McShay post combine mock draft: Neal & Sauce for the Jets

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I’ve seen a number of mock drafts that have four or so Edges going in the top ten. The Jets have a huge need at Edge, and two top ten picks. At #4, with the Thibs controversy or whatever it is, the team should have its choice there of every Edge in the draft not named Hutchinson. They should take their favorite and not look back. This isn’t rocket science. The strength of the top of the draft meets, arguably, the Jets’ biggest need. Just take one. 

It’s a crime to not give the jets an edge rusher at either 4 or 10, as well as not giving them an offensive weapon.  They need these way more than a tackle and a cb.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Fair point but that Alabama line created a pocket that could accommodate the physics of a reasonable passing lane.  In the NFL, I personally don't see it with Wilson at 6'1 and less of a pocket than in college but I've been wrong plenty of times before.  

I'm actually with you on creating a dominant offensive line, I just favor Ekwonu at 6'4".  I worry he might be gone before #4.  And I also laugh at McShay's rationale as he doesn't move Neal to guard but keeps him at tackle where we should not quit (yet) on Becton.  Just baffling..

I like ekwonu more for what we'd be doing, also the fact that he's a little more of an aggressive run blocker.  But still its completely feasible for Neal to play guard for the jets and wilson to be fine.  Wilson at 6'2 should have no problem navigating the pocket and throwing around guys with his ability to change arm angles.  I dont worry about it as much personally.  

I do agree mcshays reasoning is a little baffling because he's not considering the idea that both Becton and Fant could be starting at Tackle this year.   

• Upvote 1

So I presume this presumes two things:

1. Jets will have already signed a legit #1 WR in Free Agency.

2. Becton is a bust and the Jets are moving on.

I think both presumptions are faulty, or at least quite premature (Becton), but only time will tell.

I remain of the belief that an Offensive Weapon for Wilson (WR) is by and away our top vital need, followed closely by Pass-rushing Edge. 

To not get a top prospect at either spot in the the first round feels, to me, like a major miss.

• Upvote 4

Hamilton going second would be outstanding, as would getting one of the offensive linemen to go before the Jets' pick.

In this scenario, with the Giants and Carolina both having tackle needs, I wonder if the Jets could squeeze the Giants for like a fourth round pick or something to move up and secure Neal. 

I have a feeling they sign a guard, which would limit the ability to start Neal or Ekwonu without benching Fant or Becton. Unless they've got a trade lined up for Becton. Although in that scenario they'd need to have a fourth defensive player (behind Hutchinson, Walker, and Gardner in some order) they'd take at four over the tackles. 

Know a lot of guys wouldn't like the Walker pick, a lot wouldn't like Thibodeaux either, but Walker makes a lot of sense.

Also Thibodeaux to the Seahawks is pretty perfect.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think both presumptions are faulty, or at least quite premature (Becton), but only time will tell.

I remain of the belief that an Offensive Weapon for Wilson (WR) is by and away our top vital need, followed closely by Pass-rushing Edge. 

To not get a top prospect at either spot in the the first round feels, to me, like a major miss.

Even if they sign a guy in FA that is a legit #1, if you absolutely love a WR in the draft, take him at #4. 

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

See, I don't think Becton has to be a bust.

You let your rookie lineman play guard for a year.   If Becton breaks out, you let Fant go, now you have 2 young tackles.  If Becton busts,  you resign Fant/franchise him, and you still have bookend tackles.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Wouldnt hate it, but I feel like you can get corners later in the draft or in FA.  Id rather go edge with the second first round pick and build a deep dominant unit there. 

I just think once you get past the top 2 there’sa huge drop off at edge as opposed to the top CB

I'd be ok with this if we don't sign either Fant or Moses, or if we got a trade for Becton. I know we need OL help still and I'd love Icky or Neal, but I'm more inclined to get that in the 2nd round now and specifically a guard. I'd do everything to trade back #4 and possibly 10 into the mid and later 1st, and pick up additional 2nd and 3rd round picks. There are going to be a lot of players that will be of more value in those rounds then #4 and #10. We need lots of players out of this draft.

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Love everything about Gardner, size, speed, exceptional character and maturity level, the only thing I question is that he was rarely challenged in college. He will be challenged in the NFL immediately. It may be enough for me if I were the GM to pass on him  when Karlaftis, Ojabo, or best Wr might be there at #10

Only Wilson or London would give me pause when selecting sauce. Since they were gone, this is IMO the best player available at a team need. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, freestater said:

This is my ideal too. Grab a guy like Raimann or Zion Johnson in the 2nd for the line. Get some DBs after that.

There seems to be a lot of well-positioned Safeties for the top of round 2.  Brisker, Cine, Pitre and Hill all fall in that area.  I love Johnson if he falls.  It also starts to feel like TE territory if we want one of the top ones.  Four picks in the top 40 and I want 5 positions filled of course.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I would imagine the plan would be Year 1 Neal plays RG. If Neal and Becton both pan out we move on from Fant. If Becton looks like a bust we extend Fant and move on from Becton with Neal at LT long term.

I still hate this because you're still using a top 5 pick on essentially an insurance policy. Not to mention you're basically drafting a guard at #4, a year after trading up for a guard. It's just really questionable to me.

• Upvote 2

Jaguars: Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan

Lions: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

Texans: Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State

Jets: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

Giants: Travon Walker, DE, Georgia

Panthers: Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

Giants (via Bears): Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State

haha the giants taking our draft. This place would be entertaining at least 

Sauce won't make it to the 10th pick but if he were to then we better run to the podium.

Guys if we draft a LT at number FOUR . He better be our starting LT to start the season. Yes, the shuffling would come from others not him. Drafting a T top 5 signifies that you've found an All-Pro potiential propect who can make an immediate impact at an above average to good level. Therefore Becton or Fant would have to flip to the right side and if Moses is re-sign you may possibly have to liquidate Fant in such a scenario for a future 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

Why the hell must we pay to see these cheesy ol mocks?! I think someone stated a few WRs were off the board going into the 10th selection?  Any notable prospects drop late 1st round worth drafting up from?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

4. NY Jets

Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

With Morgan Moses headed toward free agency and Mekhi Becton having trouble staying on the field, the Jets could certainly stand to add to the offensive line here. I thought about an edge rusher or cornerback, but the value is better for Neal at No. 4. (The Jets can address one of those other positions with their second top-10 pick.) Quarterback Zach Wilson saw pressure on 32.5% of his rookie-season dropbacks (seventh most), and the Jets' 60.5% pass block win rate was middle of the road in 2021. Even so, New York is probably one solid lineman away from a very good starting unit, with or without Moses in the fold. Neal has versatility, he is a dominant run-blocker, and he's a powerful pass protector with a quick first step. He allowed just one sack in 621 pass-block snaps last season.

10. NY Jets

Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

We know this pick has to be on defense after the Jets went offensive tackle at No. 4 (and spent all of their high picks on offense last April), and Gardner still being on the board makes it an even easier decision -- though Florida State edge rusher Jermaine Johnson II would make sense, too. Last season, Gardner gave up just 60 total yards, surrendered zero touchdowns and picked off three passes, whereas the Jets allowed 8.0 passing yards per attempt and managed just seven interceptions. Gardner ran a 4.41 in the 40-yard dash on Sunday, and he smothers receivers off the line. The Jets like their young duo of Bryce Hall and Brandin Echols, but he is too good to pass on.

the bold says it all.......... and its a stupid way to draft. 

so i assume everyone who wants OL at 4 was fine with a DL drafted in 4 out of 5 years right? cause this is that bad.

so Neil or even that other OL are so good they go to a bunch of PBs. they will do it on a 4 win team every year cause we keep wasting top picks on the OL and neglecting the rest of the team.

so we had a middle of the road Pass Win rate? ok well how was our Pass Rushing win rate? how was our stopping the Run rate? i bet it was a lot worst than the Pass Win rate. 

drafting OL at 4 is a lateral move. it doesnt help us at all. 

as i was reading this i saw that Neil gave up one sack all year............ but we already have a guy who did the exact same thing!!! so were drafting Neil " Just in Case" Fant or Becton are bad? thats is a stupid move. lets hope JD is smarter than that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

so i assume everyone who wants OL at 4 was fine with a DL drafted in 4 out of 5 years right? cause this is that bad.

so Neil or even that other OL are so good they go to a bunch of PBs. they will do it on a 4 win team every year cause we keep wasting top picks on the OL and neglecting the rest of the team.

so we had a middle of the road Pass Win rate? ok well how was our Pass Rushing win rate? how was our stopping the Run rate? i bet it was a lot worst than the Pass Win rate. 

as i was reading this i saw that Neil gave up one sack all year............ but we already have a guy who did the exact same thing!!! so were drafting Neil " Just in Case" Fant or Becton are bad? thats is a stupid move. lets hope JD is smarter than that.

There is no comparison between offensive line and interior defensive line. One presents premium value in the most important aspect of the game and the other does not unless you have Aaron Donald.

There also weren't questions over Mo, Sheldon or Leo in the same way there is with Becton. There's every chance he's eaten his way out of football within two years. The flags are blood red and people can dig their heads in the sand all they want - He is not to be relied upon.

To say it doesn't help us is laughable. The line getting better makes the team better. If Neal is a premiere tackle then he will turn a mediocre group good or a good group great. Whether it's too much in terms of resources is debateable but if there's one area of the team to stack talent it's the offensive line. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, fullblast said:

I still hate this because you're still using a top 5 pick on essentially an insurance policy. Not to mention you're basically drafting a guard at #4, a year after trading up for a guard. It's just really questionable to me.

I agree that it sucks -- ideally Becton would look like a cornerstone tackle and we wouldn't need to consider it. I wouldn't say it's an purely an insurance policy though as nobody has every regretted having two stalwart, mammoth offensive tackles. It still "works" long term at positions of value even if it shouldn't be a short term need.

The "guard at 4" stuff just isn't true though. You're not drafting a guard, you're drafting a tackle that is spending a year at guard. 

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Depends how much that pressure was due to poor OL play or due to QB / WR issues ... pressure comes in many forms. Rookie QBs generally get more pressure because they hold onto the ball longer, and if our receivers  aren't getting open quick enough that can also contribute.

On the flip side, we could feel that our OL was a strength only in relative terms ... perhaps "not as  much of a problem as other units" is a more accurate way to put it?

Rookie QB get more pressure because team's blitz more because the QB's lack ability to process and go through reads. Sacks is more indicative to a QB holding on too long. However it's not that Zach was a statue with the ball, how many would be sacks did he avoid because of his athletic ability.

Michael Carter averaged of 2 yards before contact for 39th in the league last year, he averaged 11.3 broken tackles per attempts for 12th. He was 9th in yards after contact for 2.3 yards after contact. Carter and Zach's athletic ability made the OL look better than it was.

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Seems like it would be silly to take another tackle that high.  Seems like a poor allocation of resources and an unnecessary use of a pick given the fact the OL was the strength of the team.  Also, JD would have to swallow a ton of pride taking Becton’s replacement 2 years after selecting him with an entire year on the IR.  Just can’t imagine this and really hope we don’t see this on draft day.  

The Jets have Neal ranked as a Guard currently. So he'd probably start there and see how the Becton situation develops. If it fails, kick Neal to tackle probably. 

I'm a big OL mark, but I'd be fine if the Jets pass on OL in the first round this year.  Sure, get an edge and WR, but JD needs to draft at least two young OL fairly high (let's say one in the 2nd and another in the 3rd or 4th).

However, saying the OL is a strength right now is overly optimistic.  Their best OL last year, Fant, missed games late last year and is a pending free agent next year.  Moses is a free agent now and could walk. The Jets could and should try to do better than him at RT.  Becton can't get on the field. He's a huge ?.  The starting C missed games late last year with injury, too.  The swing tackles, Edoga and McDermott, are awful.  RG continues to be pretty bad, though the good Dr. was better than the horrible Van Roten.  The Jets have exactly one good YOUNG starter (AVT) returning this year.

Is it the "best" unit on the team?  If so, only b/c the other units are so godawful, but it is still not "good" and seriously lacks depth and young talent.  Becton coming back strong would be really help, but the Jets cannot assume that he will.

Mike Mac left the cupboard bare for five years (only 3 OL picks in those years, none higher than the late 3rd round), and JD whiffed on his 2020 OL picks (Becton and Clarke started 0 games last year, and Clarke is now gone).  The OL needs good young controllable talent via the draft.

And BTW, if drafting an OL early for three years in a row is a bad uses of assets, then is drafting a WR high also?  JD's taken WR in the 2nd round two years in a row, and signed two free agent WR's last year.  But, we want to take another early this year?  5 OL start every game...2-3 WR do. 

FWIW, I would keep drafting OL and WR fairly high (rounds 1-3) every year until both units really are legitimately strong.

I think taking an OL at 4 is about both tackles, not just Becton. Fant is in his 30s… why wouldn’t the pick not be meant to replace him in a year or two after filling in at RG? Because he had one standout year at LT? Becton had a really good year at LT too….

I understand we’re piling on Becton, but Neal or Ekwonu fits the plan from both angles and worst case he is a top flight guard for the next couple of years before moving out while Fant and Becton take the tackle spots 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I would imagine the plan would be Year 1 Neal plays RG. If Neal and Becton both pan out we move on from Fant. If Becton looks like a bust we extend Fant and move on from Becton with Neal at LT long term.

I think Becton will be a G in this system, We drafted him because he fit a different system he don’t fit this one.

35 minutes ago, doitny said:

What does DL in a 3-4 defense have to do with an OL?

You are comparing apples and oranges. The Jets don't need DT. They need an offense line that can create holes and protect the QB. They don't need need a RB to get hit after just 2 yards. Jonathon Taylor averaged 2.6 yards before contact and 2.9 yards after contact, Dalvin Cook averaged 2.7 but only 1.9 yards after contact. Imagine what Carter could have done in Minnesota?

Fant is a poor run blocker.

McGovern is a poor run blocker.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I think taking an OL at 4 is about both tackles, not just Becton. Fant is in his 30s… why wouldn’t the pick not be meant to replace him in a year or two after filling in at RG? Because he had one standout year at LT? Becton had a really good year at LT too….

I understand we’re piling on Becton, but Neal or Ekwonu fits the plan from both angles and worst case he is a top flight guard for the next couple of years before moving out while Fant and Becton take the tackle spots 

The Jets really do need a good, young OT...but they could wait until the 2nd round.  Edge really is a huge need, so taking one with the 10th pick at the latest makes sense. There seems to be pretty good depth at OT this year.

Truly, a trade down at 4 would be best, but there just might not be any teams that want to move up that far.