Patriots moving on from Kyle Van Noy with eye on ex-Jet Robby Anderson

New England is parting ways with a longtime Patriot.

The organization has released linebacker Kyle Van Noy, ESPN’s Field Yates reported Monday, a year after rejoining the team following a one-season stint in Miami.

Van Noy was set to be a $7.4 million hit against the cap for 2022, per Over the Cap. With his release, the Patriots clear $4.9 million in cap space with $2.4 million in dead money.

He can sign with another team immediately.

Originally drafted No. 40 overall by the Lions in 2014, Van Noy was traded to the Patriots in 2016 and played for New England through the 2019 season. He signed a four-year, $51 million contract with the Dolphins in March 2020, but was released a year later.

Van Noy finished the 2021 season with 66 tackles, five sacks, and an interception. He will turn 31 later this month.

While the Patriots move on from one veteran, they also appear to be setting their sights on a familiar face.

According to The Athletic, New England called the Panthers about wide receiver Robby Anderson, who spent the first four seasons of his career as a Jet. He signed a two-year deal with Carolina in April 2020 for $20 million.

This isn’t the first time the Patriots have eyed up Anderson, who finished his sixth NFL season with 53 receptions for 519 yards and five touchdowns. In November, Anderson revealed how Patriots coach Bill Belichick tried to lure him to New England.

“Last year when I was in free agency, when he tried to get me to sign there, he was like ‘I’m tired of scheming against you. I’m tired of going against you,’” Anderson said, per USA Today.

Well, if at first you don’t succeed, in the Patriots’ case, try again.

So we are to believe that belechik actually had that conversation with Robbie? What scheme? If he runs a post you can triple team him but he probably comes down with the ball. If he runs an out or slant it is either a pick or drop because he does not fight for a ball. If an idiot like me figures that out in 2 minutes your telling me bellichek said that? Good lord some of these guys.

6 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

New England is parting ways with a longtime Patriot.

The organization has released linebacker Kyle Van Noy, ESPN’s Field Yates reported Monday, a year after rejoining the team following a one-season stint in Miami.

Van Noy was set to be a $7.4 million hit against the cap for 2022, per Over the Cap. With his release, the Patriots clear $4.9 million in cap space with $2.4 million in dead money.

He can sign with another team immediately.

Originally drafted No. 40 overall by the Lions in 2014, Van Noy was traded to the Patriots in 2016 and played for New England through the 2019 season. He signed a four-year, $51 million contract with the Dolphins in March 2020, but was released a year later.

Van Noy finished the 2021 season with 66 tackles, five sacks, and an interception. He will turn 31 later this month.

While the Patriots move on from one veteran, they also appear to be setting their sights on a familiar face.

According to The Athletic, New England called the Panthers about wide receiver Robby Anderson, who spent the first four seasons of his career as a Jet. He signed a two-year deal with Carolina in April 2020 for $20 million.

This isn’t the first time the Patriots have eyed up Anderson, who finished his sixth NFL season with 53 receptions for 519 yards and five touchdowns. In November, Anderson revealed how Patriots coach Bill Belichick tried to lure him to New England.

“Last year when I was in free agency, when he tried to get me to sign there, he was like ‘I’m tired of scheming against you. I’m tired of going against you,’” Anderson said, per USA Today.

Well, if at first you don’t succeed, in the Patriots’ case, try again.

Perfect match,  WR that can only go long and a QB that mostly throws 10 to 15 yard passes. 

Make the deal Bill. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Perfect match,  WR that can only go long and a QB that mostly throws 10 to 15 yard passes. 

Make the deal Bill. 

He had 95 catches two years ago. If what you said was true, he would have had 10,000 receiving yds that year.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh, he can carch short passes, he just has no RAC skills unless you consider running out of bounds a good thing

Well. I agree. He's  not a feature type receiver. I do think he would would be a valuable member of a receiving core. Someone who you could rotate in and out, depending on coverages 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Trotter said:

So we are to believe that belechik actually had that conversation with Robbie? What scheme? If he runs a post you can triple team him but he probably comes down with the ball. If he runs an out or slant it is either a pick or drop because he does not fight for a ball. If an idiot like me figures that out in 2 minutes your telling me bellichek said that? Good lord some of these guys.

When I said Good Lord some of these guys - I was referring to Robbie Anderson. I was not referring to the original poster. Just want to put that out there in case it is interpreted that way.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, Trotter said:

Obviously fake. I read here many times that there was no Jet player that worried an opposing defense in any way.  ;-)