Site Upgrade Happening COMPLETE

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

@Maxman love seeing the new update! Can't wait to play with all the features!

The anonymous posting is probably a good idea to keep in a designated area to prevent "anonymous inside source" stuff from "insiders" we don't know of haha. I definitely value seeing who is posting so I know how serious to take the post based on the interactions I've had in the past.

Excited for the new app, I'm Definitely one who prefers the web browser right now but I generally feel that way about most websites haha

Keep up the great work!!

Oh wow we could do some damage with that. An insider tip forum. Scary but some of the posts would be gold.  :)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It would be cool if the achievements/badges could be given as an NFT. I have a little experience in that area if you ever wanted to look into something like that. Maybe too soon though. It would be worth it just to watch @The Crusher explode with frustration in trying to understand wtf that means.

Anything else you think would could make into an NFT here? Just top awards or all of them? Really cool idea actually.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Anything else you think would could make into an NFT here? Just top awards or all of them? Really cool idea actually.

I sent you a PM w/a couple of ideas. I think it would be really cool to have a chance to "win" some custom JN Jets art for different achievements or awards or whatever. It would mean finding an artist to do the work though.

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, More Cowbell said:

Hey Max,

One thing I would like to see integrated and I think I mentioned this before, the functionality of the last message read feature. Right now I have to click the link at the top of the thread to move to the last message read but there are message boards that I browse where as soon as I open the thread, if I viewed it before, it takes me to the last message read. That would be preferred by me. 

This got me thinking, there are a ton of features that nobody knows about. We are going to do a short video after the upgrade highlighting how things work.

Thanks!

On 3/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, More Cowbell said:

Hey Max,

One thing I would like to see integrated and I think I mentioned this before, the functionality of the last message read feature. Right now I have to click the link at the top of the thread to move to the last message read but there are message boards that I browse where as soon as I open the thread, if I viewed it before, it takes me to the last message read. That would be preferred by me. 

On 3/3/2022 at 9:04 AM, slats said:

It should do that. Are you clicking on the thread title? If so, don’t do that and click on the talk bubble to the left with the “…” in it. It’s imperfect, but that should bring you to the first unread post. 

I never knew this either.  This is actually useful.  It kind of raises the issue that instead of adding all these new "bells and whistles", how about making the core stuff more logical to use?  How about clicking on the title of a post does this instead of a small icon that I never even noticed (or maybe did but ignored it)?

That would improve user experience far more than badges and tweets.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

This got me thinking, there are a ton of features that nobody knows about. We are going to do a short video after the upgrade highlighting how things work.

Thanks!

If things are not intuitive then they'll likely not get used.  I mentioned in the post above that at least 2 users (Cowbell and I) didn't realize that you could click the icon to the left of a post heading and jump to "last read message".  Feels like that should be the default behavior.  

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thanks!

Hey Max, 

I think a thread might  be better. You can keep it locked and just add the features of the message board to it. Threads are searchable so it might be prefered, or do both. 

On 3/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, More Cowbell said:

Yes, that works. I never knew that does that. You might want to start a message board tips and tricks thread and pin it. 

We could use one of these in the mod lounge, too, @Maxman. There must be a few more ways to ban these people. 

JetNation Presents: NY Jets Video

We are taking the forums offline in a few minutes for an upgrade.  We anticipate that the forums will be back online within the hour.

Please use this time to make sure you are following JetNation on social media, or get some sleep whichever you prefer!  Here are some notes on what the new upgrade offers, and if you aren’t a member of our forums, please click the Forum link and register.  When we are back online of course.

Thank you!

There is a new release of IPB. The look and feel will be the same but there are a bunch of new features that they added. Not sure what we will implement out of this just yet but here are some of the new user-facing options:

Achievements
Achievements, badges, ranks, rules, gamification, whatever you want to call it, this is the most significant feature for Invision Community 4.6.0. This brings a whole new level of earning and showing trust to other members while gently nudging more quality contributions to your community.

Zapier Integration

This is more behind the scenes but it opens up a world of automation for us. The mod team can now get custom alerts based on things that happen on the site. We can take hot topics that get a certain # of posts and tweet them out or post them on Facebook automatically.

Web app and push notifications

There is a new mobile app through IPB. Which is good news because Tapatalk is charging us every month, and their mobile app is terrible. And it looks like only 20 people are actively using it at this point.  For this new app and push notifications there is some technical info in this link. Anyone that wants to share thoughts and feedback I am all ears:  https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community/web-push-notifications-native-sharing-offline-support-r1222/

Anonymous posting

Um, this one is going to be a no for us. We could have some fun with it and maybe there would be a need for it in the Mafia Forum or something like that. Otherwise I don’t see us using this.

When enabled, members will see the option to post anonymously when creating or replying to content.

Author details for anonymously posted content is hidden throughout the community and instead a default profile picture and name is shown.

Total anonymity is not always desirable however and in some cases it may be necessary for trusted staff members to know who posted the content. Where allowed, these staff members will be shown an option to reveal the content author.

Anonymous posting can be enabled on a per group basis and also limited to specific forums, albums and categories etc. The ability for staff members to reveal who really posted the content is a moderator permission.

We hope this new feature is a useful addition and where appropriate makes your members feel safe or comfortable to share info they might not have otherwise.

Solved content
In Invision Community 4.6.0, we have rounded out our “solved” feature by allowing the feature to be enabled on a regular forum, along with notifications, statistics and more.

Show when a team member has replied
When you’re scanning a list of topics, it’s helpful to know when a community team member has replied, as these replies tend to have more authority and are more likely to resolve an issue. 4.6.0 adds a feature to show when a member of the team has replied.

There are other new features on the back end like a health dashboard and improved spam checking which will hopefully make moderating easier.

I think I should have some time this weekend to run the upgrade. It will require a little downtime but shouldn’t be too long.

Thanks!

The post Forum Upgrade appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

The site is back online.  There are tasks running in the background and that will take hours. It is going to populate images, a bunch of database stuff including reputation points. Going to try out their new system and do a fresh calculation. I know everyone has been complaining for a long time about the rogue mod that gave away millions of unearned rep points back in the day. He won't be names @BP but we are going to try out the new system.

If you see any bugs or issues please post in this thread. Like I said things are still updating so some stuff will be off but we will get it all sorted out, thanks.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I got 7 badges. Feeling kind of cool right now.

denzel washington GIF

3 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Why do I only have 3 badges? Can I buy some? Money can buy anything, including love!

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Oh the badges are just flying on to my profile now....Booo ya!

Going to have to mess around with that. IPB says they have a lot of people requesting this new system. So we will try it out. Right now it is going through and indexing everything. I have to read up on it a bit more but when it is done indexing we can see if it is worth keeping.

So it looks like the badges and reputation are different. Was just reading about them. Seems like two different things, but I will know for sure when the reindex is done.

We are definitely doing a video for end users. There are a lot of features in here, good stuff.