NY Jets OT Mekhi Becton acknowledges critics on social media

Bronx

i don't think the talk about trading becton or drafting another tackle is unrealistic.  the jets are not in the position to have any player untradeable or set in their position except , maybe wilson avt and moore.  everyone else is on the table.  with regard to becton, is it reasonable to trade him?  i don't think so.  he showed a lot of good things in 2020 and while a lot of people poo-poo his injury, we don't know the true extent.  just because saleh said he would be back in 6-8 weeks doesn't mean much, he's not a doctor.  becton was out the whole year.

i think he'll be back strong.  i also think that he has a lot more fire in his belly than it looks.

14 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's not that he got injured, it's that he got injured week 1,  was supposed to be out 4-8 weeks but instead missed 16 weeks. Sorry, that's troubling. There were also rumblings about his weight which the Jets never refuted. 

Hopefully, he is using all this negativity to motivate himself to be a better player, which includes working your butt off to return from an injury. 

Thanks for the response. Just not equating why the length of the injury should matter after it's first prediction. What is the saying "stuff happens?" He was predicted top come back after 6 weeks and there were complications. I dont know but would imagine that the Jets monitored the situation on some level. Was he cleared to come back and refused? Well that would be a much different situation. He is a 375 pound person who obviously has no trouble gaining weight and the was immobile because of injury. He is also 22, could have handled this better, but at the very least is showing signs he cares. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and also feel he took too much criticism for this. The lack of support (verbally) from his coaches were alarming I have to admit. They would know best being closest to the situation. 

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Ripping the kid isn’t going to help but he’s a prime candidate for someone who should temporarily delete all social media and just focus on football. It’s a total distraction it seems. 

Yes, social media is awful however it doesnt seem to be going away anytime soon. I am the father of a 22 and 20 year old and it is much more a part of their world than mine. Much easier for me to think of giving it up than a young adult. But I agree, he should shut it down

7 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Yes, I was, it definitely factors in 

Yeah, that’s the part I can’t get past. Rest of it I get. Really do hope the kid is able to come back and perform for us. Just can’t seem to get past anything more than just hope. Hopefully we get some future vids in his training that show him progressing. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

He's not knocking Duke. He is knocking Becton being out of shape.

image.png.a18c7cbc54c17cae54fd2b6b3adb79c5.png

What part of his workout was it ?  First 5 minutes or last ?

haters gonna hate 

I bet he does chest and bi’s  on the sane day

loser

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's not that he got injured, it's that he got injured week 1,  was supposed to be out 4-8 weeks but instead missed 16 weeks. Sorry, that's troubling. 

I knew a guy who was injured in a car accident. The doctors said he should eventually recover. Then he died. What a pussy!

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Jets fans dumping on Becton for an entire year is gross and frankly, embarrassing. Going on twitter and taking shots at the guy is classless and weak sauce. These guys are human. The fact that they play for your favorite football team doesn't give you a free pass to go on the internet and be a complete douche.

If you're one of these guys I hope he finds you in a dark parking lot and pancakes your ass.

Nothing but a bunch of bully know-it-alls who, I’m sure, are all in training for mr universe as we speak and had everything figured out at 22 years old. Why are these guys posting on a Jets forum when they could still just be doing their jobs?? Where’s the commitment? I know I would be soooo much different if I was his age. 

Pathetic. 

14 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Becton just got hurt last year… I admit his social media emphasis on gaming can be a little off putting but he had a strong rookie year then got hurt the next. The hate and trade winds seem a little overboard 

Yes players shouldn't have other hobbies how dare he play video games 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yes, but one on one Carl Lawson grinded his dick in the dirt on the daily, 

Personally I think the quick twitch guys like Lawson are always going to be a challenge for the bigger linemen. He needs to get better, for sure, but do you really think mocking and belittling him is going to help in any way? C’mon Crush, you’re better than this, man.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Bronx said:

NY Jets OT Mekhi Becton acknowledges critics on social media

New York Jets offensive tackle Mekhi Becton is aware of the criticism surrounding him as he enters a crucial third season.

Mekhi Becton knows about the narratives surrounding him

It’s safe to say that New York Jets offensive tackle Mekhi Becton went through the wringer in his second NFL season. While he wasn’t beat by opposing defensive ends, he instead suffered a brutal knee injury that knocked him out for the season in Week 1.

Throughout his absence, the Jets’ beat and other media reported Becton wasn’t exactly committed to his rehab and getting back on the field. Whether he was labeled “overweight”, “lazy”, or as someone with a “bad work ethic”, fans and media were sure to lay all of the criticisms out there.

The 22-year-old offensive lineman seems to be well aware of the narratives surrounding him in the public eye.

On Tuesday, Becton reposted an Instagram graphic by CBS Sports titled “Critical Moves Each Team Should Make”. Put together by NFL reporter Jason La Canfora, the “critical move” for the Jets involved a worst-case scenario with their star left tackle.This scrutiny is nothing new for Becton, who has been under fire over his injury since midseason in 2021. What was projected to be a six-to-eight-week injury ended up wiping him out for the rest of the season.

To make the situation even more complicated, the Jets’ right tackle, George Fant, put together an elite season filling in for Becton on the left side. As discussed previously here, Fant made it known in 2021 that he is capable of being a great left tackle in this league.

Fant’s great work, combined with Becton missing lots of time, paved the way for head coach Robert Saleh to announce an open competition for the left tackle spot when speaking to the media at the Senior Bowl.

With everything that’s come out about Becton over the past year, it is clear that he hears the noise.

We saw before the 2021 season that Becton was in incredible shape and ready to dominate after a strong rookie campaign. Becton allowed 23 pressures over 690 offensive snaps in 2020, providing solid pass protection for whoever was under center. The run game was where he especially shined, consistently paving over defenders and making lanes to earn the nickname “Highway 77”.

Fans are restless and the pressure is on for Becton. We’ve seen how dominant he can be. If he can return to impeccable shape like a year ago and dominate in camp, there is no doubt that the former 11th overall pick will not only win the fans back but win the privilege to keep quarterback Zach Wilson safe from the blindside on Sundays.

Screenshot_20220301-172825_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220301-172807_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220301-172844_Chrome.jpg

someone wrote an article about the fact that he responded to a troll? the depths of modern day "journalism" never cease to amaze me.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The 'In shape, out of shape' thing is overblown.

The can't stay on the field and poor performance in camp last year are not overblown.

Well, I think they go hand in hand.  You don't have one without the other.  Thought process being:

• Came into camp out of shape and that translated to his poor play
  • After the injury he didn't rehab properly and gained too much weight, therefor didn't get back into NFL shape and failed to get back on the field.

I'm not even saying this is what happened but it is the narrative..

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Jets fans dumping on Becton for an entire year is gross and frankly, embarrassing. Going on twitter and taking shots at the guy is classless and weak sauce. These guys are human. The fact that they play for your favorite football team doesn't give you a free pass to go on the internet and be a complete douche.

If you're one of these guys I hope he finds you in a dark parking lot and pancakes your ass.

I agree with this. I'm as critical as anybody on here of Big Raincheck. But thats here, griping amongst a bunch of Jets fans. To try to undermine the kid in a twitter spat is just unproductive and cruel. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

That was my impression too. That is not at all the type of intensity that I would expect from a player who needs to explode off the line.

I am a Becton supporter, and I am rooting for the kid. I want him to shut everybody the F up, but I am not seeing it. 

Out of all the impressive videos you can choose to post that is not the one I would post either. That's the type of exercise you see the old farts in the gym doing. At least he is doing something and doesn't look like he is on the Zion Williamson diet. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Personally I think the quick twitch guys like Lawson are always going to be a challenge for the bigger linemen. He needs to get better, for sure, but do you really think mocking and belittling him is going to help in any way? C’mon Crush, you’re better than this, man.

No it’s not going to help but if he starts to make progress and shows he’s ready to go I bet it slows down and stops. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Out of all the impressive videos you can choose to post that is not the one I would post either. That's the type of exercise you see the old farts in the gym doing. At least he is doing something and doesn't look like he is on the Zion Williamson diet. 

When I saw the Becton video, I immediately thought of former UFC heavyweight champion, Tim Sylvia's workout. It was supposed to show how "ready" he was for his comeback fight. Needless to say, it was a sh!tshow. 

Timsylvia - YouTube

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

It's about optics. When you are a high-profile athlete like Becton and you haven't played a snap of football since week one, it doesn't look good when you are talking about video games.  

Perception is not always reality.  Kinda like the heavy set guy showing to a basketball court and then starts torching 3's.  You get what I am saying...

Screw anyone else's opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Perception is not always reality.  Kinda like the heavy set guy showing to a basketball court and then starts torching 3's.  You get what I am saying...

Screw anyone else's opinion. 

I agree, but perception is often reality. The first time I heard the term was from the COO of my former company. You could bust your tail all day, but if the client catches you taking a breather, the perception is that you have been slacking all day. The message from the COO was to never give the client the impression that you are taking your foot off the gas. He was big on optics. It's not fair, but such is life. 

As far as Becton is concerned, his optics have not been good for various reasons. 

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Ripping the kid isn’t going to help but he’s a prime candidate for someone who should temporarily delete all social media and just focus on football. It’s a total distraction it seems. 

Good to see he’s on a twitter storm this morning lol. Good grief.