McShay post combine mock draft: Neal & Sauce for the Jets

i don't know about this.  i guess if they get a couple of impact players in free agency they can draft another ot.  but it does seem to be a pretty high pick even for a tackle considering the need for an impact player.  on the other hand, i've been saying this is like a repeat of the late 70's and then the jets drafted the bookend tackles powell and ward.

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Hopefully whoever wants to jump the Giants and Seahawks for the top QB, or maybe someone wants Thibs.

I doubt that will happen. The top QBs are not elite and warrant giving up that type of draft capital. At 10, that's a different story.

If we faced a dilemma having to choose a CB or DB, I would have to lean to CB. After McDuffie and Sauce, the 2nd and 3rd tiers guys don't stand out as impact guy. They'll probably take a while to develop therefore not worth entertaining. As for WR, there's day two guys like Dotson (PSU), Watson (NDS) and Bell (Pur) that seem very intriguing. 

11 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

There is no comparison between offensive line and interior defensive line. One presents premium value in the most important aspect of the game and the other does not unless you have Aaron Donald.

There also weren't questions over Mo, Sheldon or Leo in the same way there is with Becton. There's every chance he's eaten his way out of football within two years. The flags are blood red and people can dig their heads in the sand all they want - He is not to be relied upon.

To say it doesn't help us is laughable. The line getting better makes the team better. If Neal is a premiere tackle then he will turn a mediocre group good or a good group great. Whether it's too much in terms of resources is debateable but if there's one area of the team to stack talent it's the offensive line. 

Edge is a premium position. and Leo and Coples were DEs.

why do you want a great OL? to stop a great DL right? so they are very comparable. 

i get what your saying about Becton but you cant keep taking swings at the OL in rd 1. not 3 years in a row. Becton will be there and if healthy will start at Tackle. so Neil starts at guard which he is not one. so we get rid of Fant next year? 

how is replacing one guy who gave up one sack in 16 games with a guy who gave up one sack in 15 games.  that is not improving the team.

your playing musical chairs on the OL. we dont have a hole at any tackle spots. Fant was great and Moses was good. 

year in and year out teams make the playoffs, make the SB, and win the SB without a wall of 1st rd picks on their OL. last year 3 teams had 3 drafted OL on their roster and didnt make the playoffs. if loading up your OL with 1st rd picks is such a great thing to do why isnt everyone doing it? why aren't teams trading up to get these top OL? 

because its not needed anymore. QBs get rid of the ball quicker, WRs get open easier, having a great OL is not what it use to be. 

even if the Edge, WR, CB or even saftey are good but not great players they improve our team more that playing a Tackle out of position for one year and then MAYBE replacing Becton or replacing Fant who was just as good as Neil was. 

and what will we do with the hole at RG if Neil moves to LT next year? do we draft a 4th guy in rd 1 next year? and Mcg will be done by then. do we get our Mangod replacement? 

having a great OL is outdated. teams can win with the OL we had last year. there doing it all over the league. we can either follow what the rest of the league is doing to win, or we can follow the Detroit Lions and keep drafting OL in rd 1 and go to 3 playoff games and lose them all in the 12 years Matt Stafford was there. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i want to see what we do at receiver at FA before committing to this draft. Neil is a tricky fit because he is probably not a guard and neither is Fant, and neither is Bechton, so yes he helps and provides insurance but at what cost? the OL is a good guard away from being good with our without Neil. We have to help Wilson with a receiver and probab 1 or more TE's in this draft or FA.

Agreed. I'd seek a trade down at #4 with Washington to jump ahead of Giants & Carolina and grab an Edge at #10 (Ojabo, Karlaftis, JJ) and trade down again at #11 if possible (philly or Pitt) and grab IOL or WR in the #15-20 range and have 4 picks in the 2nd and maybe another #1 pick in 2023.

It would be a miracle but how great would that be using the Jamaal pick to get another #1 next year and additional 2nd or 3rd this year.

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I think Becton will be a G in this system, We drafted him because he fit a different system he don’t fit this one.

I mean, this entire system is (historically) about smaller, quick athletic lineman who can pull, move laterally, and operate in space. Becton (and for that matter Neal) aren't really fits for it, although obviously Becton is enough of an athletic freak that he could potentially pull it off... And while I agree that Becton isn't a great fit for this offense he's definitely a better fit as an OT in it than an OG.

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Only Wilson or London would give me pause when selecting sauce. Since they were gone, this is IMO the best player available at a team need. 

Thank Clay, I would tend to agree and would be fine if we took Gardner. Great college player on the field, and his combine and personal character elevated this player's status for me

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, doitny said:

Edge is a premium position. and Leo and Coples were DEs.

why do you want a great OL? to stop a great DL right? so they are very comparable. 

i get what your saying about Becton but you cant keep taking swings at the OL in rd 1. not 3 years in a row. Becton will be there and if healthy will start at Tackle. so Neil starts at guard which he is not one. so we get rid of Fant next year? 

how is replacing one guy who gave up one sack in 16 games with a guy who gave up one sack in 15 games.  that is not improving the team.

your playing musical chairs on the OL. we dont have a hole at any tackle spots. Fant was great and Moses was good. 

year in and year out teams make the playoffs, make the SB, and win the SB without a wall of 1st rd picks on their OL. last year 3 teams had 3 drafted OL on their roster and didnt make the playoffs. if loading up your OL with 1st rd picks is such a great thing to do why isnt everyone doing it? why aren't teams trading up to get these top OL? 

because its not needed anymore. QBs get rid of the ball quicker, WRs get open easier, having a great OL is not what it use to be. 

even if the Edge, WR, CB or even saftey are good but not great players they improve our team more that playing a Tackle out of position for one year and then MAYBE replacing Becton or replacing Fant who was just as good as Neil was. 

and what will we do with the hole at RG if Neil moves to LT next year? do we draft a 4th guy in rd 1 next year? and Mcg will be done by then. do we get our Mangod replacement? 

having a great OL is outdated. teams can win with the OL we had last year. there doing it all over the league. we can either follow what the rest of the league is doing to win, or we can follow the Detroit Lions and keep drafting OL in rd 1 and go to 3 playoff games and lose them all in the 12 years Matt Stafford was there. 

They weren't edge rushers, they were 3 Technique DE. When our beloved Bozo put Coples and Sheldon as pass rushing LB they failed miserably. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

4. NY Jets

Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

With Morgan Moses headed toward free agency and Mekhi Becton having trouble staying on the field, the Jets could certainly stand to add to the offensive line here. I thought about an edge rusher or cornerback, but the value is better for Neal at No. 4. (The Jets can address one of those other positions with their second top-10 pick.) Quarterback Zach Wilson saw pressure on 32.5% of his rookie-season dropbacks (seventh most), and the Jets' 60.5% pass block win rate was middle of the road in 2021. Even so, New York is probably one solid lineman away from a very good starting unit, with or without Moses in the fold. Neal has versatility, he is a dominant run-blocker, and he's a powerful pass protector with a quick first step. He allowed just one sack in 621 pass-block snaps last season.

10. NY Jets

Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

We know this pick has to be on defense after the Jets went offensive tackle at No. 4 (and spent all of their high picks on offense last April), and Gardner still being on the board makes it an even easier decision -- though Florida State edge rusher Jermaine Johnson II would make sense, too. Last season, Gardner gave up just 60 total yards, surrendered zero touchdowns and picked off three passes, whereas the Jets allowed 8.0 passing yards per attempt and managed just seven interceptions. Gardner ran a 4.41 in the 40-yard dash on Sunday, and he smothers receivers off the line. The Jets like their young duo of Bryce Hall and Brandin Echols, but he is too good to pass on.

Neal not my first OL choice.  I'd prefer Ekwono.  But I understand that Jets want to significantly upgrade the run game from #27th ranking to one that can be dominate, and allow Jets offense to compete in the AFCE.  Neal would be a run blocking beast.  This WCO executes both run and pass plays from the same exact formation.  If Jets can establish a strong run game...it makes it more difficult for defenses to predict Jets plays based on down and distance.  And to put  the right defensive personnel on the field to counter a run or pass.  If Jets are able to rip off runs of 7-15 yards enough times in a game, that will allow play action to work more effectively. 

If Jets can somehow secure a #1 wideout in FA with a sign or trade, I suppose I can live with "sauce" at #10.  Or else I would hope for a WR or Edge pick here.  Trade down may happen here if a team wants to jump other teams for a QB like a Malik Willis. 

For me...OL-Edge-WR in any order is what I hope for, depending on what Jets can achieve with FA-trades.

The AFC is loaded with a growing list of Elite QBs with this latest addition of Russell Wilson.  JD-Saleh need to focus on getting Zach Wilson significant upgrades of weapons and beasts on the OL...if Jets want to slug  it out with powerhouse offenses led  by these top 10 QBs.  Especially against Josh Allen and the Bills in the division.  Run the ball successfully down Bills throats...would be a good start to getting competitive with them.  It's no longer Pats-Brady...it's now Bills-Allen...that Jets need to match up and compete with for the AFCE.  Win the division any way you can is a must.  It gets Jets a home playoff game against these Elite QBs.  That's the best chance for advancing in the playoffs.  To do that it starts by being dominant at the LOS....not just ok-adequate.  OL-Edge needs to get much better.   

In the end though...it's all about the QBs...it's all about Zach Wilson.  Most talented QB Jets have drafted since Namath.  Jets need to focus on him...and find out what he's got...now.   That's the only road to competing against dominant quarterbacked teams for a Lombardi Trophy.  IMO...it starts with dominating the LOS...it starts against the Bills.   

I don't really care how JD gets it done.  FA-trades-draft...just do it!  

I don’t like what I read about Neal or Thib.

The Jets need dogs who love football who have their heads screwed on straight.  If that means players with slightly lower RAS scores, so be it. 

Trayvon, Sauce, Jermaine Johnson, Ekwonu.  Even Garrett Wilson as a WR we know will be good in the NFL.  Not guys who underachieve.

Ekwonu works at 4 because he will be a great RG and then transitions to one of the Ts.  Neal gives you 3 T and no RG.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Claymation said:

The Jets OL was a strength? Quarterback Zach Wilson saw pressure on 32.5% of his rookie-season dropbacks (seventh most).

Check the stats before and after GVR was replaced. Truth is, the Jets OL was very good by the end of the year. I'd still be very happy with that draft

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Can you imagine Wilson trying to throw over the head of a 6'7" guard.  Im just not seeing it.

I believe Neal will be hit in the back by a significant amount of Wilson pass attempts... 

• Upvote 2

Drafting offensive linemen high is overrated. The last 4 or 5 Super Bowl

winners had  5 1st round picks total. What is needed is hard working, intelligent

players with good athletic ability, working under a competent coach. Becton

doesn't fill the description, Trading up for AVT was a waste of resources should

have kept the threes and taken the guy the Vikes took and we wouldn't

be talking OT this year

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I'd be delighted with that. Neal looks exceptional and there are some hard truths that need to be accepted about Becton.

The O-line not being a weakness is no reason not to turn it into a major strength. 

The primary reason is that there are other areas of the team that need to be built into simply, “not a weakness,” too. Blowing another first rounder on the OL essentially weakens another area on the team. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Claymation said:

What does DL in a 3-4 defense have to do with an OL?

You are comparing apples and oranges. The Jets don't need DT. They need an offense line that can create holes and protect the QB. They don't need need a RB to get hit after just 2 yards. Jonathon Taylor averaged 2.6 yards before contact and 2.9 yards after contact, Dalvin Cook averaged 2.7 but only 1.9 yards after contact. Imagine what Carter could have done in Minnesota?

Fant is a poor run blocker.

McGovern is a poor run blocker.

3-4, 4-3 they both rush the passer. 

our OL avg 4.4 ypc which was 11th best in the league. so how poor were these guys?

imagine how good MC1 would be if we weren't last in run attempts? 4.4 YPC would have been great with more rushes. we passed the ball almost twice as much as we threw it. thats because we were always down. imagine if we used a 1st rd pick or 2 on defense instead of OL we could see MC1 get more carries and really see what he could have done.

if we draft an Edge at 4 he starts right away over JFM.

if we draft a CB at 4 he starts right away over Echols.

if we draft a Safety at 4 he starts right away and is 10 times better than anyone we got.

if we draft a WR at 4 he starts right away with Moore and Davis.

but if you draft Neil who is a pure Tackle to play Guard your drafting a guy who will start one year out of position just in case Becton fails. and if he doesn't then you dont resign Fant. the difference between Fant and Neil is not that big. if Becton plays well then you force us to not resign Fant our 2nd best OL last year. so out of 5 guys on the OL this move will force our 2nd best out. thats insane.

we got a bottomless pit at Safety. we dont put pressure on the QB. we can stop the run. we need another WR or 2 to help Zach. we have no TE whatsoever. all of those are much more of a priority right now over OL. 

• Upvote 2

I love Ekwonu’s physicality but I think he has minimal experience on the right side while Neal has plenty. 

i would love Neal, him and Becton on the right side would be scaryyy given they are both monstrous

I love Sauce Gardner but would rather Jermaine Johnson or Wilson/Burks there than him at this stage of team building. 

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

but if you draft Neil who is a pure Tackle to play Guard your drafting a guy who will start one year out of position just in case Becton fails. and if he doesn't then you dont resign Fant. the difference between Fant and Neil is not that big. if Becton plays well then you force us to not resign Fant our 2nd best OL last year. so out of 5 guys on the OL this move will force our 2nd best out. thats insane.

Neal played RG and RT for a full year at Alabama and only played LT for his last year. He wouldn’t be out of position. 

Neal is more Versatile than Ekwonu who never really played on the right side in college. 

I would understand the move if I thought any of the top tackles in this draft were slam dunks, but I just don't see it.  Both Icky and Neal have major holes in their games.  Besides the biggest OL weakness last year by far was GVR.  If we really don't think we have a long term answer at tackle after next season, we can take one in the 1st next season.  

Sauce looking like arguably the biggest no brainer pick at a premium position of need IMO, and corner would quickly go from "OK on a good day" to a strength.  Should be a good pass rush prospect at 10 or opportunity for trade down.  Early 2nd is a great place to pick up a falling IOL and/or WR.  

• Upvote 2

3-4, 4-3 they both rush the passer. 
our OL avg 4.4 ypc which was 11th best in the league. so how poor were these guys?
imagine how good MC1 would be if we weren't last in run attempts? 4.4 YPC would have been great with more rushes. we passed the ball almost twice as much as we threw it. thats because we were always down. imagine if we used a 1st rd pick or 2 on defense instead of OL we could see MC1 get more carries and really see what he could have done.
if we draft an Edge at 4 he starts right away over JFM.
if we draft a CB at 4 he starts right away over Echols.
if we draft a Safety at 4 he starts right away and is 10 times better than anyone we got.
if we draft a WR at 4 he starts right away with Moore and Davis.
we got a bottomless pit at Safety. we dont put pressure on the QB. we can stop the run. we need another WR or 2 to help Zach. we have no TE whatsoever. all of those are much more of a priority right now over OL. 

There is a big difference between a 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DE. Actually it’s huge.

As I wrote Carter averaged 2 yards before contact. Tevin Coleman averaged 2 yards before contact. That’s a poor job by the Offensive Line not the mark of a quality OL.