It's Combine Week

section314

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Last 3 WRa Jets picked in the second are Moore, Mims and Hill, so the odds on getting a good player are 33% I suppose (BS logic, I know)

You forgot Devin Smith.  We are down to 25%. 

May have to go back to Wesley Walker to find another good one in the 2nd.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I am just more quite about it.  Maybe it’s not as heated this year but the behavior of many posters on this site regarding the draft last year turned me off big time and I haven’t given my usual effort of sharing thoughts.  I haven’t even done my yearly Gators prospect thread.  JN ruined the draft for me.  Haha.  I’m finding myself getting more intrigued as it approaches and I’m doing some research here and there but I think the combo of JN ruining the draft, the drafting ruining itself, and the timing of the Jets having all this capital during a sh*tty draft has me just a little less engaged, for now. 

I have no idea what you’re talking about ?

8 hours ago, Snell41 said:

This is the sh*t that cracks me up. I’d chalk it up to fan ignorance except it actually happens with NFL teams as well. Player’s entire college career pegs him as a 3rd round prospect relative to his peers, he runs fast at combine and now suddenly he’s a 1st rounder. Same with QB’s, hence why we drafted Zach.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Oh wow?  You don’t like Zach?  Tell us 11 more times in the combine thread for another draft class.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Lith said:

You forgot Devin Smith.  We are down to 25%. 

May have to go back to Wesley Walker to find another good one in the 2nd.

Alex Van Dyke...2nd round 1996.  

20%

I'm pretty sure there was a guy who's first and last name started with the letter "R" too in early 90s.  Can't remember the name and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Snell41 said:

That’s not true. Becton was tagged with the lazy label when he was reportedly out of shape and then getting his ass kicked all during TC by Lawson. He got the injury tag when he decided to take his entire sophomore season from a 6-8 week injury.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Becton started 14 games his rookie season and tapped out of a lot of games, if I read the stats correctly he had 80% of the O snaps.

Then last year he suffered plantar fasciitis during spring workouts, which knocked him out of OTAs and mandatory minicamp.

Then when training camp started, he struggled in pass protection before he suffered a concussion during joint practices with the Eagles.

The injury was not his fault but turning a 4 - 8 week injury into a season ender is concerning.

The OL guys look good at the combine and I wouldn't mind either Icky or Neal - (but both will be gone).

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

20%

I'm pretty sure there was a guy who's first and last name started with the letter "R" too in early 90s.  Can't remember the name and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

Reggie Rembert

Ryan Yarborough

Ralph Clayton

We have picked 9 WRs in the second round.  If Moore catches three passes and gains at least 60 yards in his first game next season, he will surpass Stephen Hill as the second most productive R2 WR we have ever drafted in his 12th game.  Obviously, Walker is #1.

Mims is already 5th on the list in receiving yards.

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

20%

Ryan Yarborough. He also sucked.

14 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

20%

Reggie Rembert!

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Reggie Rembert!

I still look at him as the guy who cost us Brett Favre. 

We picked him the year before Favre.  Rembert refused to sign with us and forced a trade to Cincy.  Then, when Rob Moore was available in the supplemental draft that summer we picked him and gave up the 1 we likely would have used on Favre.  Rembert sucked, never amounted to much with the Bengals, but had he signed with us after we drafted him, I doubt we would have used next year's 1 on another WR.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I still look at him as the guy who caost us Brett Favre. 

We picked him the year before Favre.  Rembert refused to sigh with us and forced a trade to Cincy.  Then, when Rob Moore was available in the supplemental draft that summer we picked him and gave up the 1 we likely would have used on Favre.  Rembert sucked, never amounted to much with the Bengals, but had he signed with us after we drafted him, I doubt we would have used next year's 1 on another WR.

Wow!  A history lesson right there.  Good stuff!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

I still look at him as the guy who cost us Brett Favre. 

We picked him the year before Favre.  Rembert refused to sign with us and forced a trade to Cincy.  Then, when Rob Moore was available in the supplemental draft that summer we picked him and gave up the 1 we likely would have used on Favre.  Rembert sucked, never amounted to much with the Bengals, but had he signed with us after we drafted him, I doubt we would have used next year's 1 on another WR.

I had forgotten that whole cycle of events and I am newly saddened. ?

Given all the love he was getting at the Senior Bowl and with his testing today, Trevor Penning feels like a lock to be a Jet, probably at #10. Pauline had said earlier that “some scouts” had Penning ranked as the top tackle prospect overall. 

“A very good source in the scouting community who I speak with all the time said he believes Penning will be the first tackle drafted. And when I said ‘you think he’s going to be drafted over Evan Neal of Alabama?’, the answer was ‘yes’. Penning is really well-liked in scouting circles.”

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Given all the love he was getting at the Senior Bowl and with his testing today, Trevor Penning feels like a lock to be a Jet, probably at #10. Pauline had said earlier that “some scouts” had Penning ranked as the top tackle prospect overall. 

“A very good source in the scouting community who I speak with all the time said he believes Penning will be the first tackle drafted. And when I said ‘you think he’s going to be drafted over Evan Neal of Alabama?’, the answer was ‘yes’. Penning is really well-liked in scouting circles.”

I think the tackle depth is good enough such that the jets would rather take their favorite pass rusher at 4 and then see if there’s an OL at 10 they like or try to trade back.  That 10 spot is going to be a hot spot for trading up i suspect.  But in the end i think the jets do not walk away at 4 with a tackle, that spot is for their favorite defensive prospect.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I had forgotten that whole cycle of events and I am newly saddened. ?

Jets history has a way of doing that.  I used to write a daily Today in Jet History thread on another site.  It came to be known as the "daily Jet fan kick in the nuts thread."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If we take Penning at 10, I will be "newly saddened" on draft night.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Jets history has a way of doing that.  I used to write a daily Today in Jet History thread on another site.  It came to be known as the "daily Jet fan kick in the nuts thread."

That would be excruciating. I always scoff when people say The Buttfumble was as bad as it gets for a Jets fan, because it erases so many other more grueling, if not as obvious moments of Jets torture. 

• Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That would be excruciating. I always scoff when people say The Buttfumble was as bad as it gets for a Jets fan, because it erases so many other more grueling, if not as obvious moments of Jets torture. 

The buttfumble is not even close to the worst moment for me as a Jet fan.  We were a bad team that year, yes it was on national TV, but when it happened, I jsut laughed.  We gave up 3 TDs in less than a minute in a 5 play span.  It was so bad it was comical.  Probably the worst minute of football any team has ever played. 

But something like that does not come close to what the Bills experienced in their 13 second playoff collapse.  That would have been devastating.  The buttfumble, maybe I have a strange sense of humor, but that was funny.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is Joe Douglas more concerned about not getting fired or winning football games?