Saleh, McVay, & Shanahan won't be attending combine

21 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

What's off base about my statement?  I'm not worried about Saleh missing an opportunity to network...there's plenty of opportunity for that throughout the course of the year and Saleh has already been on the coaching staff of multiple teams.  Other than that, everything you mention is about GMs meeting people...and JD is going.

That you literally wrote the combine is just about rookie players. 

Again, I'm not arguing either way on whether Saleh needs to be there. 

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

According to Connor Hughes, staff is "deep in film study on free agent & draft class." Will partake in prospect meetings virtually. 

If this is any indication that the coaching staff will have a larger say in free agency I think this is great news. I've always felt NFL coaches are best equipped to scout pros/identify who fits in their system, whereas the college scouts are best at identifying talent and determining how they project whether they'll be able to fit into an NFL scheme once taught what the coaching staff looks for. 

It's hard for a coach to properly evaluate college guys because they're so used to watching film on pro guys

Michael Rainey Jr Yes GIF by Power Book II: Ghost

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

These teams get streams of data on players from their time in college and supplement that with the data taken at the combine. Sitting in a luxury box hundreds of feet away from the field while guys run 40s doesn't really add much to the process that can't be seen on a TV in Florham park. 

These players have been put through their paces, measured and tested pretty much since sophomore year of high school. 

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, maybe Saleh can Coach from hom then too, after all he can see everything on TV, the outcome won't be meaningfully different, right?

Sorry, at some point I expect exceptionally well paid people to actually be on-site, doing their jobs.  Insanity, I know.

Watching guys run around in their underwear and coaching a football  team during a game are equivocal for the sake of this discussion? Then yes he should be 100% there or fired. That bastard!

I thought he had guys for that? If not? Then yes he should be fired. That bastard! 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BeaconJet said:

Excellent point.   Ideally we don't want Saleh pounding the table for a borderline prospect that he fell in love with at the combine, over the scouts/GMs analysis (i.e. what Rex Ryan used to do)?  Just speculating. 

I was trying to tip toe around the R word, 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Shanahan and Mcvay also not going. I think the younger coaching generation don't see the benefit to sitting in the stands while players run and jump. Analytics rule the day and the "eye" test of players running around in underwear doesn't really add much....at least for some teams. 

The better question is, what is the rationale in going? Idzik and Mac went to every combine. 

I dunno. Seems like an opportunity to get face time with players even if it’s not in a formal interview setting. I don’t see any downside in them being there. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dunno. Seems like an opportunity to get face time with players even if it’s not in a formal interview setting. I don’t see any downside in them being there. 

They can’t afford to miss a week of “self-scouting” from last year’s program-wide redshirt season, and also Saleh has to be around to pick out the bathroom tile.

• Haha 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

They can’t afford to miss a week of “self-scouting” from last year’s program-wide redshirt season, and also Saleh has to be around to pick out the bathroom tile.

They’re staying home to watch film was an interesting excuse lol. The Jets make nothing easy.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

They’re staying home to watch film was an interesting excuse lol. The Jets make nothing easy.

Mcvay and the Rams, Shanahan and the Niners are regarded as teams ahead of the curve. If they think their time is better used back at team HQ to watch film of Rookies/Free agents and to process all the data from 2021 as opposed to watching players run around in underwear, not sure why it bothers anyone that the Jets are doing the same. 

There were was a time when fans mocked analytics also and demanded coaches use the "old school" approach instead. Regardless, the Jets will still have scouts at the combine. So it's not like we aren't going to have a presence, you just won't see JD dozing off in the luxury box this year.....

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Mcvay and the Rams, Shanahan and the Niners are regarded as teams ahead of the curve. If they think their time is better used back at team HQ to watch film of Rookies/Free agents and to process all the data from 2021 as opposed to watching players run around in underwear, not sure why it bothers anyone that the Jets are doing the same. 

There were was a time when fans mocked analytics also and demanded coaches use the "old school" approach instead. Regardless, the Jets will still have scouts at the combine. So it's not like we aren't going to have a presence, you just won't see JD dozing off in the luxury box this year.....

It’s unconventional for a bad team to skip key offseason events that’s all. No downside to having all hands on deck.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Becton and QW, have no use for those two lazy bums

Total nonsense.  You might want to pick a player who played more than on quarter of a game before missing the season and one who is one of the best players on the team.  People who think Q is a dog who quit on the team need to take a break from talking football

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It’s unconventional for a bad team to skip key offseason events that’s all. No downside to having all hands on deck.

Its so unconventional that two of the best HCs in the league are also doing the same

Didnt read the article but when it was reported last night the comment was there was too much to do at 1JD but the team will be well represented in Indy.  

Plus HC coach, GMs scout players

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The downside it takes away from time they believe can be better used watching film and preparing for free agency.

This doesn't seem to be about laziness but rather a resource allocation decision.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

The downside it takes away from time they believe can be better used watching film and preparing for free agency.

This doesn't seem to be about laziness but rather a resource allocation decision.

If they can do zoom interviews then they can also watch film on the road. The combine is a week not a month. Just seemed like a strange decision when the team has so many picks (and the draft that will make or break Douglas).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

a resource allocation decision.

This is the same coach who opted to move across the country with seven kids and start a major home renovation job that carried deep into his first season as a Head Coach in the NFL but now he can’t spare four days in early March because there’s just too much film to watch of his own team? Now he’s worried about allocating his time? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is the same coach who opted to move across the country with seven kids and start a major home renovation job that carried deep into his first season as a Head Coach in the NFL but now he can’t spare four days in early March because there’s just too much film to watch of his own team? Now he’s worried about allocating his time? 

Yeah the excuses on this one are even more homerish than usual. I’d like to hear Douglas answer this question truthfully. The team has a boatload of picks. The staff not being there is very odd. Almost as odd as a coach not being in the war room. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah the excuses on this one are even more homerish than usual. I’d like to hear Douglas answer this question truthfully. The team has a boatload of picks. The staff not being there is very odd. Almost as odd as a coach not being in the war room. 

Especially given the fact that the 2020 draft class—which Douglas allegedly conducted by himself—is catastrophic because of character concerns and Saleh’s presence allegedly corrected that for the 21 draft. So, what, Saleh is gonna prevent the next Mims pick via Zoom? Because he can’t tear himself away from watching Bills tape for a few hours? 

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Watching guys run around in their underwear

I.e. Talent Evaluation

and coaching a football  team during a game

I.e. Talent Management

are equivocal for the sake of this discussion? Then yes he should be 100% there or fired. That bastard!

He should be there.

I'll turn it around, why in your view should he not be there, specifically?

Does he have nothing to offer on the question of talent and system fit?

I thought he had guys for that? If not? Then yes he should be fired. That bastard! 

If he's irrelevant to evaluating potential talent for his systems and his team, maybe he's not the right guy.

Guess we'll see.  So far he has the worst Defense in Jets Franchise history as his only resume item in NY.

Maybe he's too busy redesigning his pathetic defense system?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Stop it!

Silly analogy and even worse take on the time consumption of an event like that.  

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Especially given the fact that the 2020 draft class—which Douglas allegedly conducted by himself—is catastrophic because of character concerns and Saleh’s presence allegedly corrected that for the 21 draft. So, what, Saleh is gonna prevent the next Mims pick via Zoom? Because he can’t tear himself away from watching Bills tape for a few hours? 

Especially since Saleh wasnt here for the 2020 draft class.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I.e. Talent Evaluation

I.e. Talent Management

He should be there.

I'll turn it around, why in your view should he not be there, specifically?

Does he have nothing to offer on the question of talent and system fit?

If he's irrelevant to evaluating potential talent for his systems and his team, maybe he's not the right guy.

Guess we'll see.  So far he has the worst Defense in Jets Franchise history as his only resume item in NY.

Maybe he's too busy redesigning his pathetic defense system?

He doesnt coach the defense.