Sauce Gardner

I think what we have to accept, and Saleh already knows, is that Zach Wilson is terrible. To elide this problem, Saleh’s best and only chance to not end his own career is to hide Wilson behind a big defense and a superhuman running game. Giving Zach Wilson a high-value receiver is like giving an infant an AK-47. Draft CB, OLB. and Kenneth Walker. Run the ball 40 times a game. Hope for the best. Zach sucks.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 11
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, BigRy56 said:

He’s such a clean prospect. I wouldn’t hate taking him at 4 at all. He’s going to be very very good

He seems so safe to me. Like probably the lowest bust rate of anyone in the top 10 from this year's class (maybe just outside of Hutch). 

The only thing that worries me slightly is how grabby he can be so far past the line of scrimmage. Something that shouldn't be hard to fix but is just further testament to his physicality and stickiness.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think what we have to accept, and Saleh already knows, is that Zach Wilson is terrible. To elide this problem, Saleh’s best and only chance to not end his own career is to hide Wilson behind a big defense and a superhuman running game. Giving Zach Wilson a high-value receiver is like giving an infant an AK-47. Draft CB, OLB. and Kenneth Walker. Run the ball 40 times a game. Hope for the best. Zach sucks.

So rebuild the 2009 Jets

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I will never understand why the Jets, while installing an offensive system that does a good job hiding quarterbacks but does need some talent elsewhere, took a high ceiling low floor guy from BYU and handed him the job running an offense largely devoid of skill talent as a rookie.

That being said, him apparently learning not to turn the ball over late in the season was encouraging. We saw growth, will see if he learns to let it rip and not turn it over. I do think they're going to bring in a veteran receiver - ultimately his development is paramount and they know that. The good ones get scooped up though so I doubt it'll be a good veteran receiver like the Hopkins or Diggs trades but maybe they'll surprise. 

I think the Sauce, Travon Walker, Ekwonu stuff is a lot less about wanting to hide Wilson and more about wanting to avoid the Becton mistake of bringing in a goofball. Gardner talking about how he doesn't smoke or drink and focuses on doing all the little things right, Ekwonu talking about how much he loves football and being on the field, Walker is evidently no nonsense and comes from a military family. All those guys are also great athletes, premium positions. Not the Eric Mangini guys who love football but they're slugs on the field. I think when the best players are also your hardest workers, good people, it's great for team culture. Just makes the picks safer. Swing for a double and see if it goes over the fence kind of stuff. 

That and Wilson needs help...now. They have to know the clock is ticking there. Take Garrett Wilson at 10 and maybe he's rookie Justin Jefferson or maybe he's rookie Jalen Reagor (who went ahead of Jefferson). Or Henry Ruggs - who was the first WR drafted that year. Veteran offensive talent is desperately needed. They need to find guys for him to grow with too.

I do think the RB thing has a better chance of happening than folks think. Those guys this year were fast and produced in college and several offenses are built around running backs drafted on day two. Walker or Hall at 35 or 38 may be their best shot to find a guy who scares defenses in this class, and do so relatively cheaply. But you can also make that case at 35 or 38 for any offensive line spot, or edge, or defensive tackle, or linebacker, or safety, or corner, or wide receiver, or tight end...

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets defense relies on talent in the front 7 specifically the LEO position. 

in coach Ulbrichs own words, if the QB gets to his second or third read this defense struggles. 

if Lawson is progressing nicely and they sign a top end edge rusher in free agency they may take a DB in the first round but based on JDs comments about supporting Wilson it’s most likely going to be offense or an edge rusher 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Source?

56 minutes ago, derp said:

I will never understand why the Jets, while installing an offensive system that does a good job hiding quarterbacks but does need some talent elsewhere, took a high ceiling low floor guy from BYU and handed him the job running an offense largely devoid of skill talent as a rookie.

That being said, him apparently learning not to turn the ball over late in the season was encouraging. We saw growth, will see if he learns to let it rip and not turn it over. I do think they're going to bring in a veteran receiver - ultimately his development is paramount and they know that. The good ones get scooped up though so I doubt it'll be a good veteran receiver like the Hopkins or Diggs trades but maybe they'll surprise. 

I think the Sauce, Travon Walker, Ekwonu stuff is a lot less about wanting to hide Wilson and more about wanting to avoid the Becton mistake of bringing in a goofball. Gardner talking about how he doesn't smoke or drink and focuses on doing all the little things right, Ekwonu talking about how much he loves football and being on the field, Walker is evidently no nonsense and comes from a military family. All those guys are also great athletes, premium positions. Not the Eric Mangini guys who love football but they're slugs on the field. I think when the best players are also your hardest workers, good people, it's great for team culture. Just makes the picks safer. Swing for a double and see if it goes over the fence kind of stuff. 

That and Wilson needs help...now. They have to know the clock is ticking there. Take Garrett Wilson at 10 and maybe he's rookie Justin Jefferson or maybe he's rookie Jalen Reagor (who went ahead of Jefferson). Or Henry Ruggs - who was the first WR drafted that year. Veteran offensive talent is desperately needed. They need to find guys for him to grow with too.

I do think the RB thing has a better chance of happening than folks think. Those guys this year were fast and produced in college and several offenses are built around running backs drafted on day two. Walker or Hall at 35 or 38 may be their best shot to find a guy who scares defenses in this class, and do so relatively cheaply. But you can also make that case at 35 or 38 for any offensive line spot, or edge, or defensive tackle, or linebacker, or safety, or corner, or wide receiver, or tight end...

As you alluded to, he’s a victim of rampant mismanagement, but he’s also a poor culture fit, abd has terrible instincts for the position. Way too much to overcome for him here and, if he people are smart, they‘ll get him to San Fran or Houston before NY eats him alive. 

I hated the idea of picking a CB during the season as most mock had Stingley going to us. But evaluating Sauce will make those stubborn minds about face. What Revis accomplished in the NFL is what Sauce placed together at the college level. He's completely blanketed WRs. These WRs running 4.28s would never get to hit that gear against him with the disturbance and redirections he causes at the line. He's definitely a top 3 prospect this year and you can make a case of him being the best prospect overall in the draft. 

Giants are said to be trading away Bradberry to free up $12M in cap space. So he'll  definitely be in play at 5 and 7. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As you alluded to, he’s a victim of rampant mismanagement, but he’s also a poor culture fit, abd has terrible instincts for the position. Way too much to overcome for him here and, if he people are smart, they‘ll get him to San Fran or Houston before NY eats him alive. 

We obviously just saw how Stafford took that Rams offense to the next level, but they had stuff in place before they added him and worked on it with a more boring guy in Goff. Now the 49ers are going to try it with Lance but they had things in place with Garoppolo and worked with his backups. Even back in Washington they tried it with RGIII and then Cousins was better. This offense is supposed to make it easy on the QB. Feels like they're trying to run before they learn to walk. Maybe it pays off.

• Sympathy 1