NFL informs teams 2022 salary cap is set at $208.2 million

NFL informs teams 2022 salary cap is set at $208.2 million

The NFL informed its 32 teams on Monday that the salary cap for the 2022 season has been set at $208.2 million, according to a memo obtained by ESPN.

It marks a significant increase from the 2021 cap, which was set at $182.5 million per team because of projected revenue for last season and lost revenue during the 2020 season because of the COVID-19 pandemic. That figure was a drop from the 2020 salary cap, which was set at $198.2 million.

The league also set the amounts for 2022 franchise tags on Monday. Quarterbacks who receive a nonexclusive franchise tag before Tuesday's 4 p.m. ET deadline will receive $29.703 million for the 2022 season if they can't agree to a long-term contract by July 15, the deadline for franchised players to agree to long-term deals.

The other tag amounts:

• Running backs: $9.570 million

• Wide receivers: $18.419 million

• Tight ends: $10.931 million

• Offensive linemen: $16.662 million

• Defensive ends: $17.859 million

• Defensive tackles: $17.396 million

• Linebackers: $18.702 million

• Cornerbacks: $17.287 million

• Safeties: $12.911 million

• Kickers and punters: $5.22 million

Teams must be at or under the salary cap by 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 16, which is the official start of the 2022 league year.

Teams can begin negotiating with unrestricted free agents beginning on Monday, March 14 at noon ET. Contracts can't be signed, however, until the new league year begins.

how can OL get less then the entire defense except safeties? from what i hear on this board there more important than anyone, maybe even the QB. LOL

but thats about right where they should be. the way NFL teams value them. right in front of the Safeties, TEs and RBs. 

2 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Due LBers make more on the Tag than DEs due to Moseley’s contract #? Do 3-4 DEs bring down the annual value when compared to a 4-3 DE?

46 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Surprised that the LB number is 18M+.  I'd like to see the OL broken down but I guess IOL never get tagged, only LT or RT on the Oline.

Khalil Mack and Von Miller have a lot to do with that. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Awesome this ensures that the Jets can continue their long-term plan of paying ABSOLUTELY NOBODY

That’s unfair, we have paid plenty of people, every season, who are either on IR or are no longer in the league. Smart guy. 

9 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Surprised that the LB number is 18M+.  I'd like to see the OL broken down but I guess IOL never get tagged, only LT or RT on the Oline.

they are probably labeling edge rusher as LBs in some of these contracts.  which would drive that value up quite a bit. 

• Upvote 1