Ideal, Happy, Acceptable, and Disaster First 2 Rounds

Doggin94it

Simple question: What do the first two rounds look like for you in these scenarios?

Ideal: The draft board falls just right. No slotting Evan Neal in at 38, but give me the potentially realistic scenario or scenarios that would have you shocked at how good our first 2 rounds went, even if it's unlikely. (For example, mine below will include Ekwonu falling to 10, which I think is unlikely but possible)

Happy: OK, the board didn't magically align for us, but if we walked away with this outcome I'd be very happy about it.

Acceptable: Ugh. Not what I was hoping for but I can see it. OK. Trust the process.

Disaster: Does anyone know the phone number for the pilot who flies banners over the stadium? Available billboards for rent? Torch-and-pitchfork supply stores near me?

Here's mine:

Ideal:

Scenario 1) Thibs at 4. Ekwonu at 10.  Dotson and McBride in the second

Scenario 2) Thibs at 4. Trade 10 & 110 to the Steelers for 20, 84, and next year's 1st. Burks at 20. Zion Johnson and McBride in the second

You can swap Hutchinson in for Thibs, though I think it's less likely Hutchinson is there. Basically, an elite edge and then load up on help for Zach:, a WR, OL help, and TE.

Happy:

Both elite edges go in the top 3, and we can't trade back from 10:

Ekwonu at 4. Devin Lloyd, Nakobe Dean, or Burks at 10 (dealer's choice). Cam Thomas & McBride in the second

Basically, with the edges gone we take Ekwonu to finish the line and hedge on Becton/Fant. 10 is probably too early for Burks but if our FO loves him enough to take him there, fine. Off-ball LB is also a huge need and if we went OL at 4 there may not be another offensive player worth 10. We need an edge, so two defenders in the first 4 picks is a possibility I can live with. TE is more of a black hole than WR, so if we go that route, we leave the WRs alone with our premium picks.

Acceptable:

Scenario 1) Both elite edges are gone by 4. We take Ekwonu and Sauce Gardner at 4 and 10, and come back with Thomas and McBride in the second. Similar to the "happy" scenario but I'd prefer not to spend premium picks at CB when we're primarily running cover-3, but I can understand it for an elite CB.

Scenario 2) Thibs falls and we take him at 4. Ekwonu goes before 10, we can't trade back, and we take Gardner or a LB at 10. Zion and McBride in the second.

Disaster:

Any combination of 2 first round defenders that doesn't include an elite edge. Hamilton at 4. 3 defenders in our first 4 picks. Any of those will have me pissed.

You? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Simple question: What do the first two rounds look like for you in these scenarios?

Ideal: The draft board falls just right. No slotting Evan Neal in at 38, but give me the potentially realistic scenario or scenarios that would have you shocked at how good our first 2 rounds went, even if it's unlikely. (For example, mine below will include Ekwonu falling to 10, which I think is unlikely but possible)

Happy: OK, the board didn't magically align for us, but if we walked away with this outcome I'd be very happy about it.

Acceptable: Ugh. Not what I was hoping for but I can see it. OK. Trust the process.

Disaster: Does anyone know the phone number for the pilot who flies banners over the stadium? Available billboards for rent? Torch-and-pitchfork supply stores near me?

Here's mine:

Ideal:

Scenario 1) Thibs at 4. Ekwonu at 10.  Dotson and McBride in the second

Scenario 2) Thibs at 4. Trade 10 & 110 to the Steelers for 20, 84, and next year's 1st. Burks at 20. Zion Johnson and McBride in the second

You can swap Hutchinson in for Thibs, though I think it's less likely Hutchinson is there. Basically, an elite edge and then load up on help for Zach:, a WR, OL help, and TE.

Happy:

Both elite edges go in the top 3, and we can't trade back from 10:

Ekwonu at 4. Devin Lloyd, Nakobe Dean, or Burks at 10 (dealer's choice). Cam Thomas & McBride in the second

Basically, with the edges gone we take Ekwonu to finish the line and hedge on Becton/Fant. 10 is probably too early for Burks but if our FO loves him enough to take him there, fine. Off-ball LB is also a huge need and if we went OL at 4 there may not be another offensive player worth 10. We need an edge, so two defenders in the first 4 picks is a possibility I can live with. TE is more of a black hole than WR, so if we go that route, we leave the WRs alone with our premium picks.

Acceptable:

Scenario 1) Both elite edges are gone by 4. We take Ekwonu and Sauce Gardner at 4 and 10, and come back with Thomas and McBride in the second. Similar to the "happy" scenario but I'd prefer not to spend premium picks at CB when we're primarily running cover-3, but I can understand it for an elite CB.

Scenario 2) Thibs falls and we take him at 4. Ekwonu goes before 10, we can't trade back, and we take Gardner or a LB at 10. Zion and McBride in the second.

Disaster:

Any combination of 2 first round defenders that doesn't include an elite edge. Hamilton at 4. 3 defenders in our first 4 picks. Any of those will have me pissed.

You? 

Ideal: Icky at #4 to bolster the line and Jermaine Johnson/Ojabo at #10.

Use Carolina's 2nd rounder (#38) and a 2023 third to get back into the later half of the first to select London or Burks. (Essentially you got a stud #1 WR and Michael Carter for Sam Darnold and a third rounder).

Get best TE on your board with the 35th pick (probably McBride). 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don't have the full draft, but I saw the top 10 picks of Kiper's Mock 2.0.  

Hamilton at 4.  Linderbaum at 10. 

Not that I hate the players, but that is the most tone-deaf plan for the Jets I have seen anywhere.  I would hang the Disaster tag on that.

Oh....and yes, the Jets take Hamilton at 4 with Thibs still on the board.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Pretty close to what you have stated, my fav out of the above is 'ideal scenario 2', I would be elated with that.

I was going to say the same thing. but you beat me to it.

well done. and depending on which "rumors" are true Burks is either going to fly at the combine or be an out of shape disappointment. his performance is the most interesting to me.

• Upvote 1

Ideal

• Jermaine Johnson II shows out at the combine and we take him @ 4
  • Treylon Burks shows out at the combine and we take him @ 10
  • Zion Johnson is positionally versatile (G/C) and Jeremy Ruckert has a good combine. We take both @ the top of round 2

Happy

• Ekwonu @ 4
  • Garrett Wilson @ 10
  • Boye Mafe or the best edge @ the top of round 2, Trey McBride @ top of round 2

Acceptable

• Any WR top 10
  • Any o-lineman top 10

Disaster

• We take any secondary player top 10
  • We take Thibs

I'll take anyone's advice on which names. Best I'd be able to do is read others' opinions on them anyway, and just regurgitate them here. I don't really have a strong opinion on one player over the other, so I'm affording myself the copout luxury of naming positions not players, when the GM is charged with doing the opposite, but hey that's his job and I already have one.

Ideal

• edge at 4
  • WR at 10

Happy

• Trade down if offered another 2023 1st rounder to move down from 4.
  • Trade down at 10 if someone makes the right offer as well. 
  • Trade 10 for an established starter better than anyone we could add via FA.
  • Any combo of the above, but the trade-down goal is adding another day 1 pick next year, not yet another 2nd rounder this year unless we use that trade-down to move back up again with a 3rd round 1 pick or similar. We have enough high picks already for 4-5 starting rookies as it is (assuming all 4th/5th rounders don't start yet); trading down to further the cause of starting a 6th rookie isn't my idea of ideal. 

Acceptable 

• edge at 4 or trade down, or drafting a tackle only if Becton is traded at/before the draft. Doesn't thrill me, but at least that'd be a move grounded in reality; hence, acceptable.
  • DB or LB at 10*
    • *with the caveat it depends on what WR(s) the team first added in FA; heading into the draft with Godwin-Moore-Davis (or Godwin-Moore-Davis-Berrios) is very different than heading in with just Moore-Davis. It's all the difference in the world. 
    • Also just as happy with these two positions taken in reverse, despite the heart attacks that'd occur here, if it looks like we'd end up with the same edge at 10 that we'd have to reach for at 4. It's only different in our minds. 
    • But yeah I'd cringe at taking a safety at 4 no matter how highly he's rated. CB I could handle, because top ones will start to exceed $20MM on new contracts this spring. Still makes more sense than a guard, when we can fill that more than adequately with a known quantity for <$10MM/yr, or better for a few million more, which the team certainly has available.

Disaster

• any OT in at 4 or 10 in the absence of trading Becton before/at the draft.
  • any G/C at 4 or 10 no matter what = worst of the worst disaster (aside from drafting a bust):
    • drafting a LT at #4 and sticking him at RG, or
    • drafting a center at #10
    • because either one means Douglas should've just blown out the Chargers' offer for Linsley by a couple million per year - after an initial down year for McGovern - if he actually values having the bestest'est center that highly.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:20 PM, Doggin94it said:

Disaster:

You? 

I don't get the Hamilton hate. Not my preferred pick but the draft is a crapshoot - if he turns out to be the elite ballhawking megatron of safeties making Ed Reed Troy Polamalu plays all over the field everyone would forget about what spot he was taken.

Ideal - Trade Down 4 with Broncos for Jeudy and 9.

Round 1 Hamilton/Sauce and Johnson

Round 2 

Brisker/Gordon depending on the first pick. 

I know it’s a reach, but I just love Wandale Robinson and don’t want to miss out on him. So either him at 38 or a lb like Muma or Assamoah  or a DT

Just imagine Jeudy, Davis, Moore, Robinson. Davis can be cut after next year to make Robinson the #3/gadget player 

The D will be heading in the right direction after this too. Hamilton/Sauce with Brisker/Gordon on the backend with Lawson, Q, JFM, and Johnson on the line is pretty good 

Happy - KT and Lloyd

Acceptable - Hamilton and Stingley

Disaster - Ickey and Linderbaum