Linderbaum Measurements

BCJet

Obviously on-field performance is most important but Linderbaum really had some concerning measurements coming in at 6'2 296 but more importantly with 31 3/8 inch arms.

For comparison there was only 1 other player who had arm length below 32 inches.  The other elite IOL prospects were Zion Johnson (34 inches), Kenyon Green (34 3/8) and the other centers were Alec Lidstrom (32.63) and Cam Jurgens (33.38) with Cole Strange coming in at 31 inches.

Linderbaum didnt bench so not sure where he falls when it comes to strength, but it does seem like his size could be a concern, at least early in his career, in the NFL.

• WTF? 1

He’s going to fall to the late first to second just like I thought for months. People hype up centers all the time and they always go lower than people think. Plus the fact of him being this undersized. I like him, but center just isn’t something you draft high. Most in the league are mid round picks. Is he a better prospect than Humphrey? That’s the question and Creed went late second. Gimme Cole Strange or Dylan Parham in the 3rd/4th over Linderbaum in the first/second 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

He’s going to fall to the late first to second just like I thought for months. People hype up centers all the time and they always go lower than people think. Plus the fact of him being this undersized. I like him, but center just isn’t something you draft high. Most in the league are mid round picks.

Yep 

It honestly wouldn’t shock me if he’s there at #35.

And with Zion taking snaps at center during senior bowl practices, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone takes him at the bottom of the 1st with the intent of playing him there.

I like Linderbaum, but I’ve said for years that Jets fans have become way too obsessed with finding the next Mawae/Mangold. The only 1st round center in recent memory who has worked out as an actual center in the NFL is Frank Ragnow (Ruiz moved to OG) and he hasn’t exactly helped move the needle for Detroit.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Yep 

And with Zion taking snaps at center during senior bowl practices, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone takes him at the bottom of the 1st with the intent of playing him there.

I like Linderbaum, but I’ve said for years that Jets fans have become way too obsessed with finding the next Mawae/Mangold. The only 1st round center in recent memory who has worked out as an actual center in the NFL is Frank Ragnow (Ruiz moved to OG) and he hasn’t exactly helped move the needle for Detroit.

Exactly, some people disagree but I don’t think center makes that much of a difference. As long as they don’t suck then having an average one compared to a good one doesn’t move the needle much. This is where investing premium assets be it money or high draft picks comes into play. If you can get a mid round guy to play decent and use the money/picks elsewhere it’s a better situation. 

Look at how Vikings fans feel about their undersized 1st round pick center. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Exactly, some people disagree but I don’t think center makes that much of a difference. As long as they don’t suck then having an average one compared to a good one doesn’t move the needle much. This is where investing premium assets be it money or high draft picks comes into play. If you can get a mid round guy to play decent and use the money/picks elsewhere it’s a better situation. 

And tons of Jets fans wanted Bradbury as well

28 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yep 

Agreed, I think he is a second round pick at this point, especially given that Bradbury is still the athlete that he was when he came out but has never gained the necessary strength.

I cant see a team taking the risk with Linderbaum when Zion Johnson's floor is an average NFL guard yet they both have elite level ceilings - how do you justify not taking Zion?

5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Agreed, I think he is a second round pick at this point, especially given that Bradbury is still the athlete that he was when he came out but has never gained the necessary strength.

I cant see a team taking the risk with Linderbaum when Zion Johnson's floor is an average NFL guard yet they both have elite level ceilings - how do you justify not taking Zion?

Especially since Zion offers positional and scheme versatility.

Linderbaum is strictly a center and needs to be in a zone blocking scheme. Putting him in a power scheme and asking him to handle 330+ lb NT’s is just asking for trouble.

With that said, I’d have zero complaints about taking Linderbaum at #35 and moving McGovern to RG.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Especially since Zion offers positional and scheme versatility.

Linderbaum is strictly a center and needs to be in a zone blocking scheme. Putting him in a power scheme and asking him to handle 330+ lb NT’s is just asking for trouble.

With that said, I’d have zero complaints about taking Linderbaum at #35 and moving McGovern to RG.

I’m still not sure about 35 even. Depends on how the draft shakes out. 

Say it goes edge/cb in the first. One of the wrs like London falls. I’d take him over linderbaum 

S/Ol in the first and edge/wr/cb at 35 vs linderbaum 

Etc 

then there’s guys who might fall like dean (due to size) or one of the safeties like Dax or brisker etc 

• Upvote 2

Arm length seems much less of an issue for an IOL vs. an OT trying to protect the edge.  But if it pushes Linderbaum to 35, then the Jets should absolutely take him there and move McGovern to RG.  That's assuming the Jets don't sign an expensive C or RG prior to the draft.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I am not saying the Jets should take him at 10, but Linderbaum seems to be a "unicorn" as Saleh called uniquely special players. He is the type of center that will improve your team significantly making both guards more successful and being able to pull and lead outside runs like we used to see with Mawae. From what I have heard he is easily the best OL in the draft and maybe the best center prospect ever. We will see where he goes but I doubt he lasts much past where the Jets pick.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am not saying the Jets should take him at 10, but Linderbaum seems to be a "unicorn" as Saleh called uniquely special players. He is the type of center that will improve your team significantly making both guards more successful and being able to pull and lead outside runs like we used to see with Mawae. From what I have heard he is easily the best OL in the draft and maybe the best center prospect ever. We will see where he goes but I doubt he lasts much past where the Jets pick.

Idk man @HawkeyeJet probably watched more of him than I have, but he just seems very scheme specific. Like if teams run more of a gap/inside zone scheme then he’ll likely be underwhelming. To me that doesn’t point to “best center prospect ever”. If you watched the video I posted about Bradbury I see linderbaum having a lot of the same issues in the league if he doesn’t bulk up. Such as taking on dts head on and getting pushed around. If he does bulk up then he’ll likely lose some of that agility that he excelled at. 

@johnnysd edit on this one. 
I honestly wouldn’t be suprised if he’s not even the 1st IOL exclusive prospect taken. I can see Zion Johnson going ahead of him. Not super super confident in it, but can definitely see it happen. 

Also is that an Australian Shepherd in your pic? I’m thinking about getting a dog and they seem like really good breeds

Idk man @HawkeyeJet probably watched more of him than I have, but he just seems very scheme specific. Like if teams run more of a gap/inside zone scheme then he’ll likely be underwhelming. To me that doesn’t point to “best center prospect ever”. If you watched the video I posted about Bradbury I see linderbaum having a lot of the same issues in the league if he doesn’t bulk up. Such as taking on dts head on and getting pushed around. If he does bulk up then he’ll likely lose some of that agility that he excelled at. 

I honestly wouldn’t be suprised if he’s not even the 1st IOL exclusive prospect taken. I can see Zion Johnson going ahead of him. Not super super confident in it, but can definitely see it happen. 

Also is that an Australian Shepherd in your pic? I’m thinking about getting a dog and they seem like really good breeds

I loved Linderbaum as a prospect but the whole Bradbury thing has me worried as I liked him a lot too.  Its not about the tape, Linderbaums tape is elite.  Its not about scheme as he is clearly a zone-blocking center. And yes, he clearly would excel pulling and on screens.  But those plays represent less than 10 plays of a total game, and if hes getting destroyed the other 50 plays then what does it matter.

Im also not sure how much it helps us to move mcgovern to RG.  His biggest struggle is the line calls/stunts but he still is a good center.  We could wind up hurting RG and center with Linderbaum as opposed to adding Zion to RG and improving the whole line as a whole.

• Upvote 2

@BurntDice yes ahe was an Australian  Shepherd...rescue from Katrina...i am getting a mini Aussue puppy tomorrow. Best dogs in the world.

I don't see Zion going before Linderbaum but would be a great pic kup for the Jets.

Will be maybe one of the hardest drafts to pick ever.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

@BurntDice yes ahe was an Australian  Shepherd...rescue from Katrina...i am getting a mini Aussue puppy tomorrow. Best dogs in the world.

I don't see Zion going before Linderbaum but would be a great pic kup for the Jets.

Nice! That’s exciting. I want a medium sized dog who’s good with family’s and they seem perfect. 

• Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Linderbaum is undersized, but doesn’t lack strength. 
His strength, balance, and wrestling background makes me think he can hold up against a nose tackle bull rush. 

Didn’t show it in college. Most of his wow plays are when he takes on lbs and dbs. I only watched like 4 games of his, but he was decent against lineman, but also got pushed around some and those weren’t nfl caliber guys. He’d just be a huge outlier to be successful in the league. Even his arm length is sub par. 

6B82CB0E-F032-4A88-A07C-D70C82236F50.png

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

I loved Linderbaum as a prospect but the whole Bradbury thing has me worried as I liked him a lot too.  Its not about the tape, Linderbaums tape is elite.  Its not about scheme as he is clearly a zone-blocking center. And yes, he clearly would excel pulling and on screens.  But those plays represent less than 10 plays of a total game, and if hes getting destroyed the other 50 plays then what does it matter.

Im also not sure how much it helps us to move mcgovern to RG.  His biggest struggle is the line calls/stunts but he still is a good center.  We could wind up hurting RG and center with Linderbaum as opposed to adding Zion to RG and improving the whole line as a whole.

These are pretty much my thoughts. I’d rather just drsft Cole Strange or Dylan Parham in the mid rounds. They can play guard and center. Strange played some tackle too 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

Nice! That’s exciting. I want a medium sized dog who’s good with family’s and they seem perfect. 

Yes they are great family dogs. They are ultra smart and super active so you need to channel that to constructive things

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Australian Shepherd = best dog ever. Had one that lived for 17 years. He was in the back yard at a BBQ I had and he was going on 16, he jumped over a chair when someone threw a ball. My friend said how old is that dog?  So much energy, so much fun.

Good luck with the new pup tomorrow!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BurntDice said:

As long as you can get them excercise and don't mind their herding instincts (tend to bark a bit) they are amazing. Fiercely loyal. Tough and smart. Will defend you with everything it has.

I was walking in the woods in the Poconos when my son was 2. At my in laws house. We walked up a hill and came within 20 feet of a bear that was staring at us. We were a good distance from the house. I picked up my son and starting walking backwards and the bear just watched us.

The whole time I was afraid my dog Tucker was going to run at the bear and get killed. But they listed to commands so well. I said Tucker go and pointed to the house. He ran towards the house, away from the bear, and never saw the bear.

If the bear had charged us he would have given his life for us no doubt.

Years later when my son was big I would wrestle him. My son was bigger than me and Tucker would always protect him. Seriously is an amazing breed.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

• Sympathy 3

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

As long as you can get them excercise and don't mind their herding instincts (tend to bark a bit) they are amazing. Fiercely loyal. Tough and smart. Will defend you with everything it has.

I was walking in the woods in the Poconos when my son was 2. At my in laws house. We walked up a hill and came within 20 feet of a bear that was staring at us. We were a good distance from the house. I picked up my son and starting walking backwards and the bear just watched us.

The whole time I was afraid my dog Tucker was going to run at the bear and get killed. But they listed to commands so well. I said Tucker go and pointed to the house. He ran towards the house, away from the bear, and never saw the bear.

If the bear had charged us he would have given his life for us no doubt.

Years later when my son was big I would wrestle him. My son was bigger than me and Tucker would always protect him. Seriously is an amazing breed.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

What a great story. That situation could have turned out really bad, but thankfully it all worked out. I’ve heard that once they are trained well they listen to commands perfectly and in situations like that it makes all the difference. 

I was trying to decide between a lab and an Australian shepherd and I think the answer is clear now! Plus they are beautiful dogs 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Australian Shepherd = best dog ever. Had one that lived for 17 years. He was in the back yard at a BBQ I had and he was going on 16, he jumped over a chair when someone threw a ball. My friend said how old is that dog?  So much energy, so much fun.

Good luck with the new pup tomorrow!

Thanks been 4 years almost since I had a dog. Live in a second story apartment so I will need to talk him on many many walks. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2022 at 8:47 PM, BurntDice said:

Consider Siberian Huskies.   They are smart and fun dogs    Very unique    They dont bark, they talk.   And they are beautiful animals- every time I take them for a walk someone stops me to ooooh and aaaah.   Great with kids- they never nip.   Not great guard dogs for the same reasons.   And they do shed

C29F67E9-9649-4AD8-A273-D129C2476001.jpeg

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Consider Siberian Huskies.   They are smart and fun dogs    Very unique    They dont bark, they talk.   And they are beautiful animals- every time I take them for a walk someone stops me to ooooh and aaaah.   Great with kids- they never nip.   Not great guard dogs for the same reasons.   And they do shed

C29F67E9-9649-4AD8-A273-D129C2476001.jpeg

Those are some good looking dogs man! I’ll definitely look into them 

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Those are some good looking dogs man! I’ll definitely look into them 

They are so much fun!   They are real characters- my younger one demands my attention and wont take no even when Im busy.  Im on my way back home after traveling for my kids hockey tournament and looking forward to their welcoming me back home.  

We all know that PFF isn't the best at grading players, but, when it comes to OL i think that their grades are really more accurate than not (See Creed Humphrey last year). Linderbaum is their highest graded center from the past two seasons and one of their highest graded all time i do believe that if he goes to a system like we're running here he'll be elite.

21 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

We all know that PFF isn't the best at grading players, but, when it comes to OL i think that their grades are really more accurate than not (See Creed Humphrey last year). Linderbaum is their highest graded center from the past two seasons and one of their highest graded all time i do believe that if he goes to a system like we're running here he'll be elite.

I’m not so sure about the pff ol grading lol GVR was graded higher than AVT for them and we all know how bad he was. He’s also only 2 points lower than Ryan Jensen who a lot of people consider the one of the best centers in the league 

29 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I’ll just say lots of people thought Wirfs arms were too short and would end up a Guard.

Wirfs has 34 inch arms. The average arm length for a tackle is 34. For a guard it’s 33. For a center it’s 32.5. Linderbaum is 31 1/8. 

52 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Wirfs has 34 inch arms. The average arm length for a tackle is 34. For a guard it’s 33. For a center it’s 32.5. Linderbaum is 31 1/8. 

Obviously you are entitled to draw whatever conclusion about Linderbaum and his short arms.  It might matter, it might not.  But people had similar concerns about Wirfs.  He couldn’t do this, he might not do that.  And there was talk about his arm length.  There were a hell of a lot more Wirfs will kick into Guard takes than Wirfs will be an all pro tackle.

All I know is Tyler Linderbaum and his tiny arms man handle people and have for quite some time.  If it’s a disadvantage for him, he’s figured out a way to make up for it somehow.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Obviously you are entitled to draw whatever conclusion about Linderbaum and his short arms.  It might matter, it might not.  But people had similar concerns about Wirfs.  He couldn’t do this, he might not do that.  And there was talk about his arm length.  There were a hell of a lot more Wirfs will kick into Guard takes than Wirfs will be an all pro tackle.

All I know is Tyler Linderbaum and his tiny arms man handle people and have for quite some time.  If it’s a disadvantage for him, he’s figured out a way to make up for it somehow.  

I’m not saying that I don’t like him,I do. It’s just that he’s such a massive outlier to be successful. If we we’re picking in the backend of the 1st then sure go for it. That’s not the case tho. The comparisons to Bradbury are legit. Arm length does matter. He’ll have like 2+ inch shorter reach than most DTs which effects the point of contact and control.  So does being 15 lbs heavier to take on dts. Sure he has the flashy plays where he wrecks lbs and safeties 50 lbs lighter than him and it’s exciting and all, but that doesn’t happen that often. What about when he has to line up against a 340+ DT? What’s going to happen then? Bradbury gets crushed and pushed back into the qb. There’s a film review, I’ll try to find it later that describes this exact thing with linderbaum on his college tape. 

You’ve watched more of him that I have, how does he do 1 on 1 with dts?