A coach that gets it. (New DC of Denver)

Beerfish

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

To that end, new defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero noted Tuesday that the scheme wouldn't be much different than what Fangio ran the past three seasons, with a base 3-4 scheme.

"There will be a lot of carryover from what these guys did last year, but at the end of the day. ... You've got to start with the evaluation of your players," Evero said, per the team's official website. "You've got to see who's on your roster, you've got to see what they do well, and the scheme has got to fit your players. You can't go the other way around with that. There will be a lot of carryover, and I think players will be familiar with a lot of what we're going to present to them. We're going to always [start] with player first and then move into the scheme."

Seem like this guy is talking out of both sides of his mouth. First, says the scheme won't be much different, then goes on to say the scheme has to fit your players. Can't believe a HC would actually hire somebody like this .

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

Seem like this guy is talking out of both sides of his mouth. First, says the scheme won't be much different, then goes on to say the scheme has to fit your players. Can't believe a HC would actually hire somebody like this .

No, I think you're just confused. He is keeping a very similar scheme because the players played in that scheme and played well so he knows they can play that scheme..

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, section314 said:

I can't tell if this is a serious comment or not.....it's hard in 2022. lmao

22 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

No, I think you're just confused. He is keeping a very similar scheme because the players played in that scheme and played well so he knows they can play that scheme..

I'm not confused, I just think this guy presented it the wrong way. Could have said they are keeping pretty much the same  system because it fits the strengths of the players, and it will always be that way. 

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

To that end, new defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero noted Tuesday that the scheme wouldn't be much different than what Fangio ran the past three seasons, with a base 3-4 scheme.

"There will be a lot of carryover from what these guys did last year, but at the end of the day. ... You've got to start with the evaluation of your players," Evero said, per the team's official website. "You've got to see who's on your roster, you've got to see what they do well, and the scheme has got to fit your players. You can't go the other way around with that. There will be a lot of carryover, and I think players will be familiar with a lot of what we're going to present to them. We're going to always [start] with player first and then move into the scheme."

It makes A LOT more sense to build the scheme around the players when you're a team like Denver who actually has good players on defense.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Broncos Defense gave up 18.9 pts per game last year (3rd lowest in the NFL), Why would he want to make changes to that system? 

Saleh came in to a rebuild, with a ton of young players and some newly signed free agents. Why wouldn't he want to implement his system on the hopes of gradually filling the roster with players that fit that system?  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Broncos Defense gave up 18.9 pts per game last year (3rd lowest in the NFL), Why would he want to make changes to that system? 

Saleh came in to a rebuild, with a ton of young players and some newly signed free agents. Why wouldn't he want to implement his system on the hopes of gradually filling the roster with players that fit that system?  

Read the quote about a coach adapting to talent.

What we see from a lot of teams and the jets are a great example of changing coaches every 3 or 4 years and then talking about how none of the guys we have drafted for years, fit the scheme and how come draft time we have to 'draft for scheme'

Yes.  I applaud the Brandon Staley protégé for stating he’s not going to force his scheme on Fangio’s players.  

Wait a minute, who did Brandon Staley learn defense from? Oh that’s right.  Vic Fangio.

But still, kudos to this guy. He’s not going to force his system on his new guys, which is largely going to be the same system anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Is it the coach who gets it?  Or the people hiring the coach?  I would assume that a coach would share his vision for scheme he wants to run in the interview process.  If we don't have personnel to fit that scheme, and the guy is hired anyway, then presumably, management has bought into the time needed to rebuild the roster to fit a new scheme. 

And it may turn out to be the right decision in the long run.  Then again, maybe it won't. We should have a better idea at the end of this season, because season one for this defense was ugly.

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2022 at 11:47 AM, Beerfish said:

Denver was 3rd in PA and 8th in yds given up. i wouldn't change anything either.

Saleh took over the 7th worst PA and the 9th worst yds given up. no reason not to change from that.

So what Jet players have a strength that wasn’t utilized?

They’re a top defensive team.  Why would you change their scheme? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Over the years, it was tough to see some good players leave because they didn't fit the system - Hugh Douglas and Jon Vilma come to mind.  

Definitely. Terrance Mathis to boot.

But the OP seems to be suggesting Salah didn’t use his players effectively and I’m asking WHO?  

The offense was creative. The defense is a no-name mostly talentless group.

Left with that, pick a scheme you like and then find players that fit it.  I don’t like the idea of passing on a Sauce Gardner at 10 because we don’t use CB’s but I also understand Salah has the 49ers background which he coached very successfully. This is JD’s make or break off-season. It’s all been building up to this FA and this draft to get the needed players. Between cap and picks we have the most resources in the NFL. Get Salah what he wants.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Over the years, it was tough to see some good players leave because they didn't fit the system - Hugh Douglas and Jon Vilma come to mind.  

and we had success after getting rid of those 2 guys.

Parcells traded Hugh Douglas in 97. then we go 9-7 and 12-4 and a AFCG. 

Mangini trades Vilma in 2008 and goes 9-7 and the next 2 years Rex takes us to 2 AFCGs.

so at least in those 2 instances getting rid of a player who doesn't fit the system for someone who does worked out pretty well for us.