Becton may no longer be working with Duke Manyweather…

Mogglez

Just now, Dcat said:

So was he lying to us on the call or is Becton working his butt off?  

It's either true or false.  There's no middle ground.

The big question I have here is 'Can we trust what Saleh says or is just another BS artist in front of the mike?  If he was lying, then he is a damned good liar because it sounded sincere.  

“We’re excited about Jamal. The plan is for Jamal to be a Jet for life." Joe Douglas February 25, 2020

It's February 25, 2022. We should know better than to believe anything any GM/Coach says this time of year. It COULD be true, but it could just as easily be a way for the Jets to get the most out of a Becton trade before we take a Tackle at 4. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

As critical as I am of Becton, him not coming back this season was as much of a Jets decision as it was a Mekhi setback issue.  He probably could have toughed out the last few weeks of the year.  He probably would have too.  That being said, with the play of Fant, there was no reason to play him and risk further injury.

I don’t know if I buy that line of thought, Moggz I don’t think they were “protecting” him.

He was hurt, or they just felt he wasn’t in shape. We’ll probably never know which. I’m hoping it was the former.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i still think at least part of the reason becton bailed was b/c fant played well and he thought he wouldn't get his job back.  immaturity.

i dont think he gets the LT job now.

after the year Fant had at LT and compare to him struggling the year before at RT i think we have to keep him at LT.

Becton can move to RT.

and then when Fant is gone he can move back to LT. 

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

“We’re excited about Jamal. The plan is for Jamal to be a Jet for life." Joe Douglas February 25, 2020

It's February 25, 2022. We should know better than to believe anything any GM/Coach says this time of year. It COULD be true, but it could just as easily be a way for the Jets to get the most out of a Becton trade before we take a Tackle at 4. 

Apples and oranges.  Don't you see the obvious difference? Whether Becton is working hard is a question of fact (current events... not future forecast).  Your example is one of future prophecy...  on a different levell of untrustworthy.

So is Becton working hard ("his butt off") or not?  It's either yes or no... and someone knows the truth.  It's not a question of where Becton will be in a couple of years down the road where the best anyone can do is speculate.

I totally understand if people are critical of Becton not returning this season to play. But why do so many repeat the provably false assertions that he showed up to camp out of shape? I'm also confused by contentions that he played poorly. When he's played, he's been a beast. Or, that he doesn't play injured. He played with a shoulder injury his first season and did not miss much time.

If you want to say he's injury prone and did not do enough to return this past season, I totally get why you would feel that way. But all of the other stuff is complete and utter falsehoods. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Apples and oranges.  Don't you see the obvious difference? Whether Becton is working hard is a question of fact (current events... not future forecast).  Your example is one of future prophecy...  on a different levell of untrustworthy.

So is Becton working hard ("his butt off") or not?  It's either yes or no... and someone knows the truth.  It's not a question of where Becton will be in a couple of years down the road where the best anyone can do is speculate.

I don't know why you can't grasp this. Saleh COULD be telling he truth (Just like JD COULD have wanted Adams for life)  OR he could be lying because the Jets want to trade him (just like the Jets ultimately did with Adams). 

It's the offseason. No idea why you are trying to find truth during the time of year where teams intentionally lie about everything. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilson has an endless stream of defenders no matter how poorly he played, and any jokes about him generate a host of offended E-White Knights who decry any criticism of any aspect of him, serious or humorous.

Becton was written off by most of this board as a fat lazy slob after one injury that was not his fault went longer than hoped, and now regularly gets mocked as a fat lazy worthless slob we're better off without. 

As of today, Becton is better O-lineman than Zach is a QB.  We'll see what their respective futures hold, but the homerism for one and the aggressive hatred of the other is, IMO, very clear in the majority.

I'm not sure I agree that the homerism is the majority for Wilson -- or at least not a strong majority. Unlike Darnold who was constantly given the benefit of the doubt I think A LOT of the board has been very critical of Wilson and is already thinking he's clearly not the guy.

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not sure I agree that the homerism is the majority for Wilson -- or at least not a strong majority. Unlike Darnold who was constantly given the benefit of the doubt I think A LOT of the board has been very critical of Wilson and is already thinking he's clearly not the guy.

That's interesting, actually.  I think it's just as strong for Wilson as it was for Darnold at this stage.

Nobody is asking but here is my official stance on Becton. He has the size, strength and explosive power to be a road grader at the tackle position. At his peak, he is unmatched by many current and former players. I'm not saying that he doesn't have heart, but he doesn't give the impression that he has elite player heart. He isn't the first player to arrive at the practice facility, and he isn't closing the facility with the janitor like you hear about with some players. I am still a Becton fan and I have huge hopes for him. 

This may sound silly to compare him to a professional wrestler, but HHH wrestled a match with a completely torn quadriceps tendon and let Jericho put him in a boston crab to end the match. Triple H lived in a hotel in Alabama near his physical therapy clinic. He did PT full time (9 hours days) 5 days a week, with two half days on weekends. He also managed to get an hour of his own personal workout time if he had a good day of rehab. Something tells me that if HHH was an NFL player, the rehab would have been exactly the same. This injury happened in 2001, but I doubt that HHH would be focusing on his Twitch streaming career. 

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilson has an endless stream of defenders no matter how poorly he played, and any jokes about him generate a host of offended E-White Knights who decry any criticism of any aspect of him, serious or humorous.

Becton was written off by most of this board as a fat lazy slob after one injury that was not his fault went longer than hoped, and now regularly gets mocked as a fat lazy worthless slob we're better off without. 

As of today, Becton is better O-lineman than Zach is a QB.  We'll see what their respective futures hold, but the homerism for one and the aggressive hatred of the other is, IMO, very clear in the majority.

Tbh. You're kinda doing for Becton what you accuse others of doing for Wilson...

Matt Leblanc Reaction GIF

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It's amazing to me the difference in treatment for Becton vs. Wilson here at JN.  

Why? Both have potential and was drafted for it . One seems to be trying to reach  his potential though so far so awful. Other one showed up to camp, got owned, got hurt the first games and it appears not really trying too hard to come back. Plus, first year verses second year. Other than that potential thing I fail to see a single similarity in the two. 

46 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't know why you can't grasp this. Saleh COULD be telling he truth (Just like JD COULD have wanted Adams for life)  OR he could be lying because the Jets want to trade him (just like the Jets ultimately did with Adams). 

It's the offseason. No idea why you are trying to find truth during the time of year where teams intentionally lie about everything. 

You do not know the difference between reporting current events and unverifiable future predictions.  Joe Douglas may have been telling the truth about what he wanted at the time and not lying.  Circumstances change.  But with repect to whether or not Becton is working hard, that is something that can and should be verifiable.

As I said.  Apples and oranges, but thanks for chiming in.

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Why? Both have potential and was drafted for it . One seems to be trying to reach  his potential though so far so awful. Other one showed up to camp, got owned, got hurt the first games and it appears not really trying too hard to come back. Plus, first year verses second year. Other than that potential thing I fail to see a single similarity in the two. 

Just read your post:  "it appears not really trying too hard to come back".

Says who?  A bunch of forum folks?  

For as much rope as you gave to "Free Denzel", I'd expect you to be a bit more open minded to a kid having a lost season due to injury.  

Give the kid a chance.  If he comes into camp in 2022 out of shape, he'll be gone.  Till then, he had a solid rookie year and a lost 2nd year.  Writing him off, or worse going full scorched earth with all the fat lazy slob talk, is just bad form at best.

• Upvote 3

Not a fan of either.  Think both are misses. The differences - Becton looked good year 1.  Looked like Joe hit on that one.  Thereafter a complete drop off in play.  Kid is lazy and doesn’t want to do the hard stuff.  Wilson, on the other hand, did not look good year 1.  However, it appears he’s putting in the work and actually wants it.  Does Wilson have “it”?  I don’t think so, but at least he is trying.  Becton might be out of the league in 2-3 years.  Wilson at least will be a #2 somewhere.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mogglez said:

When you have a problem staying in shape, and you show up to minicamp injured because you are out of shape, it matters.

Except the injury he suffered that cost him the season didn't have anything to do with being out of shape. 

He could have been in literally the best shape of any NFL player in history, you get rolled up on like that, you get hurt.

The best thing for the Jets is for Becton to get healthy, and learn from his weak 2021 camp, and play like he did his rookie season.

So rather than call him a fat lazy slob, when I have no idea if that is true, or what his status is today, I'm just gonna go ahead and root for him to be ok and come back strong. 

After all, if we're going make the worst QB in the NFL any good this coming year, having Becton perform up to expectation would sure help.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

When you have a problem staying in shape, and you show up to minicamp injured because you are out of shape, it matters.

Kinda always surprising to me how little fans think things matter with guys getting paid as much as hey do. For a guy like Becton at this point in his career (especially with it teetering) everything matters.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Just to play devil's advocate, I treat a lot of people who get severe plantar's from over use/ doing something wrong in their workout.   Wind up with inflammation in the Achilles or calf, which goes down into the bottom of the foot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Except the injury he suffered that cost him the season didn't have anything to do with being out of shape. 

He could have been in literally the best shape of any NFL player in history, you get rolled up on like that, you get hurt.

The best thing for the Jets is for Becton to get healthy, and learn from his weak 2021 camp, and play like he did his rookie season.

So rather than call him a fat lazy slob, when I have no idea if that is true, or what his status is today, I'm just gonna go ahead and root for him to be ok and come back strong. 

After all, if we're going make the worst QB in the NFL any good this coming year, having Becton perform up to expectation would sure help.

Projecting and speculating is part of what’s fun about being a fan. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Just read your post:  "it appears not really trying too hard to come back".

Says who?  A bunch of forum folks?  

For as much rope as you gave to "Free Denzel", I'd expect you to be a bit more open minded to a kid having a lost season due to injury.  

Give the kid a chance.  If he comes into camp in 2022 out of shape, he'll be gone.  Till then, he had a solid rookie year and a lost 2nd year.  Writing him off, or worse going full scorched earth with all the fat lazy slob talk, is just bad form at best.

His injury was suppose to be 6-8 weeks. Been a bit longer. That’s all, not sure we heard of an actual rehab/recovery based reason. People guess it’s his size, I guess it’s that and maybe he is feeling overwhelmed. Tough camp and early injury. Sophomore slump? Only thing we know is he had an injury to keep him out 6-8 weeks and it turned into a season ending injury. 

Yes, but you know me well enough to know I don’t follow the crowd here and I was literally losing my shit when Becton was drafted because I didn’t want him. I created  “ Baby poop soft” for him.

I was wrong about Denzel, wow, oh so, oh so wrong. I would LOVE to be wrong about Becton. 

I typically keep fat lazy slob for describing myself. Becton, until he proves otherwise he is Baby Poop soft. “ Prove  me wrong big fella, prove me wrong!” 

As far as the streaming thing, that’s a zero tell. As you know I got two Boys touch older than Becton. Be weirder if he wasn’t doing that streaming stuff. 

• Upvote 2

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/f1/01/C4894F52-6267-499F-9A08-517DE830802B/tmp.gif

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

The one that made him miss all of minicamp? Plantar Fasciitis?  It was related to his weight.

Just to be clear Mogglez, and you know I love ya man!

While more overweight people seem to suffer from Plantar Fasciitis (as do runners), you cannot blame Becton for having Plantar Fasciitis. There are plenty of people much larger than him who do not suffer from the issue.  The reasons could be plenty: he is big and plays football; he compensates for another injury; I mean, there just isn't enough known about it.  We get it!  You don't like Becton.  If he comes back and sucks this year, you can light the torches and chase him out of the village!  But you never know, he could surprise....even you!

36 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Just to be clear Mogglez, and you know I love ya man!

While more overweight people seem to suffer from Plantar Fasciitis (as do runners), you cannot blame Becton for having Plantar Fasciitis. There are plenty of people much larger than him who do not suffer from the issue.  The reasons could be plenty: he is big and plays football; he compensates for another injury; I mean, there just isn't enough known about it.  We get it!  You don't like Becton.  If he comes back and sucks this year, you can light the torches and chase him out of the village!  But you never know, he could surprise....even you!

I do like Becton though!  I want to make that clear.  I spent an entire season eating crow because I wasn’t sure of the pick at the time.  I thought he was an absolute BEAST his rookie year.  My concerns with him now are, honestly, I think he went into last year reading too many of his own press clippings.  I want the kid to reignite that fire he had his rookie season.  I’m concerned that he might have lost that a little.

As for the Plantar Fasciitis, both Saleh and Becton himself kind of alluded to it being due to his weight during mini camp.