McShay post combine mock draft: Neal & Sauce for the Jets

Love everything about Gardner, size, speed, exceptional character and maturity level, the only thing I question is that he was rarely challenged in college. He will be challenged in the NFL immediately. It may be enough for me if I were the GM to pass on him  when Karlaftis, Ojabo, or best Wr might be there at #10

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wasnt he challenged in his first season, shut everyone down and then was avoided, like Revis?

I take Sauce, he has crazy stat of not giving up a TD his entire college career 

You make a good point JN. I would not criticize the pick if we took him at 10. While there is no perfect prospect, for me Gardner's only question mark would be that he hasnt been challenged a lot, or safe to say after his freshman year. Again, I like a lot about Gardner

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I hope we have a much much smarter GM than McShay.  Drafting a potentially dominant guard like Ekwonu (if available) who can also be a stud tackle is one thing but taking an insurance policy at offensive tackle who cannot play guard at that height is a STUPID use of one of our top assets.  Utterly stupid, and I'm not one to use such strong language.  

We have so many other more pressing needs.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Claymation said:

The Jets OL was a strength? Quarterback Zach Wilson saw pressure on 32.5% of his rookie-season dropbacks (seventh most).

Depends how much that pressure was due to poor OL play or due to QB / WR issues ... pressure comes in many forms. Rookie QBs generally get more pressure because they hold onto the ball longer, and if our receivers  aren't getting open quick enough that can also contribute.

On the flip side, we could feel that our OL was a strength only in relative terms ... perhaps "not as  much of a problem as other units" is a more accurate way to put it?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

So if we draft a guy like Neal early, which of the tackles are we moving to guard?

I would imagine the plan would be Year 1 Neal plays RG. If Neal and Becton both pan out we move on from Fant. If Becton looks like a bust we extend Fant and move on from Becton with Neal at LT long term.

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Seems like it would be silly to take another tackle that high.  Seems like a poor allocation of resources and an unnecessary use of a pick given the fact the OL was the strength of the team.  Also, JD would have to swallow a ton of pride taking Becton’s replacement 2 years after selecting him with an entire year on the IR.  Just can’t imagine this and really hope we don’t see this on draft day.  

I think its going to be more and more likely, although I could see them going edge at 10 then rather than Gardner. 

The way I figure it, the combination of a guy that can step in at Guard and create possibly the best young guard tandem in the league is really attractive for the jets with their desire to keep Zach protected. Also the flexibility it gives the jets if Fants one great year was an aberration, they have their next tackle already in house. Also provides at least some insurance if Becton can never get his act together.  The move just makes sense on a lot of different fronts, and while I agree the allocation of resources (3 first round picks on the OL) is a little much, I just dont see JD passing on Ekwonu or Neal at 4 if they are there. 

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wasnt he challenged in his first season, shut everyone down and then was avoided, like Revis?

I take Sauce, he has crazy stat of not giving up a TD his entire college career 

Wouldnt hate it, but I feel like you can get corners later in the draft or in FA.  Id rather go edge with the second first round pick and build a deep dominant unit there. 

9 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think its going to be more and more likely, although I could see them going edge at 10 then rather than Gardner. 

The way I figure it, the combination of a guy that can step in at Guard and create possibly the best young guard tandem in the league is really attractive for the jets with their desire to keep Zach protected. Also the flexibility it gives the jets if Fants one great year was an aberration, they have their next tackle already in house. Also provides at least some insurance if Becton can never get his act together.  The move just makes sense on a lot of different fronts, and while I agree the allocation of resources (3 first round picks on the OL) is a little much, I just dont see JD passing on Ekwonu or Neal at 4 if they are there. 

Can you imagine Wilson trying to throw over the head of a 6'7" guard.  Im just not seeing it.

I just can’t see JD going OL in the first again. Even after a decade long dearth, three in a row seems a little kooky.

I’d rather see a trade down at both four and ten if possible, but at least at four. That being said, if the picks stay how they currently are, I think I take:

4- Sauce

10- BA WR

2nd round, BA Edge & TE

I think this makes the most sense to me at the moment. If the players are right, this will move the needle as far as winning some games.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

mac jones did it for a full year and he's only 6'3 (an inch taller than zach).  So i mean its not like its out of the question here. 

Fair point but that Alabama line created a pocket that could accommodate the physics of a reasonable passing lane.  In the NFL, I personally don't see it with Wilson at 6'1 and less of a pocket than in college but I've been wrong plenty of times before.  

I'm actually with you on creating a dominant offensive line, I just favor Ekwonu at 6'4".  I worry he might be gone before #4.  And I also laugh at McShay's rationale as he doesn't move Neal to guard but keeps him at tackle where we should not quit (yet) on Becton.  Just baffling..

I’ve seen a number of mock drafts that have four or so Edges going in the top ten. The Jets have a huge need at Edge, and two top ten picks. At #4, with the Thibs controversy or whatever it is, the team should have its choice there of every Edge in the draft not named Hutchinson. They should take their favorite and not look back. This isn’t rocket science. The strength of the top of the draft meets, arguably, the Jets’ biggest need. Just take one. 

• Upvote 3

I'm actually leaning towards Gardner at 4 and edge at 10 if JD thinks several good ones will still be there.  I still want OL insurance.  That would include signing Moses and getting a good guard in FA or the 2nd round.

Barring the above OL fix, I'll take McShay's draft and hope like hell that Gardner is still there at 10 or edge as JD sees fit.            

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I would imagine the plan would be Year 1 Neal plays RG. If Neal and Becton both pan out we move on from Fant. If Becton looks like a bust we extend Fant and move on from Becton with Neal at LT long term.

Agree.

If Becton busts, you can franchise Fant for a year or extend him.   If Becton looks good, you have bookend tackles, let Fant go in FA, and try to get a comp pick for him.

• Upvote 1