Jump to content

So who now?


Shelbyblue
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Free agency hasn’t started. The league year hadn’t started. None of those guys were going to really be available.

Yes but there were a few franchise tags that were kinda a surprise and the qb move shakes up the draft a little.

Burt yes March 16, Buckle up and get ready to be disappointed 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wouldn't rule out a trade for Tyler Lockett. Jets really thought they had a chance at Calvin Ridley. Given what has gone down today, Lockett likely becomes the top option who is realistically available on the trade market. One of our 2's for Lockett and a 4 is realistic. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, football guy said:

Wouldn't rule out a trade for Tyler Lockett. Jets really thought they had a chance at Calvin Ridley. Given what has gone down today, Lockett likely becomes the top option who is realistically available on the trade market. One of our 2's for Lockett and a 4 is realistic. 

Are you of the opinion that the jets’ preference is to go defense 2x in round 1 and sign/trade for a veteran wr rather than draft someone like wilson at 10 or london, if they traded out of 10?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd be looking hard at Amari Cooper for a 5th before this kicks off.

 

In no particular order:

WR - Berrios

DT - Fatukasi

G - Laken Tomlinson/James Daniels

C - Bozeman/Jensen

S - Marcus Williams/Justin Reid

LB - Foyesade Oulukun

TE - OJ Howard

WR - DJ Chark

Edge - Zadarius Smith

 

 

 

On same page with you on edge......not that we won't draft one, but it could possibly free up using the first round picks to do so. As far as TE goes, convinced we draft at least one. The reason I like Engram...if Njoku was a potential target, interesting career comparisons so far. Same draft 2017...Njoku   65 games, 148 receptions, 1754 yards 15 TD's.. Engram   65 games, 262 receptions, 2824 yards, 16 TD's. I know Cleveland situation was not optimal for him, but can anybodt think of a worse situation the last few years than the Giants?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd be looking hard at Amari Cooper for a 5th before this kicks off.

 

In no particular order:

WR - Berrios

DT - Fatukasi

G - Laken Tomlinson/James Daniels

C - Bozeman/Jensen

S - Marcus Williams/Justin Reid

LB - Foyesade Oulukun

TE - OJ Howard

WR - DJ Chark

Edge - Zadarius Smith

 

 

 

This seems like it makes the most sense 👍🏾

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Free agency hasn’t started. The league year hadn’t started. None of those guys were going to really be available.

Yep, it’s a NY staple  just like. 
 

AAA323B7-A158-44D1-BA4C-5868A34A7F06.gif

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Make Davonte Adams the highest paid receiver in the league. Give up our 4 and next years 1 to do so. Trade down from 10 and net a pick in next years 1st and we’d still have a 1st in both rounds along with the best receiver in the league. If you believe in Zach this is a no brainer. If you don’t believe in Zach this will expose him, because if he can’t succeed with Adams/Davis/Moore as his receivers then he just sucks and now everyone would know. If he does suck we will have the most attractive offense for a FA QB to step into and win. Packers can’t match an offer after giving Rodgers 25% of their entire cap per season.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, section314 said:

A few guys I could see here.......

1) Berrios back

2) Evan Engram

3) Carlton Davis

4) Chandler Jones

Also, would keep an eye on the Jarvis Landry situation.

Isn’t Landry exclusively a slot guy?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, football guy said:

Wouldn't rule out a trade for Tyler Lockett. Jets really thought they had a chance at Calvin Ridley. Given what has gone down today, Lockett likely becomes the top option who is realistically available on the trade market. One of our 2's for Lockett and a 4 is realistic. 

I don’t think his contract is too bad, but I don’t really think I’d be excited about a Lockett trade tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Are you of the opinion that the jets’ preference is to go defense 2x in round 1 and sign/trade for a veteran wr rather than draft someone like wilson at 10 or london, if they traded out of 10?

My opinion differs a little bit from what I think the Jets plan is.

I would improve the OL via FA to the best of my ability—even if I had to pay a premium—by signing veteran OL + make Zach Ertz an offer he can’t refuse in FA, and sign a few veteran DBs. I get overspending is considered weak in front office circles, but you have to read the room… it’s OK to overspend on the right players. For instance, Maccagnan was mocked for how he went about the CJ Mosley negotiations, and while a lot of unlucky things happened since, the guy is truly an elite player who is worth the money when on the field. You couldn’t foresee the groin injury or the Covid opt-out which is unfortunate, but when signing him he never had any real injury problems, a team leader, and a stud on the field… worth the money. I can credit Maccagnan for that single transaction while being critical of countless others. Finding a balance is what’s most important. Not every deal is going to work out, but it’s a matter of taking calculated risks (also, it’s worth pointing out that this year’s overpay is next years fair deal in the current salary cap landscap…)

Then my draft plan would be to load up on defenders in round 1, draft a combination of skill players/defenders on Day 2 (or trade for a WR), and use all my day 3 picks on developmental offensive players (OL/WR/TEs).

It’s my opinion sourrounding the QB with proven veterans along the OL, a high-end receiving TE as a safety net, plus the potential addition of a veteran receiver is better for his short-term development than investing high draft picks on offense. We’ve made the necessary investments the last few years, but now it’s time to shift some attention to defensive players. You need stars on defense to consistently win, and history shows us that defensive players develop much faster than offensive players. Once you find a balance between the units you can approach each year with the best player in mind while favoring offense a bit when Zach is on his second contract/veterans start leaving. Unlike the Sanchez era where we did have a lot of proven veterans that helped prop him up in the short-term, I would make a concerted effort to build pipelines at positions with a lot of high-priced veterans, specifically along the OL. Ravens are a great example of this. They draft interior OL every year, sit and develop them, and when their time comes they’re ready to start. 

 

I don’t think the Jets have this approach based on what I understand. They’re aware that it’s an option, but they are a little more bullish on development and finding guys who they feel can fit into their system and perform, rather than spending on overpriced veterans. They want to build the OL/DL through the draft and will do so by investing high picks in the units year-in and year-out, which is a fine approach, but in my opinion a little unnecessary. They’ll also favor offense high in the draft because again, they’re hellbent on premium investment around the QB and Saleh is bullish on their ability to find certain players that fit their defensive system without needing to pay a premium for them. They would rather be opportunistic in FA than reliant on it. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would it an unrealistic price tag to trade a 2nd for Dalton Schultz or Mike Gesicki?

If so, is there a viable option at TE in the second or third, even if we had to reach a bit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, football guy said:

Wouldn't rule out a trade for Tyler Lockett. Jets really thought they had a chance at Calvin Ridley. Given what has gone down today, Lockett likely becomes the top option who is realistically available on the trade market. One of our 2's for Lockett and a 4 is realistic. 

Lockett would be the talented, versatile veteran who could help Zach. So would Cooper. Do the Jets have any interest in Cooper? Would cost less in draft capital and is younger.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes but there were a few franchise tags that were kinda a surprise and the qb move shakes up the draft a little.

Burt yes March 16, Buckle up and get ready to be disappointed 

You're only disappointed if you expected to be able to bring in premium players during FA... It's been said multiple times not to even look at FA until after the tags are done.

Teams will overbid on remaining talent, which is generally second / third tier players (with the rare exception of a Marcus Williams here and there). Either JD gets into a bidding war for a decent player, and the people will complain he over-spent (especially for a 4-13 team, not quite the destination athletes are looking for unless it's a huge paycheck), or he looks for value, and people we complain that he didn't bring anyone good enough to help.

Hence the 'build through the draft for premium positions' approach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, football guy said:

My opinion differs a little bit from what I think the Jets plan is.

I would improve the OL via FA to the best of my ability—even if I had to pay a premium—by signing veteran OL + make Zach Ertz an offer he can’t refuse in FA, and sign a few veteran DBs. I get overspending is considered weak in front office circles, but you have to read the room… it’s OK to overspend on the right players. For instance, Maccagnan was mocked for how he went about the CJ Mosley negotiations, and while a lot of unlucky things happened since, the guy is truly an elite player who is worth the money when on the field. You couldn’t foresee the groin injury or the Covid opt-out which is unfortunate, but when signing him he never had any real injury problems, a team leader, and a stud on the field… worth the money. I can credit Maccagnan for that single transaction while being critical of countless others. Finding a balance is what’s most important. Not every deal is going to work out, but it’s a matter of taking calculated risks (also, it’s worth pointing out that this year’s overpay is next years fair deal in the current salary cap landscap…)

Then my draft plan would be to load up on defenders in round 1, draft a combination of skill players/defenders on Day 2 (or trade for a WR), and use all my day 3 picks on developmental offensive players (OL/WR/TEs).

It’s my opinion sourrounding the QB with proven veterans along the OL, a high-end receiving TE as a safety net, plus the potential addition of a veteran receiver is better for his short-term development than investing high draft picks on offense. We’ve made the necessary investments the last few years, but now it’s time to shift some attention to defensive players. You need stars on defense to consistently win, and history shows us that defensive players develop much faster than offensive players. Once you find a balance between the units you can approach each year with the best player in mind while favoring offense a bit when Zach is on his second contract/veterans start leaving. Unlike the Sanchez era where we did have a lot of proven veterans that helped prop him up in the short-term, I would make a concerted effort to build pipelines at positions with a lot of high-priced veterans, specifically along the OL. Ravens are a great example of this. They draft interior OL every year, sit and develop them, and when their time comes they’re ready to start. 

 

I don’t think the Jets have this approach based on what I understand. They’re aware that it’s an option, but they are a little more bullish on development and finding guys who they feel can fit into their system and perform, rather than spending on overpriced veterans. They want to build the OL/DL through the draft and will do so by investing high picks in the units year-in and year-out, which is a fine approach, but in my opinion a little unnecessary. They’ll also favor offense high in the draft because again, they’re hellbent on premium investment around the QB and Saleh is bullish on their ability to find certain players that fit their defensive system without needing to pay a premium for them. They would rather be opportunistic in FA than reliant on it. 

so based on what you think the jets think, what would you put the odds that the jets go wr at 10, or in the teens after a potential trade back, assuming they go edge at 4.  however, if they go OL at 4, i think the next pick is definitely an edge and we're looking at wrs on day 2, correct?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

99% of what gets posted here regarding FA starting the day of the Super Bowl and running through the first day of Free Agency is entirely pointless, because the players being so vehemently debated/discussed never actually hit the market.

Happens every year.  People get worked up about "we MUST sign player X!!!!!" threads, then X is (as expected) franchised or extended before FA starts.  Lol.  I'd think some folks would learn.

Unfathomable that other teams in the league try as best they can to keep good players.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so based on what you think the jets think, what would you put the odds that the jets go wr at 10, or in the teens after a potential trade back, assuming they go edge at 4.  however, if they go OL at 4, i think the next pick is definitely an edge and we're looking at wrs on day 2, correct?

In the event they do not acquire a veteran WR, I think they will wait until Day 2 or trade up into the 20s from 35 if a guy they like a WR that is sliding. 

I think their focus is OL and DL with their top 2 picks. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

99% of what gets posted here regarding FA starting the day of the Super Bowl and running through the first day of Free Agency is entirely pointless, because the players being so vehemently debated/discussed never actually hit the market.

Happens every year.  People get worked up about "we MUST sign player X!!!!!" threads, then X is (as expected) franchised or extended before FA starts.  Lol.  I'd think some folks would learn.

So true.   Nobody losses a player that they really wanted to keep.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So true.   Nobody losses a player that they really wanted to keep.  

Not unless there is a massive attitude/hatred type issue, nope.  Even then, many of those guys still get franchised.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

99% of what gets posted here regarding FA starting the day of the Super Bowl and running through the first day of Free Agency is entirely pointless, because the players being so vehemently debated/discussed never actually hit the market.

Happens every year.  People get worked up about "we MUST sign player X!!!!!" threads, then X is (as expected) franchised or extended before FA starts.  Lol.  I'd think some folks would learn.

Correct. 

 

This is why I have been such a big advocate for trading for veterans. 

 

We are a young team with a bunch of holes and a f*ckton of draft capital in a league with a soft cap. It is too easy for teams to keep the FAs they want to keep. Let's trade some of our lottery tickets for established players who can help us right now. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Not unless there is a massive attitude/hatred type issue, nope.  Even then, many of those guys still get franchised.

Exactly.  Look at the players who become “cap casualties”, they’re older, broken down, have mailed it in since being paid.    Teams just don’t lose valuable players they still want to retain, the cap is too easily manipulated.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

Lockett would be the talented, versatile veteran who could help Zach. So would Cooper. Do the Jets have any interest in Cooper? Would cost less in draft capital and is younger.

Way more interested in Cooper for this reason. At the end of the day we dont necessarily know that the draft compensation will be less, but its projected to be less. Age and assumed cost makes this a no brainers over Lockett. Not to mention Cooper is a bit more versatile.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, football guy said:

In the event they do not acquire a veteran WR, I think they will wait until Day 2 or trade up into the 20s from 35 if a guy they like a WR that is sliding. 

I think their focus is OL and DL with their top 2 picks. 

do you have a guess as to who the jets would take at 4 if the first 3 picks are ikongwu/neal/hutch?  would the jets take thibs, walker or someone like cross?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...