Saleh, McVay, & Shanahan won't be attending combine

Just now, faba said:

Not a problem for me-he has seen some prospects already up close.

Let the scouts do their homework plus combine is not end all to what a player can actually do

I think that's kinda where I land as well. I'd imagine there is collaboration on all picks but I think there is a trust in place too.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

What do you guys think the percentage is of what players get picked. 80/20 Douglas/Saleh? Or do you think Saleh has a strong opinion in the room on who they draft 

From all accounts, they are all pretty much on the same page. Saleh was very adamant about that on the call last week when asked about the nice 2021 draft. He said that both his coaches team and JD's scout teams worked great together, and were all very open about the process to each other. I think his quote was " when you have that type of synergy in a process, it's pretty hard to screw up."

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not sure the rationale unless it’s a cost cutting thing. 

Shanahan and Mcvay also not going. I think the younger coaching generation don't see the benefit to sitting in the stands while players run and jump. Analytics rule the day and the "eye" test of players running around in underwear doesn't really add much....at least for some teams. 

The better question is, what is the rationale in going? Idzik and Mac went to every combine. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

From all accounts, they are all pretty much on the same page. Saleh was very adamant about that on the call last week when asked about the nice 2021 draft. He said that both his coaches team and JD's scout teams worked great together, and were all very open about the process to each other. I think his quote was " when you have that type of synergy in a process, it's pretty hard to screw up."

Makes you realize how the guys they picked last year were much more tailored to their schemes than the 2020 draft, where saleh seemed to play every rb except for Perine.  Also makes me wonder if they’re going to try and trade becton before the draft. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I feel that Saleh and JD should both be there.  

What are they doing for their jobs that is more important?

If I could convince myself any of this matters I think I could align with you. I honestly don’t think Saleh being there would somehow change the actual information that comes out. It would very likely add his own bias to the situation and possibly alter the scouts opinions on what they saw. Head coach falls in love  with a player at the combine just because so scouts have to waste time convincing him he’s not the guy. Rather than putting all the info together and presenting it as a complete package? Honestly no clue. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Makes you realize how the guys they picked last year were much more tailored to their schemes than the 2020 draft, where saleh seemed to play every rb except for Perine.  Also makes me wonder if they’re going to try and trade becton before the draft. 

Or during the draft? I think it's a fair point to speculate about. If that were to happen, it would prove beyond a doubt that this entire organization is pulling in the same direction for once. First off, it would be your GM admitting a mistake. Secondly, it would have to be a pretty much unanimous decision from the HC, the OC, position coach, trainers, all the way down. Odds are it won't happen. But if it does, it does tell you that these guys have a definite plan, and that all are on board. And that would be the bigger story.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Or during the draft? I think it's a fair point to speculate about. If that were to happen, it would prove beyond a doubt that this entire organization is pulling in the same direction for once. First off, it would be your GM admitting a mistake. Secondly, it would have to be a pretty much unanimous decision from the HC, the OC, position coach, trainers, all the way down. Odds are it won't happen. But if it does, it does tell you that these guys have a definite plan, and that all are on board. And that would be the bigger story.

I’d rather have a gm who admits a mistake and tries to fix it.  My guess is that douglas will try to have a deal in place in case they draft a tackle at 4, so they could flip becton.  If they go edge at 4 i think it’s less likely they deal him.  At 10 i fully expect douglas to try and trade back, so at that point it opens it up to more possible positions in the teens.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

I think one of the bigger roles for Saleh at the combine is talking to / interviewing players and they did note "Saleh will be available to interview prospects over video conferencing. "

Ideally, I'd like him to be there in person, but Im sure he's also not just sitting at home doing nothing this week.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If I could convince myself any of this matters I think I could align with you. I honestly don’t think Saleh being there would somehow change the actual information that comes out. It would very likely add his own bias to the situation and possibly alter the scouts opinions on what they saw. Head coach falls in love  with a player at the combine just because so scouts have to waste time convincing him he’s not the guy. Rather than putting all the info together and presenting it as a complete package? Honestly no clue. 

Excellent point.   Ideally we don't want Saleh pounding the table for a borderline prospect that he fell in love with at the combine, over the scouts/GMs analysis (i.e. what Rex Ryan used to do)?  Just speculating. 

• Haha 1

Everything that goes on at the Combine Saleh will be able to see.  Whether it's from a suite on the club level of Lucas Oil Stadium or on video...does it really matter?

He'll be present via video conference for all the interviews.

Other than chatting up prospects because he randomly ran into them on the streets of Indy....he's not going to miss anything.

The combine is really for scouts to scout and agents to lie.  That's about it.

(Also they all get drunk and try to cheat on their wives)

• Sympathy 1

Just now, IndianaJet said:

Everything that goes on at the Combine Saleh will be able to see.  Whether it's from a suite on the club level of Lucas Oil Stadium or on video...does it really matter?

He'll be present via video conference for all the interviews.

Other than chatting up prospects because he randomly ran into them on the streets of Indy....he's not going to miss anything.

The combine is really for scouts to scout and agents to lie.  That's about it.

(Also they all get drunk and try to cheat on their wives)

I'm not making a comment on Saleh's attendance, but I think you're off base. 

I remember reading an article that one of the big things about the combine isn't just rookies, but the networking among coaches/gms for when you need to fill out your staff in the future. Also, the GMs meeting with agents who may or may not represent current/future players. 

You pretty much get a whole bunch of people related to the NFL in one place. It's more than just a dog and pony show of players. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I remember reading an article that one of the big things about the combine isn't just rookies, but the networking among coaches/gms for when you need to fill out your staff in the future. Also, the GMs meeting with agents who may or may not represent current/future players. 

You pretty much get a whole bunch of people related to the NFL in one place. It's more than just a dog and pony show of players. 

What's off base about my statement?  I'm not worried about Saleh missing an opportunity to network...there's plenty of opportunity for that throughout the course of the year and Saleh has already been on the coaching staff of multiple teams.  Other than that, everything you mention is about GMs meeting people...and JD is going.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Shanahan and Mcvay also not going. I think the younger coaching generation don't see the benefit to sitting in the stands while players run and jump. Analytics rule the day and the "eye" test of players running around in underwear doesn't really add much....at least for some teams. 

The better question is, what is the rationale in going? Idzik and Mac went to every combine. 

The answer is the interviews.  Hopefully he's joining those remotely.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Would imagine this was a big part of the Senior Bowl week. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Not sure the rationale unless it’s a cost cutting thing. 

Maybe Douglas thinks he has a lousy poker face in hiding the Jets' plans and/or doesn't want him to be approached regarding his recent experience with this or that prospect at the senior bowl.

Or that any trade negotiations & talks that go on should happen solely with Douglas alone, not with the HC standing next to him rendering opinions in real time or making approving or disapproving faces. Even if the coach has a perfect/robotic poker face, it still helps Douglas to always have the option of not answering one way or the other right away by saying, "I don't know, I'd have to run that past Saleh when I talk to him later," and he can't do that if Saleh's standing right there. 

Other than that I've got nothing lol. 

• Upvote 2