It's Combine Week

section314

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Issue with Davis is he was a two down player for us.  How high do you take a guy who has only had about 100 3rd down snaps in his career.  Devonte Wyatt was generally the guy in rushing the passer on 3rd down.

I really don’t know what you do with that either, and I’ve brought up the snap thing before.

Douglas and Saleh talk about unicorns, though. Holy cow.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

I really don’t know what you do with that either, and I’ve brought up the snap thing before.

Don't be surprised if Devonte Wyatt goes ahead of Davis.  Better pass rusher.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Don't be surprised if Devonte Wyatt goes ahead of Davis.  Better pass rusher.

With the DT’s in this class there’s a very real chance that the Jets could take a DT at 35 or 38 who’s more athletic than they guys they’ve been taking at the top of the draft.

1 minute ago, derp said:

With the DT’s in this class there’s a very real chance that the Jets could take a DT at 35 or 38 who’s more athletic than they guys they’ve been taking at the top of the draft.

I am curious to see the official time.  Few years ago, Georgia RB Elijah Holyfield ran a 4.78 at 217 lbs..  Wyatt and Davis could conceivably have just run faster tha that at 305 & 340.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Lith said:

Issue with Davis is he was a two down player for us.  How high do you take a guy who has only had about 100 3rd down snaps in his career.  Devonte Wyatt was generally the guy in rushing the passer on 3rd down.

I wonder if he would've been only a two down player if Georgia wasn't blessed with so much talent around him?  

Wyatt might be the better rusher, but does that mean Davis wasn't good at it?  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I wonder if he would've been only a two down player if Georgia wasn't blessed with so much talent around him?  

Wyatt might be the better rusher, but does that mean Davis wasn't good at it?  

Don't get me wrong, I like Davis.  The guy is a monster.  Incredible quickness for a guy that size.  I think he will be a stud and while we have other needs, I would be happy to see him as a Jet.  But I think Wyatt is the better pass rusher, and that is the skill that is more valued in today's NFL.  They probably both go in the first, but I would not be surprised if Wyatt goes first.

And if there is one thing I know, it is my Bulldogs.  I was the one who said Sony Michel would be the better NFL back than Nick Chubb.  Oh, wait.  Never mind.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Davis.  The guy is a monster.  Incredible quickness for a guy that size.  I think he will be a stud and while we have other needs, I would be happy to see him as a Jet.  But I think Wyatt is the better pass rusher, and that is the skill that is more valued in today's NFL.  They probably both go in the first, but I would not be surprised of Wyatt goes first.

And if there is one thing I know, it is my Bulldogs.  I was the one who said Sony Michel would be the better NFL back than Nick Chubb.  Oh, wait.  Never mind.

Speaking of monsters, I missed Walker's workout.  What was his 40 time and measurements? 

43 minutes ago, derp said:

As impressive as Davis was Winfrey, Davis, and Jones were just as impressive. The Jets will take one at the beginning of the second round.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

As impressive as Davis was Winfrey, Davis, and Jones were just as impressive. The Jets will take one at the beginning of the second round.

We just do not need a DT, i love the players but the jets already give their dine like 60% of the snaps.  Nice players but we have a lot of other more pressing needs imo.

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

It's looking more and more like 3 or even 4 defensive players with their first 4 picks. 

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

My follow up post:

48 minutes ago, derp said:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

We just do not need a DT, i love the players but the jets already give their dine like 60% of the snaps.  Nice players but we have a lot of other more pressing needs imo.

Hard disagree. The Jets defense suffered when going from DL1 (JFM, Q, Foley, Huff) to DL2 (Shaq Lawson, Rankins, Shepard, Blair/ Huff). They need the depth and talent to consistently perform to the expected level.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It's looking more and more like 3 or even 4 defensive players with their first 4 picks. 

I’m 98% sure we draft a CB at 4 unless Hutchinson drops. Also heard Paul Schwartz on WFAN this afternoon saying he had a lot of people tell him at the Combine that the Jets loveeeeeed Kyle Hamilton after meeting with him and would make an exception to the “no safety at 4” thing because Hamilton is a Kyle Pitts-like unicorn.

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Hard disagree. The Jets defense suffered when going from DL1 (JFM, Q, Foley, Huff) to DL2 (Shaq Lawson, Rankins, Shepard, Blair/ Huff). They need the depth and talent to consistently perform to the expected level.

You just listed  like 8 guys and our top guys were playing rotation 60% of snaps.  More DTs are a luxury. 

We need LB, WR, TE, Edge rusher ahead of any DT.  And as I said I like some of these players.

I mean it won;t surprise me if they do as you suggest, i just think it is a mistake.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m 98% sure we draft a CB at 4 unless Hutchinson drops. Also heard Paul Schwartz on WFAN this afternoon saying he had a lot of people tell him at the Combine that the Jets loveeeeeed Kyle Hamilton after meeting with him and would make an exception to the “no safety at 4” thing because Hamilton is a Kyle Pitts-like unicorn.

Can’t wait to see the board the night they take Hamilton and Gardner.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We have done first round Kyles twice before, and it hasn't worked out.  Brady & Wilson. 

It is just like USC QBs.  No more first round Kyles.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wouldn’t mind Gardner because it’s a legitimate need and he seems to be really good, but Hamilton at 4 would be absolutely soul-crushing

With the current rules, drafting a corner high feels like a waste.  

I wouldn't hate the pick, but I would be mildly disappointed.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You just listed  like 8 guys and our top guys were playing rotation 60% of snaps.  More DTs are a luxury. 

We need LB, WR, TE, Edge rusher ahead of any DT.  And as I said I like some of these players.

I mean it won;t surprise me if they do as you suggest, i just think it is a mistake.

I do think a run stuffing DT, like they’ve been taking at the top of the draft, would be a mistake. Pass rush upside in the second round isn’t ideal but at least makes sense. Attacking the same need as edge (getting after the QB) just at a different position and one they still need depth.

Most of us are going to be disappointed with how they address positions IMO. Realistically, the Jets are bad. There are very few positions they couldn’t add guys who’d play meaningful snaps. Think it’ll boil down much more to where they like guys and there are a good bunch of athletic day two guys.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

With the current rules, drafting a corner high feels like a waste.  

I wouldn't hate the pick, but I would be mildly disappointed.  

Same. It’d be a checks-a-box pick that helps Saleh implement his vision, whatever that is.

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I do think a run stuffing DT, like they’ve been taking at the top of the draft, would be a mistake. Pass rush upside in the second round isn’t ideal but at least makes sense. Attacking the same need as edge (getting after the QB) just at a different position and one they still need depth.

Most of us are going to be disappointed with how they address positions IMO. Realistically, the Jets are bad. There are very few positions they couldn’t add guys who’d play meaningful snaps. Think it’ll boil down much more to where they like guys and there are a good bunch of athletic day two guys.

Add in that they’re about to hand Quinnen a ton of money and they need him to put up a big season, and supplementing his talents/ freeing him up to rush the passer needs to be a huge priority for this administration. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Same. It’d be a checks-a-box pick that helps Saleh implement his vision, whatever that is.

Add in that they’re about to hand Quinnen a ton of money and they need him to put up a big season, and supplementing his talents/ freeing him up to rush the passer needs to be a huge priority for this administration. 

I feel like Q is going to go the same way as the rest of the players Maccagnan acquired. Don’t think they want to re-sign maybes. But could be wrong.

Suppose it boils down to if he wants to stick around and what kind of deal he’d take.

• Upvote 1