Kayvon Thibodeaux leaves combine early

How many players went to Bama that blew out their knee or washed out of the league in three years?

How many of them wish they went to Oregon or another school with the history of taking care of their alum?  

Alabama isn't a bad school, I'd be proud if one of my kids graduated from there.  

They just don't make their players attend classes like the regular student body.  Imo, it's doing those kids a disservice. 

I think this board has Prez PTSD.  

That being said, with the numerous options at edge this year, player's attitude will be the deciding factor.

He probably cost himself money yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

So he basically ran a 4.5 ,, and put 27 reps on the bench ,, still has a pro day and he's a cancer now?

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

I know, right?  When has picking a workout warrior, with effort concerns, who killed the combine, ever gone wrong for anyone?

BA95874E-1540-4CEB-9549-D3ECBBAEA4A6.jpeg.a3c6b9c8d412f7b06cda622ed66e6abc.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

How many players went to Bama that blew out their knee or washed out of the league in three years?

How many of them wish they went to Oregon or another school with the history of taking care of their alum?  

Alabama isn't a bad school, I'd be proud if one of my kids graduated from there.  

They just don't make their players attend classes like the regular student body.  Imo, it's doing those kids a disservice. 

Yup; just gotta focus on breaking the “stigmatism”.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That would be all well and dandy if he was going for a degree like Justin Herbert’s degree in science (Major in Biology).  KT chose a major 99.9% of football players choose: broadcast journalism/communications.  Then he rips on Alabama’s education system while using the word “stigmatism” to describe the STIGMA surrounding athletes being “dumb jocks”.  Finally, he follows it up by going AWOL at an event which is, essentially, a job interview for him?  Nah man; I’m understanding in most situations when it comes to players.  This kid is a moron.  A talented moron, but still a moron I would be terrified of giving millions of dollars nonetheless.  

I don’t want us to take him because like Stingley, the production hasn’t matched up with the perceived talent, and neither have played a lot of football the past two years.

You and I are usually on the same page with most things, but not this. I think you’re going overboard here. You feel strongly about it though, and I’m never going to change your mind.
Let’s just agree to disagree. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Does it matter if he's a diva when he's sacking the QB?
We're Jets fans, do you know who was one of the biggest NFL divas of all time? Joe Namath.
Some other noteworthy NFL divas.
  • T.O.
  • Randy Moss
  • Ocho Cinco
  • Deion Sanders
  • Brett Favre
  • Keyshawn Johnson
  • Eric Dickerson
  • Tiki Barber
If his ability is worthy of the #4 overall and he loves football you take the guy.
This post is a fail .. none of the aforementioned dudes pulled this sh*t as a prospect.
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The bigger concern is that both Thebodeaux and Hutchinson are athletically average. I don't see either becoming franchise edge rushers. Not worth a top five pick at all.

40 time and pass rush production aren’t overly correlated. 

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The bigger concern is that both Thebodeaux and Hutchinson are athletically average. I don't see either becoming franchise edge rushers. Not worth a top five pick at all.

At least Hutchinson busts his ass very single play and will get effort sacks.

Just now, Dunnie said:
2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:
Does it matter if he's a diva when he's sacking the QB?
We're Jets fans, do you know who was one of the biggest NFL divas of all time? Joe Namath.
Some other noteworthy NFL divas.
  • T.O.
  • Randy Moss
  • Ocho Cinco
  • Deion Sanders
  • Brett Favre
  • Keyshawn Johnson
  • Eric Dickerson
  • Tiki Barber
If his ability is worthy of the #4 overall and he loves football you take the guy.

This post is a fail .. none of tge aforementioned dudes pulled this sh*t as a prospect.

Yeah. This has Geno leaving the draft type of vibes. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t want us to take him because like Stingley, the production hasn’t matched up with the perceived talent, and neither have played a lot of football the past two years.

You and I are usually on the same page with most things, but I think you’re going overboard here. You feel strongly about it though, and I’m never going to change your mind.
Let’s just agree to disagree on this. ?

Hey man, I can at least agree with the bolded!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

This post is a fail .. none of the aforementioned dudes pulled this sh*t as a prospect.

The notion that Brett Favre was someone who didn’t love football is so laughable that I didn’t even bother going after that post.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I wonder if this class wasn't so deep at edge would any of this stuff matter?
Yes, there would be concern, but not to this level. 
If anything we'd be happy because it might drop him to four. 
Culture matters when there is no proof of legendary talent and there are similar prospects to pick from that dont display similar childish traits.

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

He was supposed to be this athletic freak and yet Walker, Johnson and maybe even Sam Williams were just as impressive.

Seems like KT thinks he's more of an outlier than he actually he is. 

Sorry, bruh, you're just not that special. 

Vernon Gholston was an athletic freak.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Deion left the combine after running the 40 and did no other drills. He did break the record but that man was diva AF. 

Keshawn told the Giants to take him off their board after refusing their ridiculous test.

Just a couple off the top of my head.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Never left the combine early or were pains in the ass to everyone they dealt with?  Because the world is different now and people aren't just doing the Combine, or did Zach have a big combine last year that no one noticed?  And Pro-Days are becoming more of a players primary focus for showing off their skills anyway.

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

At least Hutchinson busts his ass very single play and will get effort sacks.

He just wasn't any good for 3 years until they catered a defense around him to give him stats?  I'd rather the guy who produced the whole time.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Yes.  He chose Oregon over every other school, including Alabama, because he was thinking long-term when it came to his “brand”.

7BD0E7C8-C0C7-4D13-BCC8-6AD965FDBFD7.thumb.jpeg.36c2c02f27d2dd9c10a094d33572c45e.jpeg

17D73CA4-7BE3-4194-8313-F73EDA0FDDBF.thumb.jpeg.eca56d84dc2941b01805894a4007562a.jpeg

066C9509-763C-477F-A7BF-C5A9EB6190A2.thumb.jpeg.474bfbec94b9672c3924f401655fc5b2.jpeg

Seems fairly plausible that us, the Lions, and the Jags are the Alabama of this analogy and a bunch of teams picking from the Giants down to the mid-teens may be the Oregon.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Origen said:

He just wasn't any good for 3 years until they catered a defense around him to give him stats?  I'd rather the guy who produced the whole time.

9, 3 years ago, 3 then 7 is not great production.

The most important production imo is recent production.

Same reason I and others down grade stingley, he was great.....3 years ago

Same reason the jets never should have drafted hackenurg, he was good 3 years before he was drafted.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

“continuous fall”? What are you even talking about?You know where he’s going to be drafted? You’re just flying by the seat of your pants here.

Look, you screwed up. You watched a replay this morning of last nights drills, and you thought it was live. Then you went into Jimmy Olson mode.

Why not react the same way about every other kid who either didn’t show up at all, or who also didn’t participate in every drill at this combine? There were plenty.

BTW you want a little history lesson? I’ll give you two names of players who we could’ve taken, if not for “rumors” Dan Marino and Warren Sapp. 

Lol, "Jimmy Olsen mode", you must be familiar with my previous thread about us landing on the moon ?. Yeah, my bad, but it is still concerning like many posts have stated, Thibs showed up for a pretty important job interview and cut out early with no one really knowing why. Any way you slice it, it didnt help him and a good chance it hurt him. 

3 hours ago, Copernicus said:

I just heard that part of Thibs reasoning to go to Oregon was its connection to Nike and branding. Anyone else read this somewhere?. First Im hearing it but another knotch lower for me if true

Watch starting at the 9:30 mark. I bring up all my concerns with Kayvon including that interview on Fox. You can hear the quote from his mouth, I think he poorly worded a response that wasn't supposed to sound that way. He basically said he went to Oregon because he had a foot in the door at Nike if football didn't work out.

• Upvote 2

Deion left the combine after running the 40 and did no other drills. He did break the record but that man was diva AF. 
Keshawn told the Giants to take him off their board after refusing their ridiculous test.
Just a couple off the top of my head.
Am i wrong ? I thought it was diva deion that told the Giants off about the playbook test because he would long gone by the time they picked at 10.

Plus .. deion's talent was exceptional and nearly always on display. Thibs seems to be more in the J Adams school self douchery... except he seems to have half the motor of the Prez.

1 hour ago, NYSportsKing said:

Not sure how many people watch Jets X-Factor, but Blewett specifically mentioned multiple times in his review how Thibs "takes plays off."

If he's gonna take plays off even before he gets his big paycheck, imagine how many he'll take off once he gets it.

Sounds like anything but a JD/Saleh guy to me. Sure, at some point his talent will be too good to pass up on. At 4? Not so likely.

Got Blewett coming on my Monday show tomorrow night. Gonna ask him specifically about Thib and Hamilton.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Really? From everything I read, he interviewed quite well, and he was very well spoken when interviewed on camera.

You’ve told us all season you get your football news from greenbean and Frankie from Flatbush, and you ignore mainstream media and the Jet beat writers because they’re so negative.

Now you’re “getting vibes” from some shlub on NFL Network and taking them as gospel?

With apologies to @Sarge4Tide if you give most people the choice of attending school at either Oregon or Alabama for education purposes, they’re going to Oregon. He made a choice he felt was best for him, it’s what kids do.

I listen to Thibadeaux and I get the opposite impression you do Moggs. He comes off as very intelligent and well spoken. I do agree with you though that in this case, less said would’ve been better.

Interviewed well but followed up with him self proclaiming that he is Javeon Clowney 2.0 is cringe worthy. How about a sense of humbleness? Fortunate to be here? Take Gardner, showed up in a suit and spoke about overcoming a tough upbringing in Detroit and stayed totally away from drugs and alcohol. I walk away thinking that Gardner totally gets it and is more worthy of definitly 10 and probably 4 where before this weekend I didnt want him at either. These interviews say a lot. Gsrdner doesnt seem to be a player to worry about in regards to all things effort and off the field. More of question mark from me for Thibs

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Am i wrong ? I wrong it was diva deion that told the Giants off about the playbook test because he would long gone by the time they picked at 10.

Plus .. deion's talent was exceptional and nearly always on display. Thibs seems to be more in the J Adams school self douchery.

yea Deion was on another planet than basically anyone as a prospect. 

Keyshawn did this, but from this article it sounds like Deion had a similar interaction.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/03/keyshawn-johnson-told-giants-to-take-him-off-their-board-when-they-wanted-a-psychological-evaluation/

I don't like to put a lot of stock into whether or not a prospect is a douche. If they're gifted, love football and know the x's and o's, bring them on board because they can help.

I don't know if all these things apply to Thib - just don't like to write him off for this reason. It's too subjective and a lot of assumptions are made.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Seems fairly plausible that us, the Lions, and the Jags are the Alabama of this analogy and a bunch of teams picking from the Giants down to the mid-teens may be the Oregon.

Perfectly fine by me.

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

The funny part about all this, is I’ve never wanted the Jets to take this kid. The only reason I’m defending him Is this thread is mind boggling.

I am still not getting how this is "mind boggling?"  Maybe a stetch and nothing  if the guy goes on to be a Pro Bowler but to me there is slight concern. With talk (right or wrong) coming into this combine about his effort and attitude, Thibs making self proclamations and leaving early did not help his cause. This alone is not worth discussing? Wish there was more discussion before we took Vernon Gholston and his lack of effort taking plays off in colllege and odd personality. Hoping to not draft this high again for a long time, let's not blow it by taking a player with some obvious negative signs is all Im saying 

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Watch starting at the 9:30 mark. I bring up all my concerns with Kayvon including that interview on Fox. You can hear the quote from his mouth, I think he poorly worded a response that wasn't supposed to sound that way. He basically said he went to Oregon because he had a foot in the door at Nike if football didn't work out.

Will do, while I sometimes miss the shows live, I always catch up by weeks end. Looking foward to it 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Will do, while I sometimes miss the shows live, I always catch up by weeks end. Looking foward to it 

I told GreenBean and Matt that I'm jumping off the Kayvon train haha I hated the way Jamal acted with us, I don't want that again. Too many good Edges to choose from.

• Upvote 2