JETS WR Draft Prospects (the pre-combine edition)

7 minutes ago, Hex said:

Honestly I think Garrett Wilson would probably be the best WR for the Jets, simply because he can be relied on. We need players that won't bust, and he has the highest chance of being successful. Players like Drake London might have higher potential, but I just feel like in a draft like this one Wilson would be best to help the QB develop and grow.

You're not wrong. 

• Upvote 2

Burks is just the type of guy we need.  A big bodied, bully of a receiver with huge mitts.  So what if he did not run the full tree in college.  Deebo and AJ Brown get the ball in unconventional ways and then carry guys down the field.

I also like your bargain players you listed.

However, I still like the guy you are a bit meh on and that is David Bell.  Gets open, catches the ball, 1st down maker.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I can see the jets coaches loving wilson, he’s like a bigger version of moore.  But if they go OL at 4, i can’t see them going wr at 10 or wherever if they trade back.  I can easily see the first weapon they take being a TE in round 2, with OL/edge in round 1 and truth that’s ok as well b/c they need those positions.  FA will be interesting, how they can address OL/wr.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Burks is just the type of guy we need.  A big bodied, bully of a receiver with huge mitts.  So what if he did not run the full tree in college.  Deebo and AJ Brown get the ball in unconventional ways and then carry guys down the field.

However, I still like the guy you are a bit meh on and that is David Bell.  Gets open, catches the ball, 1st down maker.

I was thinking the same thing about Bell. He's being undervalued.

Appreciate the write up.  Are you sure these guys don't want another Elijah Moore?  I tend to agree with everybody else that we want complimentary pieces, but maybe Moore is actually what they are looking for at WR.  Sometimes it is good to have similar guys cause teams will rarely haver corners that can match up with them all.  Thinking back to the Jurassic Age I am reminded of the Fun Bunch.   We all like the idea of taking the top off a D, but I don't see these guys looking for that - they had multiple lesser options in Mims, Smith and Smith and didn't seem to bother.

*TLDR I read an article 2 years ago that said these guys like to run multiple slots and I am probably stuck on it for no good reason.

• Upvote 1

If I have to guess, we're only getting one WR worth anything this offseason, and it'll be in the draft (not in FA, where we'll only backfill depth), and that WR will be picked at pick #10.

So give me Wilson or London at that spot, best we can do.  I like Wilson, but I see positives about London too.

2022 would be Davis, Wilson/London, Moore, Berrios, Depth guys.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

thats the only reason I attend

Whats up coach.

How do you like them top 5 or so guys? ….who are you most fond of as March 1st in that next tier. We’ve talked lots about them errantly but where you at now. 

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Garrett Wilson (Ohio St) -- Simply put, he's best tactician in the draft at the position. He's your Keenan Allen for easy reference. Wrecks DBs with route running and footwork. Probably the lowest risk of any WR in the draft. Zero chance this guy busts unless some off field sh*t

Agreed! We need a good Wilson because the bad one already exists. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You mean like Berrios??

57 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think they are going to fall in love with Garrett Wilson is they havent already.  I think he is going to put up crazy number at the combine.

Wilson (6', 192) + Moore (5'10" 178) would be a very small WR pairing, but with alot of speed and agility and route running talent.

Awesome post - thanks Paradis! 

I am a little bummed you left out my boy Christian Watson. I used to think we'd be able to get him in round three but now I'm fairly confident he won't be around then (especially if he lights up the combine - he is rumored to run sub 4.4). 

The more I look at this draft the more I think we should wait on WR. I'd be willing to change that thought process depending on FA. I think we really need a big bodied X receiver and two guys I like are Watson/Ross. Both will be available at picks 35/38 - and probably more likely than not one of them makes it to the third round. Worse comes to worse you can trade back from the second or trade up from the third and grab one of them in the mid/late second. 

If we address Edge or CB in FA - I'd be more open to selecting one of the top guys at pick 10 - but until then I'm probably looking at the second tier of WRs rather than using #10 on WR. 

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilson (6', 192) + Moore (5'10" 178) would be a very small WR pairing, but with alot of speed and agility and route running talent.

Like Marino and the Marx Brothers?  I could easily live with that pairing but would love Treylon Burks in the WR room.  

• Upvote 1

I'm sure this will change but right now from watching highlights.

1A. Burks

1B. Wilson

3. Drake London

4. Jameson Williams <- #1 without injury

5. Jahan Dotson

6. George Pickens  <- #2 without injury

7. Chris Olave

8. David Bell

9. Justyn Ross

10. Dontario Drummond

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Whats up coach.

How do you like them top 5 or so guys? ….who are you most fond of as March 1st in that next tier. We’ve talked lots about them errantly but where you at now. 

Top 5 is solid, i have the same guys, just a little different of an order than you which is kind of what we've talked about all year.  I think alot of it depends on where you put your weight on evaluation.

To me I have it currently at:

Wilson, London, Burks, Dotson, Williams (caveat being I think williams would probably be 1 or 2 for me if not injured).

I always put more stock into consistent identifiable traits.  So Wilsons ability to bend, sink, and get in and out of breaks, his football IQ in terms of blindspot and leverage.. All make him the total package for me at WR when talking about from a pure technical standpoint. Hence the first spot.  

Williams would be first because I see alot of those traits in him as well.  May not be quiteeee the technician wilson is (not many are coming out) but his top end ability of speed is elite, and that is where you could get him to push into that spot had he been healthy.  I cant assume health so he gets marked down to 5th now. 

London I think we both agree on, no need to elaborate too much, only thing you worry about is his ability to separate at the next level.  He's done a really good job being crafty and way more nuanced than you would think with his experience level to get open, but I wouldnt lie about it being at least a little concerning. 

Burks is probably where we've had the biggest disagreement in terms of where to put him.  I think we both really like the prospect from a physical standpoint.. Not much not to like, but it comes back to consistency and fundamental traits for me.  I have not seen enough of the things that I would like to to believe he can be a consistent big time WR at the next level (sink, bend, stem, hip shifting, playing in the blind spot, leverage) .  I wont deny his potential, he's got maybe the biggest upside of anyone in the draft, but that being said in coaching the most dangerous word ever uttered is potential.  So while i recognize his upside and his ability to grow, the best I can put him right now for me is 3rd or 4th.  I wouldnt kill anyone for taking him 1st but for my particular taste i like to not have to project trait development. 

Dotson, Enough said, dude can ball.  redundant for this team in the way that Wilson would be a little redundant as well.  He's an excellent prospect though who does a lot of fundamental things really well. 

In regard to that second tier you talked about I think we're all in lock step on Pickens, just would have liked to see more to get a better feel on him.  I feel like i havent seen enough lately to justify him being higher on the list but he works in that second tier where i dont mind taking risks. 

I would have Christian Watson in that section as well (over a Ross).  I may be biased but the senior bowl has a habit of doing that to me, and he was the standout during the 1 v 1s and game reps to me from an all around standpoint.  May never be a guy that jumps out at you from a physical testing standpoing but certainly a guy that is an all around solid WR.  If you could nab him late 2nd in a trade down or early 3rd I think thats a great spot.  On Ross, im just flat out on the kid. I know the potential, its massive, but the dudes injury history and lack of quality film just takes him off my board. 

Love that you highlight drummond. I was a big fan of him last year when watching Moore film. He's flying super low under the radar currently and would be a good pick later on in the draft. not sure how long he'll skate by like he is though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

My ranking:

1. Wilson - wish he was bigger but the king of seperation. safe bet.

2/3. London/Burks - equal to me. Both huge dudes and I love big strong men. yummy. I kind of like london a bit more as he seems to be a bit nastier to take down

4. Williams

5. Pickens - He has it all. A playmaker. who knows, if he never got injured he might be 1 or 2

6. Christian Watson - Might be the best of all of these guys in the end

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I hate to say it but William is the best WR in this draft and if he's there at 10 you have to take him, injury and all.

The type of guy that falls to one of the good teams later in the 1st and is a total steal for them.

• Upvote 1