Post cuts cap space - $62.2M

Resign

Eddy Pineiro K 2 year / $2M - $1M Cap Hit

Tim Ward DE 1 yr / $920k - 920K Cap Hit

Mike White QB 1 yr / $1M - $1M Cap hit

Total - $2.9M

Cap at start of free agency: $59.3

Trai Turner G age (at start of season): 29 3 year / $18.75M - $6.25M per year

A couple years removed from his pro bowl years, this past year in Pittsburgh was a good bounce back year for him. He played this past year on a prove-it deal and he played pretty well coming back from injury.

Alternative FA: Austin Corbett, LAR age: 26. Perhaps a little more expensive than Turner, coming off of the Super Bowl win.

DJ Reed CB age: 25 3 year / $24M - $8M per year

Undersized and may not make it to free agency, but originally a 49er that spent the last 2 years on the Seahawks. He is a young corner that is quietly becoming a very good defender.

Alternative FA: Rasul Douglas, GB Age: 26

Cedrick Wilson WR age: 26 2 year / $13M - 6.5M per year

Versatile to play inside and outside, YAC/R ranked 10th

Alternative FA: Braxton Berrios, though maybe more expensive

David Njoku TE age: 26 3 year / $21M - $7M per year

Versatile TE. YAC/R ranked 2nd. 1 year removed from being the highest graded blocking tight end by PFF.

Alternative FA: Mo Alie-Cox

Raheem Mostert RB age: 30 1 year / $2M - $2M per year

Knows the system, coming off an injury and will be 30 soon. Not ideal for a veteran RB, but if he is able to get back healthy, would be a solid option to run behind Carter.

Alternative FA: Darrel Williams, KC age: 27

DJ Jones DT age: 27 3 year / $27M - $9M per year

49er coming off a really good year, reunites with Saleh. Got better every year and hitting his prime.

Alternative FA: Foley Fatukasi, though maybe more expensive

Arden Key EDGE age: 26 2 year / $9M - 4.5M per year

Another 49er coming off a good year. It seems like Key may have finally put it altogether. Coming off a 6.5 sack year in limited playing time, he was one of the most efficient edge rushers this past year. With an expanded role, perhaps a little more production.

Alternative FA: Rasheem Green, SEA age: 25

$ 43.25M - cost

$ 16.05M - remaining

approximately $13.1M needed to sign rookies

Draft If Thibodeaux were to fall to 4 ...

#4 Kayvon Thibodeaux - EDGE - Oregon

#10 Trevor Penning - OL - Northern Iowa

If not...

#4 Ikem Ekwonu - OL - NC State

#10 Travon Walker - EDGE - Florida State

#35 John Metchie - WR - Alabama

#38 Jaquan Brisker - S - Penn State

#69 Jeremy Ruckert - TE - Ohio State

#110 Lecitus Smith - G - Virginia Tech

#116 Cameron Jurgens - C - Nebraska

#146 Dontario Drummond - WR - Ole Miss

#163 Matt Araiza - P - San Diego State

$2.95M under the cap

If they need to free up more cap space, they could attempt to restructure contracts: CJ Mosley, Carl Lawson, etc

Post-draft

Trade Denzel Mims for a 2023 pick

Cut Braden Mann

QB: Zach Wilson

RB: Carter, Mostert

WR: Moore, Davis, Cedrick Wilson, Metchie, Drummond

TE: Njoku, Ruckert

OL: Fant, Becton, Ekwonu/Penning, Vera-Tucker, McGovern, Turner, Jurgens, Smith

DL: Lawson, Quinnen Williams, Franklin-Myers, Thibodeaux/Johnson, Jones, Key

LB: Mosley, Quincy Williams, Nasirildeen, Phillips, Hamilcar

CB: Hall, Echols, Carter, Reed

S: Davis, Brisker

K: Pineiro

P: Araiza

• Upvote 3

“A” for effort. But I’m not a fan of this roster. 

Notes:  

-Mostert is a light-bodied speed back. We need a bruiser to pair with MC1. 

-Penning and/or Icky would play IOL why dedicate  two more picks to IOL?

-We need more talent in the secondary. Reed and Brisker would be uninspiring.

-Drafting another punter, in the 5th, seems like a wasted resource. 

-I like the Metchie play in the second, and pairing him with a big-bodied late round pick.

-I like your “building trenches” approach on Day1, but that Day3 is horr-i-ble! Take my upvote and never do this again :)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I like a few of the FA signings but there comes a time when we need to retain captains and Foli is one of those times. I know he is more of a 3-4 guy but JFM played out of position and got paid. 

Interesting pick with Penning. Are you on the “Becton is done” wagon? I think this is why everyone likes Icky as insurance since he can play inside.  

finally, why no love for Braden Mann? I personally don’t think you will get much out of a fifth rounder but it seems to be a waste of a pick to draft a punter for the second year in a row. A kicker would be less of a kick in the gonads with the terrible showing we had at the position last year. 

Just now, GangGreen Machine said:

I like a few of the FA signings but there comes a time when we need to retain captains and Foli is one of those times. I know he is more of a 3-4 guy but JFM played out of position and got paid. 

Interesting pick with Penning. Are you on the “Becton is done” wagon? I think this is why everyone likes Icky as insurance since he can play inside.  

finally, why no love for Braden Mann? I personally don’t think you will get much out of a fifth rounder but it seems to be a waste of a pick to draft a punter for the second year in a row. A kicker would be less of a kick in the gonads with the terrible showing we had at the position last year. 

Correction Mann was drafted in 2020 but I still think he would suffice. 

11 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

I like the Metchie play in the second, and pairing him with a big-bodied late round pick.

@nyjbuddy I also would give an A for effort, and I'm mostly OK with the whole package... Safety aside, i don't think we need more than 1 CB (high pick or premier FA)... the rest is fairly solid.

Except...

The WR & RB room. I appreciate the diversity in perspective in 2022; there's camps across the spectrum this year on both FAs/current roster/draft prospects... makes for robust dialoge... I, however, would vomit if the JETS called METCHIE's name in round 2... Drummond is a better prospect. You were fine with just that one. Your FA Wilson is about 9.5/10 for underwhelming... Add your addition to the RB room was Mostert and I'm feeling nauseous for our offense. The Raheem era is over. That man will never see north of 100 carries in a season again - i'd bet on that... Yes, Carter is a gangster, but he is not All Day Peterson, or any other blue chip RB... we 100% need another thug on the 53. 

So good stuff, but really missed the mark on O at skill position for me. 

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

@nyjbuddy I also would give an A for effort, and I'm mostly OK with the whole package... Safety aside, i don't think we need more than 1 CB (high pick or premier FA)... the rest is fairly solid.

Except...

The WR & RB room. I appreciate the diversity in perspective in 2022; there's camps across the spectrum this year on both FAs/current roster/draft prospects... makes for robust dialoge... I, however, would vomit if the JETS called METCHIE's name in round 2... Disgusting in my books. Drummond is a better prospect. You were fine with just that one. Your FA Wilson is about 9.5/10 for underwhelming... Add your addition to the RB room was Mostert and I'm feeling nauseous for our offense. The Raheem era is over. That man will never see north of 100 carries in a season again - i'd bet on that... Yes, Carter is a gangster, but he is not All Day Peterson, or any other blue chip RB... we 100% need another thug on the 53. 

I’d like a Shone Greene/Chris Ivory type out of this draft. Someone with some juice but can also pop the pads. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Except...

The WR & RB room. I appreciate the diversity in perspective in 2022; there's camps across the spectrum this year on both FAs/current roster/draft prospects... makes for robust dialoge... I, however, would vomit if the JETS called METCHIE's name in round 2... Drummond is a better prospect. You were fine with just that one. Your FA Wilson is about 9.5/10 for underwhelming... Add your addition to the RB room was Mostert and I'm feeling nauseous for our offense. The Raheem era is over. That man will never see north of 100 carries in a season again - i'd bet on that... Yes, Carter is a gangster, but he is not All Day Peterson, or any other blue chip RB... we 100% need another thug on the 53. 

Why you no like Metchie?

42 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Why you no like Metchie?

Honestly? He's as non-descript as they come. Avg hands, route running is labored, reasonably physical with the ball in his hands, but plays nervous vs DBs. Doesn't' look like he separates well; relies a lot on schemed free release and slants through zone... i think he'll get his lunch fed to him in press/man. Hate to do the jersey thing, but... remember Ardarius? 

Here i just found this -- ugh. I might take him in the 7th as a ST development guy? The first flag shoulda been #8

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Honestly? He's as non-descript as they come. Avg hands, route running is labored, reasonably physical with the ball in his hands, but plays nervous vs DBs. Doesn't' look like he separates well; relies a lot on schemed free release and slants through zone... i think he'll get his lunch fed to him in press/man. Hate to do the jersey thing, but... remember Ardarius? 

Here i just found this -- ugh. I might take him in the 7th as a ST development guy? The first flag shoulda been #8

You picked one of his two lowest production games, when he faced a potential first round CB.  Why not watch one of the double-digit rec. games, thriple-digit yardage games, or multiple TD games against ranked teams?

I think he shows at the combine some legit wheels, sub 4.3 or close to it.  Which will blow Ardarius Stewart (4.49) outta the water.

7th round pick?!  It’s a shock he might slide to the 2nd. 

15 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

You picked one of his two lowest production games, when he faced a potential first round CB.  Why not watch one of the double-digit rec. games, thriple-digit yardage games, or multiple TD games against ranked teams?

I think he shows at the combine some legit wheels, sub 4.3 or close to it.  Which will blow Ardarius Stewart (4.49) outta the water.

Metchie tore his ACL in December. He’s not going to be running at the combine unless he’s not actually human. Also, sub 4.3 is insanely fast. Metchie isn’t remotely close to that kind of speed.

I do want to retain Berrios, he is a guy that has actually improved each  year, has some QB chemistry and does provide proven kick return ability.

Penning worries me to the point of not being a fan at 10.

In your draft you  are listing travon walker as being from FSU, he is from Georgia i think?  You may have been meaning jermaine johnson?

Don't need to draft  a punter, i would rather draft a Fg kicker.  Pinero is no solution.

I like some of the concepts, TE would be much improved.

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

lol cmon. You think i just watched that game? Put on any game. He gets his release from that stack formation, or runs sloppy slants. He doesn't do much of anything vs man, and doesn't seem own the space around him. The florida game just showed you glimpse of what he will look like on Sunday. 

I don't like him, at all. 

46 minutes ago, derp said:

Metchie tore his ACL in December. He’s not going to be running at the combine unless he’s not actually human. Also, sub 4.3 is insanely fast. Metchie isn’t remotely close to that kind of speed.

From what I’ve read it was a clean tear, his rehab is going well, and while he won’t be sprinting next week, some scouts are on record saying he’s faster than Waddle.  

I thought Waddle was a fast 4.3 guy so when I said JMIII was a sub 4.3 (or close to it), I might be a tad bit off but I wouldn’t say he’s not “remotely” close to it.  Even a tenth of a second is “remotely” close to it. 

46 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

From what I’ve read it was a clean tear, his rehab is going well, and while he won’t be sprinting next week, some scouts are on record saying he’s faster than Waddle.  

I thought Waddle was a fast 4.3 guy so when I said JMIII was a sub 4.3 (or close to it), I might be a tad bit off but I wouldn’t say he’s not “remotely” close to it.  Even a tenth of a second is “remotely” close to it. 

I mean, if he’s not sprinting next week he’s not running at the combine.

Can you link to that scout comment? Regardless, having watched him I’d be very surprised if he was even sub 4.4 if healthy. Almost seems like you have him mixed up with Williams, who is very fast.

Really thoughtful, thank you. 

I’ve struggled trying to fill all the holes in 1 draft/FA year. We really have to think about it over the course of 2022 and 2023 (yes, I know what the Bengals did). That said, I think we should go with the strength of this draft and take WR talent. Yours is light there. I do love the attention to OL.

9 hours ago, derp said:

I mean, if he’s not sprinting next week he’s not running at the combine.

Can you link to that scout comment? Regardless, having watched him I’d be very surprised if he was even sub 4.4 if healthy. Almost seems like you have him mixed up with Williams, who is very fast.

There’s this: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/john-metchie-iii-alabama-wr-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

There’s this: https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/05/06/john-metchie-devonta-smith-jaylen-waddle-nfl-draft-scout/

This site: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/John-Metchie-WR-Alabama

Perhaps you think he’s slow because he’s on the field with Jameson Williams? Doesn’t matter, they’re both very fast, and both excellent receivers who, despite injury, are not “7th round/developmental ST types.”  Time will tell, right? 

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

There’s this: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/john-metchie-iii-alabama-wr-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

There’s this: https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/05/06/john-metchie-devonta-smith-jaylen-waddle-nfl-draft-scout/

This site: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/John-Metchie-WR-Alabama

Perhaps you think he’s slow because he’s on the field with Jameson Williams? Doesn’t matter, they’re both very fast, and both excellent receivers who, despite injury, are not “7th round/developmental ST types.”  Time will tell, right? 

I’m not the guy who called him a 7th rounder.

I’m the one who said the idea he was going to be sub 4.3 at the combine - which I see 14 guys total have done since 1999 - was a stretch. Especially given he tore his ACL in December and he’s not going to be running at the combine.

I also didn’t say he’s slow, that’s you being hyperbolic. Not running sub 4.3 or sub 4.4 doesn’t mean you’re slow. Again, I thought the idea he was sub 4.3 - which puts him as basically one of the one to two fastest players in the draft - was silly given he’s the second player at his own position on his college team. 

Pretty much anything sub 4.5 is fast, sub 4.4 is very fast, and sub 4.3 is one of the fastest players in the NFL fast. Most of the guys who went sub 4.3 weren’t even good at football, just fast.

Alabama has had a lot of good wide receivers come out. They all are effectively fast on the field. Ruggs was sub-4.3, on a different level speed wise from Metchie. Guys like Cooper, Jeudy, Ridley all ran in the 4.4’s. I wouldn’t say any of them are slow and having watched Metchie think he is at best is comparable speed wise to those guys. Definitely not Ruggs or Waddle.

Regardless this back and forth doesn’t make a whole lot of sense because a big part of my original point was that he’s not going to run at the combine, so we’ll never know how fast he is and this remains a big hypothetical. But I didn’t call him a 7th rounder and saying someone won’t run sub 4.3 doesn’t mean they’re slow. At all.

33 minutes ago, derp said:

I’m not the guy who called him a 7th rounder.

I’m the one who said the idea he was going to be sub 4.3 at the combine - which I see 14 guys total have done since 1999 - was a stretch. Especially given he tore his ACL in December and he’s not going to be running at the combine.

I also didn’t say he’s slow, that’s you being hyperbolic. Not running sub 4.3 or sub 4.4 doesn’t mean you’re slow. Again, I thought the idea he was sub 4.3 - which puts him as basically one of the one to two fastest players in the draft - was silly given he’s the second player at his own position on his college team. 

Pretty much anything sub 4.5 is fast, sub 4.4 is very fast, and sub 4.3 is one of the fastest players in the NFL fast. Most of the guys who went sub 4.3 weren’t even good at football, just fast.

Alabama has had a lot of good wide receivers come out. They all are effectively fast on the field. Ruggs was sub-4.3, on a different level speed wise from Metchie. Guys like Cooper, Jeudy, Ridley all ran in the 4.4’s. I wouldn’t say any of them are slow and having watched Metchie think he is at best is comparable speed wise to those guys. Definitely not Ruggs or Waddle.

Regardless this back and forth doesn’t make a whole lot of sense because a big part of my original point was that he’s not going to run at the combine, so we’ll never know how fast he is and this remains a big hypothetical. But I didn’t call him a 7th rounder and saying someone won’t run sub 4.3 doesn’t mean they’re slow. At all.

Derp, 

You inserted yourself in my response to Paradis who made the 7th round/ ST comments.  In my response to him I said “sub 4.3 (or close to it),” so yes I assumed you were read up on the argument.

Is what I said hyperbolic? Yes, absolutely. 
Is “close to it” subjective?  Yes, absolutely. Why ignore the subjective qualifier to my hyperbole? 

If I said “he’s a 4.3 guy” that implies a range of 4.30-4.39 and I think he’s closer to the bottom of that range. Do my eyes have the ability to make accurately timed measurements of a guy running in pads in a live gave to a hundredth of a second?

No, dude. Why would you invest so much time to debate something that can only be answered with a stop watch?

p.s., My avatar is a cartoon ******* pickle! Do I give off the vibe that I’m serious about hundredths of seconds? Or that I’m interested in debating stupid sh*t I say across multiple posts?

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Derp, 

You inserted yourself in my response to Paradis who made the 7th round/ ST comments.  In my response to him I said “sub 4.3 (or close to it),” so yes I assumed you were read up on the argument.

Is what I said hyperbolic? Yes, absolutely. 
Is “close to it” subjective?  Yes, absolutely. Why ignore the subjective qualifier to my hyperbole? 

If I said “he’s a 4.3 guy” that implies a range of 4.30-4.39 and I think he’s closer to the bottom of that range. Do my eyes have the ability to make accurately timed measurements of a guy running in pads in a live gave to a hundredth of a second?

No, dude. Why would you invest so much time to debate something that can only be answered with a stop watch?

p.s., My avatar is a cartoon ******* pickle! Do I give off the vibe that I’m serious about hundredths of seconds? Or that I’m interested in debating stupid sh*t I say across multiple posts?

And I assumed you were able to distinguish between the pieces I directly disagreed with when I quoted you (sub 4.3 or close to it at the combine three months after tearing an ACL) and the piece I didn’t address (Paradis calling him a seventh round pick).

I find the draft interesting. I like talking about it. You’re in the draft forum. That happens here. And I’m up late for reasons out of my control lately so I’ve had a little extra time. 

If you didn’t want to discuss something you could’ve said hey I said some stupid **** I’m not interested in discussing further a couple posts ago. You’ve continued to engage to this point. Your avatar is a cartoon pickle, my username is “derp”. Seems like we shouldn’t continue this exchange though.

13 minutes ago, derp said:

And I assumed you were able to distinguish between the pieces I directly disagreed with when I quoted you (sub 4.3 or close to it at the combine three months after tearing an ACL) and the piece I didn’t address (Paradis calling him a seventh round pick).

I find the draft interesting. I like talking about it. You’re in the draft forum. That happens here. And I’m up late for reasons out of my control lately so I’ve had a little extra time. 

If you didn’t want to discuss something you could’ve said hey I said some stupid **** I’m not interested in discussing further a couple posts ago. You’ve continued to engage to this point. Your avatar is a cartoon pickle, my username is “derp”. Seems like we shouldn’t continue this exchange though.

Fair enough. Let’s call Metchie a 4.4 guy. 

Where do you see him getting drafted (which round) based on his tape?

…and if drafted by the Jets do you believe he has inside/outside ability to benefit our offense from the Z or Y?

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Fair enough. Let’s call Metchie a 4.4 guy. 

Where do you see him getting drafted (which round) based on his tape?

…and if drafted by the Jets do you believe he has inside/outside ability to benefit our offense from the Z or Y?

All things considered I think he’s probably a guy who gets drafted sometime between the mid second round and the end of day two. Maybe he gets a bit of a bump for being a Bama guy since their WR track record has been solid, but he’s a tough eval.

Don’t think any of his adjusted production will stand out - which is trickier because Bama being loaded has a negative impact on his production. I think they do a good job developing their receivers there but also scheme well and have enough good pass catchers and quarterback play to benefit those guys.

Do think he can probably do what the Jets want their receivers to do. I also think the Jets really need a guy who can be an offensive centerpiece and don’t see Metchie being that guy. I think a guy who could play Y or Z would ideally be an offensive centerpiece type and a developmental backup would be someone who could take over for Davis as an X.

They could probably use bodies too and maybe think Metchie could help there but I don’t see a difference maker or much of an outside path to being that guy based on who he was in college, and I think that’s what the Jets need. He’s more someone who would produce on a good offense in my opinion. Also think the Jets need day one impact for Wilson and the ACL throws that for a loop.

There’s a stretch scenario where the Jets sign Mike Williams or draft London or even maybe Burks and develop Metchie to take over for Davis in 3 wide after he expires but I’d be surprised if they invested that heavily in WR.

All that said I could be and likely am dead wrong about how they view the position roster construction wise.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:48 AM, GangGreen Machine said:

The thought behind the many o-line picks is looking towards the future, and specifically 2023. As of today, there is one guaranteed starter under contract (Alijah Vera-Tucker). George Fant and Connor McGovern are both in the last year of their contracts and they have no RG or RT as of today.

The hope is Becton comes back and supplants Fant on the left, and they move Fant over to the RT for one year. The Jets move the 1st round o-line pick (Ekwonu/Penning) inside to RG. They both have experience playing guard. Next year the Jets can let Fant walk and push the 1st rounder out to RT.

If Becton does not take over the LT position, then the Jets would extend Fant to starting LT money and figure out what to do with Becton. Could they move Becton to the other side, or inside, or trade him?

As for McGovern, he may need another contract by the end of the year, but hopefully the Jets can find a younger replacement. Cameron Jurgens is someone that looks to have the athleticism to fit the scheme of a quick, fluid, powerful center. He is undersized for the type of lineman typical of this offense. One year of developing behind McGovern will allow him to training with an NFL weight training staff and understand the playbook.

Optimistically, the offensive line in 2023 looks like this:

LT: Becton (under contract until 2024)

LG: AVT (under contract until 2025)

? Jurgens (under contract until 2025)

RG: Turner / Smith (under contract until 2025)

RT: 1st rounder (Ekwonu or Penning) (under contract until 2026)

Offensive line built to grow with Zach Wilson for at least the next 2-3 seasons.

On 2/26/2022 at 6:27 AM, nycdan said:

Great effort but the WR core is underwhelming and I think that's too important to let flounder another season.

Everyone wants a stud wide receiver but after reading articles and listening to podcast pertaining to the Shanahan style offense (Mike Shanahan’s tree), I am not sure this offense needs a WR1 “prospect”. They need a WR1 but not necessarily a WR1 “prospect”. Looking through the scouting reports of the wide receivers selected by Shanahan disciples (Packers, Rams, 49ers, and Jets), we can see the type of wide receivers they typically draft or acquire to develop within their system. They need to be versatile to play at all alignments, outside/inside, left/right and can be playmakers after the catch. We hear it every time someone from the Shanahan tree gets hired as a head coach or offensive coordinator. We heard it directly from the Jets when asked about Mims’ playing time.

Davante Adams, probably the closes to a WR1 coming out of college. He was in GB before LaFleur took over, but he has had some of his best seasons in LaFleur’s offense. His scouting report often highlighted that he was not a number 1 WR, but could be a solid number 2. Quote from Walter football: “Adams may not have the elite speed or size to be a No. 1 receiver, but he should be a solid No. 2.”

Cooper Kupp, drafted by the Rams, has shined in McVay’s system. Here is a scouting report from Matt Waldman, “Pre-Draft Grade – 83.9 (Rotational Starter): Executes at a starter level in a role playing to their strengths.” And from Lance Zierlein, “His transition to NFL-level cornerbacks will take time, but he has the ability to become an early No. 3 receiver and eventual starter.”

Robert Woods was supposed to be the number 1 in Buffalo, but after his rookie contract they did not resign him, for he did not live up to being the number 1. On March 9, 2017, Bryan Kalbrosky wrote about the Woods signing by the Rams, “Woods is not necessarily going to be a No. 1 receiver for the Rams but is a nice complement to Tavon Austin to in the slot role next season.”

Deebo Samuel also did not get the number 1 wide receiver tag when coming out of South Carolina. According to Jon Ledyard of The Draft Network: “I think he’s outstanding after the catch and a good route-runner, but he does project as more of a high-caliber complementary piece in an offense rather than a feature weapon.”

Elijah Moore’s scouting report also had mentions of limitations of becoming a number 1 wide receiver, but he had the versatility for the Jets offense. Bleacher Report said of Moore, “Moore primarily lined up in the slot at Ole Miss, but he was featured in the offense and asked to align in spots across the formation based on the play call.” And, “Overall, Moore will be able to contribute right away from the slot and has the upside of being a very good No. 2 option for a good NFL offense, with his path to greater success being dictated by his ability to win on the outside.”

The choice of a WR in the second was mainly because I had prioritized o-line and EDGE over WR. If the Jets felt they could find a talented edge or o-line in the 2nd or later, that would be great. But the way I’ve seen mocks going lately, the WRs are getting pushed down while edge players and offensive linemen are being pushed up. If the Jets can grab their choice of lineman and edge in the first, it may surprise them to see a 1st round talent level wide receiver there in the early 2nd; similar to what happened last year with Moore. One or more of John Metchie, Jahan Dotson, Jameson Williams (injury concern) or Chris Olave may be there in the early 2nd.

The Cedrick Wilson signing, drafting Metchie and Drummond are all players that can create separation and are yards after the catch type wide receivers. Drummond averaged 9.2 YAC/REC, second to Jameson Williams (9.3). Metchie has 1000 YAC, since 2020. Wilson averaged 6.2 YAC/REC tied for 10th and in the same range as Kupp and Godwin. These are also wide receivers that can line up anywhere in the formation, similar to Moore and Davis, both of whom had experience lining up everywhere in college. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Jets don’t bring Keelan Cole in for another year as he also fits the profile for a wide receiver in this offense.

On 2/26/2022 at 5:54 PM, Beerfish said:

I do want to retain Berrios, he is a guy that has actually improved each  year, has some QB chemistry and does provide proven kick return ability.

Penning worries me to the point of not being a fan at 10.

In your draft you  are listing travon walker as being from FSU, he is from Georgia i think?  You may have been meaning jermaine johnson?

Don't need to draft  a punter, i would rather draft a Fg kicker.  Pinero is no solution.

I like some of the concepts, TE would be much improved.

I had Jermaine Johnson there but changed in to Travon Walker right before I posted, but forgot to change the school. Both are talented players, but at this point I chose Travon over Johnson.

As for the punter, Araiza, it may be a poor selection to take another punter but Mann has been near the bottom of the league for 2 years.  The Jets can probably find an upgrade someplace else but Araiza is a pretty good punting prospect with the ability to also kick field goals.  He had 39 50 yard punts, 18 of which went over 60 yard punts, 6 of which went over 70 yard punts and 2 that went over 80.  He also had a punt that registered as a 79 yard punt but landed in the middle of the end zone which would have been another 80+ yard punt in the air:

If he can adjust to the NFL ball and pressure, he could be a real weapon for pinning teams deep, punting from anywhere on the field.

• Upvote 1

Mike White is unlikely to resign for $1M; he's a restricted free agent, he played well enough to get some offers.

My guess is he is offered a decent amount of money to sign elsewhere and the Jets will have an opportunity to match... but if they are determined to resign Flacco, they probably will not match any offer for White if its more than $2M a year.