Pre-Combine Rankings

KRL

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Being good doesn't mean being the best pick at #4.  And, it doesn't make Kyle Hamilton a good pick either.  Positional value matters, like it or not.

The difference between Pitts & Hamilton is that pitts is an effective enough receiver that you can just consider in the same way he would consider an elite receiver picked up for overall. And that's how Atlanta is using him. So accepting the pitts pick based on the positional value of tight ends doesn't necessarily make much sense

Hamilton is a safety. You can't "use him like a CB" or "use him like an edge" - the only two defensive positions worth drafting that high. The only positional value Hamilton has is safety

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, doitny said:

according to this list there are 8 not counting the Center. if Ekwonu is such a great athlete like people say then im assuming there counting for that in these rating. which should mean the 8 guys ahead of him are better athletes.

and there is a 0.18 difference between Ekwonu and the guy ahead of him. thats a nice drop indicating that Ekwonu is not part of the top end of the draft. 

i dont think we have the luxury of picking a guy " in case " Becton is not good. your going to play a Tackle at Guard for 2-3 years assuming Fant gets a extension which he should. 

and if you want to talk about flexibility than i think we can all say that if we do pick OL in rd 1 this year, we cannot under any circumstance pick if for a 4th year in a row next year. so no matter how good that OL is starring us in the face next year we have to draft someone else. plus we will know better by next year what Becton is, and if he needs to be replaced. 

at least we will know in 3 weeks when FA starts. if JD gets a starting RG then the pick wont be a OL in rd 1.

Yes the list has 8 people over him but the Jets would only be selecting from 5 players over him as we dont have a shot at the top 3 (regardless of who it is)

I don't think you take Ekwonu "just in case" I think you take Ekwonu because he's worth the pick and fills an area of need at RG while allowing you the flexibility in negotiations with Fant and to have patience with Becton.

That's only one piece though and why I say not everyone is clamoring for Ekwonu. Perhaps they want to sign LDT and Zion Johnson in the 2nd to compete at RG while drafting a developmental LT later. That would totally be fine as well, just has a different risk associated with it.

• Upvote 1

Bullsh*t rating comments. Thibodeaux similar to Clowney but not as fluid.

Fluidity is measured by the three cone. Clowney is as stiff as a board and

never could bend the edge, he ran the 3 cone in 7.26.  Von Miller could

bend so tightly that his knuckles scrapped the ground coned 6.70

8 minutes ago, Hex said:

To be honest, the people who know the least about what is going on here are the fans.

Nope.  100% incorrect.  'The fans' would have 100% for sure had better drafts than idzik or mccagnan and better than Douglas's 1st draft.

Do fans have all the resources and such to evaluate players?  No they do not but one hell of a lot of them actually have the brains or instincts to do a better job than guys paid to do it.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Decent college safety leapfrogs to top rated player in the draft? Something not adding up here.

This is kind of like when the big players manipulate the market to make the little guy buy an equity or asset, and then get the liquidity they need to dump their asset. The litttle guy gets crushed. The NFL is the big player here and the Jets are little guy who is about to get crushed

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Nope.  100% incorrect.  'The fans' would have 100% for sure had better drafts than idzik or mccagnan and better than Douglas's 1st draft.

Do fans have all the resources and such to evaluate players?  No they do not but one hell of a lot of them actually have the brains or instincts to do a better job than guys paid to do it.

I was being general. Sure, there are some people who have a better idea than those GMs, but as a whole were just a bunch of people who don't really know what they are talking about. I assure you that if an NFL team pulled some random fan out to be their GM, they would not be successful.

GMs have way more information about players than the vast majority about fans. So even if a fan might have better judgement than a GM, that doesn't mean they know what's going on.

19 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

This is kind of like when the big players manipulate the market to make the little guy buy an equity or asset, and then get the liquidity they need to dump their asset. The litttle guy gets crushed. The NFL is the big player here and the Jets are little guy who is about to get crushed

Wouldn’t be the first time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I feel like you’re talking about me.

You are. You’re talking about me.

♥️

19 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Taking Hamilton is a safe pick in the same way that Leonard Williams and Quinnen Williams were safe picks. You'll be getting a quality starter who cements a position for the length of their contract. Hamilton will end up being a middle of the pack safety who doesn't move the needle forward or backward.

No more safe picks. Premium position needle movers only with the high picks.

Take a safe pick over gambles like Becton or mimms 

21 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Otton is really being slept on by fans. He's a complete TE who can block and catch. If someone gets him in the 3rd, it's a bargain.

TE is a position this year where you may not get an all star TE late, but youre getting a very solid player.  This is a pretty deep TE draft with a number of guys that will be quality players for years. 

Anyone have additional information on TE Cade Otton of Washington? The few clips I have seen he looks comparable to Tre McBride. Lots of TE prospects

This is what I found:

Overview

Four-year starter who will be next up from a program with a history of turning out NFL talent at tight end. Otton is an instinctive route-runner with agile feet in tight quarters and a great feel for changing speeds inside the route. He has sudden, reliable hands, and is skilled and athletic enough to shine against man or zone coverages. As with all UW tight ends, Otton was expected to block for the run game and did so with adequate technique. He will need to bolster his play strength and aggression levels to better execute his blocking itinerary at the next level. He's an ascending combination tight end with starting talent. He should become a more productive pro than college player as a likely Day 2 selection.

Strengths
  • Bends and turns to avoid redirections from defense.
  • Zips into patterns and is a threat underneath.
  • Smart route-runner with basketball athleticism for uncovering.
  • Changes speeds to keep coverage in defensive posture.
  • Sinks, stems and separates from coverage at the break point.
  • Can adjust and catch without breaking stride.
  • Quick to anchor, open and secure the catch window versus zone.
  • Enough talent to put coverage on notice on all three levels.
  • Twitchy hands to pluck, tuck and go.
  • Aggressive hand strikes into the point of attack while blocking.
  • Technique and background to become adequate NFL blocker.
Weaknesses
  • Seems bothered by contact inside the route.
  • Could use additional play strength.
  • Urgent after the catch, but average yards-after-catch talent.
  • More willing than aggressive in taking on blocking duties.
  • Frequently out-muscled and loses his stalemate block.
  • Not enough core strength to sustain and seal defensive ends.
  • Average reliability when asked to make backside cut-offs on outside zone runs.