Edit: JC Jackson will hit the open market

Rhg1084

I would be shocked if he hits the open market, but if he does I personally want him. I do worry about the rumors that he’s in it for the money, but sometimes that gets overplayed. The question is does he love football. If he loves football and loves money, power to him. If he does make it to the open market, I would expect the Jets to be among the highest bidders.

Marcus Peters would have been someone the Jets would likely have considered, but would need to do a lot of vetting before making a move. Doesn’t sound like he’ll be traded anyway. 

Backup plan may be someone like James Bradberry/draft, but I personally am not expecting a 1st rounder. More likely would be in the 2nd

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, football guy said:

I would be shocked if he hits the open market, but if he does I personally want him. I do worry about the rumors that he’s in it for the money, but sometimes that gets overplayed. The question is does he love football. If he loves football and loves money, power to him. If he does make it to the open market, I would expect the Jets to be among the highest bidders.

Marcus Peters would have been someone the Jets would likely have considered, but would need to do a lot of vetting before making a move. Doesn’t sound like he’ll be traded anyway. 

Backup plan may be someone like James Bradberry/draft, but I personally am not expecting a 1st rounder. More likely would be in the 2nd

Revis was in it for the money and he was pretty good.

A shut down corner would be nice, but they better change the defense to adjust and take advantage (if this happens).

Pretty cool that the Jets would know who 1, 2, 3 and 4 are. And Echols goes from 2 to 4. Not a bad depth chart.

• Upvote 3

On 2/26/2022 at 11:15 AM, football guy said:

@football guy it won’t happen but JC , a safety like whitehead/edmunds and a FA Tightend but be great . Jets could go into draft wide open . I’m starting to warm up to ikem at 4 and Jermaine Johnson at 10

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

Revis was in it for the money and he was pretty good.

A shut down corner would be nice, but they better change the defense to adjust and take advantage (if this happens).

Pretty cool that the Jets would know who 1, 2, 3 and 4 are. And Echols goes from 2 to 4. Not a bad depth chart.

Totally agree. Reading today that it’s doubtful that JC Jackson gets tagged which is exciting. Having been said, the NE beat had no idea Thuney was getting tagged so idk what to think

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, football guy said:

Totally agree. Reading today that it’s doubtful that JC Jackson gets tagged which is exciting. Having been said, the NE beat had no idea Thuney was getting tagged so idk what to think

I love Gardner though, would be so damn happy if the Jets took him at 10.

Although if you add Jackson in free agency that is one less need going into the draft.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I love Gardner though, would be so damn happy if the Jets took him at 10.

Although if you add Jackson in free agency that is one less need going into the draft.

Yes it’s two-fold: (1) there’s a good chance that Gardner is gone by then; (2) frees up that pick to use on a premium asset or to trade down 

• Upvote 2

You know it’s really interesting, based off of JD’s first 2 off seasons I would say he won’t be involved. Question now is, after 13 wins in 3 seasons as GM ( 7 of which were not with his roster ) does JD start feeling the heat and take a semi different approach to FA. I still don’t see him handing out a record deal to a CB. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Rap reporting he won’t be tagged. Douglas will have a lot of options on how to attack this off-season

There are always concerns about DBs that leave the Patriots system but I rather spend money on Jackson than Amari Cooper. 

Build the offense around Wilson with equally young emerging players from the draft while using our cap space to fix the defense. 

• Upvote 2

I never thought this one was going to happen. Sign me up. I think the Jets are well equipped to take a risk here given the culture/locker room, scheme, and presence of young CBs. Every now and then you have to gamble; I think this one is worth the gamble. The one thing JC has proven to be is a turnover machine, and if we're to project Hall on the other side - a player who lacks ball skills but has flashed terrific coverage ability - they would complement each other very nicely. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Lets make JC Jackson the highest paid corner in the league.  Mike McCagnan approves!

Lol so according to your posts you don’t think the Jets will sign anybody! I bet they make at least one big name signing 

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Lol so according to your posts you don’t think the Jets will sign anybody! I bet they make at least one big name signing 

Nope.  Mid tier guys just like last year.  This is year 2 of a ground up rebuild.  We are not winning a super bowl next year.  We are not going to make moves like that is the goal.

The goal is to improve and keep everything aligned with long term success in mind.

We arent looking to be the Bengals and get to one super bowl and then finish 3rd in the division next year(which they will if Pitt gets a decent veteran qb).

We are looking to emulate the Pats and have sustained success for 20 years and win multiple super bowls.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Nope.  Mid tier guys just like last year.  This is year 2 of a ground up rebuild.  We are not winning a super bowl next year.  We are not going to make moves like that is the goal.

The goal is to improve and keep everything aligned with long term success in mind.

We arent looking to be the Bengals and get to one super bowl and then finish 3rd in the division next year(which they will if Pitt gets a decent veteran qb).

We are looking to emulate the Pats and have sustained success for 20 years and win multiple super bowls.

Jets signed the highest paid edge and wr last year. What you talking about “mid tier” guys 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Jets signed the highest paid edge and wr last year. What you talking about “mid tier” guys 

You think Carl Lawson and Corey Davis arent mid tier guys?  Thats exactly what they are and their contracts are fools gold as both can be cut with no cap consequence after this year.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

In reality:

Corey Davis was a 2 year 27 million dollar deal and will be cut this offseason.

Carl Lawson is a 2 year 30 million dollar deal and very well might be cut this offseason as well.

You think JC Jackson is signing this kind of deal?

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You think Carl Lawson and Corey Davis arent mid tier guys?  Thats exactly what they are and their contracts are fools gold as both can be cut with no cap consequence after this year.

This is correct, but I bet they hoped the two would play well enough to earn extensions.  I think Douglas si drafting an Edge in rd 1 and a WR not far threafter.  All the more reason to believe he might address corner in FA.  I wouldn't be surprised if Joe targets him 1st in FA.

On 2/24/2022 at 8:58 AM, JiFapono said:

I feel like Free Agent CB's are risky.  The success of that position is so predicated on scheme, surrounding and situation that it's really hard to predict how they're going to translate on a different team.  Obviously, guys like Gilmore and Ramsey are just next level and can play anywhere but is there an example of a FA CB having a significant impact on a new team?  Seems like 8 out of 10 times, the team who signs them gets burned.   Could be wrong and I'm missing examples but that's how it feels based off the top of my head big name CB signings. 

I get what you are saying and I feel like it happened when the Jets gave a billion dollars to the Rams guy that I won't even mention. He was so bad here, different scheme.

Some guys though....going to be good no matter what. Just not sure they are going to pay a CB what Jackson would get.

If the edges are gone at 4 and you go Hamilton (a safety I know) and sign Jackson, wow that secondary is going to be transformed overnight.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

According to Spotrac's market value projections, Jackson is in line to see a contract that pays him an average annual salary of $20.9 million. Specifically, he's projected to receive a five-year contract worth over $104 million. If Jackson, in fact, lands such a contract, he would be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

CBS has this but I think he will get more than this.

Texans sign CB J.C. Jackson

Projected terms: Four years, $72 million | Per year: $18 million

Houston needs play-makers everywhere, but especially at corner. New coach Lovie Smith gets a building block for his defense, and general manager Nick Caserio knows Jackson from New England. At 26, the ex-Patriots star instantly boosts their secondary.