False Narrative 'Jets Have So Many Holes'

McNeil

I can argue this narrative likewise has holes in it. For this primary reason: Zacharias Wilson.

When you have a QB playing at a high level in today's game, you can generally compete with any team and defeat a bunch of others. See: Jets vs. Tampa, as one example. Wilson looked great that day, he belonged on that field every bit as much as Brady. Yes obviously one game does not an elite QB make. Lest we forget everyone gushing over Darnold in a similar late-season situation vs Green Bay & A-aron Rodgers (A-aron = Key & Peele bit - great stuff).

Great QB play is more value added than ever.

So if Zach begins attaining the potential the Jets, myself & many see - suddenly what seemed like a team full of holes, can be a team that's a tough out.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, McNeil said:

I can argue this narrative likewise has holes in it. For this primary reason: Zacharias Wilson.

When you have a QB playing at a high level in today's game, you can generally compete with any team and defeat a bunch of others. See: Jets vs. Tampa, as one example. Wilson looked great that day, he belonged on that field every bit as much as Brady. Yes obviously one game does not an elite QB make. Lest we forget everyone gushing over Darnold in a similar late-season situation vs Green Bay & A-aron Rodgers (A-aron = Key & Peele bit - great stuff).

So if Zach begins attaining the potential the Jets, myself & many see - suddenly what seemed like a team full of holes, can be a team that's a tough out.

that's true to an extent but this all assumes that the players are available for every game.  very few jets players made it through the whole season.  i believe only berrios was an available receiver for all 17 games.  so maybe there aren't so many hole talent wise but all the talent in the world is meaningless if it's planted on the bench or in the whirlpool.  and if they don't have so many holes they could still significantly upgrade a number of positions.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

place kicker, we are on about our 8th lets hope this guy is any good kicker since douglas took over.

Maybe.

Pinero was actually very good in his small sample.  8 of 8 made including 1 over 50 and 3 over 40.  9 of 10 on XPs.  Let's see how he looks this summer, but I'm not automatically assuming we have nothing there.

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Maybe.

Pinero was actually very good in his small sample.  8 of 8 made including 1 over 50 and 3 over 40.  9 of 10 on XPs.  Let's see how he looks this summer, but I'm not automatically assuming we have nothing there.

We have said the same thing about 'small sample' guys 5 times over.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, McNeil said:

When did the Jets get this?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The jets have holes in the following areas.

HUGE hole at pass rusher, now will lawson come back and look good?  who knows but you have to get to the QB, we don't.

At least one safety, huge hole we were trotting in guys from other teams psquads and starting them last year.

ILB huge hole, we had a terrible run defense and the lbs could oy tackle 10 yards down the field.

Tight end, grand canyon like hole. by far the worst collection TE's in the league, when most successful teams have one or two really good TEs we had none.

right guard, huge hole, not even a passable player there for most of last year.

place kicker, we are on about our 8th lets hope this guy is any good kicker since douglas took over.

A young QB cannot make up for low talent in other areas.  Do you need pro bowlers at every spot?  No but if you want to actually be good you cannot be dead weak at any spot.

The jets have lots of holes.

And all those holes can be fixed in 1-2 drafts and F/A periods. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Maybe.

Happy to have him and Amendola battle it out this summer. I’ll be rooting for Amendola. 

• Upvote 2

The Jets team roster has more red flags then a Chinese parade. 

Our entire secondary contains guys that at best would slot in as key reserves on good teams (Hall and Davis). 

We have two edge rushers slotted to combine for a grand total of around $30M and we're still hoping for an upgrade in the draft.

Our LB crew Mosley aside would account for a strong second unit but definitely not starters worthy. 

Interior DL had everyone rushing up the gut to the point one would have thought it was Grand Central rush hour.

Should I get started on the offense? Let me not. Ok probably just one thing. Our best unit on the team is the OL, in which many want to draft a RG 4th overall. In the words of Chad Ochocinco, "child please."

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Maybe.

FWIW, the other night on the STH call, Saleh was very high on him. Said he will bring in competition, but spoke well of him.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Honestly, if your “huge holes,” are at non-premium positions like guard, safety, ILB, TE, and kicker(?!?) then maybe something right has been going on the last two years. 

This is why I keep preaching Edge and WR. Those are the only premium holes. This team is not far away, especially if Zach takes a jump that makes the OP proud this season. 

For this Jets team I would sort of list TE as higher in importance than just a hole. I am OK with overpaying Schultz and using 2 picks before the end of the third round on TE,

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

For this Jets team I would sort of list TE as higher in importance than just a hole. I am OK with overpaying Schultz and using 2 picks before the end of the third round on TE,

TE is an issue. I’m good with a top free agent and day two draft pick. But overpaying the top FA (potentially) on the market and drafting two more TEs with two of their first five picks?

Pretty aggressive strategy. 

9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Tarick Black, Trevon Wesco , Nick Bawden, DJ Montgomery, Jeff Smith, Rodney Adams and Kenny Yeboah say hi. 

We're developing!!

In all seriousness tho, this team definitely has holes but a lot of them were planned with the way JD set up his contracts (hence all the cap space) and a lot of the holes that made the Jets so bad this year were due to injuries.

LB- While our LB group looked pathetic, Mosley actually held his own. Davis was a letdown and can now walk, and Sherwood and Nas should be back to once again compete for the weak side LB spot- both hurt a majority of the season last year. There's a need at LB but not nec. as dire as some may think. JD can roll the dice on another short term mid level vet or he can go after a LB somewhere in the 2nd, 3rd round.  

Edge- Lawson should be coming back and even if he is not the same he is an upgrade over, well, nothing. You add Huff (also should be back) and potentially Phillips getting resigned, maybe for depth, along with a rookie along the way? Edge may not be as dire of a need either. 

G- Another position that 'feels' like its a massive hole on the o-line but if Becton comes back healthy, all the Jets really need to do (AT MINIMUM) is get back LDT or someone at his level. Yes, another sub-par, temporary solution might not sound great, but its a move that could still make this a very good o-line. 

To me, the 3 major holes JD has to address are WR, TE and S. The Jets simply have too many FAs at those positions. He has to get the Berrios' deal done and bring in another FA. Otherwise, he will be all but handcuffed to address WR in the draft- which might be fine but not a position you nec. want to be in as a GM. They also need a Starting safety. At least one. FA, Draft, whatever. Bring in a guy who at min. would be EXPECTED to start and fits your system like a glove. I think its too much of an important position for the pass D in this scheme. And TE. To be fair, injuries plagued our TEs this year- we didn't see what they could become. But we need at least one guy who can be a playmaker. Like so many other Jet fans, I'm pushing for McBride. But I also like Wydermyer. Bring in a mid-level FA vet on top of that, as many have already stated and that would be more than enough for now. The Jets don't need to overpay for Schultz (although for the record I'm on board for any player who produces and he did just that), and they don't need to double-dip in the draft (although I also believe this is a deep draft at TE and taking 2 wouldn't be the worst move).      

11 hours ago, slats said:

TE is an issue. I’m good with a top free agent and day two draft pick. But overpaying the top FA (potentially) on the market and drafting two more TEs with two of their first five picks?

Pretty aggressive strategy. 

Overpaying Schultz would be something like $12 million a year which is about 20% over the tag. But he is so young you could structure it that it has very little cap impact until like season 3 or 4 when we will have tons of cap space and we could restructure anyway around then. I see it as pretty low risk. Since 50% of picks fail I am thinking if we sign Schultz and draft 2 we have an excellent chance of having an elite TE core. One of the TEs drafted would be a WR/TE hybrid maybe. But I would absolutely overpay Schultz.

i said this in another thread. the Jets were close to 9 wins last year.

both Miami games tied in the 4th qt

Atlanta game down by 3 in the 4th

Carolina down by 5 in the 4th.

TB should have been a win.

with all the bitching and complaining all year about how bad Zach was and how JD and Saleh needed to be fired, we almost won 9 games with a struggling rookie QB, tons of injuries and a bad defense. 

if JD hits in this draft i can see us winning 9 games this year.

but he need to draft the right positions. Edge, WR, TE, S. that should be the 1st four picks. 

18 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

And all those holes can be fixed in 1-2 drafts and F/A periods. 

I would say that we have enough assets to fix all of our holes on the team if Lawson and a bunch of guys come back strong that were out. We have money to spend and a ton of picks. Just in the first 4 picks we could grab starters. If we sign 4 players in free agency, that's 8 solid players we are adding to the team and we haven't even counted our 3rd or 4th rounders. Now they don't typically all hit, but most of them will be serviceable starters.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

i said this in another thread. the Jets were close to 9 wins last year.

both Miami games tied in the 4th qt

Atlanta game down by 3 in the 4th

Carolina down by 5 in the 4th.

TB should have been a win.

with all the bitching and complaining all year about how bad Zach was and how JD and Saleh needed to be fired, we almost won 9 games with a struggling rookie QB, tons of injuries and a bad defense. 

if JD hits in this draft i can see us winning 9 games this year.

but he need to draft the right positions. Edge, WR, TE, S. that should be the 1st four picks. 

Yeah, that makes no sense.  By that logic, if a game decided by a single score can be arbitrarily considered a win for the losing team, then you could use the same logic to argue that the Jets were similarly close, if not closer, to being a 0 win team.

"Only" 8 games of the season being complete blowout losses is not exactly a ringing endorsement for a team.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, that makes no sense.  By that logic, if a game decided by a single score can be arbitrarily considered a win for the losing team, then you could use the same logic to argue that the Jets were similarly close, if not closer, to being a 0 win team.

"Only" 8 games of the season being complete blowout losses is not exactly a ringing endorsement for a team.

it does make sense. tied games or down by 3 or 5 in the 4th qt are winnable games.  

a stop here, a play there. 

the Atlanta game we were down 20-17 and Atlanta went 75 yds for a score to go up by 10. next drive we go 44 yds on 12 plays. 

we got 4 1st downs on that last drive. and got a FG. if we make a stop on that drive we tie the game going into OT. even if they get a FG to go up by 6 that would have gave us more time to maybe get a TD. Zach was 6-9 70 yds on that last drive. how many more guys did we need to get the win. how many holes had to be fill? not alot.

same with the other games. 

you read this board and some people act like all 13 losses were blowouts. 

On 2/25/2022 at 2:19 PM, rangerous said:

that's true to an extent but this all assumes that the players are available for every game.  very few jets players made it through the whole season.  i believe only berrios was an available receiver for all 17 games.  so maybe there aren't so many hole talent wise but all the talent in the world is meaningless if it's planted on the bench or in the whirlpool.  and if they don't have so many holes they could still significantly upgrade a number of positions.

Berrios missed the last game.

• Upvote 1