Franchise Tagged guys

If the Jets trade back from either #4 or #10 and net an extra 2nd rounder in the process, they should definitely consider flipping it for a proven veteran WR/TE like Goodwin, Williams, or Schultz where the team would rather not fork over the 2nd big contract due to salary cap and the Jets can/should swoop in with the cap room to sign said player.

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

No surprises. JD should grab Cooper, Ridley or both before they hit the open market. 

I'm in the minority but prefer to have Ridley.  Cooper has a rep for being a little lazy. Ridley is the better player right now but of course there's the mental health plus trade compensation.  Too bad Godwin is going to be franchised.

I'm in the minority but prefer to have Ridley.  Cooper has a rep for being a little lazy. Ridley is the better player right now but of course there's the mental health plus trade compensation.  Too bad Godwin is going to be franchised.

One player shows up, the other doesn’t. I’d really think twice on your definition of lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, ToonforPrez said:

Have to draft one TE now maybe even two at this rate,

All these TE's getting tagged makes you wonder if the tight ends in the draft are getting over-hyped.  If it was such a special deep group, I don't think you'd see three TE's with tags right now.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s always fun to watch peoples reactions when the inevitable players get tagged or signed and don’t hit free agency.  Did anyone actually expect these guys to hit the street? 

100%. Schultz was a dream I knew would never come true.  Just funny even getting excited about a FA before the tagging period 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

All these TE's getting tagged makes you wonder if the tight ends in the draft are getting over-hyped.  If it was such a special deep group, I don't think you'd see three TE's with tags right now.

Partly, but it's also a function of a couple of things.

1. How much it costs to franchise tag one's own veteran vs. extending him.

TE tags are really cheap, like safety last year, or often/usually how OL tags will be a savings for merely top 15-20 LTs, and high for the other four starters (a couple rare individuals notwithstanding).

Schultz would get more than the tag amount - pretty easily - as a UFA shopping himself around the league.

2. Not sure if a guy's worth a full extension. Still want to get just a little bit pregnant.

This is for Njoku. Is he worth guaranteeing >1 season? Probably not, but Cleveland can tag him for 1 more season and try to pick up a replacement after round 2 who doesn't need to start right away. 

3. TEs not definitely projected to go in round 1 without reaching.

Then adding them in the draft can't be relied upon for picking up a week 1 starter for the current season. Teams don't even know if the individual targeted TE& prospect will be there when it's their turn to pick, often leading to reaching by a round or more, or needing to trade multiple picks to move up to get one after round 1 is over, which is also sucky (especially for teams who don't have "extra" picks like the Jets). It's not like - not to beat this horse, but - a position like guard where, if you only have a backup-level placeholder & really need to add an immediate starter via the draft, a kid who played literally any position on the line in college can be a position fit for guard.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Would be easier to just list all the good players that were NOT franchised tagged:

Answer: Zero. 

Now let's go back to focusing on the draft and our 4 picks in the first 38. That is where this team will be built. Not saying we can't supplement with a few free agents, we definitely should. But you won't find too many difference makers and for now those guys aren't coming to the Jets. 

The voice of reason right here.  Well said!

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s always fun to watch peoples reactions when the inevitable players get tagged or signed and don’t hit free agency.  Did anyone actually expect these guys to hit the street? 

Have you been reading this board for the last 2 months? lol

The even crazier part is some people around here will eventually blame JD for not getting Schultze.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

As @Sperm Edwards said above, it’s more a result of the franchise tag for TEs being inexpensive. We talk about positional value a lot here, and TE is the one position that I think remains undervalued. RBs and Safeties being cheap makes sense, they’re a dime a dozen and always available. They’re basically the positions you play when you’re in the 5’10”-6’, 200 pound range, but don’t have the elite skills of a WR or CB. TE is a different animal. A lot fewer 6’4, 250lb dudes out there who can block, catch, and run. As more of these star TEs emerge, I think you’ll see their prices start to really rise. For now, tagging them if you’ve got ‘em is the smart move. It’s not surprising. 

The other problem with TEs is that they also often take longer to develop, often working with both the OL and the receiver groups. It’s a lot to learn, and can be difficult for a rookie to have an immediate impact as a result. I’m hoping JD has a Plan D, E, and F available in the FA market. 

• Upvote 3