Beware of the Ides of March

March is here. 

Combine this week

More importantly free agency begins March 16.

How will this team look by April 1st? Who will be our early FA acquisitions or will sleepy Joe stay pat with the usual plug and play guys. Let me know your opinions 

Just like last year. We will Sign guys that we will convince ourselves they could be good  but will likely either get hurt or underperform or possibly both. One or two of them will turn out to be terrible and likely one we think will be serviceable will be shockingly good. Nothing new to see here, 

• Upvote 1

Gotta love the optimism of our fan base lol.... I get it's been bad for a long time, but sometimes you need to have a little faith. Let's give this front office and staff a chance. Last year saw some decent players on the field, and with some smart choices in FA, and the draft, one can hope that 2022, turns out to be another 2021.

That said, EDGE/TE/WR/OL/LB/Safety. are the positions to concentrate on this year.

• Upvote 2

—Grotesque overpay for Scherff. Sign Jessie Bates and a few Niners castoffs like Jaquiski Tartt and Raheem Mostert. 

—Amari Cooper and JC Jackson are the two free agents they’ll be “highly interested in” but don’t come close to getting because they spent all the money on Scherff

—Trade picks and/or Becton to conscript some poor, doomed WR whose career will then effectively end. 

—Desperately try and fail to trade up in the draft for Aidan Hutchinson, who is Robert Saleh’s gritty dream pick/only guy in the top ten he has a chance of developing. 

—End up drafting Kyle Hamilton and Trevor Penning. Uses the words “football character” about 56,000 times in the subsequent two days.

—Draft two nose tackles in first five rounds.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

March is here. 

Combine this week

More importantly free agency begins March 16.

How will this team look by April 1st? Who will be our early FA acquisitions or will sleepy Joe stay pat with the usual plug and play guys. Let me know your opinions 

Just curious - if you had the chance to meet JD - would you start off by kicking him in the nuts and then ask questions?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

This place is going to be unbearable after the 1st day of free agency. “You mean the $20mil a year superstar didn’t want to come to the Jets? **** Joe D man”      

Every single signing of more than $3M/year that first week will result in a deluge of angry posts about why JD doesn't know what he's doing and Woody references to the Scrooge McDuck image.  I'm going to be merging threads like a boss :)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am really growing to hate free agency.  Everything about FA is counter to the league's goal of parity.  It happens every year.  We get all excited over the cap space and the players that are available.  And every year, we watch as guys use the Jets to leverage a better deal from the contender they want to play for.  And then we get all the "I can't beleive we didn't sign him for that contract" threads.  As if we had a realistic chance at the guy.  For FA, the player is the decision maker, not the team.

We are at a competitive disadvantage in free agency.  We have to pay a Jets premium to entice players to come here.  And we also have to pay a NJ State Income Tax premium.  And when we pay that premium, it usually does not work out and we can't wait to cut the guy to free up cap space.  Bell, Tru, Revis (part II).  Corey Davis is trending that way, although it is too early to draw conclusion, but year 1 was disappointing.  Even though CJ Mosley played well this past season, it is hard to say he is worth the contract.

Best FA signings we have had in recent years have been the low key signings.  Fant, Moses, Crowder, etc.

I'd add to that list that the Salary Cap doesn't work as intended.  Teams restructure year after year, pushing the problem down the road.  They can often do this for 3, 4, 5 years and then just take a year or two of pain and start over.  That's not really parity.  It's more of a 'pick your window and go all in' model that doesn't promote stability or parity.  In order to make it work, they would have to limit the amount that can be restructured every year, but of course the NFLPA would oppose that and owners don't really seem to care enough to want to change it.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am really growing to hate free agency.  Everything about FA is counter to the league's goal of parity.  It happens every year.  We get all excited over the cap space and the players that are available.  And every year, we watch as guys use the Jets to leverage a better deal from the contender they want to play for.  And then we get all the "I can't beleive we didn't sign him for that contract" threads.  As if we had a realistic chance at the guy.  For FA, the player is the decision maker, not the team.

We are at a competitive disadvantage in free agency.  We have to pay a Jets premium to entice players to come here.  And we also have to pay a NJ State Income Tax premium.  And when we pay that premium, it usually does not work out and we can't wait to cut the guy to free up cap space.  Bell, Tru, Revis (part II).  Corey Davis is trending that way, although it is too early to draw conclusion, but year 1 was disappointing.  Even though CJ Mosley played well this past season, it is hard to say he is worth the contract.

Best FA signings we have had in recent years have been the low key signings.  Fant, Moses, Crowder, etc.

This is living in the past thinking.  A huge problem with this fanbase.  You think this franchise is thought of the same under douglas/saleh as it was under mccagnan/gase?

We are now a prime destination any player would be extremely lucky to play for.

Jet fans r so used to losing they are scared of becoming good.

This franchise has turned the corner and is about to embark on the best stretch of football in franchise history.

Embrace it and stop fighting it.  It is happening!!!’

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is living in the past thinking.  A huge problem with this fanbase.  You think this franchise is thought of the same under douglas/saleh as it was under mccagnan/gase?

This franchise has turned the corner and is about to embark on the best stretch of football in franchise history.

Other than you incessantly saying so is there any other reason for this? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

JD isn’t a first day free agency guy

dont bother refreshing every 3 minutes lol

remember the first fish in the boat last off season?

DIdnt JD sign Lawson, C Davis and J Davis on the first day of "legal tampering" last season (Mar 15, 2021?)

10 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

DIdnt JD sign Lawson, C Davis and J Davis on the first day of "legal tampering" last season (Mar 15, 2021?)

Jarred was the first signing. If the other guys were on that day then I’m wrong

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

—Grotesque overpay for Scherff. Sign Jessie Bates and a few Niners castoffs like Jaquiski Tartt and Raheem Mostert. 

—Amari Cooper and JC Jackson are the two free agents they’ll be “highly interested in” but don’t come close to getting because they spent all the money on Scherff

—Trade picks and/or Becton to conscript some poor, doomed WR whose career will then effectively end. 

—Desperately try and fail to trade up in the draft for Aidan Hutchinson, who is Robert Saleh’s gritty dream pick/only guy in the top ten he has a chance of developing. 

—End up drafting Kyle Hamilton and Trevor Penning. Uses the words “football character” about 56,000 times in the subsequent two days.

—Draft two nose tackles in first five rounds.

I detect you've seen this play before

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Lets see what happens in two weeks.    

1 hour ago, Lith said:

And we also have to pay a NJ State Income Tax

Your showing your age

The average 20 something year old millionaire doesn’t give a sh*t about their income tax bracket, but do care about being in the largest media market of the greatest city of the world. 

or they could live in I don’t know…..Indianapolis? yawn 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I'd add to that list that the Salary Cap doesn't work as intended.  Teams restructure year after year, pushing the problem down the road.  They can often do this for 3, 4, 5 years and then just take a year or two of pain and start over.  That's not really parity.  It's more of a 'pick your window and go all in' model that doesn't promote stability or parity.  In order to make it work, they would have to limit the amount that can be restructured every year, but of course the NFLPA would oppose that and owners don't really seem to care enough to want to change it.

They did give it a try with the 89% minimum spend rule, but that's also so easy to get around by front-loading the newest contracts so multiple players - whether new FAs or current player extensions - have an extra $10-20MM or more sneak into that window in y4.

Even if there was unanimous willingness to change it (i.e. "I'll do it only if everyone else does") it's hard to get around. The only alternative is setting a hard cap, but there are negative consequences to that, too: that'd make the team to spend really high in a year when it'd force them to lock into some bad players. There's probably some other negative, unintended consequences along those lines, too. But I agree with you in spirit.