42 Years Ago Today: The Miracle on Ice

Peace Frog

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Still gives me chills. I remember exactly where I was that night. Senior year in college and we were at our winter semi-formal. One of my friends brought a 16 inch portable TV to watch the game. The game was played at 5PM, and was on ABC TV delayed tape. Halfway through the 3rd period, there were about 200 people around our table trying to get to watch.  Finally, the band stopped playing, and after it was over, went into a version of "God Bless America." The whole place was singing. In my 64 years on this planet, the absolute greatest sports moment of my life, and that includes being at two games watching my Devils win the Stanley Cup.

Junior year of college, we were at our own game against St. John Fisher at the NY State Fairgrounds and after that game we sat in a crowded lockerroom--both teams--and watched the third period.  Like you, somebody brought a TV and the trainer went out and got a ton of beer and we just had the greatest time.  Incredible.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Junior year of college, in a friend's mobile home with a 13" black and white TV. 5 of us crowded around it. Also still gives me chills. I pull it up on YouTube occasionally and it has the same effect, together with one of the greatest sports calls of all time: "Do you believe in miracles?" 

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Not Jet related but maybe just for today--February 22, 1980 USA Hockey beat the Soviets at the Olympics in Lake Placid NY.  Not the Gold Medal game, that came later but this seemed much bigger.  

A good bit of luck for the US that Tretiak wasn't in the net.  But then again. a good bit of luck for the Big Red Machine that they were playing college kids and not the best hockey players in the country.  If the best of the Soviet Union went against the best of the US/Canada they Big Red Machine would have gotten sh*t-housed

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

A good bit of luck for the US that Tretiak wasn't in the net.  But then again. a good bit of luck for the Big Red Machine that they were playing college kids and not the best hockey players in the country.  If the best of the Soviet Union went against the best of the US/Canada they Big Red Machine would have gotten sh*t-housed

Not true. In 79 the NHL replaced the all star game with a three game series of the NHL all Stars vs. the Soviets and the Soviets won 2 out of three including 6-0 in the third game. They also routinely beat NHL teams in exhibition games in the 70's.   

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, NamathToSauer said:

Not true. In 79 the NHL replaced the all star game with a three game series of the NHL all Stars vs. the Soviets and the Soviets won 2 out of three including 6-0 in the third game. They also routinely beat NHL teams in exhibition games in the 70's.   

i meant to post similar. the 1970s canada-ussr tournament was really close iirc. these russkys played NHL all stars even up. dont undersell what these kids did.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, NamathToSauer said:

I know all about it.  The NHL "All Star" team was not a team.  It was a mob playing a exhibition game for a set of steak knives.  They didn't practiced together every single day year in and year out.  They were not organized and focused with a general identity and scheme.  The quality of the best NHL players man for man was well above the commies. 

The college team that beat the Soviets was man for man below the quality of the Soviet team, but they did at least work together under a very good coach for a good long time.  They also had some luck with the commie coach making a few bad decisions.

If the NHL players had the same practice time and centralization of direction as the Olympic college team, they would have wiped the floor with the commies.  Not even mentioning motive to win. 

The man for man quality of players between the Soviet ear commies on ice with sticks and the star NHL players is laughable.

A loss to Finland wouldn't have given us the Silver, and possibly no medal at all.

image.png.8a8cdb9c11a0f060c6204436d3c4ce5f.png

I wasn't aware that there was no "gold medal game" in the 1980 Olympics. The medals were determined by a Round Robin tournament with goal differential as a tie-breaker. A loss to Finland would have given the Soviets the gold.  A loss by two or more would have dropped us out of medal contention. I was today years old when I found out about this fact. 

image.png

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

A loss to Finland wouldn't have given us the Silver, and possibly no medal at all.

image.png.8a8cdb9c11a0f060c6204436d3c4ce5f.png

I wasn't aware that there was no "gold medal game" in the 1980 Olympics. The medals were determined by a Round Robin tournament with goal differential as a tie-breaker. A loss to Finland would have given the Soviets the gold.  A loss by two or more would have dropped us out of medal contention. I was today years old when I found out about this fact. 

image.png

Wow, I had no idea. I bet that fact helped fuel them against Finland. It's always tough to back up a monumental win with so little time in between - in any sport. Much easier to do in football because you normally have a week to celebrate, re-focus. Losses in the next round happen a lot in tennis after big upsets.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Everyone knew we won before the broadcast started. 

Why ABC stuck it in a tape delay, I will never understand.

One of the biggest mistakes in the history of sports broadcasting, but nobody remembers this. We all new the outcome before the game aired on TV unless you lived in a cave.  Sweden played Finland at 8 that night and the Soviets were asked to switch the game from 5 to 8 and they refused.  I watched every USA hockey game in those Olympics ( I was a junior in college) and some were on in the afternoon.  The first game vs Sweden (the only game the USA didn't win - 2-2 tie) was in the early afternoon.   I don't know why ABC didn't broadcast the game live and then again on tape.  I tried to hide in my room at college and avoid hearing about the game. I had an 11" black and white TV in my room in my fraternity and planned on watching it without knowing the score. It was a Friday night if I recall. Of course, one of my fraternity brothers came to my room before the game aired and blurted out (not maliciously) the outcome -  "did you hear we beat the Russians?"  I went ballistic.  I didn't know the score, but I knew the USA won the game. For me , the game that I remember as being more exciting was the gold medal clincher on Sunday afternoon against Finland.  That was broadcast live and if the USA lost, not only would they not win the gold, but they could have lost the chance to win any medal.  The format was different then. There was no "gold medal game."  The USA was down 2-1 going into the 3rd period and steamrolled Finland for the final 20 minutes to win 4-2.  I had about 20 fraternity brothers in my room watching on my little tv and we were going nuts.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

One of the biggest mistakes in the history of sports broadcasting, but nobody remembers this. We all new the outcome before the game aired on TV unless you lived in a cave.  Sweden played Finland at 8 that night and the Soviets were asked to switch the game from 5 to 8 and they refused.  I watched every USA hockey game in those Olympics ( I was a junior in college) and some were on in the afternoon.  The first game vs Sweden (the only game the USA didn't win - 2-2 tie) was in the early afternoon.   I don't know why ABC didn't broadcast the game live and then again on tape.  I tried to hide in my room at college and avoid hearing about the game. I had an 11" black and white TV in my room in my fraternity and planned on watching it without knowing the score. It was a Friday night if I recall. Of course, one of my fraternity brothers came to room before the game aired and blurted out (not maliciously) the outcome before the game "did you hear we beat the Russians?"  I went ballistic.  I didn't know the score, but I knew the USA won the game. For me , the game that I remember as being more exciting was the gold medal clincher on Sunday afternoon against Finland.  That was broadcast live and if the USA lost, not only would they not win the gold, but they could have lost the chance to win any medal.  The format was different then. There was no "gold medal game."  The USA was down 2-1 going into the 3rd period and steamrolled Finland for the final 20 minutes to win 4-2.  I had about 20 fraternity brothers in my room watching on my little tv and we were going nuts.  

It's funny, I think the Al Michaels call is so iconic and replayed so often, that people now misremember how it all went down. Even knowing the outcome, the call gives goosebumps.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

It's funny, I think the Al Michaels call is so iconic and replayed so often, that people now misremember how it all went down. Even knowing the outcome, the call gives goosebumps.

One of the greatest ever. However, when you hear Ken Dryden say "it's over" with about 6 seconds to go, my heart really starts to pump again.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

One of the biggest mistakes in the history of sports broadcasting, but nobody remembers this. We all new the outcome before the game aired on TV unless you lived in a cave.  Sweden played Finland at 8 that night and the Soviets were asked to switch the game from 5 to 8 and they refused.  I watched every USA hockey game in those Olympics ( I was a junior in college) and some were on in the afternoon.  The first game vs Sweden (the only game the USA didn't win - 2-2 tie) was in the early afternoon.   I don't know why ABC didn't broadcast the game live and then again on tape.  I tried to hide in my room at college and avoid hearing about the game. I had an 11" black and white TV in my room in my fraternity and planned on watching it without knowing the score. It was a Friday night if I recall. Of course, one of my fraternity brothers came to room before the game aired and blurted out (not maliciously) the outcome before the game "did you hear we beat the Russians?"  I went ballistic.  I didn't know the score, but I knew the USA won the game. For me , the game that I remember as being more exciting was the gold medal clincher on Sunday afternoon against Finland.  That was broadcast live and if the USA lost, not only would they not win the gold, but they could have lost the chance to win any medal.  The format was different then. There was no "gold medal game."  The USA was down 2-1 going into the 3rd period and steamrolled Finland for the final 20 minutes to win 4-2.  I had about 20 fraternity brothers in my room watching on my little tv and we were going nuts.  

I was a SR, in college and was listening to the radio, WCBS AM, while I was getting ready to go to our winter semi formal, and I heard the score.  Keeping that secret from all my friends that entire night, even while we were watching it, was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. But it was worth it. 

5 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Everyone knew we won before the broadcast started. 

Why ABC stuck it in a tape delay, I will never understand.

I will never forget. I was 11 and was at my great grandmother's house watching the ABC-NY news that night (6pm-ish).  They went to a remote reporter at Lake Placid and they said turn away if you don't want to know the score but the fans in the background were going nuts so it was a giveaway regardless. Still one of the greatest things I've ever watched. Still gives me goosebumps. People forget that wasn't for the gold.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The Summit Series of 1972 didn't work out so well for them though!

So sad Bobby Orr was at the end of the line and couldn't play.

LOVED that series. Dryden wrote a GREAT article for Sports Illustrated, think it was called something like The Rinks Were Running Red.

image.png.ea2588a7c18c2054c28e00ae4b795928.png

Best jerseys ever.  

image.png.738a46e537e71d8680444207896348eb.png

Paul Henderson with the winning goal, classic pic.

image.thumb.png.11672654841d53c6fe68b6d6e00c311e.png

8 hours ago, section314 said:

Still gives me chills. I remember exactly where I was that night. Senior year in college and we were at our winter semi-formal. One of my friends brought a 16 inch portable TV to watch the game. The game was played at 5PM, and was on ABC TV delayed tape. Halfway through the 3rd period, there were about 200 people around our table trying to get to watch.  Finally, the band stopped playing, and after it was over, went into a version of "God Bless America." The whole place was singing. In my 64 years on this planet, the absolute greatest sports moment of my life, and that includes being at two games watching my Devils win the Stanley Cup.

I was a freshman. Younger people dont realize these were KIDS against men.  It was a ROCKY upset.   For me the Rangers 94 cup is its equal but yes, I still get chills.  

• Sympathy 1