Jump to content

Jordan Davis DT, Georgia


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Bless you....Thank you said:

Target could have been josh allen

If you make that trade to go up for Josh Allen, you take him. He was on the board. It wasn’t.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People are gonna' talk about why teams shouldn't take Jordan Davis because he's an interior lineman.  Then, if it turns out he actually loves football, he's going to spend the next decade wrecking entire offensive game plans.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

People are gonna' talk about why teams shouldn't take Jordan Davis because he's an interior lineman.  Then, if it turns out he actually loves football, he's going to spend the next decade wrecking entire offensive game plans.

Just like DRob, Mo wilk, Shel rich, leo Williams and quinnen

He will be a nice player but he is not going to be Aaron Donald.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just like DRob, Mo wilk, Shel rich, leo Williams and quinnen

He will be a nice player but he is not going to be Aaron Donald.

Which one of those guys is most comparable to Davis in terms of size/speed/agility?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, AFJF said:

People are gonna' talk about why teams shouldn't take Jordan Davis because he's an interior lineman.  Then, if it turns out he actually loves football, he's going to spend the next decade wrecking entire offensive game plans.

That RAS has him as the second best size adjusted athlete behind Calvin Johnson is wild.

I do think his endurance is a pretty big question mark and he’s not proven as a pass rusher yet. But an absolutely crazy athlete and interior pressure is extremely valuable and hard to find.

Honestly not sure how teams figure out the endurance thing but he’s got a chance to go really high.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Which one of those guys is most comparable to Davis in terms of size/speed/agility?

All of them were considered awesome sauce dominant DT's

Davis is a good looking prospect but he will just be another rotational guy that they probably take out on 3rd down with the jets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Aaron Wilson ⁦‪@AaronWilson_NFL‬⁩

Georgia defensive tackle Jordan Davis well-positioned heading into NFL draft ⁦‪@jordanxdavis99‬⁩⁦‪@GeorgiaFootball‬⁩ after stellar combine (4.78, 6-6, 340 pounds) key role on national championship team; Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys visits; and Jets, Vikings interest 
profootballnetwork.com/georgia-defens…

4/19/22, 9:58 AM

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

I've been saying dont be shocked if both the top 10 picks play near the LOS.  Edge/DL maybe twice/OL  just sayin...I could see it.  Davis could be a huge for this D.

Like him more than Wyatt?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I've been saying dont be shocked if both the top 10 picks play near the LOS.  Edge/DL maybe twice/OL  just sayin...I could see it.  Davis could be a huge for this D.

For all the talk about needing a pass rusher, the run d was worse than the pass rush.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

- The Jets play a 4 man front with super wide gap splits.  This is simply not a fit for a guy with a nose tackle physique,

- The jets rotate dline HEAVILY, JFM if i recall lead in % of snaps last year at just above 60% Quinnen was between 55 and 60%.  Thus the guy people want to spend a top 10 pick is going to play 60%  of the snaps at best

- Davis is not a pass rusher, I could give two hoots at the projections based on the combine.  He will be taken out on 3rd and long.

The Jets have picked 'Best player in the draft' DTs for 15 years each one of them better than the last and it has done nothing for this team.

The player is fine, he will do well for some 3-4 as a NT.

He would be a terrible waste of resources for the Jets.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

- The Jets play a 4 man front with super wide gap splits.  This is simply not a fit for a guy with a nose tackle physique,

- The jets rotate dline HEAVILY, JFM if i recall lead in % of snaps last year at just above 60% Quinnen was between 55 and 60%.  Thus the guy people want to spend a top 10 pick is going to play 60%  of the snaps at best

- Davis is not a pass rusher, I could give two hoots at the projections based on the combine.  He will be taken out on 3rd and long.

The Jets have picked 'Best player in the draft' DTs for 15 years each one of them better than the last and it has done nothing for this team.

The player is fine, he will do well for some 3-4 as a NT.

He would be a terrible waste of resources for the Jets.

Realistically, guys like Winfrey(earlier) or a guy like Matthew Butler from Tennessee( later4-5)  might be perfect.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Like him more than Wyatt?

I do.  I just think; Haloti Ngata.  Humans like this dont come around often.  Then you look at his impact in the game vs. out and some of theses stats are just mind blowing:

Davis On Field vs. Davis Off Field

Snaps155/253

Yards/Play 2.7 vs. 4.1

Yards/Att 3.5 vs. 5.9

QB Contact Pct 40% vs 34%

 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

For all the talk about needing a pass rusher, the run d was worse than the pass rush.  

Yes but if you look above part of what is so insane about those stats is Davis is improving the QB contact rate playing that amount of snaps basically on 1st/2nd downs, predominantly running downs in the SEC.  It's wild.   They're getting to him less in 3rd and long, pass rush situations, then they are in 1st/2nd down pass attempts situations.  that's wild

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I do.  I just think; Haloti Ngata.  Humans like this dont come around often.  Then you look at his impact in the game vs. out and some of theses stats are just mind blowing:

Davis On Field vs. Davis Off Field

Snaps155/253

Yards/Play 2.7 vs. 4.1

Yards/Att 3.5 vs. 5.9

QB Contact Pct 40% vs 34%

 

Yes but if you look above part of what is so insane about those stats is Davis is improving the QB contact rate playing that amount of snaps basically on 1st/2nd downs, predominantly running downs in the SEC.  It's wild.   They're getting to him less in 3rd and long, pass rush situations, then they are in 1st/2nd down pass attempts situations.  that's wild

 

Talk about misleading stats, Georgia had one of if not the best D in years and years and is loaded with great players all over the place.  They stop the run thus low gain rates, then he comes out and the gain rates increasing due to passing plays.  

The guy is an excellent run stopper, just like snacks harrision (udfa), Devito (udfa), futaski (6th rounder) and guys like Pouha (3rd rounder).

If a guy is not a pass rusher and is actually being taken out on passing downs using a top 10 pick on him is ludicrous, thus the jets will probably pick him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Talk about misleading stats, Georgia had one of if not the best D in years and years and is loaded with great players all over the place.  They stop the run thus low gain rates, then he comes out and the gain rates increasing due to passing plays.  

The guy is an excellent run stopper, just like snacks harrision (udfa), Devito (udfa), futaski (6th rounder) and guys like Pouha (3rd rounder).

If a guy is not a pass rusher and is actually being taken out on passing downs using a top 10 pick on him is ludicrous, thus the jets will probably pick him.

That is a good point and would explain yards per play, but not the starker divide in yards per passing attempt (assuming that’s what it is, seems too high for rushing) or the higher QB contact percentage on downs it’s less obvious the offense is passing, right?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Talk about misleading stats, Georgia had one of if not the best D in years and years and is loaded with great players all over the place.  They stop the run thus low gain rates, then he comes out and the gain rates increasing due to passing plays.  

The guy is an excellent run stopper, just like snacks harrision (udfa), Devito (udfa), futaski (6th rounder) and guys like Pouha (3rd rounder).

If a guy is not a pass rusher and is actually being taken out on passing downs using a top 10 pick on him is ludicrous, thus the jets will probably pick him.

Misleading?  In the game vs. out?  There is nothing misleading about that, it's in fact, straight forward.  And it's almost like you didnt read them, their QB contact was higher with him in the game.  Maybe that doesnt register but that's not how it's supposed be and it leads to much much more than a "run stuffer".   I dont think you realize what he does to the game and to think that an athlete of his caliber cant penetrate that way Saleh needs him to seems very narrow minded.  He's a mutant that completely changes how an OL has to handle the game in every aspect. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Thibs at 4 and Davis at 10! Dominate the line of scrimmage!!

I've run hundreds of simulator mocks and read quite a few pro mocks.  

All that said, odds seem to be that Thibs has a low chance to still be there at #4.

And Davis may still be there late in Round 1, so #10 might be seen as a reach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i like the idea about this guy if the jets were still running a 3-4.  but even in a 4-2 he'd still be a good hedge against qwill.  it think part of the problem is that the jets are always rotating guys in and out so they don't seem to place much value on any one dline player.  they want to keep him fresh.  could be using a couple of lower picks for dline are better than using a prime pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

Want Davis?  You sure?

Ok.  Fine, lets just rebuild our Defense all in one go then, shall we.

image.thumb.png.26f27382c39170079601c0720238a4e8.png

I swear I had a dream last night where we made that exact trade. Not sure who we picked though, ended before that. 

It's on. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I've been saying dont be shocked if both the top 10 picks play near the LOS.  Edge/DL maybe twice/OL  just sayin...I could see it.  Davis could be a huge for this D.

Been saying the same thing. It's smart. Build from the inside out... You can't play football if both lines are constantly getting beat.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Been saying the same thing. It's smart. Build from the inside out... You can't play football if both lines are constantly getting beat.

The Jets proved the opposite last year.  You can't win but you can play!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Been saying the same thing. It's smart. Build from the inside out... You can't play football if both lines are constantly getting beat.

100%.  Cinci was an outlier but it showed up in the Super Bowl.  The game is won and lost at the LOS and I dont think that fact is lost on JD and Saleh.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Talk about misleading stats, Georgia had one of if not the best D in years and years and is loaded with great players all over the place.  They stop the run thus low gain rates, then he comes out and the gain rates increasing due to passing plays.  

The guy is an excellent run stopper, just like snacks harrision (udfa), Devito (udfa), futaski (6th rounder) and guys like Pouha (3rd rounder).

If a guy is not a pass rusher and is actually being taken out on passing downs using a top 10 pick on him is ludicrous, thus the jets will probably pick him.

Which is why QW was such a horrible pick. But yea let’s draft Davis in 1st round. SMH 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From ProFootball Network yesterday, Tuesday April 19th...

"One of the biggest, most powerful, and fastest players for his size to enter the league in NFL history, Georgia defensive tackle Jordan Davis is in heavy demand. Besides accurately throwing out the first pitch at a recent Atlanta Braves game, the Charlotte, North Carolina, native has been racking up frequent flier miles. That includes visits with the Baltimore Ravens, Philadelphia Eagles, and Dallas Cowboys for the projected first-round NFL Draft pick, according to a league source.

Besides those in-person meetings with NFL teams, sources emphasized that Davis has drawn considerable interest during his steady interactions with the New York Jets and Minnesota Vikings."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

From ProFootball Network yesterday, Tuesday April 19th...

"One of the biggest, most powerful, and fastest players for his size to enter the league in NFL history, Georgia defensive tackle Jordan Davis is in heavy demand. Besides accurately throwing out the first pitch at a recent Atlanta Braves game, the Charlotte, North Carolina, native has been racking up frequent flier miles. That includes visits with the Baltimore Ravens, Philadelphia Eagles, and Dallas Cowboys for the projected first-round NFL Draft pick, according to a league source.

Besides those in-person meetings with NFL teams, sources emphasized that Davis has drawn considerable interest during his steady interactions with the New York Jets and Minnesota Vikings."

I think they want to build up front as several folks have said, edge at 4 and Davis at 10 would mesh with what I think they want. 

Even the proposed Hill trade - they would’ve held on to 4 and 10. I think there’s someone they want at 10. Davis meshes with where SF always drafted interior guys and we have a lot of rumors they want iDL.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get both sides of the argument on Davis.

I do think people are too quick to write him off because he's "just a run stuffing DT" because the guy is an enormous beast who is different. This isn't your run of the mill DT dubbed "best player in the draft" or whatever. He has potential to be extremely disruptive and really impact how opposing offenses operate. 

That said it's all just potential for every draft pick and I too am very hesitant to go DT in the first round especially with our recent history. If we can somehow pickup a third first round pick I'd feel a lot better about taking him. Trading down from 4 for both of the Saints or Eagles first round pick or trading up with both of our 2nd round picks are realistic options for that to happen too.

At the end of the day I don't think we're going to value the position high enough for him to be on the board when he matches our perceived value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...