Kayvon Thibodeaux leaves combine early

8 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I just heard that part of Thibs reasoning to go to Oregon was its connection to Nike and branding. Anyone else read this somewhere. First Im hearing it but another knotch lower for me if true

Yes.  He chose Oregon over every other school, including Alabama, because he was thinking long-term when it came to his “brand”.

7BD0E7C8-C0C7-4D13-BCC8-6AD965FDBFD7.thumb.jpeg.36c2c02f27d2dd9c10a094d33572c45e.jpeg

17D73CA4-7BE3-4194-8313-F73EDA0FDDBF.thumb.jpeg.eca56d84dc2941b01805894a4007562a.jpeg

066C9509-763C-477F-A7BF-C5A9EB6190A2.thumb.jpeg.474bfbec94b9672c3924f401655fc5b2.jpeg

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Does it matter if he's a diva when he's sacking the QB? We're Jets fans, do you know who was one of the biggest NFL divas of all time? Joe Namath.

Some other noteworthy NFL divas.

• T.O.
  • Randy Moss
  • Ocho Cinco
  • Deion Sanders
  • Brett Favre
  • Keyshawn Johnson
  • Eric Dickerson
  • Tiki Barber

If his ability is worthy of the #4 overall and he loves football you take the guy.

Thanks for the response BM. I just dont think the Jets are at the point of their rebuild to add talented players who have known diva issues. Would hate to see the progress of building a positive long term culture be compromised choosing players who show signs of "me first" attitudes

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Does it matter if he's a diva when he's sacking the QB?

We're Jets fans, do you know who was one of the biggest NFL divas of all time? Joe Namath.

• T.O.
  • Randy Moss
  • Ocho Cinco
  • Deion Sanders
  • Brett Favre
  • Keyshawn Johnson
  • Eric Dickerson
  • Tiki Barber

If his ability is worthy of the #4 overall and he loves football you take the guy.

What in the world has this guy done that makes you think he loves football?  

He openly admits that he chose Oregon and Nike for financial purposes over Alabama and National Championships.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Does it matter if he's a diva when he's sacking the QB?

We're Jets fans, do you know who was one of the biggest NFL divas of all time? Joe Namath.

• T.O.
  • Randy Moss
  • Ocho Cinco
  • Deion Sanders
  • Brett Favre
  • Keyshawn Johnson
  • Eric Dickerson
  • Tiki Barber

But see, some of those guys - Deion, Moss, T.O., Favre - were true outliers in terms of talent.

KT isn't even the most athletic edge player in this class (Johnson, Walker & Sam Williams are all at that level).

Then you see his collegiate production in a weak conference. Pretty meh. 

So really, how special is this guy? This sounds to me like paying for the name on the label as opposed to the quality of the product. And that's exactly how KT sees himself, as a brand. 

Pass.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, CSNY said:

Namath had a personality and charisma that was perfect for NYC. Namath on the field was a leader and loved the game of football. This is coming from his teammates that know far better than we do about his leadership skills 

Joe Namath once quit football because the league told him to sell his bar.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

What in the world has this guy done that makes you think he loves football?  

He openly admits that he chose Oregon and Nike for financial purposes over Alabama and National Championships.

So he made a 40 year decision instead of a four?  Considered his long term future and decided a career at Nike was better than nothing if he got hurt in school. 

Most people are praised for that.  

He did come off as a jerk off tho. 

• Upvote 3

Everyone questions these kid's choices when they go to the football factories and the NFL dream doesn't work out.

Here's a kid that chose differently and is being killed for it.

Yes, he seems to have the Prez disease, but his choice in school cannot be held against him. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Everyone questions these kid's choices when they go to the football factories and the NFL dream doesn't work out.

Here's a kid that chose differently and is being killed for it.

Yes, he seems to have the Prez disease, but his choice in school cannot be held against him. 

Your right, but that doesn’t excuse the rest of the problem 

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Unfolding now. Surprise to everyone. Collected his stuff and walked off. Not a good look according to all the commentators. Becoming a conversation. Ugggh

Unfolding now? 

You realize you’re watching and “ reporting” on a replay of last night’s telecast, right?

](*,)

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Not at 10 either.   Jets are building a culture and can’t afford the bust risk.  Some other “rich” team will be in position for a low floor high ceiling pick.  

Jets are building a culture and the players Jets draft or sign need to be part of that...a reflection of that.  It means Jets want players who love football.

Thibodeaux is more interested in building his brand.  This is so even though he hasn't stepped into the NFL and played a game.  Hasn't yet established himself as a player.  Football was never #1 for him...it's was always Nike.  And always will be.

His demeaner...his enthusiasm for the game...is way too cold and calculated.  

He's a pass for me.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Yes he did. He was also never charged nor were his business partners in any criminal wrong doing so standing up to Pete Rozell who just didn’t want him to be a bar owner with alleged criminals (Rozell never offered any evidence of criminality of Namaths partners his decision was based on what he heard ) That to me does not a diva make 

Imagine if JetNation.com existed when the news broke of Namath retiring due to league demands?

Half the site would be screaming about what a diva he was and how they always knew this about him and want nothing to do with him. The mods would be busy day and night merging Al Woodall is the next Johnny Unitas threads.

T0mShane would be running a smug victory lap about how this would never have happened on Bulldog Turners watch.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

He told reporter girl he was doing Dline and LB drills at his pro day. 

the scouts will still see his drills, but what stood out to me was willie McGinest obviously being surprised and sort of at a loss for words 

The more I read about this guy the less I like him

I wonder what number he will wear for the Jets lol

Willie knows him well and was really having a difficult time giving reasons why KT bugged out of drills. 

KT told Stacey Dales the reason is he wanted to do DL and LB drills and there was a hour+ gap in between DL & LB drills. He didn’t want to have to warm up two times. 

DJ and Charles Davis said there’s other players doing both drills…

Willie tried to talk it off that KT is probably being told by his agent or his trainer/workout guys to not do the drills

Just a bad look. I’ll defer to Joe & RS but considering this draft is deep with edge guys I’d pass. 

I wanted to double dip pass rushers this draft anyway with or without KT. Johnson, Ojabo or Walker early. Someone like a D. Malone, Dom Robinson, Barno, Paschal, Isaiah Thomas  3rd or 4th..

1 hour ago, OilfieldJet said:

Way too high on the bust scale, just no way at #4.

JD continues to get some criticism around here for using a pick as high as #11 on a guy who has freakish athletic ability but questionable commitment and dedication (Becton).  Kayvon is sounding like the DE version of our OT, but would require a much higher Draft pick in order to put that risk in a Jets uniform.

With so many other quality DE prospects I'm not sure it's worth it in that spot.

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Can anyone provide a link or story of him “leaving the combine”… I couldn’t find anything 

He threw on his sweats after he ran the 40 and decided not to do positional drills. Everyone there was surprised. 

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Imagine if JetNation.com existed when the news broke of Namath retiring due to league demands?

Half the site would be screaming about what a diva he was and how they always knew this about him and want nothing to do with him. The mods would be busy day and night merging Al Woodall is the next Johnny Unitas threads.

T0mShane would be running a smug victory lap about how this would never have happened on Bulldog Turners watch.

And what does this have to do with Namath being in your estimation a diva. Because he quit football ( for a very brief period of time) in doing what he felt was right and was being persecuted under false pretenses. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CSNY said:

And what does this have to do with Namath being in your estimation a diva. Because he quit football ( for a very brief period of time) in doing what he felt was right and was being persecuted under false pretenses. 

If you don't think Namath was a diva I'm not going to try and convince you. It's basically common knowledge.

Have a good day sir.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Highly athletic, nasty ass dude who could play RG or RT and has been ascending for a while now.

Gives you insurance in case Becton flames out, and if the Jets bring in Jensen and get rid of McGovern, could help form the nastiest interior OL in the league along with AVT.

Fant

AVT

Jensen

Penning

Becton

I guarantee we’d start seeing the Jets rip off some big runs up the gut for the first time in a decade and would suddenly start converting those 3rd and shorts at a sky high rate instead of getting stuffed at the line or in the backfield.

We also wouldn’t see the entire OL standing around with their hands on their hips when our prized young QB gets slammed into the turf.

You don’t draft “insurance” at 10 and they’d have to be an all world guard to draft that high 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yes.  He chose Oregon over every other school, including Alabama, because he was thinking long-term when it came to his “brand”.

7BD0E7C8-C0C7-4D13-BCC8-6AD965FDBFD7.thumb.jpeg.36c2c02f27d2dd9c10a094d33572c45e.jpeg

17D73CA4-7BE3-4194-8313-F73EDA0FDDBF.thumb.jpeg.eca56d84dc2941b01805894a4007562a.jpeg

066C9509-763C-477F-A7BF-C5A9EB6190A2.thumb.jpeg.474bfbec94b9672c3924f401655fc5b2.jpeg

Thanks Mogglez. I think this confirms it for me. I have  two top players off my personal Big Board in Derrick Stingley because I dont think the Jets are in a position to draft an injured player no matter the talent and now Thib because too many red flags. Great information  Mogglez 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Wit said:

Is it possible he already received a guarantee that he will be drafted by a team in the top five?

I hope so, and now I hope it’s us at #4 because this entire thread is ridiculous. How many other kids refused to take part in every drill? 
i understand if people don’t want to take this kid at #4, that’s fine. To base it on this nonsense, or for someone to claim he doesn’t like football because of the school he attended? That’s garbage. Don’t pay any attention to it.