Franchise Tagged guys

9 minutes ago, slats said:

As @Sperm Edwards said above, it’s more a result of the franchise tag for TEs being inexpensive. We talk about positional value a lot here, and TE is the one position that I think remains undervalued. RBs and Safeties being cheap makes sense, they’re a dime a dozen and always available. They’re basically the positions you play when you’re in the 5’10”-6’, 200 pound range, but don’t have the elite skills of a WR or CB. TE is a different animal. A lot fewer 6’4, 250lb dudes out there who can block, catch, and run. As more of these star TEs emerge, I think you’ll see their prices start to really rise. For now, tagging them if you’ve got ‘em is the smart move. It’s not surprising. 

The other problem with TEs is that they also often take longer to develop, often working with both the OL and the receiver groups. It’s a lot to learn, and can be difficult for a rookie to have an immediate impact as a result. I’m hoping JD has a Plan D, E, and F available in the FA market. 

I'm curious about Ricky Seals-Jones. He played reasonably well last year when Logan Thomas was hurt. Bounced around a bunch but seems like he's improved, still a young guy. Going to be a hard hole to fill though. They need to decide if they're going for a FA with upside or a safe boring older guy to hold the fort - or both and just one draft pick. But it's a pretty deep TE draft so I think they can grab one day two and one day three.

Almost has to be a camp battle position regardless though, I don't think they're going to get any certainty in the veteran market and the position group on the roster currently is a mess.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s always fun to watch peoples reactions when the inevitable players get tagged or signed and don’t hit free agency.  Did anyone actually expect these guys to hit the street? 

Going to be more fun watching all the new “Mock-Offseason” threads after Franchise tag and then the majority of those being wrong because “Jets shouldn’t/won’t” pay for X player 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

All these TE's getting tagged makes you wonder if the tight ends in the draft are getting over-hyped.  If it was such a special deep group, I don't think you'd see three TE's with tags right now.

TE is one of those position groups it can take a full season or two to really grow in to the NFL.  Teams wanting to win now generally don't want to be breaking in young blood at a key position.  They could still draft TE and be completely free after next year due to the tag and then have a second year player ready with some experience on a rookie deal.

I don't think this has much bearing on the TE draft class.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The time to be ultra-aggressive was last year. Everyone and their mom is getting tagged this year, so JD has to get creative if he wants to go outside the draft in adding talent.

But outside of that, he really should lock in Berrios and Quinnen Williams to extensions before numbers get too crazy, especially with Q.

The big cap increase has definitely freed up more space than we originally thought so teams are able to keep players we figured could be heading for FA.  Bummer.

• Upvote 2

We have 3 1st round picks between these next two years including two this year. Davonte Adams is worth 2 1sts in my opinion, and frankly any team willing to hand GB those picks has GB over a barrel because I can’t see how GB can match any valid offer Adams gets. Adams is the best WR in the league and will be for years. He’s the weapon you give a QB like Zach Wilson because it will answer all you need to know about Zach, and if the answer is obvious that Zach ain’t cutting it then you are literally the most desirable offense for a potential FA QB. So my question is this: if we were to offer up the two picks for Adams hypothetically, is t both of this years pick or 1 this and 1 next year? If it’s one and one (assuming it’s this year’s 4 overall since that is ours) my proposal is trade down from 10 to net a 1st for next year. We’d have Adams and still have a 1st this year and next. None of this Cooper nonsense, put your money where your mouth is and give Zach absolutely no excuse for failure.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

We have 3 1st round picks between these next two years including two this year. Davonte Adams is worth 2 1sts in my opinion, and frankly any team willing to hand GB those picks has GB over a barrel because I can’t see how GB can match any valid offer Adams gets. Adams is the best WR in the league and will be for years. He’s the weapon you give a QB like Zach Wilson because it will answer all you need to know about Zach, and if the answer is obvious that Zach ain’t cutting it then you are literally the most desirable offense for a potential FA QB. So my question is this: if we were to offer up the two picks for Adams hypothetically, is t both of this years pick or 1 this and 1 next year? If it’s one and one (assuming it’s this year’s 4 overall since that is ours) my proposal is trade down from 10 to net a 1st for next year. We’d have Adams and still have a 1st this year and next. None of this Cooper nonsense, put your money where your mouth is and give Zach absolutely no excuse for failure.

Handshake Reaction GIF

Seems like a no brainer to get a proven WR1 and keep building the offense, especially since they probably need to draft TE1 and TE2.  

I can’t imagine the Packers will want to piss off Rodgers, but a 1st two years in a row would have been well worth it for the best WR.   I don’t want to see that kind of trade for DK.  

4 hours ago, Snell41 said:

they had to promise Rodgers that Adams was staying. they cant go back on that. but i would do that trade if it was so. 

i also cant see someone giving us their # 1 next year to move up this year. we know this draft has no elite players. no elite QBs. next year has to be better.

• Sympathy 1

they had to promise Rodgers that Adams was staying. they cant go back on that. but i would do that trade if it was so. 
i also cant see someone giving us their # 1 next year to move up this year. we know this draft has no elite players. no elite QBs. next year has to be better.

They can promise all they want, they franchised Adams because they can’t afford a long term contract. We can, and if Adams wants it bad enough he’ll sign. It’s Adams that’s making a promise to Rodgers to stay in reality, and he’s got millions of reasons to break that promise. Unless of course Rodgers is giving up his salary for Adams.