New York Jets 'ready to strike' in trade market to help Zach Wilson

Bronx

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This again.  My goodness.  We have tons of draft picks to get Zach weapons.

I cannot wait till the draft is over and we can be done w/ these delusions of grandeur that Joe Douglas is trading for guys like Davonte Adams.

Garrett Wilson, Trey McBride and a stud rb in round 2 or 3 will be the weapons we add for zach.

You spewed this same garbage about Calvin Ridley who we know Douglas actually wanted to trade for. Listen to what your GM is telling you.

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

Snatch Cooper for a 4th or 5th and draft a WR between 10-39; drafting Sauce at #4 (I jumped on this wagon). 

no one is trading for Cooper since everyone knows the Cowboys have to part ways with him. Why assume a 20 mil salary when you can grab him after he's been dumped and work out your own deal? Either way Cooper is nothing special he's a good WR not great and not the Number 1 type we need

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

no one is trading for Cooper since everyone knows the Cowboys have to part ways with him. Why assume a 20 mil salary when you can grab him after he's been dumped and work out your own deal? Either way Cooper is nothing special he's a good WR not great and not the Number 1 type we need

I partially agree that we shouldn't eat his contract. However, he would immediately be our #1. If he gets released, we would probably lose the chance of acquiring him.

He is a good player per below:

This past season, Cooper hauled in 68 of his 104 targets for 865 yards and eight touchdowns. Despite not being able to extend his three-season streak of 1,000 yards receiving, Cooper should expect to have a sizable market whenever he is released by the Cowboys. Cooper will also be able to sign with a new team immediately, even if this release comes prior to the start of the new league year

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

bro

If he's inquiring that means he's looking at making these type of deals you keeps insisting he has no interest in. Stop the madness.

All that says is Connor Hughes is reporting Joe Douglas called the Falcons.  That means nothing.  If he offered anything, it could have been a 6th round pick.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Again, we will sign mid tier guys like we did last year.  Blockbuster trades for Adams and Metcalf are never, ever happening.  A few mid tier free agents plus a killer draft, this team will be much better next year.

2023 is the year Douglas and Saleh have circled on their calendar so going all in is not in the cards this year.

I like your thinking. Does this mean we are getting Robbie back? I really don’t want him but it would be entertainment for a few days.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Right because the Bills getting Diggs had nothing to do with making Josh Allen a star

Silly

Yep! Noticeable difference in Josh Allen. All of a sudden his accuracy issues were fixed. That being said, that’s more the exception than the rule. But yeah, if you had a chance to get a true #1 like that you should be fired if you don’t do it. But, doesn’t mean a sweet deal like that is always there. 

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Ridley’s situation sucks but there is still DK, Jeudy, Cooks, etc. who have had their names mentioned as potential trade options. It’s going to be interesting to see how JD handles the WR spot - I don’t know if the draft is the right way to go, Wilson is the only guy who I think truly gets considered as 10

Ridley situation may be a blessing is disguise since he had some mental/baggage issues that teams always say we talked to him and everything is fine. Tell that to the Bucs who if Brown doesn't walk out in the game we played them maybe they win another SB.  

6 hours ago, Bronx said:

New York Jets 'ready to strike' in trade market to help Zach Wilson

https://es.pn/3CnV13W
via @ESPN Fantasy App
https://es.pn/fantasyapp

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- When it comes to protecting his draft picks, New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas reminds me of Ben Stiller's character in the movie "Meet the Parents" -- specifically, the airplane scene in which Greg Focker snaps at a flight attendant who wants him to check his luggage.

"If you can get it from my kung-fu grip, then you can come and have it, OK?" he says, clutching the bag intensely against his chest.

Douglas has made 15 player trades in two-plus years on the job, not once parting with anything higher than a sixth-round selection. Yeah, he's had a vice-like grip on those picks.

Is this the year that it changes?

"If the right opportunity presents itself in the trade market," he said last week at the scouting combine, "we're ready to strike."

Sources say Douglas appears more willing than ever to make a bold trade, perhaps because he's under more pressure to win. He certainly has dropped plenty of hints since the end of the season, mentioning the team's deep draft portfolio (nine picks, including five in the first three rounds) and financial flexibility.

In other words, the Jets have the ammo to pull off a big deal. Whether they do it depends on how they view themselves.

The Jets are a tweener team, stuck somewhere between starting over and being "one piece away." They're actually closer to the former, coming off a 4-13 season, but there's no law that says a stage-two rebuilding team can't import a quality veteran. Player and position are the keys.

If they can acquire a player who helps second-year quarterback Zach Wilson -- paging wide receivers -- it absolutely makes sense to do a deal. Wilson's development is priority No. 1 for the organization, which has hitched its future to the former BYU star, whose rookie year (55.6 completion percentage, nine passing TDs in 13 starts) was underwhelming. This is why it's paying close attention to the receiver market.

A blue-chip receiver can make a huge difference. In 2020, the Buffalo Bills acquired Stefon Diggs in a blockbuster trade, sending their 2020 first-round pick and three Day 3 choices to the Minnesota Vikings. Diggs responded with an All-Pro season, helping to elevate quarterback Josh Allen and leading the Bills to the AFC Championship Game.

But those 2020 Bills, coming off a 10-6 season and wild-card appearance, were in a far better place than the '22 Jets. For the Bills, Diggs was that one player.

With four picks in the top 38, the Jets could find a top-shelf receiver in the draft, perhaps Garrett Wilson or Chris Olave from Ohio State, Treylon Burks from Arkansas or Drake London from USC. But there's a learning curve with a rookie and Wilson needs the help now, which makes the veteran market so intriguing for the Jets.

Coach Robert Saleh called it a "fine balance." You can find instant impact from the draft, but Saleh says 2021 rookie stars such as Ja'Marr Chase and Jaylen Waddle were anomalies for the Cincinnati Bengals and Miami Dolphins, respectively. Normally, it takes two or three years for a receiver to hit his full stride, he said.

"Then you look at what the Rams did, purchasing developed players already, but those guys come with a premium," Saleh said. "Buffalo did it with Stefon Diggs. You buy it at a premium, but are you at that point where you can make that jump because of the amount of things we have to get done as an organization to be able to put ourselves in those positions where it’s one or two players away? So there’s a balance."

Saleh raises a valid point -- clearly, the Jets are more than one or two players away -- but, again, it goes back to the quarterback. If Douglas finds a trade that can help accelerate Wilson's development, do it. It's called protecting your biggest investment.

Several veteran receivers are rumored to be on the trading block, including Amari Cooper (Dallas Cowboys), Robby Anderson (Carolina Panthers) and Jarvis Landry (Cleveland Browns). Each one is coming off a down year, but they're all under 30 with proven track records.

Cooper is expected to be released, which would mean no trade compensation but a big contract. Calvin Ridley (Atlanta Falcons) would've been an intriguing option, but he was suspended for at least the 2022 season for betting on games in 2021, the NFL announced Monday.

For Douglas, it comes down to a cost-value judgment if an opportunity arises.

There are mitigating factors when it comes to evaluating receivers, so don't get caught up in the stats. In 2015, former Jets GM Mike Maccagnan bought low on receiver Brandon Marshall, who had a subpar 2014. They got him for a fifth-round pick from the Chicago Bears, and Marshall responded with 109 catches and 1,502 yards, both franchise records.

Non-receivers reportedly available in trades are Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence and New York Giants cornerback James Bradberry. Both are need positions for the Jets, but it's buyer beware because they can address those areas in the draft for a lot less money.

The Jets will be a fascinating team to watch over the next few weeks because their moves -- and non-moves -- will say a lot about how they view themselves and how much heat Douglas is feeling to get it turned around.

"We're going to get this team better," he said, "any avenue we can."

We read this every year but neither signing big ticket FAs or using high value draft picks on trades do not seem to really be in JDs DNA. Cooper might ultimately be a good target but he would not have the impact of Diggs or Hopkins. He is probably at the very bottom of all quote/unquote #1 receivers and he has long periods of completely disappearing. He could really underwhelm. I think I might rather bring RA back and double dip in FA. Robbie is far from a #1 but he would make the overall group better as you have to respect him deep and he is more complete than he was when he was here

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

His contract is heavy but otherwise team friendly because the Cowboys have already paid out the guaranteed portion of his contract. The 2022 salary guarantees March 20, but the last two years of his deal are not guaranteed. So it's a short deal with a lot of flexibility. And because the Cowboys are planning to part ways, the draft capital to acquire him should be pretty low. Figure it's effectively paying him $20M this year followed by two one year options for $20M. Team acquiring him is paying the draft pick for a short-term upgrade at WR, they've got an easy out with no dead money if they don't want him past the year, and if they do then they have him signed.

Downside to letting the Cowboys release him is twofold. One, there will be a market - and it'll be larger than the trade market because teams can spread a bonus payment over his contract to reduce the 2022 cap hit. So teams would risk losing him. The second is that it's very possible a new deal for Cooper, unless it's a one year prove it kind of thing, would contain more guaranteed money than the $20M he'd be guaranteed this year. And that comes with a little more long-term risk to bringing him in/less flexibility. I guess the distinction would be if he's viewed more like JuJu Smith-Schuster was last offseason and his market really won't be very good and he might have to settle for a prove it deal - but I'd think at 27 with his track record he'll do better.

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more trade talk, but teams may be waiting to see who gets tagged before going too far. Teams have to be under the cap by 3/16 so it's a pretty small group that could acquire him without absorbing almost all of their cap space before free agency - only teams that would have more than $10M in cap space after trading for him would be the Commanders (doubt Cowboys trade him in division), Seahawks (no real WR need), Bengals (no real WR need), Colts, Jets, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Chargers. Four of the last five I'd think will be in the WR market - they may not feel he's worth it but I'd guess if he gets traded it's to one of those teams. Cap space to make it work, Jones gets to keep him out of the NFC, all could use a WR and for three of those teams they have a young QB to support.

We also don't know who's going to hit free agency, but it's possible the premier wide receivers on the market are guys like Allen Robinson, DJ Chark, and Christian Kirk who are either possibly on the downswing of their careers or haven't fully broken out yet and teams are going to have to pay a decent salary (I've seen Chark and Kirk projected similarly to Corey Davis). And lots of teams have WR needs so there should be a lot of competition, and for one year guys who want to rebuild value plenty of teams have better quarterback situations and should be more appealing. 

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Last year's big WR signings were guys like Fuller/Kenny Golladay/Samuel. They all sucked.  Making a big splash in free agency isn't always a good thing. Elijah Moore is a far better player than those guys. 

It's always better to find playmakers in the draft. The really good playmakers don't become free agents. 

Agree a zillion percent. Big FA signings do work occassionally but the failures are far far more frequent and they become boar anchors to the team. Just look at recent Jet history with this. I know most everyone wants defense in the draft, but I would still prioritize offense in a big way, and try and trade down from 4. The top end of the draft is meh for elite prospects but middle to late first and early second is just loaded try to turn our 4 picks in first two rounds to 6 and we should get 3 to 4 additional foundational players. KT will likely be at 4, it only requires 1 team to get a good haul there, and 10 is the logical place to come up for QB in this draft.

It would be really frustrating to watch something like this happen after we watched the Patriots spend big money last off season, surround their rookie QB with talent, watch him look so much better than our QB, make the playoffs, and then beat us out for FA's this off season who we could really us to help our 2nd QB out.

Joe Douglas has to go out this off season and surround Zach with talent, and not just in the draft. Gotta get some proven players.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/08/amari-cooper-could-land-with-patriots-when-released-by-cowboys/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Who are the likely trade candidates, and can they be gotten without overpaying?

The Jets used the 6 pick on Jamal Adams and look what they got back?  Maybe the Broncos think they can get 10 back for Jeudy?  FV is probably 35 or 38.  

The Bills got lucky with Diggs.  The closest thing to that is Cooper.  JD should throw a 3rd at Dallas to make that happen, and overpay in salary (which is ok since they are saving draft picks).  There is no other way they are going to get better pass catchers for Wilson.  Crowder can catch and is being allowed to leave.  As is Cole.  Godwin will get signed.  The TEs will get franchised.  Anybody brought in by trade or FA will be bad value.  But that is what you have to do.  

Dallas pretty much HAS to cut Cooper. A 6th or 7th or conditional pick next year is all that he will be worth in a trade.

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Dallas pretty much HAS to cut Cooper. A 6th or 7th or conditional pick next year is all that he will be worth in a trade.

Then give them a 5th and keep him overpaid by 3 million a year to keep him out of free agency.  

First see what shakes free in free agency though.  

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

I partially agree that we shouldn't eat his contract. However, he would immediately be our #1. If he gets released, we would probably lose the chance of acquiring him.

He is a good player per below:

This past season, Cooper hauled in 68 of his 104 targets for 865 yards and eight touchdowns. Despite not being able to extend his three-season streak of 1,000 yards receiving, Cooper should expect to have a sizable market whenever he is released by the Cowboys. Cooper will also be able to sign with a new team immediately, even if this release comes prior to the start of the new league year

yes he will be our number one "probably" and that's not saying much . There's a reason Dallas wants to just dump him some salary some the player himself.

32 minutes ago, derp said:

His contract is heavy but otherwise team friendly because the Cowboys have already paid out the guaranteed portion of his contract. The 2022 salary guarantees March 20, but the last two years of his deal are not guaranteed. So it's a short deal with a lot of flexibility. And because the Cowboys are planning to part ways, the draft capital to acquire him should be pretty low. Figure it's effectively paying him $20M this year followed by two one year options for $20M. Team acquiring him is paying the draft pick for a short-term upgrade at WR, they've got an easy out with no dead money if they don't want him past the year, and if they do then they have him signed.

Downside to letting the Cowboys release him is twofold. One, there will be a market - and it'll be larger than the trade market because teams can spread a bonus payment over his contract to reduce the 2022 cap hit. So teams would risk losing him. The second is that it's very possible a new deal for Cooper, unless it's a one year prove it kind of thing, would contain more guaranteed money than the $20M he'd be guaranteed this year. And that comes with a little more long-term risk to bringing him in/less flexibility. I guess the distinction would be if he's viewed more like JuJu Smith-Schuster was last offseason and his market really won't be very good and he might have to settle for a prove it deal - but I'd think at 27 with his track record he'll do better.

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more trade talk, but teams may be waiting to see who gets tagged before going too far. Teams have to be under the cap by 3/16 so it's a pretty small group that could acquire him without absorbing almost all of their cap space before free agency - only teams that would have more than $10M in cap space after trading for him would be the Commanders (doubt Cowboys trade him in division), Seahawks (no real WR need), Bengals (no real WR need), Colts, Jets, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Chargers. Four of the last five I'd think will be in the WR market - they may not feel he's worth it but I'd guess if he gets traded it's to one of those teams. Cap space to make it work, Jones gets to keep him out of the NFC, all could use a WR and for three of those teams they have a young QB to support.

We also don't know who's going to hit free agency, but it's possible the premier wide receivers on the market are guys like Allen Robinson, DJ Chark, and Christian Kirk who are either possibly on the downswing of their careers or haven't fully broken out yet and teams are going to have to pay a decent salary (I've seen Chark and Kirk projected similarly to Corey Davis). And lots of teams have WR needs so there should be a lot of competition, and for one year guys who want to rebuild value plenty of teams have better quarterback situations and should be more appealing. 

I see what you are saying contract wise but that should be a telling sign. ..no ? If no one is willing to part ways with a crappy draft pick they either don't like the contract or more telling don't like the player. I think its the Latter. He was surrounded by loads of talent in Dallas and was not a consistent contributor nor was he the focal point. Now he comes to the Jets where he is the Focal point and everything changes you can bet on that. Its not just all about stats yes he had 4 1000 yard seasons but can he be counted on vs big time defenses or for that matter playoff caliber defenses ? I think the answer to that is no

16 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I see what you are saying contract wise but that should be a telling sign. ..no ? If no one is willing to part ways with a crappy draft pick they either don't like the contract or more telling don't like the player. I think its the Latter. He was surrounded by loads of talent in Dallas and was not a consistent contributor nor was he the focal point. Now he comes to the Jets where he is the Focal point and everything changes you can bet on that. Its not just all about stats yes he had 4 1000 yard seasons but can he be counted on vs big time defenses or for that matter playoff caliber defenses ? I think the answer to that is no

Yeah, it's very possible teams don't like Cooper. But I do think teams would for stuff like the Williams deal, Godwin getting franchised, etc before they make that move. And the Cowboys' leverage in negotiations goes down the closer they get to needing to cut him so I'd think any trade would happen this weekend or during the tampering period. The Cowboys also may think they can gain negotiations once teams realize who they miss out on during the tampering window. Not the right time for anyone to make the trade happen how.

I guess, for all the "he's not good enough" Cooper gets here - Mike Williams just got an extension for the exact same years and money as Cooper's current deal ($3/60M), just with double the guaranteed money ($20M this season for Cooper, $40M for Williams) and he didn't hit open free agency. Williams has been a #2 across from Keenan Allen his entire career, just had his second 1,000 yard season and second season over 800 yards in five years, whereas Cooper's been over 1,000 yards in five of his seven seasons. They've had similar best years too - 79/1189/8 for Cooper and 76/1146/9 for Williams. Not saying Cooper is better but I think basically everything you said for Cooper goes for Williams too, that just seems to be the going rate for a very good 1000 yard type receiver with where the cap is.

For the Jets I don't think it's about getting a guy who's an elite wideout either. It's more getting someone who you know can and will produce, will run the right routes, etc - purely for Wilson's development. There's a big difference between defenses needing to account for Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, and Jamison Crowder and needing to account for Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, and Amari Cooper in my opinion. Cooper's a guy who is a little more explosive, requires a little more attention, knows how to be a pro. I think adding someone like him doesn't transform the offense like Ja'Marr Chase did for the Bengals - but it gives Wilson three legitimate options to throw to who will run the right routes and makes it easier for him to try to identify pre-snap mismatches (because there might actually be one with those three), go through reads, try to find the open guy, trust his pass catchers, etc. Important for a pivotal year of development if nothing else. Doesn't have to be Cooper, but I think the list of guys who they can be pretty confident could fill that role is pretty short.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Of course he does.  Thats why hes taking garrett wilson at 10 in the draft.

Davis, Moore, Wilson, Berrios and McBride.

Watchout!!!!

Get Davis’ worthless a$$ out of the top spot. Dude is king jag 

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

Garrett Wilson has a comp of Stephon Diggs. So if you draft him, you are in essence getting Stephon Diggs.

The Bills also could have drafted Jefferson and still had the three other picks they traded to the Bills.