NY Jets OT Mekhi Becton acknowledges critics on social media

Bronx

23 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I agree, but perception is often reality. The first time I heard the term was from the COO of my former company. You could bust your tail all day, but if the client catches you taking a breather, the perception is that you have been slacking all day. The message from the COO was to never give the client the impression that you are taking your foot off the gas. He was big on optics. It's not fair, but such is life. 

As far as Becton is concerned, his optics have not been good for various reasons. 

This might be the worst argument I’ve seen about this situation: a COO basically scaring his employees into corporate slavery as an excuse for bullying. It’s about two steps removed from “Did you see what she was wearing? She was practically asking for it.” 

Optics, baby. Optics.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, the Claw said:

So, the ol’ “the beatings will continue until morale improves” argument. 

No argument at all. It’s not funny lace as fans ti motivate him, it’s his abs the people who surround him. It’s our place to be like WTF is wrong with this dude? 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, the Claw said:

This might be the worst argument I’ve seen about this situation: a COO basically scaring his employees into corporate slavery as an excuse for bullying. It’s about two steps removed from “Did you see what she was wearing? She was practically asking for it.” 

Optics, baby. Optics.

I'm going to ignore this because it might be the dumbest thing anyone has ever typed out on JN. Way too easy to tear this apart. Move on. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

No argument at all. It’s not funny lace as fans ti motivate him, it’s his abs the people who surround him. It’s our place to be like WTF is wrong with this dude? 

I disagree and should probably just leave it at that, to be honest, but c’mon man. It’s not our place to motivate him, yet it’s our place to tear him down? Are you serious? No wonder this team is constantly in the gutter. 

6 minutes ago, the Claw said:

I disagree and should probably just leave it at that, to be honest, but c’mon man. It’s not our place to motivate him, yet it’s our place to tear him down? Are you serious? No wonder this team is constantly in the gutter. 

I guess this is the part where I struggle to see it has anything to do with us. We drafted him to play football, he hasn’t played a significant amount since his rookie year. Last thing we saw from him he was getting rag dolled in training camp on the reg. Then he got hurt, not his fault, but 6-8 weeks turned into the season and that rehab video Looks like it’s 2-3 weeks of rehab. Sorry, but we drafted him to play football, if he doesn’t then I feel comfortable with being not ok with it. If that makes it harder fir him to get back? Holy hell 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

It's about optics. When you are a high-profile athlete like Becton and you haven't played a snap of football since week one, it doesn't look good when you are talking about video games.  

Lots of football players play Video games.  It’s not about optics that are based on anything.  No one works out 24/7.  This entirely blown out of proportion to the grand scheme of what kind of career he’ll have

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think some people forget how good Becton was his rookie year 

That's because he wasn't that good. 

He surely had some moments showing he could be special - but he also got beat a lot, was out a few games and far too often missed snaps with in-game injuries.

He was a middle of the road LT (which isn't bad for a rookie) that flashed massive potential.  But flashing isn't enough.  

I surely hope he comes back strong, can stay healthy and takes that second year leap - and live up the potential - but I'm not holding my breath.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's because he wasn't that good. 

He surely had some moments showing he could be special - but he also got beat a lot, was out a few games and far too often missed snaps with in-game injuries.

He was a middle of the road LT (which isn't bad for a rookie) that flashed massive potential.  But flashing isn't enough.  

I surely hope he comes back strong, can stay healthy and takes that second year leap - and live up the potential - but I'm not holding my breath.

I wouldn't say he was middle of the road, so much as he was mostly outstanding, sprinkled with a few games of 21 year-old rookie 'welcome to the majors, Mr. Hobbs' in between them.

He wasn't a steady middle-of-the-road rookie at all. He showed more games looking special than otherwise. 

Last year? Discouraging is a kind way of putting it, but he didn't lose his ability at age 22. 

• Upvote 2

He was a monster the first half of his rookie year.

Then he started reading press clippings and had a poor second half getting beat quite a bit with the pass rush. 

If he commits 100%, nothing can stop him.  If he commits 90%, he'll be a solid starter.  If he doesn't commit, he'll eat himself out of the league.

It's on him and only him. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Bronx said:

Perception is not always reality.  Kinda like the heavy set guy showing to a basketball court and then starts torching 3's.  You get what I am saying...

Screw anyone else's opinion. 

ironically, where I come from, this phrase is used to describe furiously licking a bunghole.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Lots of football players play Video games.  It’s not about optics that are based on anything.  No one works out 24/7.  This entirely blown out of proportion to the grand scheme of what kind of career he’ll have

If it comes between your opinion and the opinion of coach Saleh, I think I'll trust Saleh's WAY before I even entertain yours. The optics are based on many things, and they all look bad. Never claimed anyone worked out 24/7, so there is that. This is not being blown out of proportion, so there is always that too. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If it comes between your opinion and the opinion of coach Saleh, I think I'll trust Saleh's WAY before I even entertain yours. The optics are based on many things, and they all look bad. Never claimed anyone worked out 24/7, so there is that. This is not being blown out of proportion, so there is always that too. 

You have a quote from coach Saleh that says Becton shouldn't play video games under and circumstance?  

And yes, fans complaining that a player who admits to playing video games makes for bad optics is blowing something that is absolutely nothing out of proportion.  Especially if playing an hour or two of video games after working all day instead of of watching TV is viewed as some kind of indication of what kind of career a player will have.   

As I said lots of athletes play video games.  Some even play in tournaments.  Its a different world, 20+ years olds entertain themselves differently 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You have a quote from coach Saleh that says Becton shouldn't play video games under and circumstance?  

And yes, fans complaining that a player who admits to playing video games makes for bad optics is blowing something that is absolutely nothing out of proportion.  Especially if playing an hour or two of video games after working all day instead of of watching TV is viewed as some kind of indication of what kind of career a player will have.   

As I said lots of athletes play video games.  Some even play in tournaments.  Its a different world, 20+ years olds entertain themselves differently 

Are you going to ask strawman questions?

7 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Are you going to ask strawman questions?

You said youre going to take Saleh's opinion over mine.  So where did Saleh disagree with me that 20 somethings after training all day cant play video games.

You want to turn a pretty simple comment into a strawman question, go for it.  I dont do this shlt anymore

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You said your going to take Saleh's opinion over mine.  So where did Saleh disagree with me that 20 somethings after training all day cant play video games.

You want to turn a pretty simple comment into a strawman question, go for it.  I dont do this shlt anymore

Don’t even bother, man. We’re dealing with dudes who take life advice from COO’s who basically just scare them into working all the time. They’ve made up their minds and prefer bullying people half their age based on tweets. Because “optics.” 

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You said youre going to take Saleh's opinion over mine.  So where did Saleh disagree with me that 20 somethings after training all day cant play video games.

Can you direct me to where I said that Becton shouldn't play video games, or that he played video games all day?

11 hours ago, the Claw said:

Don’t even bother, man. We’re dealing with dudes who take life advice from COO’s who basically just scare them into working all the time. They’ve made up their minds and prefer bullying people half their age based on tweets. Because “optics.” 

You sure got pretty triggered over my comment. Did I hit a nerve?

Changing gears back to the topic, what's at least encouraging is that he realizes everyone thinks he's been slacking. Saleh's comments in the winter, and now he presumably sees fans aren't all slobbering over his missing the season either (nor his slow start to the offseason before that).

It's not the end-all, but it's something, that he felt the need to show that he's working in the gym (criticism of that video clip content notwithstanding). 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Can you direct me to where I said that Becton shouldn't play video games, or that he played video games all day?

You mean where you said it was a bad optic?

So I disagreed and then you said you were going with Saleh's opinion. Have no idea why youre making this into more than it is.  I wasnt arguing, its just I have three sons, 25-28 year olds, they game more than they watch TV or movies.  As I said, its a different world.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean where you said it was a bad optic?

So I disagreed and then you said you were going with Saleh's opinion. Have no idea why youre making this into more than it is.  

Yes, I did say that the optics are bad, and I stand by that. You don't think that the optics are bad, so that leaves us at an impasse. I say we call it a stalemate and move on to more interesting topics.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Yes, I did say that the optics are bad, and I stand by that. You don't think that the optics are bad, so that leaves us at an impasse. I say we call it a stalemate and move on to more interesting topics.

Agree totally, wasnt looking for an arguments, just pointing out times are a changing

• Upvote 1