It's Combine Week

section314

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And what do you think saleh and douglas will be thinking - we need 2 of these guys. 

Trade back from 10, 2 defensive players in the first, and a trade up in the 2nd for a wr.  

I’d imagine Saleh thinks he was one Nick Bosa away from winning seven games last year.

May not make it to the 2nd round after today. Good chance Jets will have to take him at 35 or 38 if he does make it there.

This is the sh*t that cracks me up. I’d chalk it up to fan ignorance except it actually happens with NFL teams as well. Player’s entire college career pegs him as a 3rd round prospect relative to his peers, he runs fast at combine and now suddenly he’s a 1st rounder. Same with QB’s, hence why we drafted Zach.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

16 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

This is the sh*t that cracks me up. I’d chalk it up to fan ignorance except it actually happens with NFL teams as well. Player’s entire college career pegs him as a 3rd round prospect relative to his peers, he runs fast at combine and now suddenly he’s a 1st rounder. Same with QB’s, hence why we drafted Zach.

I think we liked what we saw at the Senior Bowl as well. If we take him we will be confident in our selection at least. If they pass on him then we know they had other priorities or players higher and I'd trust that judgement.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’d imagine Saleh thinks he was one Nick Bosa away from winning seven games last year.

Given how there’s no wrs worth taking in the top 10, and how they may not want to invest another 1st rounder in an OL, i can easily see them taking thibs or ojabu at 4 and then someone like devin Lloyd.  Lloyd is what this team needs, a leader in the middle like Harris.

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, Lith said:

After yesterday, the only WR I am considering in the top 10 is Garrett Wilson.  Probably the best route runner in this class.  Burks needed to "blow up" the combine to move into top 10 consideration.  He was ok.  Certainly did not display the incredible athleticism I would have like to see to make him a top 10 consideration.  I would not conisder anyone at 4, maybe Wilson at 10.

Still think the sweet spot for WR is day 2.  

Agree 100% with this. Wilson is the best WR in the draft. Runs great routes and has impressive athletic ability and proven production.

If we don't go Wilson in the 1st, waiting until day 2 is the way to go. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Implodes may be a bit harsh for Burks.  I think some people had unrealistic expectations for him.  He was never going to be an athletic freak and test off the charts.   I expected a little better, but it wasn’t horrific.   He’s going to need some work, he lived off of RPO’s and just kind of ran to space in the Arkansas offense.   

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Given how there’s no wrs worth taking in the top 10, and how they may not want to invest another 1st rounder in an OL, i can easily see them taking thibs or ojabu at 4 and then someone like devin Lloyd.  Lloyd is what this team needs, a leader in the middle like Harris.

He is so versatile he could play anywhere this year, and in 2023 if they look to move on from Mosley for cap reasons, you've already got your guy. I just wonder if he would last till #10.  This is such as whacky draft year, would they consider Lloyd at #4?

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

He is so versatile he could play anywhere this year, and in 2023 if they look to move on from Mosley for cap reasons, you've already got your guy. I just wonder if he would last till #10.  This is such as whacky draft year, would they consider Lloyd at #4?

I doubt it, but i understand what you’re saying.  I just think with no clear #1 wrs there, with the defense as bad as it was and taking 4 offensive players first last year, that this year’s first round will be dedicated to the d.  I don’t think they’ll take Hamilton, i think we’ll see an edge and either Lloyd or a cb.  But Lloyd at 10 makes a lot of sense for what they would want to do, and adding 2 guys to the front 7 will make that secondary a lot better.  They can add wr speed, TE/OL on day 2 and still get quality.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Agree 100% with this. Wilson is the best WR in the draft. Runs great routes and has impressive athletic ability and proven production.

If we don't go Wilson in the 1st, waiting until day 2 is the way to go. 

we need to sign and/or trade for a proven WR.  cant hope Davis stays healthy and a rookie plays well in their 1st year which is not common for WRs

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I doubt it, but i understand what you’re saying.  I just think with no clear #1 wrs there, with the defense as bad as it was and taking 4 offensive players first last year, that this year’s first round will be dedicated to the d.  I don’t think they’ll take Hamilton, i think we’ll see an edge and either Lloyd or a cb.  But Lloyd at 10 makes a lot of sense for what they would want to do, and adding 2 guys to the front 7 will make that secondary a lot better.  They can add wr speed, TE/OL on day 2 and still get quality.

That would be an ideal situation. I agree with you that in reverse to last year, the top of our draft will be defense. My humble prediction is, in no particular order.....2 edge, a LB,DT and TE with the first 5 picks.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

That would be an ideal situation. I agree with you that in reverse to last year, the top of our draft will be defense. My humble prediction is, in no particular order.....2 edge, a LB,DT and TE with the first 5 picks.

I think they need to add more speed to the offense and it would be a crime if they didn’t dip into the wr pool in the 2nd or 3rd.  With 5 picks in the first 3 rounds they should be able to address pass rush, OL, wr and then 2 other positions, even if they go edge again.  That 2nd round looks nice for a wr.

58 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

The Combine is an evaluation tool.  One of several.  It is important for a guy like Watson who played his college ball at FCS level  This was an opportunity for him to prove he has the athleticism to compete at a higher level than he did in college.  He checked those boxes yesterday.

That said, I would be very nervous about picking him earlier than R3, combine or no.  But, our CS had him for a week at the Sr Bowl, so they have seen him work up close for a week.  They should have a pretty good idea how he can compete at the next level.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

After yesterday, the only WR I am considering in the top 10 is Garrett Wilson.  Probably the best route runner in this class.  Burks needed to "blow up" the combine to move into top 10 consideration.  He was ok.  Certainly did not display the incredible athleticism I would have like to see to make him a top 10 consideration.  I would not conisder anyone at 4, maybe Wilson at 10.

Still think the sweet spot for WR is day 2.  

What if London blows up his Pro Day? Obv he was the most notable name who didn't run yesterday.

35 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Lloyd also feels like a stone cold lock to be an elite player. Off ball LB isn't sexy but in a weak draft he could be a perennial Pro Bowler from Day 1 which is better than whiffing on a more valuable position.

• Upvote 4

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

What if London blows up his Pro Day? Obv he was the most notable name who didn't run yesterday.

We will see what happens, but I just think Wilson's route running is so far advanced vs London that he is a better fit in our offense.  I used to fall in love with the big, physical WRs, but over the years, I have come to believe tha ability run routes and get open is what translates best to the NFL.  For me, that guy is Wilson.

Besides, who wouldn't want to see a WIlson to Wilson connection.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Certainly seems kind of silly to write off Burks after yesterday. Guy just spent his college career running away from SEC corners, but he runs a 4.5 40 at the Combine and now he’s a stiff? Crazy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

No idea where you came up with this. Most mocks had Wilson going pick #2 BEFORE the combine. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-zach-wilson-to-jets

https://www.nfl.com/news/charley-casserly-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-justin-fields-slides-to-steelers

And if you were a GM and ignored running and arm strength and just looked at college production you would be one of those guys passing on the likes of Josh Allen/Justin Herbert and instead taking guys like Baker Mayfield.  

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Certainly seems kind of silly to write off Burks after yesterday. Guy just spent his college career running away from SEC corners, but he runs a 4.5 40 at the Combine and now he’s a stiff? Crazy. 

He def "plays" faster than that, whatever that means. His vertical was terrible too though -- I wouldn't write him off but he's not an elite athlete which is a little disappointing.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It is silly. A 4.5 doesn't mean sh*t.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

We will see what happens, but I just think Wilson's route running is so far advanced vs London that he is a better fit in our offense.  I used to fall in love with the big, physical WRs, but over the years, I have come to believe tha ability run routes and get open is what translates best to the NFL.  For me, that guy is Wilson.

Besides, who wouldn't want to see a WIlson to Wilson connection.

"Castaway 2?"?

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Great post. It was reverse logic to this that got us the immortal Lam Jones instead of Anthony Munoz. 

• Upvote 1