watson no?

Thus if having to testify in a civil case is hanging over him there is greater chance he offers some settlement.  Thus the leverage for the lawyers of the women.

You would think that basic parameters would have been discussed already, but maybe not. As I learned in my divorce, your first deal is your best deal. The longer it goes on, the worse it gets.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

You would think that basic parameters would have been discussed already, but maybe not. As I learned in my divorce, your first deal is your best deal. The longer it goes on, the worse it gets.  

I think they (plaintiffs lawyers) want a large settlement with so many plaintiffs, maybe not all of them are in the same boat and now it is a game of chicken.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It's not a matter of if he's going to testify or who wants him to, it's a matter of when. Facing criminal charges and civil matters are two very different things and the standards for evidence in a criminal trial are different worlds. No defense attorney in their right mind would just let a client testify in a civil case if criminal charges may be imminent. Has zero to do with any sort of potential settlement, it's basic lawyering for the possibility of strengthening the criminal defense which is without question the priority (and also IMO well within Watson's Constitutional rights). That's why the civil testimony is happening after April 1 now.

Real smart move by the plaintiffs' attorneys for the nine allowed to move forward before April. Watson will be instructed by his criminal defense counsel to plead the fifth to everything to avoid testimony that might be used in the criminal case. In civil cases pleading the fifth can be used to draw adverse inferences and those depositions can be used in all of the cases. After the criminal case Watson will either have to suck up the adverse depositions from before April or really put himself out there during the latter depositions to try to cure the damage. Most likely the nine allowed to depose now will settle before any deposition. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, are you being serious with this comment?

The woman are at fault because they want pursue the man that sexually assaulted them? 

I mean this sincerely as I just don't understand that logic - and it's certainly possible I'm misunderstanding what you're staying -  and would like better understand how you or others with this position are seeing this.

yes.  people have motives that may be very different for you or me.  this is a civil trial so the end result will be some sort of fine.  will he suffer any punishment from the nfl for this?  i don't think so.  nfl players are engaged in civil disputes all the time.  it's nothing like what kamara did or rae carruth or ray lewis.

and no, this doesn't say that women shouldn't pursue the man they say assaulted her.  but i think this should be settled in criminal court not civil.  a criminal conviction will ruin watson's career.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

Justice deferred is justice denied.

This entire issue has lingered on for FAR too long.

The entire justice system needs to get off it's ass and handle this, one way or the other.  

And this comment isn't limited to this case alone, everything in our system takes vastly far too long to get done.

Bad for victims, bad for defendants, bad for society as a whole.

/offsoapbox

BUT......great for the rich criminals who get caught and have to have a theatre production to make others believe there is something called a 'blind' justice system.

/justgettingonsoapbox, butreluctantlystepsoffaswell

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

and no, this doesn't say that women shouldn't pursue the man they say assaulted her.  but i think this should be settled in criminal court not civil.  a criminal conviction will ruin watson's career.

IF he has done something criminally wrong to 22 people, his career in the NFL should be over.  But that's just me.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

BUT......great for the rich criminals who get caught and have to have a theatre production to make others believe there is something called a 'blind' justice system.

/justgettingonsoapbox, butreluctantlystepsoffaswell

The fact that justice system outcomes are so very different for those with massive amounts of money vs. those without shows how weak and broken our justice system truly is.  

There are many systems within the U.S. than are irreparably broken, irredeemably infested by embedded special interests and unequivocally not doing the job for which they were tasked to the benefit of ALL people equally. 

The Injustice system is only one of many.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

The fact that justice system outcomes are so very different for those with massive amounts of money vs. those without shows how weak and broken our justice system truly is.  

There are many systems within the U.S. than are irreparably broken, irredeemably infested by embedded special interests and unequivocally not doing the job for which they were tasked to the benefit of ALL people equally. 

The Injustice system is only one of many.

Yup....Now you know why I still crack the occasional inappropriate joke!  Its all manufactured consent (someone should write a book with that title :) ) so we will continually crap on the 'stupid' so the 'elite' can keep getting more elite.