JETS WR Draft Prospects (the pre-combine edition)

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The problem is you can say the same thing for many positions this draft sucks overall.

There is depth but as far as top end talent.....woof.  (Compared to many other years)

That’s why I see Douglas going defense. The defensive prospects in this draft are pretty good. I can’t see him taking a WR who was rated lower than Mims coming out at pick 10

On 3/1/2022 at 8:49 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Top 5 is solid, i have the same guys, just a little different of an order than you which is kind of what we've talked about all year.  I think alot of it depends on where you put your weight on evaluation.

To me I have it currently at:

Wilson, London, Burks, Dotson, Williams (caveat being I think williams would probably be 1 or 2 for me if not injured).

I always put more stock into consistent identifiable traits.  So Wilsons ability to bend, sink, and get in and out of breaks, his football IQ in terms of blindspot and leverage.. All make him the total package for me at WR when talking about from a pure technical standpoint. Hence the first spot.  

Williams would be first because I see alot of those traits in him as well.  May not be quiteeee the technician wilson is (not many are coming out) but his top end ability of speed is elite, and that is where you could get him to push into that spot had he been healthy.  I cant assume health so he gets marked down to 5th now. 

London I think we both agree on, no need to elaborate too much, only thing you worry about is his ability to separate at the next level.  He's done a really good job being crafty and way more nuanced than you would think with his experience level to get open, but I wouldnt lie about it being at least a little concerning. 

Burks is probably where we've had the biggest disagreement in terms of where to put him.  I think we both really like the prospect from a physical standpoint.. Not much not to like, but it comes back to consistency and fundamental traits for me.  I have not seen enough of the things that I would like to to believe he can be a consistent big time WR at the next level (sink, bend, stem, hip shifting, playing in the blind spot, leverage) .  I wont deny his potential, he's got maybe the biggest upside of anyone in the draft, but that being said in coaching the most dangerous word ever uttered is potential.  So while i recognize his upside and his ability to grow, the best I can put him right now for me is 3rd or 4th.  I wouldnt kill anyone for taking him 1st but for my particular taste i like to not have to project trait development. 

Dotson, Enough said, dude can ball.  redundant for this team in the way that Wilson would be a little redundant as well.  He's an excellent prospect though who does a lot of fundamental things really well. 

In regard to that second tier you talked about I think we're all in lock step on Pickens, just would have liked to see more to get a better feel on him.  I feel like i havent seen enough lately to justify him being higher on the list but he works in that second tier where i dont mind taking risks. 

I would have Christian Watson in that section as well (over a Ross).  I may be biased but the senior bowl has a habit of doing that to me, and he was the standout during the 1 v 1s and game reps to me from an all around standpoint.  May never be a guy that jumps out at you from a physical testing standpoing but certainly a guy that is an all around solid WR.  If you could nab him late 2nd in a trade down or early 3rd I think thats a great spot.  On Ross, im just flat out on the kid. I know the potential, its massive, but the dudes injury history and lack of quality film just takes him off my board. 

Love that you highlight drummond. I was a big fan of him last year when watching Moore film. He's flying super low under the radar currently and would be a good pick later on in the draft. not sure how long he'll skate by like he is though. 

we're closer than we've ever been on a class (sauf Williams ?)  i agree with almost everything you said. Burks is really an anomaly.. I go back and forth depending on the day - sometimes he's #1, sometimes i'm like - ehh, not enough polish and refined ability...

What i'm sure of? Wilson and Pickens are legit. London will survive, at worst in a big slot role, and Dotson is a playmaker... I think.. THINK... Tolbert is in there too. Too smooth and natural.  

On 3/2/2022 at 4:01 AM, redlichtie said:

Really appreciate the effort as always @Paradis and excellent informative thread all round.
I can’t help but be largely underwhelmed by this WR group but every year stars and difference makers emerge, there will be an ace in the pack out there but I just can’t quite see who is worthy of that No 10 pick(never mind No 4) and I am firmly in the “WR is absolutely our greatest need on offence” group.
I really hope we come away with AT LEAST 2 drafted wideouts but I’d have no complaints if JD took the same approach to the position as he took at CB last year with the caveat that we have to make one of those picks in the top 40. 
at this point it seems everyone is sleeping on Chris Olave. I don’t understand why he gets so overlooked!?…what am I missing here?…… I get that he isn’t going to blow up the combine and his height/weight is just average but everything about him just indicates a player who will succeed in the NFL. Everyone wants that 6-3 220 lbs monster that runs a 4.3 with sticky hands and great route-running savvy that has produced since his freshman year in the SEC and finished up with 90 receptions at 20 yards per pop before declaring early….but those guys are unicorns (also known as Julio Jones). 
No idea where the current thinking is with Olave but if he were to slip into the 2nd I personally think that’s insane value and he’d complement Davis and Moore nicely.
Of the others `Pickens is very intruiging and if he checks out health wise Justin Ross has Bryce Hall type upside…..really interested to see more of Dontario Drummond as well. very interesting group and hard to fathom at this point. All of which makes it all the more frustrating that we’ve sat on our hands and let two absolutely loaded WR drafts go by and all we have to show for it is Elijah Moore (Mims has shown nothing up to this point to merit any benefit of the doubt that the light will go on)

It is an underwhelming group overall... I don't know if any of these guys qualify as a blue chip prospect, and while i highlighted 9 interesting prospects, there's not much else. At all.

Olave has become unexpectedly polarizing. There's a camp, like me, who think he's a good WR but no more than WR2/3, and a top of the 3rd, bottom 2nd rnd pick, and those who swear by his 1st rnd pedigree. I think it's pretty clear when you watch his tape that he's a playmaker yes, but he's not the complete package. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s why I see Douglas going defense. The defensive prospects in this draft are pretty good. I can’t see him taking a WR who was rated lower than Mims coming out at pick 10

No not really no better than offense.

We have two linebackes who are really small, we have a bunch of mdium at best pass rushers, we have one over hyped safety and a few decent looking cbs.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:37 AM, bla bla bla said:

I'm sure this will change but right now from watching highlights.

1A. Burks

1B. Wilson

3. Drake London

4. Jameson Williams <- #1 without injury

5. Jahan Dotson

6. George Pickens  <- #2 without injury

7. Chris Olave

8. David Bell

9. Justyn Ross

10. Dontario Drummond

This has changed since watching the Combine:

1. Garrett Wilson

2. Drake London (hopefully runs at Pro Day)

3. Jameson Williams

4. Christain Watson <- Holy smokes I wanted this kid in the 4th Round, now I'm just hoping he makes it to 2nd Round

5. Treylon Burks <- Hoping he redeems himself at Pro Day, biggest loser today IMO

6. Chris Olave

7. George Pickens <- I have heard a bunch of character flaws, probably not on radar 

8. Jahan Dotson

9. Calvin Austin III

10.  Alec Pierce

If I'm being totally honest I'm 100% looking for a trade at WR - Ridley and Cooper being my top 2.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

we're closer than we've ever been on a class (sauf Williams ?)  i agree with almost everything you said. Burks is really an anomaly.. I go back and forth depending on the day - sometimes he's #1, sometimes i'm like - ehh, not enough polish and refined ability...

What i'm sure of? Wilson and Pickens are legit. London will survive, at worst in a big slot role, and Dotson is a playmaker... I think.. THINK... Tolbert is in there too. Too smooth and natural.  

It is an underwhelming group overall... I don't know if any of these guys qualify as a blue chip prospect, and while i highlighted 9 interesting prospects, there's not much else. At all.

Olave has become unexpectedly polarizing. There's a camp, like me, who think he's a good WR but no more than WR2/3, and a top of the 3rd, bottom 2nd rnd pick, and those who swear by his 1st rnd pedigree. I think it's pretty clear when you watch his tape that he's a playmaker yes, but he's not the complete package. 

Problem seems to be that there isn’t that top 10 or even top 5 “perfect” prospect that ticks all the boxes and you’d feel absolutely happy with at 4 or delighted drops to 10 but if history teaches us anything it’s that the bust factor for those guys at WR is probably as high as any other position….it feels like everyone this year would be a reach in the top 10….meanwhile every single year WR’s taken from 20 onwards turn out to be great players. It just seems there are some really exciting prospects in that latter group. It might be the year to double dip in the 2nd round or 2nd and 3rd/4th or if a trade back into the mid-late teens happens go WR there. An intriguing class for sure and while there feels like so much uncertainty there’s some exciting talent out there

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Tell you what.  One dude had a really nice showing at the combine and its a name ive brought up to you 2 years ago. Dont know if you caught it but Mike Woods from Oklahoma (was the Arkansas kid) had a really nice showing. did well in the gauntlet, showed some great catches on deep stuff tracking, and ran in the 4.5s officially.  He came in at 6'1 201 with 33" arms and 9 5/8 hands.   I think he's a very very solid mid rounder for teams. 

Watching the combine, olave showed out really well with his deep speed and body control.  Wilson was Wilson, he was excellent pretty much the whole time plus the 4.38 was nice.  Pickens putting up the 4.47 was good to see.  

Other guys we've talked about on here that I liked from drills and seeing move around (in no particular order)

Shakir was faster than I thought.  He looked solid on film but a nice 4.43 (at the time i think unofficially it was in the 4.3s) is nice. 

Christian Watson (4.38 common now, kids not getting enough love after his senior bowl.  Also had some nice grabs in drills and is 6'4 208). 

Skye Moore looked good as well

• Upvote 2

On 3/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, Augustiniak said:

Would the jets consider a wr at 4 if ekongwu, thibs and hutch are gone?  I really doubt they take a safety after trading adams.  Would they take cross at 4, kind of a brick clone?  This is where the combine could shape the jets’ draft.

Neal

On 3/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, Augustiniak said:

Would the jets consider a wr at 4 if ekongwu, thibs and hutch are gone?  I really doubt they take a safety after trading adams.  Would they take cross at 4, kind of a brick clone?  This is where the combine could shape the jets’ draft.

I'd go Neal

For the sake of my sanity, I need a defensive heavy FA period. Grab a safety, figure out an edge option or two, maybe a backer to run with CJ. There are good options for the offense in the draft. If we draft a freaking safety up high, I'm gonna lose my mind. Failing KT being there, Take whichever of Neal/Iggy slips, then pick your WR (It's London for me but close with Wilson).  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Tell you what.  One dude had a really nice showing at the combine and its a name ive brought up to you 2 years ago. Dont know if you caught it but Mike Woods from Oklahoma (was the Arkansas kid) had a really nice showing. did well in the gauntlet, showed some great catches on deep stuff tracking, and ran in the 4.5s officially.  He came in at 6'1 201 with 33" arms and 9 5/8 hands.   I think he's a very very solid mid rounder for teams. 

Watching the combine, olave showed out really well with his deep speed and body control.  Wilson was Wilson, he was excellent pretty much the whole time plus the 4.38 was nice.  Pickens putting up the 4.47 was good to see.  

Other guys we've talked about on here that I liked from drills and seeing move around (in no particular order)

Shakir was faster than I thought.  He looked solid on film but a nice 4.43 (at the time i think unofficially it was in the 4.3s) is nice. 

Christian Watson (4.38 common now, kids not getting enough love after his senior bowl.  Also had some nice grabs in drills and is 6'4 208). 

Watson’s workout was surprising to say the least.   Watching him during the season you would never guess he’s THAT athletic though.   I wonder how he will respond to press man and if he can be physical and win with the ball in the air.  He’s going to be an interesting study.  

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I'd go Neal

I hear you, but at this point i think they would go BAP pass rusher assuming one tests well like ojabu.  Taking neal means they either shift becton to the right or trade him.  I think the first round is going to be 2 defensive guys, and then on day 2 they look at wrs/ol/te

39 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I hear you, but at this point i think they would go BAP pass rusher assuming one tests well like ojabu.  Taking neal means they either shift becton to the right or trade him.  I think the first round is going to be 2 defensive guys, and then on day 2 they look at wrs/ol/te

I wouldn't hate it, but I really hope we use at least one of the first two picks on an offensive player. If they feel Ojabu grades out better, I'm with it.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Watson’s workout was surprising to say the least.   Watching him during the season you would never guess he’s THAT athletic though.   I wonder how he will respond to press man and if he can be physical and win with the ball in the air.  He’s going to be an interesting study.  

I've been trying to find examples too. This video has a few examples of him going against press and some contested catch situations.

https://youtu.be/kAw-bB1wvEg

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Well, I mean he answered a ton of questions about athleticism to me which is what I questioned a few times when i watched his tape (not that he wasnt athletic but I didnt always see explosive). His senior bowl he showed a lot of really good body control, and pretty good releases so while he's no where near a finished product, I think you can feel comfortable taking him in the 2nd and knowing his skills will translate.  

I said this in another post too but Pierce surprised me alot with his athleticism.  Way more explosive than I gave him credit for and faster.  I watch his film and even though he got deep, I always felt he was like an Eric Decker where he's not a guy thats going to time super fast but just understands how to play the tempo game to get behind guys.  I thought he'd be a mid 4.5 guy turned out to be a 4.41 guy. I have to go back and watch the film again because clearly there were things I either wasnt looking at or missed initially. 

13 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I do remember you pitching woods... (can i say that?). In fact i think that's how our long thread started... hahah, so much innuendo. 

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Problem seems to be that there isn’t that top 10 or even top 5 “perfect” prospect that ticks all the boxes and you’d feel absolutely happy with at 4 or delighted drops to 10 but if history teaches us anything it’s that the bust factor for those guys at WR is probably as high as any other position….it feels like everyone this year would be a reach in the top 10….meanwhile every single year WR’s taken from 20 onwards turn out to be great players. It just seems there are some really exciting prospects in that latter group. It might be the year to double dip in the 2nd round or 2nd and 3rd/4th or if a trade back into the mid-late teens happens go WR there. An intriguing class for sure and while there feels like so much uncertainty there’s some exciting talent out there

I get what you're saying... i just don't know if i'd have anyone of them graded so high that i would pass on some other players. That said, there's not a lot to love about the RND 1 names outside of a few pass rushers and Oline prospects. Maybe i've become jaded. 

On 3/3/2022 at 11:09 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Sorry, who has Wilson rated lower than Mims?  Link please?

At this point, post combine, if we are going to take a WR at 10, imo it should be Wilson.  He is the only WR I am considering there. Best route runner in the class, has had some drops which gives me some pause, but the guy knows how to get open.  I think he is the best fit for our offense and the only guy worthy of 10.  Otherwise, I expect 4 & 10 to be defense in which case 35 & 38 had better be offense.  Sausce and an edge at 4.  WR and OL/TE at 35 & 38.

All of this subject to change next week as FA gets going.

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

image.png.063494cb525470ced4e07a3a012ead28.png

Mims was the better prospect 

I don't think that says what you think it says.  It's a combine 'athletic' score, not an NFL prospect score.  It's literally just a list of scores, metrics of athleticism.  It takes alot more than physical skills to succeed in the NFL.

Had a challenge finding a card set up the same way for Wilson, but they certainly (RAS) have him scored lower in terms of athleticism from the one I did find.  I'm almost willing to guarantee Wilson becomes the vastly better Pro WR, lol.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't think that says what you think it says.  It's a combine 'athletic' score, not an NFL prospect score.  It's literally just a list of scores, metrics of athleticism.  It takes alot more than physical skills to succeed in the NFL.

Had a challenge finding a card set up the same way for Wilson, but they certainly (RAS) have him scored lower in terms of athleticism from the one I did find.  I'm almost willing to guarantee Wilson becomes the vastly better Pro WR, lol.

Sadly, as of right now, all Wilson has to do to accomplish that is to be active on game day.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sadly, as of right now, all Wilson has to do to accomplish that is to be active on game day.

Which goes to show that while physical size, athleticism and scores on non-football running and agility drills are in fact great, it's not what makes a player a great NFL WR.

Mims has all the things you'd want physically, we've all said it. Yet some of us knew he was a bust in waiting.  It was pretty obvious even from that first interview for those who cared to look.  The number of WR's taken ahead of him, and that no one seemed to really want him should have been a sign too.  But some folks do love "winning the draft" with guys like Mims...

Wilson may not have the same body as Mims, but he appears to have it all where Mims is lacking.  Passion for the game, on-field smarts and dedication.  

I guess we'll see, but the effort to portray this WR class as worst in history seems to go hand in hand with folks who desperately want to draft Defense (and maybe a Safety) with our top picks in round 1, lol. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Which goes to show that while physical size, athleticism and scores on non-football running and agility drills are in fact great, it's not what makes a player a great NFL WR.

Mims has all the things you'd want physically, we've all said it. Yet some of us knew he was a bust in waiting.  It was pretty obvious even from that first interview for those who cared to look.

Wilson may not have the same body as Mims, but he appears to have it all where Mims is lacking.  Passion for the game, on-field smarts and dedication.  

I guess we'll see, but the effort to portray this WR class as worst in history seems to go hand in hand with folks who desperately want to draft Defense (and maybe a Safety) with out top pick in round 1, lol. 

Along those lines, I'll bet one or two of this crop of QB's turn out to be pretty good too.

• Upvote 1