Jump to content

Giants release TE Kyle Rudolph


kevinc855
 Share

Recommended Posts

In other TE news: 

 

The Bills are interested in adding Gronkowski as a free agent, Tim Graham of The Athletic reports (subscription required). Buffalo discussed a deal with Gronk last year, but the future Hall of Famer opted to rejoin Brady in Tampa for the Bucs’ title-defense season.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2022 at 5:19 PM, kevinc855 said:

They're not "screwing Daboll." Everyone involved (and anyone who has been paying attention to the Giants) knew this was what they were going to do.

They're in a nightmare cap situation and are in total teardown/rebuild mode.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

They're not "screwing Daboll." Everyone involved (and anyone who has been paying attention to the Giants) knew this was what they were going to do.

They're in a nightmare cap situation and are in total teardown/rebuild mode.

Exactly. I highly doubt Daboll took the job on the hopes the Giants keep the same crappy players that lead the team to 4/5 win seasons the last half decade.

If I am Daboll, I want no part of Rudolph/Jones/Saquon/Golladay/Engram. All thatyou  have with those players is an inflated sense of value and expectation. Tear it all down and rebuild from scratch like the Jets did. It can take time, but no one will expect wins in year 1. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. I highly doubt Daboll took the job on the hopes the Giants keep the same crappy players that lead the team to 4/5 win seasons the last half decade.

If I am Daboll, I want no part of Rudolph/Jones/Saquon/Golladay/Engram. All thatyou  have with those players is an inflated sense of value and expectation. Tear it all down and rebuild from scratch like the Jets did. It can take time, but no one will expect wins in year 1. 

Yep.

And the "commitment" to Jones is largely lip service. If this QB class didn't suck I think they might be moving on already.

They're gonna treat 2022 like the Jets treated 2021 -- evaluation year while they install their program and shed contracts.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yep.

And the "commitment" to Jones is largely lip service. If this QB class didn't suck I think they might be moving on already.

They're gonna treat 2022 like the Jets treated 2021 -- evaluation year while they install their program and shed contracts.

They are definitely blowing smoke with their Jones talk. Even for a weak QB class, there are a few guys worth a shot in the late 1st, 2nd. I could definitely see them taking a QB around that range who could use time to develop. Jones is effectively their stop gap. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yep.

And the "commitment" to Jones is largely lip service. If this QB class didn't suck I think they might be moving on already.

They're gonna treat 2022 like the Jets treated 2021 -- evaluation year while they install their program and shed contracts.

If that's the case, and you very well be right, then wouldn't that mean saying so long to Jones like we did with Sam? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

If that's the case, and you very well be right, then wouldn't that mean saying so long to Jones like we did with Sam? 

Yes, as I mentioned in the sentence immediately before the one you bolded, lol.

If your point is why not trade him I'm assuming because he doesn't have very strong value and they have no viable QB on the roster -- we saw what happened when he was injured last year.

His salary is fully guaranteed, so unless they get a decent offer they might as well play him. If he blows up they can franchise him and figure it out but the fact that they aren't picking up his option tells you what you need to know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yes, as I mentioned in the sentence immediately before the one you bolded, lol.

If your point is why not trade him I'm assuming because he doesn't have very strong value and they have no viable QB on the roster -- we saw what happened when he was injured last year.

His salary is fully guaranteed, so unless they get a decent offer they might as well play him. If he blows up they can franchise him and figure it out but the fact that they aren't picking up his option tells you what you need to know.

Denver may be willing to bite. Read on Pauline's site yesterday that Denver is basically desperate to address the QB situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Denver may be willing to bite. Read on Pauline's site yesterday that Denver is basically desperate to address the QB situation. 

I believe that but I think they want to address with a better option. How much better is Jones than Drew Lock?

Darnold's perceived pre-draft value helped us in getting comp for him -- there was a perception that there was talent there we had squandered waiting to be unlocked. That doesn't exist with Jones who felt like a reach in 2019 when he was drafted.

I'm sure if the Giants could get what we got for Darnold they'd ship him out ASAP though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2022 at 6:13 PM, Jetlife33 said:

In other TE news: 

 

The Bills are interested in adding Gronkowski as a free agent, Tim Graham of The Athletic reports (subscription required). Buffalo discussed a deal with Gronk last year, but the future Hall of Famer opted to rejoin Brady in Tampa for the Bucs’ title-defense season.

 

Hometown kid. Sure they try but don’t  see him doing it with his Boo Brady. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I believe that but I think they want to address with a better option. How much better is Jones than Drew Lock?

Darnold's perceived pre-draft value helped us in getting comp for him -- there was a perception that there was talent there we had squandered waiting to be unlocked. That doesn't exist with Jones who felt like a reach in 2019 when he was drafted.

I'm sure if the Giants could get what we got for Darnold they'd ship him out ASAP though. 

I think tons better. I believe Jones is totally salvageable in another spot.. I agree, Denver offered a 2nd, Dabol and Scheon would drive to Denver, not just the airport. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2022 at 6:04 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

If he comes cheap, not a bad 1 year signing to mentor McBride.  I think the days of Rudolph being a TE1 are over.

Jesus H.

Now we need mentors at TE?

Do you guys not realize there are dozens of coordinators and position coaches?

The idea of rostering a bunch of mentors at almost every position group is ******* absurd. Like… ffs already.

If you sign Rudolph, it’s so typical don’t have to take a TE in the first 2 rounds. Not so the TE you do take in the first 2 rounds has a babysitter.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...