Report: Jets working to bring back Joe Flacco

Bronx

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The thread is about the possible signing of a backup quarterback. 

Should we not be talking about the topic of the thread here?

Also, were you 100% happy with the performance of our highly drafted QB with a high ceiling in 2021?

Do you have any concerns or complaints with Zach Wilson going into 2022?

I assume MW is the actual backup and Flacco if he sticks is here to help mentor ZW.

‘If so this is a lot of how much we suck talk, wins and losses, Flacco playing 3 games etc talk for no reason 

18 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

You keep ignoring the fact that these other players you mentioned didn't come in and absolutely suck.

I don't want Zach Wilson to do better because of competition.  I want competition to beat out Zach Wilson if Zach Wilson continues to suck.

You didn't understand my point if that is your take. The back-up QB is irrelevant when it comes to the success or lack thereof of the starter. The Jets are clearly all in on Zach Wilson and we can either accept it, or complain about it. A guy like Flacco is acceptable for a team who is gambling on their 2nd overall pick to take the next step. I choose to accept the plan and hope that they are correct. 

I get why people would prefer a different QB to back-up Zach Wilson, I just don't see it the same way. If Zach Wilson isn't the answer, it's not like another young QB or middle-aged retread like Trubisky is somehow going to be the saviour of this team.

I really don't care who the QB is if we are winning. I want it to be Zach Wilson, but I don't care if undrafted QB, Wack Zilson becomes the starting QB in 2022 or 2023.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You didn't understand my point if that is your take. The back-up QB is irrelevant when it comes to the success or lack thereof of the starter. The Jets are clearly all in on Zach Wilson and we can either accept it, or complain about it. A guy like Flacco is acceptable for a team who is gambling on their 2nd overall pick to take the next step. I choose to accept the plan and hope that they are correct. 

I get why people would prefer a different QB to back-up Zach Wilson, I just don't see it the same way. If Zach Wilson isn't the answer, it's not like another young QB or middle-aged retread like Trubisky is somehow going to be the saviour of this team.

I really don't care who the QB is if we are winning. I want it to be Zach Wilson, but I don't care if undrafted QB, Wack Zilson becomes the starting QB in 2022 or 2023.

Here's the issue with that... We've had times over the past decade where the QB play was so bad, that it hurt the rest of the team.  Hell, look at Robby Anderson improving after getting away from Sam Darnold and then regressing upon Darnold's return.

Of course I don't think Trubisky offers us a shot at a championship in 2022 - that's dumb.  But, QB is a position where you need a minimum level of competence or the whole thing implodes.  There isn't evidence quite yet that Zach Wilson offers us that minimum level of competence, and frankly, I'd like to see more of the New York Jets, which include Elijah Moore, and perhaps another highly drafted WR and TE, amongst others, next year.  Not just the New York Zach Wilson's.

It may all pan out, and Wilson may improve the way we all hope, but if he's the exact same QB as he was last year - well, then we wasted an entire year of many other players as well.  I can't get on board with a plan that allows for such a high likelihood of exactly that.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/09/report-jets-working-to-bring-back-joe-flacco/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10029171-jets-rumors-joe-flacco-ny-have-mutual-interest-in-contract-in-free-agency

After being selected at No. 2 overall last year, Zach Wilson is set to begin his second year as the Jets starting quarterback.

But it looks like New York would like to keep some continuity with a veteran in the QBs room.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN, the Jets are in talks with pending free agent Joe Flacco about a new deal to remain with the team. New York acquired Flacco from Philadelphia on Oct. 25 last year for a conditional sixth-round pick.

Flacco appeared in two games with one start for the Jets, completing 64 percent of his passes for 338 yards with three TDs and no picks.

It was Flacco’s second stint with the Jets, after he started four games for the franchise in 2020. Flacco also started eight games for the Broncos in 2019 after departing the Ravens once Lamar Jackson supplanted him as Baltimore’s QB1.

Cimini also reports that head coach Robert Saleh would like to keep the quarterback trio of Wilson, Flacco, and Mike White — who the Jets have to tender as a pending restricted free agent.

In his first NFL action last season, White was 1-2 as a starter, completing 67 percent of his passes for 953 yards with five touchdowns and eight interceptions.

White impressed with 405 yards and three touchdowns in New York’s 34-31 victory over the Bengals in Week Eight. But his third start against Buffalo proved disastrous, as he threw four interceptions in the 45-17 loss.

Welcome back Joe!

220px-Lady_Liberty_under_a_blue_sky_(cropped).jpg.c07e6e737dcbb76dc6b9c893a0ed6b3f.jpg

Flacco is fried

About — Parson's Chicken & Fish

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

We all agree on the reality.  This message board is about analysis and opinions.  No one is denying the Jets are going all-in on Zach Wilson.  What some people are saying is that, maybe, just maybe, that isn't a good idea.  We have 4 high draft picks and no one is clamoring for a QB with any of them.  We can absolutely build a football team and bring in weapons and protection and have a QB who isn't just here to collect his NFL version of social security, all at the same time.

Well, no.  What's bolded isn't true

You argued with my post discounting the ridiculous notion that they're not bringing in a good back up because they're somehow trying to protect the feelings and emotions of their young QB.  All I'm saying is the reality is they aren't paying big bucks to a back up because it's a resource allocation issue.  

If you're agreeing with me why the Jets aren't bringing in high priced back up, then we can certainly have a debate on what's the better choice for the team - which I'm more than happy to dot.

but let's get the first part cleared up....

I mean, nothing saps all momentum and enthusiasm from a team like a QB who simply cannot play. I just can't understand how any Jets fan who sat through 2020 and 2021 could think that having Joe Flacco as the backup QB is acceptable.

We need to start showing that the rebuild is working. We need to look competent and win games. And given how awful Zach Wilson was in 2021 bringing in a QB that can play is critical.

At the end of the day, Douglas and Saleh are the ones who stand to lose the most by rolling with a zero like Flacco so they're putting their money where their mouth is. I just don't get how any Jet fan can be in support of this.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You argued with my post discounting the ridiculous notion that they're not bringing in a good back up because they're somehow trying to protect the feelings and emotions of their young QB.  All I'm saying is the reality is they aren't paying big bucks to a back up because it's a resource allocation issue.  

Jets have been below the cap by a large amount every year for several years. Why would you think it's a resource allocation issue?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, no.  What's bolded isn't true

If you're agreeing with me why the Jets aren't bringing in high priced back up, then we can certainly have a debate on what's the better choice for the team - which I'm more than happy to dot.

but let's get the first part cleared up....

I don't think it's about Zach Wilson's feelings.  If it's about anyone's feelings, it's Woody Johnson's.  I think, with the evidence being the last decade, that we absolutely don't want anyone in camp who can upstage the prized PSL/ticket/jersey selling/marketing possession.  I think the Jets are very wary of a QB controversy when one of their QBs is a top pick.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

Here's the issue with that... We've had times over the past decade where the QB play was so bad, that it hurt the rest of the team.  Hell, look at Robby Anderson improving after getting away from Sam Darnold and then regressing upon Darnold's return.

Of course I don't think Trubisky offers us a shot at a championship in 2022 - that's dumb.  But, QB is a position where you need a minimum level of competence or the whole thing implodes.  There isn't evidence quite yet that Zach Wilson offers us that minimum level of competence, and frankly, I'd like to see more of the New York Jets, which include Elijah Moore, and perhaps another highly drafted WR and TE next year.  Not just the New York Zach Wilson's.

It may all pan out, and Wilson may improve the way we all hope, but if he's the exact same QB as he was last year - well, then we wasted an entire year of many other players as well.  I can't get on board with a plan that allows for such a high likelihood of exactly that.

We might be arguing a moot point by the end of the draft. JD is likely to trade down at some point in the draft and get some mid to late round picks in return. I don't get the impression that he is averse to drafting a project QB or signing an UDFA. He could always sock away a QB on the practice squad if the protection rules are still in effect. If not, you could always carry three QBs. 

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I assume MW is the actual backup and Flacco if he sticks is here to help mentor ZW.

‘If so this is a lot of how much we suck talk, wins and losses, Flacco playing 3 games etc talk for no reason 

Interesting take Nut.  I admit, I hadn't considered that because I don't think it's true.

If White is on the team, I think he's the #3 behind Wilson and Flacco.  If Flacco is the #3, it's less bad sure.

Of course, then we should talk about Mike White and if he's good enough, but that's a separate discussion, lol.

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

I don't suppose I can help someone understand something that they don't actually want to, but perhaps it allowed them to bring Fields in when he was ready?

This team has been out of the playoffs for over a decade, but if you're still willing to sacrifice entire seasons hoping that the worst QB in the NFL gets it, with no contingency plan whatsoever, that's not a strategy I support.

But what did that for the Bears? It doesn't seem to have had any positive impact at all for them or Fields. They're basically in the same position the Jets are. Are they not? With a 2nd year QB that they drafted in the first round and a lot of uncertainty because it's only their 2nd year. 

Regardless, yes, we should have a competent back up QB to step in if Wilson is completely hampering the offense and the team. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Why would you assume that? This admin 1) traded for Flacco when Wilson was injured indicating zero faith in White and 2) benched White the first chance they could for Flacco even though he played much better in his first start than Flacco has in years.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Jets have been below the cap by a large amount every year for several years. Why would you think it's a resource allocation issue?

Well, I don't think they were always below the cap under Mac or previous GM's.

Really has been under JD that we started carrying over 10's of millions in cap space - and that's been explained over and over again around here.  He's been in a 3 year tear down...just cleaning the mess left....

I do NOT expect that to be the case this year.  I do not believe we'll be carrying over very much money this year.  JD is going to spend - as the tear down in complete and the rebuild has begun.  I don't expect to be mortgaging the future yet, but I do believe we'll be spending near the cap limits this year and going forward.

58 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I don't think it's about Zach Wilson's feelings.  If it's about anyone's feelings, it's Woody Johnson's.  I think, with the evidence being the last decade, that we absolutely don't want anyone in camp who can upstage the prized PSL/ticket/jersey selling/marketing possession.  I think the Jets are very wary of a QB controversy when one of their QBs is a top pick.

So we don't all agree it seems.

I do think, though, on this one there's no point in belaboring an argument.  I don't buy into conspiracy theories, that Woody or marketing or Wilsons feelings - whatever it is is a reason for not spending big money on a back up QB.

I believe it's simply a team building and resource allocation decision. 

It's amazing how butt hurt so.w of you are by this report. Saleh told us they wanted a vet QB at the season ending press conference.

We hitched our wagon to Wilson, he gets the reigns this year and then will compete with someone not names Flacco in 2p23 if he doesn't make a jump this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Worried for good reason to be fair.  

From Pop Warner Football to the NFL, QB controversies are terrible for teams.  You need on the field leadership and a divided locker room can kill a team.  

• Upvote 1

Zach’s a gamer. He wouldn’t go sideways over a legit veteran being brought it.

This is definitely an attempt by Douglas to not bring in someone that the fanbase might clamor for if Zach falters though. I don’t think Zach has played well enough to justify that. 

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Why not? It happened when Tannihil tok over for Marriota in Tennessee.

Unfortunately, ZW's performance last year shouldn't make anyone believe that we should be "all in" with him for this year.

Why not have a legitimate backup plan we can all get excited for (like Minshew)?

32 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This is what JD is focused on

dear god 

Well to be fair, if Berrios and Fatukasi want to test FA and we aren't allowed to talked to outside FAs yet - What should he be doing? I'd imagine the Senior Bowl and Combine have been massive workloads for our staff. Definitely why Saleh and the coaches stayed home.

17 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Zach’s a gamer. He wouldn’t go sideways over a legit veteran being brought it.

This is definitely an attempt by Douglas to not bring in someone that the fanbase might clamor for if Zach falters though. I don’t think Zach has played well enough to justify that. 

I think there is definitely some truth to that, probably why we are letting White walk most likely. This is mainly about resource allocation IMO as well though. No need to pay a high price backup if you aren't going for a Super Bowl. All 3 of our back ups played well last year and Pickett played well in our offense at the Senior Bowl, I'm really not concerned with backup other than some vet leadership.

6 hours ago, ZachEY said:

The whole ride and die thing with Zach has to be from the top. No way in hell Saleh and Douglas think it’s a good idea. It’s like ordering your  new car with no air bags, Seat belts or breaks. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Why would you assume that? This admin 1) traded for Flacco when Wilson was injured indicating zero faith in White and 2) benched White the first chance they could for Flacco even though he played much better in his first start than Flacco has in years.

Because Saleh said last year he wish he had a vet to help Zach along earlier in the season and most teams do bring a vet in to assist with off field issue young QBs need help with.  Then add in Beck is gone.

They benched White because he played poorly and then was injured.  MW played one game.  One and he should have won the job?  Whe. He had two games it was one where he played well and one where he played poorly and that was his career.  I didn’t get the benefit of watching him practice, I have no idea what he was showing the CS all year

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Why would Mike White want to mentor a lesser player?

Why would anyone have their head this deep inside of MW for one game and a dream?  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Interesting take Nut.  I admit, I hadn't considered that because I don't think it's true.

If White is on the team, I think he's the #3 behind Wilson and Flacco.  If Flacco is the #3, it's less bad sure.

Of course, then we should talk about Mike White and if he's good enough, but that's a separate discussion, lol.

We should also include that MW had a problem staying healthy when he played.  And when ZW first was injured and Saleh was questioned about another backup he initially said we have our backup, MW.  

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

The whole ride and die thing with Zach has to be from the top. No way in hell Saha and Douglas think it’s a good idea. It’s like ordering your  new car with no air bags, Seat belts or breaks. 

A QB controversy often leads to coaches and GMs getting fired.  I’m sure they have thought about that lol