OT: Former Heavyweight Champion Turns Soldier

Warfish

Hoping and praying the Klitchkos do OK tonight it’s supposed to be a tough night in Kiev. I wouldn’t ever want to have to deal with them (except socially) but a bullet can stop anyone. You have to like these guys plus the Ukraine President. The thing about Putin is he grew up after WW2 in a city totaled by the war, his father was wounded and it was a rough landscape to grow up in. You’d think if you had a true feeling for Russian history more Russians were killed by the Nazis than any other country. And btw Zelensky isn’t a Nazi his grandfather (Jewish) fought in the Soviet army vs the Nazis in that war. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

Speaking to Ukrainian nationals tonight, I'm convinced that the single biggest thing we can demand from our lawmakers, is for America to make Ukraine a "no fly zone". If America/ NATO can eliminate Russian air offense, we can give the Ukraine a chance to survive. 

I don’t think they could make it a no fly zone. I wish they could. If NATO attacked Russian planes a war could break out. And based on what we’ve seen the past two days you don’t know if the Russians have any restraints. They’ve been making serious unstable threats all week. They know and take advantage of the fact that we aren’t crazy and do have restraints. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I’m Ukrainian.
My grandmother came home from school as a teenager and her entire family was gone.  Taken to the Siberian gulags.  Never heard from again.
She hid for months.  Farm to farm, barn to barn.  She was eventually caught and was put on a train she said was very similar to the ones in Schindler’s List.  

Somehow she manages to escape with three men.  One that would eventually become my grandfather.  They hid in the forest and traveled west.  Finding their way to the Poland boarder.
Fast forward 5 years when the Germans showed up.  My grandmother, pregnant with my father and her husband were shipped to Germany to work in the camps.

She never saw her husband again, but somehow survived.  Gave birth to my father on March 26, 1945 in the camp and was luckily liberated shortly after that from the same Russian troops that murdered her family.

They were stuck in Germany, unable to return to Ukraine.  Saint Nicholas church from Chicago, IL was relocating Ukrainian refugees to America.  They brought her and my father over and they moved to Ukrainian Village.  Chicago and Western Ave.  It’s the neighborhood I was born in.

I’m not sure why I told the story or what I was trying to accomplish from it, but there it is.
Wow....talk about a post that makes you think and feel grateful for the fortune (luck) for having been born in the right place at the right time.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, undertow said:

HighPitch-Hey mods can you ban people that don't agree with me and don't agree with the information I'm feed by MSM?  This war didn't start this week this war started in 2014 when the US backed a coup that overthrew a democratically elected leader and installed a government full of neo-nazis because the previous regime was anti NATO...settle down with the war cheerleading sometimes there's no good guys this is just another war we started to keep the war machine churning and capture more energy.  This is far more complicated than reeee Russia bad.  Last comment so I don't get banned. lmao

Dude im a conservative republican that is supporting my elected president and would just like to discuss the human aspects of this mess without blaming anyone but Putin.

So epic fail on your part. 

In other news I have a rental here in tampa that will be available 3/1 let me know if you’re interested. It wont be cheap though I’m not a charity

• Upvote 3

Taiwan is next. Then South Korea. Then all hell will break loose in the Middle East. 

We have lost our superiority in the world which we held for decades. 

I weepz for my children.  

All prayers to the Ukraine. Fiancé’s parents are Ukrainian and I don’t know how to console them. 

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Let people have their opinions and if it becomes name calling shut it down. In my opinion of course. 

We try and that would be great. The problem is when stuff spills over we have had people fighting via PM and threatening each other.

Hopefully people will listen and not cross lines, that is always our first choice.

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Taiwan is next. Then South Korea. Then all hell will break loose in the Middle East. 

We have lost our superiority in the world which we held for decades. 

I weepz for my children.  

All prayers to the Ukraine. Fiancé’s parents are Ukrainian and I don’t know how to console them. 

I wonder if Putin is ballsy enough to go right after Lithuania. And I agree about our kids, I was watching the news coverage and my 9 year old told me he was scared of what he was seeing on the TV. Even growing up in the 80s (I'm 44), I never saw stuff llke this on the TV. 

18 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I’m Ukrainian.

My grandmother came home from school as a teenager and her entire family was gone.  Taken to the Siberian gulags.  Never heard from again.

She hid for months.  Farm to farm, barn to barn.  She was eventually caught and was put on a train she said was very similar to the ones in Schindler’s List.  

Somehow she manages to escape with three men.  One that would eventually become my grandfather.  They hid in the forest and traveled west.  Finding their way to the Poland boarder.

Fast forward 5 years when the Germans showed up.  My grandmother, pregnant with my father and her husband were shipped to Germany to work in the camps.

She never saw her husband again, but somehow survived.  Gave birth to my father on March 26, 1945 in the camp and was luckily liberated shortly after that from the same Russian troops that murdered her family.

They were stuck in Germany, unable to return to Ukraine.  Saint Nicholas church from Chicago, IL was relocating Ukrainian refugees to America.  They brought her and my father over and they moved to Ukrainian Village.  Chicago and Western Ave.  It’s the neighborhood I was born in.

I’m not sure why I told the story or what I was trying to accomplish from it, but there it is.

Prayers our JET friend...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

We try and that would be great. The problem is when stuff spills over we have had people fighting via PM and threatening each other.

Hopefully people will listen and not cross lines, that is always our first choice.

Can you get rid of DMs lol?

17 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

That was just the first ten years of my father’s life.  It is a Oscar worthy story. 

He came to America, poor as could be.  Drafted to Vietnam and served his new country proudly.  
Married my mother, but she passed when I was 2 of breast cancer.  He was burdened with 5 and 2 year sons and no wife.  

The man became a certified electrician, plumber, hvac, and eventually became a mechanical engineer.  
He buried his second wife 25 years after his first, who passed from Jakob Creutzfeldt disease.   It was later on a episode of House, giving me chills.  

He never complained or blamed others for his struggles.  

He died on November 17, 2021 of Covid.  It was the same day Jet Medic lost his father in law.  
The man was my best friend and role model.   I feel nothing but pride and honor to have called that man my dad. 

Young kids of today, have no clue... Thanks for sharing. My dad's struggles weren't as bad, but came over from Italy, and had to live poor as well, because in those days, Italian's and the Irish were treated like dogs. All of my father's brothers, changed their last names legally just so they could get jobs. My dad was the only one that didn't. He served this country as well fighting in WWII, in Europe. He died at 50 yo, and I'll never be able to grasp, what was going through his mind, because I am 64, and at 50, was still in the prime of my life. I would never have been able to handle it with the dignity he did. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Young kids of today, have no clue... Thanks for sharing. My dad's struggles weren't as bad, but came over from Italy, and had to live poor as well, because in those days, Italian's and the Irish were treated like dogs. All of my father's brothers, changed their last names legally just so they could get jobs. My dad was the only one that didn't. He served this country as well fighting in WWII, in Europe. He died at 50 yo, and I'll never be able to grasp, what was going through his mind, because I am 64, and at 50, was still in the prime of my life. I would never have been able to handle it with the dignity he did. 

Too true.  One of my father's sayings that always stuck with me was how American kids are spoiled.  It was brought about when I insisted on showering everyday as a teenager.  Showering!  

My mother was an Irish immigrant.  Her family was from Limerick.  Fortunately, they came over after most of the prejudices you mentioned, had passed.  They were still incredibly poor though and had to work and fight for everything they had.  

Your father sounds like a great man and I'll thank him through you for fighting tyranny.   Its men like him that saved the world.  Saved my world.  If they didn't rescue my family I wouldn't be here right now.  Think about it.  

I'm grateful to him and everyone that came to our aid.   It's why I enlisted as a teenager.  I wanted to give back to this great nation and her people. 

I'm 48 years old with kids just reaching their teen years.  The thought of leaving them now with so much of their growth still ahead chokes me up a bit.  Hopefully I'm granted the blessing of watching them grow up.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, freestater said:

Speaking to Ukrainian nationals tonight, I'm convinced that the single biggest thing we can demand from our lawmakers, is for America to make Ukraine a "no fly zone". If America/ NATO can eliminate Russian air offense, we can give the Ukraine a chance to survive. 

I’m no Patton but that seems like a bad idea

12 hours ago, undertow said:

HighPitch-Hey mods can you ban people that don't agree with me and don't agree with the information I'm feed by MSM?  This war didn't start this week this war started in 2014 when the US backed a coup that overthrew a democratically elected leader and installed a government full of neo-nazis because the previous regime was anti NATO...settle down with the war cheerleading sometimes there's no good guys this is just another war we started to keep the war machine churning and capture more energy.  This is far more complicated than reeee Russia bad.  Last comment so I don't get banned. lmao

This is truly idiotic and a thread killer. Why go there?

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Too true.  One of my father's sayings that always stuck with me was how American kids are spoiled.  It was brought about when I insisted on showering everyday as a teenager.  Showering!  

My mother was an Irish immigrant.  Her family was from Limerick.  Fortunately, they came over after most of the prejudices you mentioned, had passed.  They were still incredibly poor though and had to work and fight for everything they had.  

Your father sounds like a great man and I'll thank him through you for fighting tyranny.   Its men like him that saved the world. 

I'm 48 years old with kids just reaching their teen years.  The thought of leaving them now with so much of their growth still ahead chokes me up a bit.  Hopefully I'm granted the blessing of watching them grow up.

Thank you... appreciate the kind words...

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It’s ok if you want to deny it. It’s Pac after all. 

That was like 13 years ago.  Free has smoked about your body weight of 2000 lbs of weed since then.  I didn't expect him to remember.

• Haha 1

You have to be very concerned about how far the Russians are willing to go. Esp if they aren’t winning or dominating a ground war. Look at recent history in Syria when Russians aided Assad bombing residential buildings which led to millions of Syrian refugees something that helped de-stabilize Europe. The Russians also assisted Assad in using chemical weapons. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BeaconJet said:

It would escalate things.

But I did see one Ukrainian official confirm that it would sure help if NATO did make it a no fly zone. 

Lose-lose. US looks weak right now. If we put on a no fly zone and dont enfoce -lose. If we do enforce WW3.