Jump to content

A safe signing at safety?


naturalscience
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, naturalscience said:

An article popped up on the old news feed suggesting the Jets take a look at Texans safety Justin Reid.

I believe he is a free agent.

Seems like a solid player.

Thoughts? 

Is he good?

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, naturalscience said:

An article popped up on the old news feed suggesting the Jets take a look at Texans safety Justin Reid.

I believe he is a free agent.

Seems like a solid player.

Thoughts? 

Was the article from Jake Asman? Jake has been pumping up Justin Reed to the Jets like everyday for the past month!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

That would be a terrible signing. For all that we should bring back Maye who we should move on from. 

Why do you say that?  Can you give me a reason?

5,5,3,3,3,3,  interceptions each of his last 6 years

94 combined tackles last year.

Maye has a whopping 6 career ints.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why do you say that?  Can you give me a reason?

5,5,3,3,3,3,  interceptions each of his last 6 years

94 combined tackles last year.

Maye has a whopping 6 career ints.

Maye is a combo safety (SS, FS)

Diggs is strictly a FS.

That explains the INTs. Diggs is a former CB moved to FS. He doesn't haven't the physicality to play in the box. 

Both Maye and Diggs are going to miss some times. Maye has the Achilles while Diggs has a bad broken leg.

If it came down to it why invest in someone foreign over someone who already has chemistry (teammates, playbook) with the team? 

As I said in another thread, the S market is going to be rough onces Bates gets franchised. Williams of the Saints could be available, Mathieu isn't coming here so Reid maybe looking at a huge pay day as they most attainable safety.

Bring back Maye for 1 year and draft Cines or Brisker in the 2nd round.

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Maye is a combo safety (SS, FS)

Diggs is strictly a FS.

That explains the INTs. Diggs is a former CB moved to FS. He doesn't haven't the physicality to play in the box. 

Both Maye and Diggs are going to miss some times. Maye has the Achilles while Diggs has a bad broken leg.

If it came down to it why invest in someone foreign over someone who already has chemistry (teammates, playbook) with the team? 

As I said in another thread, the S market is going to be rough onces Bates gets franchised. Williams of the Saints could be available, Mathieu isn't coming here so Reid maybe looking at a huge pay day as they most attainable safety.

Bring back Maye for 1 year and draft Cines or Brisker in the 2nd round.

 

Jets were 2nd last in the league with a paltry7 ints last year.  Also 2nd last in turnover differential.

We need someone that can get turnovers.  We for sure need to draft at least one safety.  Maye doesn't move the needle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Was the article from Jake Asman? Jake has been pumping up Justin Reed to the Jets like everyday for the past month!

Not sure. The article has since disappeared from my feed but it was name I didn't recognize. Something like granite sports or some sh*te.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Jets were 2nd last in the league with a paltry7 ints last year.  Also 2nd last in turnover differential.

We need someone that can get turnovers.  We for sure need to draft at least one safety.  Maye doesn't move the needle.

Again, get some guys up front who can consistently pressure the QB to get him out of a rhythm (rush his throws, throw off-balance, etc), and you could be back there getting INTs. 

This isn't 1985. Safeties are like running backs. You can find perfectly good ones in the middle and late rounds of any draft.

The young guys the Jets have in the secondary will be just fine if they can get some good pass rushers.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Again, get some guys up front who can consistently pressure the QB to get him out of a rhythm (rush his throws, throw off-balance, etc), and you could be back there getting INTs. 

This isn't 1985. Safeties are like running backs. You can find perfectly good ones in the middle and late rounds of any draft.

The young guys the Jets have in the secondary will be just fine if they can get some good pass rushers.

Nailed it Edge, Edge, and more Edge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Saleh defense may not demand CBs, which I don't think is true, but it does demand athletic safeties.  

I am not entirely convinced that the Jets are getting a good safety for this defense in the late/middle rounds.  Second round seems to be the spot for quality, athletic, physical safeties.  The LBs fall lower.  

In these FA and Draft classes, the value is signing a FA safety, and throw alot of money at him to make sure we get someone good.   In the 2nd round we want McBride, Muma, CB, WR, the G from BC, another T-other players.  Sign a FA S-Williams, Reid, Diggs are all massive improvements to what we have.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would rather pay Marcus Williams and then draft someone like pitre or hill in the second round.  Williams is a true deep, centerfielder and then we can do whatever we want with the swiss-army type guys in the draft.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I would rather pay Marcus Williams and then draft someone like pitre or hill in the second round.  Williams is a true deep, centerfielder and then we can do whatever we want with the swiss-army type guys in the draft.

Agree and we also need veteran leadership to “QB” our young secondary.

I’d rather spend big $ on Marcus Williams than spend big on a CB or draft a safety high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...