Edit: JC Jackson will hit the open market

Rhg1084

Four years, $72 million ($56 million guaranteed) is his projected contract.

Like the rest of the Pats, he'll sign a lucrative contract to go elsewhere then get release 2 to 3 years later and jump right back on board with the Pats. 

Also 5 of his INTs came against Sam Darnold and Jets QBs lol.

If we can sign him then go ahead but I doubt the results will favor us. Great undrafted player and hopefully our CB can progress from nothing to something similar to him. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Dude, JD is not going to set the market for CB's. Have you been paying attention the last two seasons?

Yes that’s exactly what I’m saying here. Rumors will come out that we’re “interested” yet he signs elsewhere. Conklin’s camp did the same thing to us a few years back 

6 minutes ago, the Claw said:

F no. They should roll with what they’ve got at cb now or maybe add a low priced FA. Dude plays the Jets AND the Dolphins twice a year. 

Jets had the worst pass defense in the league last year. You don’t think they should attempt to upgrade the secondary at all?

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Jets had the worst pass defense in the league last year. You don’t think they should attempt to upgrade the secondary at all?

Not with a high priced CB. A low priced one or maybe another late round draft pick, but otherwise no. I would look to upgrade S, OLB, and pass rush, but not cb. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Making someone the highest paid corner in the NFL when you have multiple positions to fill in your secondary seems a bit counterproductive.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

Making someone the highest paid corner in the NFL when you have multiple positions to fill in your secondary seems a bit counterproductive.

Who else are the Jets paying at this point? They need to give out some money. Either pay a corner or draft one at pick 10

17 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Who else are the Jets paying at this point? They need to give out some money. Either pay a corner or draft one at pick 10

There are other corners in the market who wouldn't require an albatross of a contract to play in New York. The Jets can easily improve their secondary without having to overspend on Jackson, when they are not in a position for it. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Draft one that high? For this defense? That seems counterproductive to me when there are more glaring needs all over the team. I know the secondary wasn’t awesome, but they were first and second year players with a puss rash for a pass rush. They’ll be better this year, and if they’re not, get some better help next season. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think they do one or the other 

Zero chance they draft a secondary player in the top 10.. it's possible they sign a big ticket corner but doubtful. The defense is dependent on pass rush they will most likely focus on that and piece together the secondary with players drafted later and mid level free agents. Just my opinion based on JDs draft history.

1 hour ago, Gramsci said:

It would be a terrible move to pay this much on one player, when there are multiple holes in the roster. Would much rather take a flyer on Casey Hayward and sign Carlton Davis than paying for a star player when we are nowhere close to be playoff  contenders.

Don't get the good players until you have the good players. Then you add the piece de resistance and...voila she is feenished

• Upvote 1

People make way too much of this type of stuff when it suits them.. Players want contracts at the maximum value and they want them yesterday. The Patriots will offer him a contract or not, but these statements mean nothing either way. If they do, they'll be the greatest organization ever and have the best eye for talent of anything that has ever existed. 

If this was a Jets player on the same level as Jackson.. he'd suck and can go play with Jamal!

JC is a bigtime CB and would give the Jets one of the better CB units in football. Build the safeties out and suddenly the secondary is wildly improved. A healthy Carl Lawson and maybe Kayvon Thibs and this defense is ready to eat. 

The Jets have so many options and opportunities to improve the team in major ways this year. Exciting

• Upvote 1