Sounds like Berrios will test the market

Lith

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Let him.   A little dose of reality will be good for the young fella.   Anyway, I’d rather draft Bo Melton and put him in that role this year.   More upside as receiver and can do more things with him in this offense.  

Was just gonna post something like this. If Berrios does leave, his replacement is only about 20 miles away.?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

if the Jets feel like it's fair, it's most likely not too high an offer.  i won't be too torn up about it if he leaves.

I like the kid.  If he gets better offers, I'll bet his agent can get the Jets to match or beat.  Wait and see. 

• Upvote 1

I'd lay money that if Berrios signed with the Jets now, the same people complaining that we didn't offer him enough, would be whining about Jets always overpaying for overrated free agents.  

It's the same here every off-season, isn't it?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

No, him thinking that he’ll get $9M per year.   

He may not get $9M on the open market, but he'll still get paid alot more money (than he did here) for a team that is (most likely) alot more competitive than the moribund Jets.

So yeah, not sure it'll be much of a "lesson".

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Do you blame Berrios for wanting to test the market when his value is probably at an all time high, and this might be his one chance to cash in?

Do you blame the Jets for presenting a fair offer - acknowledged as such from Berrios own camp? 

Not going to fault Berrios if he walks. Not going to fault JD if he's set a price tag on Berrios that he will not go over.  But JD needs to have a solid contingency plan in place if we end up losing him. 

Like the Breshad Perriman contingency?

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He may not get $9M on the open market, but he'll still get paid alot more money (than he did here) for a team that is (most likely) alot more competitive than the moribund Jets.

What he got paid here in the past is not relevant.  It's the Jets present offer vs those of other teams that are interested.  If I am Berrios' agent, I test the waters (unless the Jets offer is the type to make you scream "overpaid", which it should not be).   You seem to know what the Jets offer was.  Please tell us.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

Do you blame Berrios for wanting to test the market when his value is probably at an all time high, and this might be his one chance to cash in?

Do you blame the Jets for presenting a fair offer - acknowledged as such from Berrios own camp? 

Not going to fault Berrios if he walks. Not going to fault JD if he's set a price tag on Berrios that he will not go over.  But JD needs to have a solid contingency plan in place if we end up losing him. 

This is exactly right. The Jets should bring back Berrios, but they shouldn't overpay him but at the same time Berrios should try to get every dollar he can since this is likely his best chance to get a big contract. He is already 26 and made very little relative to others in the NFL. It's highly unlikely that after a 2/3 year deal anyone will give him much as he nears 30. He isn't in a position to give hometown discounts. 

Hopefully he tests the market and realizes the Jets offer is reasonable. I also hope that if another team offers him an extra few bucks JD has some flexibility to up the offer. 

• Upvote 2

I respect Berrios and his right to do what is best for him and his family. He doesn't owe us anything, and if he was so important to the team, JD would have wrapped him up by mid-season. I'm a huge Berrios fan, and I want him back. The Jets may not value him anywhere near as much as we do on this board. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You must be fun to sit next to at Jets games. 

• Haha 1