Marcus Maye, Jamison Crowder (Jets will let him test FA), Jets Free Agents' Projected Contracts

Bronx

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2954105-marcus-maye-jamison-crowder-jets-free-agents-projected-contracts

There aren't many NFL teams in a better financial position than the New York Jets this offseason.

They have $48.8 million of available cap space, per Over the Cap, which is the fourth-most of any team in the league, putting the Jets in a good spot to upgrade their roster ahead of the 2022 campaign.

But New York may need to use some of that financial flexibility to bring back some of its key players who are hitting the free-agent market. If the Jets don't spend big on some of those standouts, they could lose them to other teams, creating more holes on their roster they would need to fill.

It's another important offseason for New York, which missed the playoffs for the 11th straight season in 2021, the longest active drought in the NFL. If other teams are willing to outbid the Jets for their free agents, it may be wise for them to seek different ways to fill those spots. Either way, they need to be smart with their resources.

Here's a closer look at the Jets' top free agents, along with the contracts they are likely to sign this offseason.

Marcus Maye

Marcus Maye has been an impact player when he's been on the field over his first five NFL seasons. However, there have been some injury concerns with the safety, who was limited to six games in 2021 after he suffered a torn Achilles tendon. He also played only six games in 2018.

Maye is only turning 29 on Wednesday, so he's likely got several productive years ahead of him. During his time with the Jets, he's recorded 312 tackles and six interceptions in 60 games.

On Sunday, ESPN's Rich Cimini wrote that some believed Maye not sign until after the 2022 NFL draft considering he's still recovering from injury. But Cimini also noted that teams already have interest in Maye and that he could sign elsewhere prior to the draft.

If that's the case, Maye could land a deal that pays him around, or more than, the average annual value of $7.4 million that Spotrac projects for him. And while he may not sign too long of a contract, he could get a deal with multiple years on it.

Projected contract: Two years, $18 million

Jamison Crowder 

Throughout his seven-year NFL career, Jamison Crowder hasn't put up huge numbers, but the wide receiver is a solid contributor who can be beneficial to an offense, especially if he's able to stay healthy for the majority of the season.

However, the 28-year-old had a down year in 2021, recording only 447 receiving yards and two touchdowns in 12 games. Now, New York will have to decide whether to try to bring back Crowder to a receiving corps that will still have Corey Davis and Elijah Moore.

Even though Crowder isn't likely to fill the role of No. 1 receiver for a team, he could have plenty of suitors because of his reliability and previous production. Spotrac projects Crowder to have an average annual value of $12.3 million, which he could reach given the state of the market.

While Crowder may not return to the Jets, he will likely get an opportunity to fill a starting role for another team. So don't be surprised if he signs a multiyear deal, potentially with a contender looking for an offensive boost.

Projected contract: Two years, $26.5 million

Morgan Moses

When a team has Morgan Moses on its roster, it knows what to expect from the 6'6", 318-pound offensive tackle. He's been a reliable presence throughout his eight-year NFL career, playing all 113 games over the past seven seasons.

Moses signed a one-year deal with New York last offseason, which proved to be a great move. He came at a bargain price of $3.6 million, and he's likely to get a much larger contract this offseason despite turning 31 on Thursday.

Spotrac is projecting Moses' average annual value to be $7.7 million. Will the Jets be willing to pay that much, or would they rather add a younger tackle during the 2022 NFL draft to pair with Mekhi Becton? That's among the decisions that New York will need to make this offseason.

If the Jets don't re-sign Moses, another team should sign him to fill a starting tackle role. And his recent production warrants more than the one-year deal he signed last offseason.

Projected contract: Two years, $18.5 million

Marcus will get us a comp pick. 

he’ll sign elsewhere with a contender (he’s older, wants to win now, and will get a solid contract when fully healthy again) 

let him walk and draft Cine, Brisker (PSU), Joseph (u Illinois), Cook (Cincy), even Pitre (Baylor) and we’d get just as much production.  My 2¢

• Upvote 1

Maye - Yes, resign.  Rather spend cash than a draft pick on Safety.  He's a more than adequate Safety, without the drama and headcase'ness of our last Safety.

Crowder - No.  Let him walk.  I've always liked Crowder, but we need to do better at WR than the Mims and Crowders and Coles of the world.  Crowder is unreliable now.  And WR is my overall #1 need for this team in 2022.

Moses - Yes, resign.  More O-line and better O-line, the better, and while he may be on the downside of his career, he's likely better than most alternatives.

• Upvote 2

As always, depends on the $ and years they want.  All three would be "hold the fort" guys for the Jets...so likely JD will only offer one year deals.  Only Moses might be a bit of a priority to bring back.

If the Jets are especially sour on Becton right now, they might offer Moses a two year deal.  But, I really hope they draft a good young OT this year (not necessarily in the first round, though).

Unless the market for them is way drier than expected, they're not bringing back any of the 3.

The only one I think they'd really like to bring back is Crowder, and he's surely harboring some resentment to the Jets' FO after the team squeezed him well after the draft. But with the prospect of losing Berrios, Cole already a FA (and underwhelming), and 

More than a great player, Moses was a great pickup considering the unexpected need for him to be out there for >16 games. I'd still welcome re-signing him myself (devil you know, and all that), but the truth is they could get by with someone far less $. But since Fant & Becton both are proven LT starters they really only need a RT backup not necessarily a swing tackle who can play the left side.

Maye's bridge has been burned in both directions. His off-field bs, plus he gets injured every year (and isn't really that great anyway) has probably soured the team on him. Vice versa, he's likely still pissed he got tagged without an extension, and now will hit untagged FA a year older after coming off a weak + injured partial season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

We should sign Moses and draft a prospect to be molded at a later round. 

I have thought about this for a while now, and I don't believe the Jets should keep Moses.  

My thought is that Fant has played well enough to earn the starting spot at left tackle, and the Jets have too much invested in Becton, where he should start at right tackle.  Paying Moses $7.7 million per year for 2 years to sit on the bench is not productive; thus, the Jets should not do it.  When the Jets payed him 3.8 M for 1 year, it was a no-brainer, but the times have changed.  Unless of course, the Jets plan to move on from Becton, which I don't see right now.

As for Marcus Maye, he is currently not worth $9 M per year for 2 years,  since we don't know what his recovery will be like, and we don't know what kind of player he will be once he is healthy.  I would pay him 1 year for $9 M, but not for 2 years, which is what he probably will receive.   As far as Crowder is concerned, I love him, but not at $13 M per year.  He's just not productive enough for that type of money.  If the Jets could get him for $8 M per year, I would jump on him.

The Jets will and should get a high end wide receiver in either free agency or at #10 in the draft, if not in both free agency and the draft.  Draft a safety in the 3rd or 4th round. and if we get Ekwonu at #4, then Moses is truly persona non grata, since Ekwonu can play both right guard and right tackle if need be.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

As for Marcus Maye, he is currently not worth $9 M per year for 2 years,  since we don't know what his recovery will be like, and we don't know what kind of player he will be once he is healthy.  I would pay him 1 year for $9 M, but not for 2 years, which is what he probably will receive.   As far as Crowder is concerned, I love him, but not at $13 M per year.  He's just not productive enough for that type of money.  If the Jets could get him for $8 M per year, I would jump on him.

Maye signing for two year is a benefit for the team not him. The second year would be a team option. So it's either sign a one year $7M or two years $18M (or 9M annually). So it's a trade off in earning more money in which the team gets control of exercising the backend years. This is something similar we did with Sheldon Rankins who signed a two year deal, however he may get cut 5 days into the calendar year to not guarantee year two. 

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

no one is going to pay crowder 13 million a year.

Conversely, no Free Agent who cares about winning, or their own personal stats if they play on Offense, is going to come to the Jets.

At least not without a massive overpayment to make it worth their while.

• Upvote 1

I don't pretend to be an expert on contracts - but if the general consensus is if a 29 year old safety coming off an achilles tear and facing a DUI is going to make $9mm per year, a 29 year old slot QB is going to make $13.25mm per year (or what Corey Davis made), and a 31 year old tackle is going to make 9.25mm per year... than I can only imagine Mike Maccagnan is working as a consultant for 32 teams. 

Maybe Moses gets close - but I would bet the contracts for May and Crowder are closer to half that than what this report says. 

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Maye signing for two year is a benefit for the team not him. The second year would be a team option. So it's either sign a one year $7M or two years $18M (or 9M annually). So it's a trade off in earning more money in which the team gets control of exercising the backend years. This is something similar we did with Sheldon Rankins who signed a two year deal, however he may get cut 5 days into the calendar year to not guarantee year two. 

He might get a 2nd year not fully guaranteed but it’s just for injury. Thing is with him, like with Enunwa, it’s almost guaranteed to turn into a full guarantee lol. Or could be half the 2nd year guaranteed one type or the other (often it’s not full guaranteed seasons).

It doesn’t seem like either party is interested in the other. 

$13.5M a year for Crowder?  In what universe?

He had to take a major pay cut to around $5.5M last year, because he knew he wasn't getting any more than that on the open market,

But now he's apparently worth an extra $8M a year - who is paying him that?

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Conversely, no Free Agent who cares about winning, or their own personal stats if they play on Offense, is going to come to the Jets.

At least not without a massive overpayment to make it worth their while.

Good thing we are building this through the draft and have more picks then anyone else in the league.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

48 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Gotcha!

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Makes complete sense to bring back a guy who coming off an achillies tear and facing a suspension. I wish you were our GM.

If you are the gm we never retain any talent and fill out the roster with cheap fa signings and hit or miss drast kicks to be 6-11 forever 

Just now, The Crusher said:

Think we would have already did something if they were interested in bringing him back. its beyond obvious at this point they are not. 

I can't figure out why Joe Douglas didn't jump all over Maye in the offseason. Maye has played for 5 seasons and has missed 10-11 games in two of those seasons. He also hid a DUI arrest which shows great character. Guys coming off achilies tears are known for bouncing back right away. Why didn't JD sign this guy for three years with $36 million guaranteed?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

If you are the gm we never retain any talent and fill out the roster with cheap fa signings and hit or miss drast kicks to be 6-11 forever 

Is that what you think Kevy Kevs? 

Believe me that I do not want any "miss drast kicks" on this team, and I don't know what led you to believe that I would.

Random but topical, the Jets' rookie pool is $19.4M with the two high picks. That's not dollar for dollar hitting the cap, but would reduce effective space by $13.1M. They're not in a bad cap situation by any means, but also don't have a lot of guys to cut. Think this is going to be a relatively quiet free agency period - which would be consistent with what's happened recently.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I can't figure out why Joe Douglas didn't jump all over Maye in the offseason. Maye has played for 5 seasons and has missed 10-11 games in two of those seasons. He also hid a DUI arrest which shows great character. Guys coming off achilies tears are known for bouncing back right away. Why didn't JD sign this guy for three years with $36 million guaranteed?

Thank you Joe Douglas thank you?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Crowder is gone.  We simply don’t need any more slot receivers on this team.  Davis and Moore both can play the slot well and are probably even best there.

Maye burned his bridges here and wont be back.  I also strongly suspect someone will pay well above 9mil per season for his services, despite the AC tear.  He was a top 10, borderline top 5 safety before last season (where there was a coaching/scheme change).  He will want a long term, get paid salary.

It would be really nice to bring Moses back.  JD will have to study the medical on Becton very carefully, b/c it is playing with fire a bit.  Having said that, bringing Moses back does hurt the cap significantly and limits what he can do in terms of big name FAs. 

8 hours ago, section314 said:

FWIW.......in 23 games, Ashtyn Davis has 98 tackles and 2 INT's. Project that over 60 games, which is what Maye has played, and you have basically the same player. Maye can't seriously be in their plans.

much as davis is getting better he still takes the wrong line and doesn't always react fast enough.  i think the 98 tackles is deceiving because i'll hazard that a lot of them are further down field than the ones maye made.  not that i want the jets to re sign maye but they're not the same player.