"Who the Hell is Mel Kiper" and his new mock draft

Stark

47 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I seriously, seriously doubt they're taking Hamilton. I could see them passing on Thibs though.

Increasingly feels like Linderbaum won't go that high. I'd be very stirred if the Browns jumped us for London.

I get that this draft is weaker up top, but the highest I think he'd likely go is in the mid-late teens to Philadelphia, specifically because they have 3 picks and Kelce is a UFA so the timing works well for them.

For the Jets, who have one less 1st round pick, and with the 2 they have being worth a good deal more? I'd rather they just sign Kelce if Philly lets him go, and keep our picks for positions that'd actually make a huge difference over McGovern. I'm not saying Linderbaum won't be a better player, but just not better enough for this type of investment (as opposed to the much bigger team improvement we'd see by using that pick on other positions where we've been trotting out late-rounders, UDFAs, and others' cuts).  

I guess there's a possibility with Balt, if they don't extend Bozeman, but I think that's unlikely when their greater need is for a WR, or  even at tackle with Villanueva slowing down (the recurring football advice of never pick up starters the Steelers let go, lol).

So basically, for all the talk of taking him at #10, the likelihood is he'll still be there in the 20s unless the Eagles - and only the Eagles - draft him.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Stark said:

I know these guys are required to put out multiple mocks, and a lot of the time why they change stuff up.... but man. JETS pass on Thibs. I just can't see it happening.

Can't post entire article but ill give top 10 picks

1. Jags - Ikem Edwonu, OT, NC State
  2. Lions - Aidan Hutchinson, DE Michigan
  3. Texans - Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
  4. JETS - Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame ?
  5. Giants - Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon
  6. Panthers - Charles Cross, OT, Miss St
  7. Giants - Devin Lloyd, ILB, Utah
  8. Falcons - Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, CB Cincinnati
  9. Browns (Trade with Broncos to pass JETS) - Drake London, WR, USC
  10. JETS - Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa

Bill Murray Fainting GIF by filmeditor

3 hours ago, Stark said:

I know these guys are required to put out multiple mocks, and a lot of the time why they change stuff up.... but man. JETS pass on Thibs. I just can't see it happening.

I'd probably reDraft this as...

4. JETS - Kayvon Thibodeaux

10. JETS - Garrett Wilson or Treylon Burks

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Let me preface this by saying I'm not super thrilled about taking a safety at 4

that being said, I see how they get there 

If the board goes Ikey, Hutch and Neal, that leaves the Jets with a choice between Thibs and... well not Thibs. 

The edge from Oregon is a huge sh*t talker. He talks about Nike, income tax, his hometown team

he uses the word "stigmatism" like an a$$hole

meanwhile he's got a grand total of 16 sacks over 3 years. Gholston had 31, 3 of which came against Jake Long (1 overall) in the same game. 

He's got no moves other than athleticism. His film is against guards like AVT in the Pac12.

Regardless of what you or I want, I can see Saleh absolutely loathing this player, for a thousand reasons. 

which brings us back to Hamilton. 

If there's no better option and they can't trade out, I can see them making this pick, just to avoid the human tire fire that is Jadaveon Clowney. Sorry I meant to type Kayvon Thibodeaux;)

• Upvote 1

For the people saying they will lose their sh!t if the Jets pass on Thibs …. you do realize that’s more an indictment on Thibs than it is praise for Hamilton, right?  It sounds like there’s plenty of risk involved with Thibs (DJ was quoted in Peter King’s article on Monday as saying that he takes a lot of plays off and had him drop to 6 in his mock for that reason) and you’re not hearing that about Hamilton.  For a team with plenty of holes, I’m fine with Douglas taking the safe approach at 4 if he thinks Thibs has too much risk.  I’m not saying I’d hate the pick, all I’m saying is I’ll trust Douglas’s decision on this because Thibs is not the same sure-fire number one prospect he was a month or so ago.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'd probably reDraft this as...

4. JETS - Kayvon Thibodeaux

10. JETS - Garrett Wilson or Treylon Burks

Thibs and Burks for me right now. See if that holds up after combine

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I get that this draft is weaker up top, but the highest I think he'd likely go is in the mid-late teens to Philadelphia, specifically because they have 3 picks and Kelce is a UFA so the timing works well for them.

For the Jets, who have one less 1st round pick, and with the 2 they have being worth a good deal more? I'd rather they just sign Kelce if Philly lets him go, and keep our picks for positions that'd actually make a huge difference over McGovern. I'm not saying Linderbaum won't be a better player, but just not better enough for this type of investment (as opposed to the much bigger team improvement we'd see by using that pick on other positions where we've been trotting out late-rounders, UDFAs, and others' cuts).  

I guess there's a possibility with Balt, if they don't extend Bozeman, but I think that's unlikely when their greater need is for a WR, or  even at tackle with Villanueva slowing down (the recurring football advice of never pick up starters the Steelers let go, lol).

So basically, for all the talk of taking him at #10, the likelihood is he'll still be there in the 20s unless the Eagles - and only the Eagles - draft him.

I don’t think the eagles will draft him either. They drafted their center last year in Dickerson 

10 hours ago, Stark said:

‘4 putrid

10 good

Kiper must be on drugs for giving us Linderbaum at 10.

why is it that every time the last 3 years that we pick the best guy to draft is a OL. but teams like KC can get one of the best Centers at the end of the 2nd rd. but not us Jets. 

even Nick Mangod was a 29th pick. is he that much better? do we need a Center better than Mangod? its just stupid.

and for the record i will lose my sh*t if we draft an OL in rd 1. 

we seen to many QB has good/great years behind worst OLs than we had last year. if Zach needs to throw behind " The Great Wall of China " then he sucks and we need to move on. adding a RG or a Center wont add any wins to our team. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I really don't understand the resistance to this... It separates fantasy managers from Jets fans. 

Look at the vast majority of starting centers in the league. What round were they drafted? How much are they being paid?  Drafting linderbaum at 10 makes him the highest drafted center exclusive player ever, but also a fringe top 10 salary center. If he busts like Bradbury then it’s a colossal failure. Overdrafting a position by a wide margin that isn’t even needed because currently there’s a top 10 player on the team, while passing on premium positions like edge, cb, wr 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

5 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Look at the vast majority of starting centers in the league. What round were they drafted? How much are they being paid?  Drafting linderbaum at 10 not only makes him the highest drafted center exclusive player ever, but also a fringe top 10 salary guy. Not only does he have to be fantastic right out of the gate to not only justify his draft position, but also his salary. 

It's all relative though. Consider that--

• It's one of the weakest drafts in recent years at the top. There's some pass rushers, and a safety. These OTs aren't anything to write a letter to mom about. No blue chip WRs, or CBs, etc etc
  • No one gives a sh*t in 2-3 years where you drafted Mangold when you draft a Mangold. 
  • At this point, our roster benefits from the highest floor possible. The Jets Hall of Shame draft picks says so.
  • IMO, there's way to much faith in McGovern on JN

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

• It's one of the weakest drafts in recent years at the top. There's some pass rushers, and a safety. These OTs aren't anything to write a letter to mom about. No blue chip WRs, or CBs, etc etc
  • No one gives a sh*t in 2-3 years where you drafted Mangold when you draft a Mangold. 
  • At this point, our roster benefits from the highest floor possible. The Jets Hall of Shame draft picks says so.

If sauce plays good not great vs linderbaum playing good not great which will have a greater impact on the team? I think the answer is obvious. It becomes a much wider margin if they are both great. A true #1 stud cb has a much greater effect on the game than a great center. There’s a reason cbs demand 20 mil a season while centers are 10. 

Will drafting cole strange or Dylan parham be that much of a downgrade from linderbaum? Maybe slightly, but that’s the point. It won’t make a drastic difference unlike Echols vs sauce or a mid round cb like coby Bryant vs sauce (both from cincy hehe) 

The rg spot can be a cheap fix. Ldt is what 6 mil? If you want to go more $$ then James Daniels will be what like 8? How much will a quality starting outside cb be? 12+ maybe? That’s a 50% markup 

• Upvote 2

I continue to think the right play is trading down.  There aren’t generational players in the top 4-10 and the closest to it, are the ones Mel Kiper just listed.

Better to get multiple picks and preserve some of our draft value, b/c as it stands we are losing a tremendous amount in a draft where the 4th best guy and the 30th best are basically neck and neck.

I know it sucks that we aren’t going to get a Patrick Peterson, Von Miller or a Calvin Johnson..  eg Safe, obvious picks at a premiere position, but thats the hand we’ve been dealt.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

and what difference did Mangod do for us? we were a 500 team with him and Brick during their careers. we would have been a better team if we kept John Abraham instead of trading him for Mangod. 

so Linderbaum will go to many PBs and be a hit. on a mostly 4-win team because we keep using high draft picks on the OL. there is only one premium spot and its LT. but we already used another one on LG. and now you want a 3rd to be used on the Center.

drafting a Edge or any Premium position who plays good but never goes to a PB is worth more to us than a Center who goes to 10 PBs. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

They will if it turns out you passed on a TJ / JJ Watt or a Darelle Revis (etc) to draft him. Not saying that there are sure fire guys at those positions, but IMHO the whole "weak draft" narrative is a bit overblown. As with every year there will be guys drafted in the bottom half of Round 1 - and beyond - who have better years than the guys drafted top 10. We drafted Adams at #6 ... TJ Watt went 30th that same year. (There were also a few decent QBs taken after Adams too ;-)). 

JD's mission this year is to work out who those underrated guys are and make sure we get them - whether or not it's seen as "over drafting" initially. If we'd taken Watt at #6 and he worked out as he did in Pitt, would he have been over drafted?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barton said:

A safety who doesnt intercept the ball much and a center.....

Think about that....

If Douglas does that with 2 top 10 picks, then he needs to be fired. 

This epitomizes the mccagnan draft philosophy.  At least douglas has taken the right positions in the right rounds so far.  

I think the challenge at #4 will be, they can’t trade out, ekongwu goes first, then hutch and thibs, and the jets won’t take neal.  Then what do they do?  Hamilton may well be the highest rated player on some boards, but i doubt douglas traded adams to get another first rounder to take another safety.  At that point it could be cross, or the next highest rated pass rusher.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This epitomizes the mccagnan draft philosophy.  At least douglas has taken the right positions in the right rounds so far.  

I think the challenge at #4 will be, they can’t trade out, ekongwu goes first, then hutch and thibs, and the jets won’t take neal.  Then what do they do?  Hamilton may well be the highest rated player on some boards, but i doubt douglas traded adams to get another first rounder to take another safety.  At that point it could be cross, or the next highest rated pass rusher.

Jets should consider trading up for Hutch, if they feel like he's a 12 sack a year kinda guy. Maybe the Lions dont want to pass on him though, so who knows.

Jets could always consider "reaching" for the top WR on their board at take him at #4. And yes, maybe Neal, who can play RT too.