High-Ranking Jets Source Reveals Huge Offseason Plans: Report

PepPep

If this is true it doesn't really make a ton of sense to me. If you don't feel like reading the gist of it is that the Jets will draft a CB high or sign a CB 1 in FA. And apparently this is from a 'legit source'. The Jets have young depth at CB. IMO the impact a FA or top 10 rookie would make on the defense would be just as big as if the Jets drafted or signed an edge rusher, elite safety, or star LB. Even investing that draft pick or financial resource on the other side of the ball- lets say WR, might be a smarter move.    

High-Ranking Jets Source Reveals Huge Offseason Plans: Report | Heavy.com

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

If this is true it doesn't really make a ton of sense to me. If you don't feel like reading the gist of it is that the Jets will draft a CB high or sign a CB 1 in FA. And apparently this is from a 'legit source'. The Jets have young depth at CB. IMO the impact a FA or top 10 rookie would make on the defense would be just as big as if the Jets drafted or signed an edge rusher, elite safety, or star LB. Even investing that draft pick or financial resource on the other side of the ball- lets say WR, might be a smarter move.    

High-Ranking Jets Source Reveals Huge Offseason Plans: Report | Heavy.com

I have heard similar rumblings and I think we will take Sauce Gardner in the top 10, my gut has me concerned it will be at #4.

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I have heard similar rumblings and I think we will take Sauce Gardner in the top 10, my gut has me concerned it will be at #4.

Great player but if this is the case I hope we land Ridley and take Gardener at 10 and Thibs at 4. Would be very happy with that haul - and we haven't' even gotten to round 2 yet! We can grab a guard in round 2 and one of the top TE's.

I was reminded that we need to give something up for Ridley - I would go with our #10 pick if he's good to go but try and give them a 2 and a future 2 or 3 - that would be nice. Ridley is better than all of the WRs we could pick at 10 and would hit the ground running with Zach, while all rookies aren't a big factor in year one even if they are really good. Ridley would have a huge impact on this team on so many levels if he checks out.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Great player but if this is the case I hope we land Ridley and take Gardener at 10 and Thibs at 4. Would be very happy with that haul - and we haven't' even gotten to round 2 yet! We can grab a guard in round 2 and one of the top TE's.

Yea I hope if we take him it's at #10. I wouldn't be upset if they go Sauce Gardner at #4 and Jermaine Johnson at 10 either though.

Anything with Stingley is a bad pick for me.

• Upvote 1

i don’t know how many times this has to be stated but both douglas and saleh believe in building through both lines - leaving offense alone for the moment - jets will not spend a high draft pick on a corner - in fact there’s a much greater chance they draft hamilton because they value safety higher than cb - it really doesn’t matter what these guys write - listen to saleh and douglas - look at what 49’ers did when saleh was dc - it all adds up to going heavy on defensive line and maybe safety/linebacker with some depth added to cb and we in fa and later draft picks - we’ll know soon but enough with the jets will draft a corner with top 10 pick

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

How are you landing Ridley without giving up any first or second round picks?

27 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

@Zachtomims47 When was the last time you talked to Dj Bien-Anime?

I don’t talk to that pipsqueak. 

Also, I’m always curious how these media members somehow talk to these high level sources when they’re never even close to them. They’re closer to the security guards. IMO that’s why we rarely see our media guys breaking any kind of story. I’m sure guys like Rich who are there for 100 years find a way but other then that idkkkkk. That or stalk the GMs son at baseball game. 

The only time they get real info is when the Jets want to give it to them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Here is DJ's Bien-Aime's actual quote from the article:

“A guy just told me that I want to use a top-10 pick, they told me premium asset but it could be that or free agent money to get a No. 1 legitimate cornerback because that expands what we can do defensively.”

All depends on who the guy is he was talking to, but it sounds more like an individual opinion than necessarily what the Jets are thinking.

The C in CB stands for coverage sack. It's been so long since we have had a CB tandem that the coverage sack has gone by the wayside. 

Our cornerback room is filled with depth pieces. Bryce Hall is a quality number two (heh heh heh). I have no problem with taking a CB with a premium pick, and neither should you. 

• Upvote 1

Using 10 for a CB could be a good use for that pick.  Bryce Hall is really CB2. 

Using trade, FA and draft picks to get a s, CB, LB, EDGE, RG, TE and WR will make this team better

S-Marcus Williams or next best

CB-BPA at 10 or 35

Edge-KT at 4, JJ at 10

LB-Muma or Harris, or bpa in rd 3

RG-LDT or Ekwenu at 4 or Zion 

TE-Schultz and/or McBride or Rennert

WR-sign Arob or Godwin, or trade for Cooper

if we pulled off at least half of this, the Jets win 8 games next year  

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Or course the Jets are going to bring in a big time CB. The secondary was one of the worst in the league last year. Guys who keep saying “Jets don’t value corners” clearly have no idea what they’re talking about 

So how do you explain Douglas despite having 11 picks in the top four rounds the last two years has picked exactly zero cbs in that group?

So far they have indicated they value drafting CBs but not drafting them high.

They have also not brought in any high profile CBs in FA.