It's Combine Week

section314

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I see it this way too. Since douglas probably won’t be able to trade out of 4, i think that slot is dedicated to their favorite edge rusher.  They just can’t take a cb or s with that pick, it’s too much of a premium pick and saleh knows he needs pass rushers.  I also doubt it’s thibs, no way saleh wants to deal with another high draft head case like becton.  So whether it’s walker or ojabu or someone else, 4 is likely an edge rusher.  

I also think they trade out of 10. It’s a far easier spot to trade out of and it could also be for a qb.  So i think they get more draft capital and move into the teens, and then take either a wr or OL.  If they took panning i could also see a move back into the end of round 1 for a wr.  

This has to be the play. Period. And take another one on day 2.

• Upvote 1

Depth at a position should mean you get an excellent player later in the draft yet so many here are trying to put second round talent EDGE at the top of RD1. Saleh basically said he does not view any of them as elite so why would we reach at 4 or even 10. Makes no sense. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

The big question with Ekwonu is his pass blocking ability. People are way underrating the potential downside to taking him at 4 and plucking him at RG. Or a tackle spot.

I guess the question is whether Jags will take him or Neal first.  That will tell alot I think. I might like Ekwonu, but I'm not stuck on him at 4. There are many possibilities for that pick, one of which I hope we get an opportunity to do and that is to trade down.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

Is Johnson a good shceme fit? It seems he worked out as OLB, so he may be better for 3-4 teams 

not sure, but I would think good football players with good heads on their shoulders is what we should be looking for. If a guy can rush the QB and get sacks, I'm not sure it matters whether it's for 3-4, or 4-3.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Lol no. Gardner is better than any edge rusher in this class. Unless we sign a CB, Gardner is an instant starter on this team. Ojabo, JJ, Karlaftis, even Thibs or Hutch are all rotational at most regardless of draft position. Assuming the health of the Edge room and the rumors that keep connecting the Jets to FA edge rushers it just looks like Douglas is gearing up for a later round edge ie. Dominique Robinson, Jesse Luketa, Logan Hall. Our top 5 edge rusher would be a part time player behind Lawson, JFM, and DPR Huff. If the rumors of interest in Zadarius Smith are true then it’s even more obvious.

Also if we’re actually watching trends JD’s history shows a lack of interest in physical freaks at edge. Derek Barnett, the re-signings of Brandon Graham in Philly, the drafting of Zadarius Smith in Baltimore. On the Saleh side of things, Nick Bosa was not a physical freak but a technical guy with good tools. Arik Armstead is a strong but not fast player who prospered in Saleh’s system. 

the problem with taking a cb 4th is that in these nfl offenses there are too many other guys to throw the ball to besides the guy Gardner is covering.  Using a prime draft resource just for one cb is not really fixing the defense.  Having a good pass rush makes it easier for all the other players esp. the secondary b/c the ball has to get out sooner and that means it’s less likely to be accurate.  Plus you have the rules skewed against the d backs, just look at the super bowl.  Ramsey got mugged, no call, touchdown.  If Ramsey facemasked the wr a penalty is called each time.  

The 4 spot is for a pass rusher, and unless douglas can figure out how to trade out of that spot, i just don’t see them using it on any other position.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the problem with taking a cb 4th is that in these nfl offenses there are too many other guys to throw the ball to besides the guy Gardner is covering.  Using a prime draft resource just for one cb is not really fixing the defense.  Having a good pass rush makes it easier for all the other players esp. the secondary b/c the ball has to get out sooner and that means it’s less likely to be accurate.  Plus you have the rules skewed against the d backs, just look at the super bowl.  Ramsey got mugged, no call, touchdown.  If Ramsey facemasked the wr a penalty is called each time.  

The 4 spot is for a pass rusher, and unless douglas can figure out how to trade out of that spot, i just don’t see them using it on any other position.  

Pass rushers are equal opportunity guys. They can wreck a game 30-40 times, not 5-6 times that a ball may be thrown your way.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Agree 100%. The rules simply do not allow for consistent, tight coverage.

Taking a corner top ten, even a great one, or spending 17+ mil a year on JC Jackson is a massive mistake.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You can't wait for pass rushers most of the time.  Sure like all positions you can find good guys all over the place.  The Jets fav seems to be round 3 and the athleticism starts to drop off, mauldin, polite, zuniga.

There is going to be a run on edge guys when the jets take travon walker.  By the time pick 10 rolls around the jets may still double dip there.  But I’m expecting a trade back from 10.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

There is going to be a run on edge guys when the jets take travon walker.  By the time pick 10 rolls around the jets may still double dip there.  But I’m expecting a trade back from 10.

I'll be upset if the jets take travon walker at 4, quite upset.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You can't wait for pass rushers most of the time.  Sure like all positions you can find good guys all over the place.  The Jets fav seems to be round 3 and the athleticism starts to drop off, mauldin, polite, zuniga.

This is the stuff that baffles me...his RAS was very high. If that is a really big factor in how teams value and rate guys, something just doesn't jive. I know injuries have played a part, but it is confounding to me.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, derp said:

The big question with Ekwonu is his pass blocking ability. People are way underrating the potential downside to taking him at 4 and plucking him at RG. Or a tackle spot.

Ekwonu - 3 Sacks - 0 Hits - 10 Hurries

Neal - 2 Sacks - 5 Hits - 8 Hurries

Cross - 2 Sacks - 0 Hits - 14 Hurries

Green - 1 Sack - 2 Hits - 7 Hurries

I think it's a fair concern since he wasn't in the SEC, he did keep Jermaine Johnson II in check for most of the game against FSU.

Ekwonu's Guard numbers from 2020

7 Sacks -  5 Hits - 13 Hurries

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Depth at a position should mean you get an excellent player later in the draft yet so many here are trying to put second round talent EDGE at the top of RD1. Saleh basically said he does not view any of them as elite so why would we reach at 4 or even 10. Makes no sense. 

?

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

This is definitely the way to look at it. Edge SHOULD be the pick at 4 but I really would not hate taking Sauce at 4 and an Edge at 10, there are a lot of good ones. 

43 minutes ago, section314 said:

This is the stuff that baffles me...his RAS was very high. If that is a really big factor in how teams value and rate guys, something just doesn't jive. I know injuries have played a part, but it is confounding to me.

It's only an Athletic Score, should trigger you to go back and rewatch the guy on tape. This was also covid so no in person meetings. There's a reason he fell to the 3rd round.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

This is definitely the way to look at it. Edge SHOULD be the pick at 4 but I really would not hate taking Sauce at 4 and an Edge at 10, there are a lot of good ones. 

As much as I don't want a DB in the top 10, sauce seems more of a seleh/Douglas guy than the edge guys.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If the team doesn’t feel any of the 3-4 edge rushers separate themselves, we can definitely wait till 10. Sauce and an edge is a pretty good start, then hammer home OL and receivers. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

As much as I don't want a DB in the top 10, sauce seems more of a seleh/Douglas guy than the edge guys.

Completely agree, my dream is coming away with Sauce, Johnson II, Burks, and McBride with our top 4 picks. I'd be okay moving up you get Burks in the mid 20s if he's there but his combine may cause him to slide a little.

Solve C and G in FA with Bozeman and Tomlinson. Draft some OL you like in the mid rounds. Bring in a FA WR to hedge your bets Landry or Robinson shouldn't command much money and wouldn't prevent a draft investment at WR early.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Completely agree, my dream is coming away with Sauce, Johnson II, Burks, and McBride with our top 4 picks. I'd be okay moving up you get Burks in the mid 20s if he's there but his combine may cause him to slide a little.

Solve C and G in FA with Bozeman and Tomlinson. Draft some OL you like in the mid rounds. Bring in a FA WR to hedge your bets Landry or Robinson shouldn't command much money and wouldn't prevent a draft investment at WR early.

Like this post 

I still like Burks. I’m good with all 4 of the guys you mentioned. Just need JD to have an “all pro” free agency.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Ekwonu - 3 Sacks - 0 Hits - 10 Hurries

Neal - 2 Sacks - 5 Hits - 8 Hurries

Cross - 2 Sacks - 0 Hits - 14 Hurries

Green - 1 Sack - 2 Hits - 7 Hurries

I think it's a fair concern since he wasn't in the SEC, he did keep Jermaine Johnson II in check for most of the game against FSU.

Ekwonu's Guard numbers from 2020

7 Sacks -  5 Hits - 13 Hurries

Those guard numbers aren’t great. Again not saying it’s a lock he’s bad, but I think folks think you put Ekwonu in at guard and the line is a brick wall and we genuinely don’t know how it’ll work out.

And if a is guy making mistakes at guard it gets the QB hit pretty quickly, too. As we’ve seen.

• Upvote 1