NY Jets have more draft capital than almost any team in recent NFL history

Bronx

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-draft-capital-nfl-history

The NY Jets have stockpiled an impressive haul of draft picks for 2022 and are currently ranked first in the league in total draft capital.

Come April, the Jets will have nine picks in total, four of which come in the first two rounds and two of those four in the top-10.

The Jets can thank the Carolina Panthers and the Seattle Seahawks for a few of their picks as well as pat themselves on the back for setting up one of their most lucrative draft years in recent history.

According to NFL analyst Warren Sharp, New York's total draft value in 2022 amounts to 124 "points." That's 20 "points" more than the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants, listed second and third respectively, and is a full 100 "points" more than the last-place Rams.

New York's 124 points worth of draft capital ranks second-most of any team since at least 1999, per Sharp's above graph. The 1991 Dallas Cowboys (not pictured on the graph) and the 2018 Cleveland Browns stand as the only other teams that have accumulated more draft value in any single year.

NY Jets can make a huge leap in 2022 given their ridiculously extensive draft capital:

Of course, high picks alone don't guarantee a top-performing draft class. The 2018 Browns class, for example, has since been decimated and now consists of just three worthy starters: Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, and Nick Chubb. And Mayfield is still arguably on the fence.

In 2021, the Jets found potential franchise gems at numerous crucial positions, including quarterback Zach Wilson, wide receiver Elijah Moore, and left guard Alijah Vera-Tucker. That offseason, New York owned the second-most draft capital, behind only the Jacksonville Jaguars.

This April, Joe Douglas and the Jets coaches will have the cream of the crop when it comes to filling major areas of need for the upcoming season.

Pass rusher, offensive line, and the secondary could see the most reinforcements as the Jets aim to find starting-caliber prospects to make an immediate impact in Year 1.

The Jets have prime draft position — the best possible draft position in terms of value in 2022. Can they take advantage of it?

Screenshot_20220227-221232_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220227-221249_Chrome.jpg

TYJDTY!

1510986105_images(1)(7).jpeg.5f2b7cb1a0c4339591d79605ec1adb7b.jpeg

And in typical jets luck the draft is not great at all at the top.

Last year we would be talking about taking pitts or chase at 4 and micah parsons or surtain or slater at 10 or trading for a bounty of picks fora Qb needy  team.

this year we are hoping 2nd tier pass rushers fall to us, there are no weapons like last year.

We will get some good players. but a whole lotta what ifs.

• Upvote 2

So here's my first thought: WHAT?? Warren Sapp is a draft expert now? Too funny and cool at the same time.

Anyway, I'm pretty strong in favor a trading down and ending up with a 2023 1st. I want the Jamal trade to become a gift that keeps on giving. He's house money. Go crazy with it. Who knows!

I get the desire to use the entire draft to get as many players as possible NOW dammit! But...to go from what we've become used to with multiple high draft picks to having only a single pick in the late teens is going to be such a downer. Those days of a single late pick are for mature teams, not teams like us still in some level of total rebuild. So ya, give us something to look forward to next draft as well as this one.

There's always a ton of good/great (and affordable) players still on the board in the 2nd and even 3rd rounds for a GM who can smell talent, I wouldn't mind ending up with multiple picks in these rounds too.

That's all...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

So here's my first thought: WHAT?? Warren Sapp is a draft expert now? Too funny and cool at the same time.

Anyway, I'm pretty strong in favor a trading down and ending up with a 2023 1st. I want the Jamal trade to become a gift that keeps on giving. He's house money. Go crazy with it. Who knows!

I get the desire to use the entire draft to get as many players as possible NOW dammit! But...to go from what we've become used to with multiple high draft picks to having only a single pick in the late teens is going to be such a downer. Those days of a single late pick are for mature teams, not teams like us still in some level of total rebuild. So ya, give us something to look forward to next draft as well as this one.

There's always a ton of good/great (and affordable) players still on the board in the 2nd and even 3rd rounds for a GM who can smell talent, I wouldn't mind ending up with multiple picks in these rounds too.

That's all...

its Warren SHARP. not ex Buc DE Warren Sapp.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Last year we would be talking about taking pitts or chase at 4 and micah parsons or surtain or slater at 10 or trading for a bounty of picks fora Qb needy  team.

this year we are hoping 2nd tier pass rushers fall to us, there are no weapons like last year.

Predicting the Jets will wind up hoping they get a 2nd tier pass rusher is so Jetsy.  Thinking you know what the draft will look like down the road is also.  

If people knew that Micah Parsons would become  Micah Parsons before last years draft he wouldnt have lasted until the 12th.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Predicting the Jets will wind up hoping they get a 2nd tier pass rusher is so Jetsy.  Thinking you know what the draft will look like down the road is also.  

If people knew that Micah parsons would become  Micah parsons before last years draft he wouldnt have lasted until the 12th. 

2020 draft, enough said.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'd cream over a Pitts or Chase for the NYJ. 

Nothing that exciting this year.  And I have to admit the best top ten talents are probably Hutch, Thibs, Sauce, Hamilton.   And I only want the Edge guys among these at #4.  Then offense...either one of the top wideouts-Ikwono-Green at #10.  Because it's paramount to get ZW into 20+ TDs speed.  With Jets scoring points and Zach establishing himself as Jets FQB.

We'll find out which direction Jets may target at #4-10 by how they fill the roster with FA-trades. 

My hope is Jets get Thibs or Hutch at #4.  And either take a wideout (London-Burks-Wilson) at#10.  Or trade down for more #2-3-4 picks to move up and down the board with. 

Soon...we'll see. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That's a pretty pessimistic way to look at it though. Where was JJ Watt drafted? Aaron Donald? They weren't considered worthy of a top 10 pick. Because we have these assets I still think we will trade one for a proven player like Ridley. That makes all too much sense to me to grab an elite young player if possible instead of anyone you can draft at 10 or early in the second round.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

That's a pretty pessimistic way to look at it though. Where was JJ Watt drafted? Aaron Donald? They weren't considered worthy of a top 10 pick. Because we have these assets I still think we will trade one for a proven player like Ridley. That makes all too much sense to me to grab an elite young player if possible instead of anyone you can draft at 10 or early in the second round.

I think it is a realistic way to look at it.  Will we get some good players?  Yes, might we get lucky with how good some of them are?  Yes.  But look at our draft capital and stick us in last years draft and we are laughing.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think it is a realistic way to look at it.  Will we get some good players?  Yes, might we get lucky with how good some of them are?  Yes.  But look at our draft capital and stick us in last years draft and we are laughing.

Lizard Wizard GIF

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You are right about last year, but it's not like we didn't grab two players in the first last year. What if we get Thibs and Ridley in the first round? I think Ridley would be WR1 in this draft and he would help immediately.