NFL Franchise Tag Window opens today through March 8th

Tuesday marks the first day NFL teams can start placing the franchise or transition tag on players whose contracts are set to expire. The tag window runs from today, Feb. 22, to March 8.

Clubs that utilize a tender have until mid-July to work out a multi-year contract with a player. If an extension isn't agreed to at that point, the player will work the 2022 season under the one-year tender.

There are three tender options: 1) Non-exclusive franchise tag; 2) Exclusive franchise tag; 3) Transition tag.

Non-exclusive franchise tag: When most refer to the "franchise tag," they generally talk about the non-exclusive version. This is a one-year tender of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years, or 120 percent of his previous salary, whichever is greater. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation if he signs with another club.

Exclusive franchise tag: Unlike the non-exclusive version, the tagging team retains the sole right to negotiate with the player. The exclusivity comes with a bump in pay scale (current average salary versus averaging of the previous five years). This one-year tender offer of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position for the current year, or 120 percent of his previous salary, whichever is greater. The rise in pay scale means only a select few get this tag. Usually, players for whom other teams would gladly give up two first-round picks receive this version of the tag -- generally, quarterbacks.

Transition tag: The transition tag is a one-year tender offer for the average of the top 10 salaries at the position -- as opposed to the top five for the franchise tag. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player might receive from another club. The tagging team is awarded no compensation if it chooses not to match a deal.

Tag figures for each position are based on the salary cap for the upcoming season. The projected cap for 2022 is expected to be $208.2 million, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported in December, a boost of $25.7 million from 2021.

Each team can use only one tag in a year. The club owns the right to rescind the tender at any time, but it counts as being used. A player can be tagged up to three times by his team, with a jump in pay each occurrence, but the percentage of the salary cap taken up by the third time generally makes it prohibitive.

Several big-name players could be in line for the franchise tag, including Green Bay Packers receiver Davante Adams, New England Patriots corner J.C. Jackson, Kansas City Chiefs left tackle Orlando Brown and Arizona Cardinals linebacker Chandler Jones.

While the window opens today, don't expect a flurry of moves, as clubs generally wait until closer to the deadline to implement the tag in an effort to work out an extension before it comes to using a tender.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Players tagged in 2022

Kansas City Chiefs offensive tackle Orlando Brown (source: ESPN) | $16.7 million

Candidates for the 2022 NFL Franchise Tag

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Davante Adams (No. 1)

Cincinnati Bengals safety Jessie Bates III (No. 3)

New England Patriots cornerback J.C. Jackson (No. 4) - NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL NOW at the Combine on Friday that the New England Patriots are not expected to use the franchise tag on Jackson

Arizona Cardinals edge defender Chandler Jones (No. 6) - NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday that the club is not expected to use its franchise tag on the Pro Bowler.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Carlton Davis (No. 10)

Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Mike Williams (No. 14)

Tennessee Titans outside linebacker Harold Landry (No. 21)

Miami Dolphins tight end Mike Gesicki (No. 22)

Dallas Cowboys tight end Dalton Schultz (No. 23)

1 minute ago, football guy said:

The franchise tag has not been friendly to Joe Douglas. Their top targets in 2020 were Brandon Scherff and Joe Thuney, both franchise tagged. In 2021? Chris Godwin - franchise tagged. This year? David Njoku - franchise tagged. 

Well then Joe Douglas should have a plan of realistic targets.
These were all pretty expected. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

If the Dolphins tag Gesicki, Evan Engram heads to the top of the TE FA class? Yikes. 

My guess is they will take a chance on one of these lower-tier veterans or an OJ Howard type and pair that player with a draft pick. 

I'm keeping an eye on Austin Hooper as well 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

My guess is they will take a chance on one of these lower-tier veterans or an OJ Howard type and pair that player with a draft pick. 

No offense, but there are probably 6-7 better TE's in the draft than him. 

56 minutes ago, football guy said:

I kind of hope we sign Ertz to pair with the 1 or 2 rookies we draft

3 hours ago, Stark said:

I kind of hope we sign Ertz to pair with the 1 or 2 rookies we draft

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Old Vets haven't been JD's M.O. but this feels different.  Take the best TE with one of the 2's but not be totally reliant on him his rookie year.

• Upvote 1