Schefter: Cowboys Likey to Release Amari Cooper

Lith

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

How anyone is against Cooper is beyond me.

No, he’s not Davante Adams or Jamar Chase or Cooper Kupp, but he’s a legit #1 WR and one of the best pure route runners in the league. He’ll also have just turned 28 by the time the season starts.

Cooper, Davis and Moore is a damn solid trio for Zach.

Upgrade at TE and continue to solidify the OL and the Jets could field a competent offense for the foreseeable future.

No one is "Against" Cooper, merely against paying him 20 million a year for X years as he nears 30. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Feels like dropping $40+ mil per year on a receiving corps of Corey Davis, Amari Cooper, and Braxton Berrios is a poor use of cap dollars. 

They have the cap space and this is Davis’ last year anyway. He can be cut after 2022

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Amari Cooper was a disappointment in Oakland and sent packing.  Amari Cooper was a disappointment in Dallas and is now getting sent packing again.  Joe Douglas will have 0 interest in this type of player.

Garrett Wilson is a total stud and will be better then Cooper ever was.

Personally, I'd argue it's not an either/or scenario. If you want to emulate Cincinnati (did I really say that?!?), Amari-Wilson-Moore-Davis is a nice start. Just draft a guard and a TE and you're worlds better on that side of the ball. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

Trade a 5th for Amari, and grab another WR on Day 2. See if he'll restructure, if not no biggie. His dead cap hit is minimal in 2023 and 2024 if he doesn't pan out. He's a reliable target for Zach, and allows the rookie time to develop. Win win.

its going to take more that a 5th to trade for him.

if Jamal Adams got two 1st rd picks he can definitely get at least one

7 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Personally, I'd argue it's not an either/or scenario. If you want to emulate Cincinnati (did I really say that?!?), Amari-Wilson-Moore-Davis is a nice start. Just draft a guard and a TE and you're worlds better on that side of the ball. 

Cinci got rid of AJ Green and drafted Higgins/Chase/Boyd. Going out and spending big money on Amari is not emulating how Cinci built their team. 

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And people here are trying to throw 20 million at this guy because they recognize his name. He has never had an elite season and the Cowboys seem more interested in giving Gallup, who just tore his acl, a long term deal. 

9 guys had 1200 yard seasons this year and last year. Cooper has never had a 1200 yard season and he's played with Dak and Derek Carr who routinely throws for 4k yards a year. 

Would he make our WR group better? Absolutely. Enough to give him a deal in the 20 million range? No. 

you my friend understand exactly what im talking about.  Joe Douglas would not spend 1 second even thinking about Amari Cooper.

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’m more than fine with trading a mid-round pick and taking on Cooper’s contract. He doesn’t even have any guaranteed money left.

First off, why are we trading a draft pick for a player the Cowboys are going to release? 

Second, what makes you think he doesn't have guaranteed money left? Pretty sure the remaining 3 years of his contract (at a whopping 22 million a year) becomes guaranteed if he isn't cut by March 20th. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/amari-cooper-16728/

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets have to spend the money somewhere and it’s not like free agents are flocking to sign here.

I’m more than fine with trading a mid-round pick and taking on Cooper’s contract. He doesn’t even have any guaranteed money left.

He’s smack dab in the prime of his career and is a sensational route runner. Few things help a young QB more than receivers who know where they’re supposed to be.

Say the Jets make a move for Cooper, add a guy like Justin Reid as their big fish in FA and then walk away from the first two rounds with something like this:

#4: Thibodeaux

#10: Gardner

#35: Zion Johnson 

#38: McBride

Who in their right mind wouldn’t be thrilled with that? It’s also well within the realm of possibility and not some far fetched pipedream.

Yeah I like this plan. Swap ekwonu in at 4 if thib is gone and draft an edge or LB at 35.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, doitny said:

its going to take more that a 5th to trade for him.

if Jamal Adams got two 1st rd picks he can definitely get at least one

The thread is based on the idea that he’s getting cut.  With no return.  If true, they’re not getting more than a 5th never mind a 1st

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

First off, why are we trading a draft pick for a player the Cowboys are going to release? 

Second, what makes you think he doesn't have guaranteed money left? Pretty sure the remaining 3 years of his contract (at a whopping 22 million a year) becomes guaranteed if he isn't cut by March 20th. 

The signing bonus has already been paid. That’s why the Cowboys have a dead cap hit if cut/traded. If the Jets trade for him, we would only be on hook for $20m per year. Only his 2022 salary is guaranteed on 3/20 not his entire remaining contract.

• Upvote 1

Everyone talks about FAs.  Or that JD doesn’t get the big fish.  Talk about needing to help ZW.
Then when there’s an opportunity to get a player like Cooper they don’t want to spend $20M?  Because of a dream that a rookie will be better?  In year 1?  Over a 27 year old with 5 1,000 yard seasons?  A 700+ and 800+ yard season?  Don’t like the player or he’s not a fit you pass.  But not because we want the Jets to spend 1990 money on our roster 

Dont sign Cooper.  Don’t sign Berrios.  Don’t sign Q.  

• Upvote 3

He's good but not great. He's not worth his contract on the open market based on his production to date. OTOH the Jets can afford to overpay and would benefit from bringing him in at least in the short term. Bad teams are only FA targets if the player wants to be paid a premium more than he wants to play in January. Cooper might want the money enough to come to NY to get it. I wouldn't be upset if he becomes a Jet but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen, either. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

He's good but not great. He's not worth his contract on the open market based on his production to date. OTOH the Jets can afford to overpay and would benefit from bringing him in at least in the short term. Bad teams are only FA targets if the player wants to be paid a premium more than he wants to play in January. Cooper might want the money enough to come to NY to get it. I wouldn't be upset if he becomes a Jet but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen, either. 

5 1,000 yard seasons with 2 more close behind is a lot better than good 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, derp said:

Agree he'd be a great fit. I guess this is where back channel conversations about how they can acquire someone would be helpful. That contract is bad but reasonably short, controlled, and he's one of the best fits who's potentially on the table.

It's probably a no go but there have to be conversations about whether it's worth making the Cowboys say no to one of the fifth rounders this year or a late 2023 selection to lock him up. Would obviously eat up some room but would be a big piece to have heading into FA. Easy call if they could restructure the deal too.

If he hits FA the Jets should obviously get involved.

He's currently signed at 3yrs, 60M (level 20M salaries each year). If you'd do that deal with him on the open market, you absolutely offer the Cowboys a 2023 6th for him. If he gets released, that tells you his market will be below 20M per, because none of the interested teams were willing to take him at that price

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets have to spend the money somewhere and it’s not like free agents are flocking to sign here.

He’s smack dab in the prime of his career and is a sensational route runner. Few things help a young QB more than receivers who know where they’re supposed to be.

Say the Jets make a move for Cooper, add a guy like Justin Reid as their big fish in FA and then walk away from the first two rounds with something like this:

Who in their right mind wouldn’t be thrilled with that? It’s also well within the realm of possibility and not some far fetched pipedream.

This, although his 2022 salary (20M) becomes guaranteed if he's on your roster by the 5th day of the league year.

Which is fine, because if you're trading for him you aren't cutting him this year anyway. After that, you essentially have him on two 1-year options at 20M per through his age-30 season, which actually makes it an ideal predicate to negotiate an extension after this season. Bottom line, this is a no-brainer for the Jets unless their valuation on him is WAY lower than 20M.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You realize they are going to release Amari? And if they traded him, they would be lucky to get a 6th rounder thanks to his contract. 

i was commenting on someone who said trade a 5th for him.

the best players in the league all have big contracts. do they get traded for 6th rd picks because of their contracts.?

there is going to be a "win now" team out there who won't care about their late 1st or 2nd rd pick to make the trade.

he is one of the top WRs in the league. he isnt Denzel Mims who some on this board think you could trade for a 3rd rd pick. 

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Also, if they are going to release him, if I’m JD I’d see if any sort of mid-late round pick would secure him rather than risk bidding in an open market.

I think the issue would be that we are trading for his contract as well. Not sure what his contract looks like, but I think someone threw out 20 mill which seems steep. If the contract is reasonable I agree and would trade a pick = to or < than a 5th. If the contract was favorable I'd go with a 4th if needed.

51 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we really want him, at his current contract, trading a late round pick guarantees that.  Rather than getting into a bidding war or letting him go where he wants, which may very well not be the Jets :)

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

There'd be worse outcomes, for sure!

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

This, although his 2022 salary (20M) becomes guaranteed if he's on your roster by the 5th day of the league year.

Which is fine, because if you're trading for him you aren't cutting him this year anyway. After that, you essentially have him on two 1-year options at 20M per through his age-30 season, which actually makes it an ideal predicate to negotiate an extension after this season. Bottom line, this is a no-brainer for the Jets unless their valuation on him is WAY lower than 20M.

$20M on the cap is a huge turn-off. Other WRs signing for such a figure will only account for $5-8M (when you factor in signing bonuses). With only $48M in cap room we should look elsewhere to improve the team rather then take a one year $20M flier on a Cooper. In no way or form would he deliever on $20M in production. 

14 minutes ago, doitny said:

the best players in the league all have big contracts. do they get traded for 6th rd picks because of their contracts.?

there is going to be a "win now" team out there who won't care about their late 1st or 2nd rd pick to make the trade.

he is one of the top WRs in the league. he isnt Denzel Mims who some on this board think you could trade for a 3rd rd pick. 

trade unlikely 

• Upvote 1

i am typically against high price WR's. there are a ton of good ones, and a lot of them coming into the league every year. that being said, Cooper could have a unique appeal for the jets because he is an elite route runner. you want to do all you can to help Wilson succeed with designed plays, including timing throws. i'd be excited if we got him to go with Davis, Moore and Barrios.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No one is "Against" Cooper, merely against paying him 20 million a year for X years as he nears 30. 

But, he's 27.  I mean, if you sign him to a 5 year deal he'll be over 30, but what free agent isn't?

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

From what I've seen JD is more of a Walmart guy than a Saks guy when it comes to FA.  I see a better shot of him kicking the tires on Ridley and trying to get him at a discount vs. paying big bucks for Cooper...

That's funny because Ridley is better than Cooper. 

41 minutes ago, doitny said:

There is no team that will be give up what you think he is worth.  Zero chance. Teams take into account contracts. 

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

He’s the best receiver they could possibly get including draft or free agency. Nobody is more talented than Cooper 

Youre entitled to your opinion, but i dont agree, and neither do the Cowboys.   If they did, they wouldnt be trying to dump Cooper for salary cap reasons and retain Schultz.

Ive watched the Cowboys more than most non NY Jets football teams and havent seen him take over a single game or seen one game where the Defense had to adjust its game plan to account for him.  Ive seen him drop a few passes too at key times.  If we cant do better in the draft, thats an indictment of Joe Douglas and their scouting.   I d bet there are at least 20 WRs in the NFL that Id pay before Cooper.   Im not saying he sucks, Im saying he is more average than superstar and doesnt deserve the contract he has.  Id bet if he is cut from Dallas his next contract is for a lower average salary.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bowles Movement said:

Youre entitled to your opinion, but i dont agree, and neither do the Cowboys.   If they did, they wouldnt be trying to dump Cooper for salary cap reasons and retain Schultz.

Ive watched the Cowboys more than most non NY Jets football teams and havent seen him take over a single game or seen one game where the Defense had to adjust its game plan to account for him.  Ive seen him drop a few passes too at key times.  If we cant do better in the draft, thats an indictment of Joe Douglas and their scouting.   I d bet there are at least 20 WRs in the NFL that Id pay before Cooper.   Im not saying he sucks, Im saying he is more average than superstar and doesnt deserve the contract he has.  Id bet if he is cut from Dallas his next contract is for a lower average salary.

What free agent WR is better than Coop? And don’t tell me a rookie coming out of this draft especially is better. No way