Sounds like Berrios will test the market

Lith

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The thing missing from the take is the elephant in the room:

Douglas had all the time in the world to lock up a player he's supposed to know about from his coaches, and Berrios would've jumped at a $3-4MM/year extension in the early fall, or even in August when his only guaranteed season would've been the 2021 season coming up & he was lower on the depth chart, knowing Crowder & Cole were UFAs after the current season and that Crowder was always leaving after getting the squeeze put on him so late in the game. 

It would've been a low risk (guaranteeing another $2-3MM over his 2021 compensation) offer to then have the player on team options for 2022 and 2023. 

I've a hard time believing back then that Berrios would've scoffed at 3 years $8MM with $3MM guaranteed at signing.

Douglas waited until the player, one the team sees daily outside the actual games, put up some yards in games that they knew he was capable of doing, and only then did he engage in extension talks. He did the same thing with JFM last year (no way JFM was in the 8-figure range in the summer before he had a few strong, early games that was never going to be his new baseline production going forward); and Anderson the year before, when he could've been locked up with minimal guarantees and at less than Carolina offered him on his 2-year deal, when the top offer for him at the trade deadline was a late 4th rounder from Baltimore iirc. 

He's waiting too long. Not quite as long as Maccagnan, who waits on everyone until there are no more games left in a player's final contract season, but it's still too long. A more proactive GM could've locked up FF and JFM for the same money he's now paying for JFM alone, with the guaranteed season already in the rear-view mirror by now, on annual team options. 

He pulled off the best trade the franchise has made in memory, but Douglas also seems a slow learner in this regard.

This seems to be the case with all of Jets’ GMs not just JD. I wonder if it is someone else’s fault.  

Being a GM is like a game.  Everyone gets $200mm+ in cap room and draft picks, and their job is to create a winning team.  Some are good at it, some are not. 

But one way to maximize the power of the cap space is to identify players you want to keep and sign them early.  The Steelers are good at that.  Yes sometimes you end up paying a player who gets hurt, or stops playing, but I think on average teams end up with more value by capitalizing on players wanting to get paid earlier.

Berrios was clearly a player who could have and should been signed earlier for less money.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Cbucco19 said:

@football guy hmmm odds on Cooper to jets increased in Vegas … maybe they pull it off lol 

I have no insight on Amari which is annoying the hell out of me, but personally, I would be for it. You can easily restructure his contract without mortgaging our future. I do think that he'll get traded for more than a 5th round pick as has been thrown out there... somehow, someway I expect Dallas to get 3rd round value 

I will probably get beaten up by you guys over this but, if Berrios was to sign elsewhere (which is not what i want), why would someone like the Falcons Cordarelle Patterson not make a solid replacement for him?  Returns kicks & punts,  can play receiver or back, would seem like his skillset would play into a LeFleur offense in many roles.  Though he is about 30 or so (older than we would like), he could be a suitable replacement for 1-2 years.  Not sure what is perceived FA value is.  It would seem that Jets want Moore to be the slot guy anyway with another WR to be added to the outside with Davis.  if thats the case, it would limit Berrios opportunities in the offense minus an injury. He would still get chances, but not maybe the number of touches he wants. 

I sense that Berrios' agent, with the comment that the Jets offer was fair but wants to test the market, already has had an offer exceeding the Jets whispered in his ear.   

21 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

I

I sense that Berrios' agent, with the comment that the Jets offer was fair but wants to test the market, already has had an offer exceeding the Jets whispered in his ear.   

I actually took it as the offer is fair but he is hoping his client is worth more to someone else.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Again, this is an argument against retaining someone at what was basically a bloated special teams salary, and wouldn't have come with more than 1 season fully guaranteed either.

When Moore + Cole + Crowder missed time (or in Moore's case, was lost upstairs) at the start of the season - Berrios stepped in quite quickly and easily. A GM should be able to see that value. The guy they cast aside steps in without missing a beat, as though he was working with the 1s all summer. That's after a 400-yard season again in a distant backup role the year before. Plus knowing his age, speed, and similarity to other valued players, even if he didn't possess the stature of a Mims type.

Anyway, the idea that he didn't show anything until the 2nd half of the season is a myth. It's his job to get and retain good players for this CS whether they express desire or not. That's why he's the GM and they're not. 

But that’s why I think it’s unfair.  We’re blaming a new staff and JD for not knowing all the ways he could be effective, ways that he never was used before. I get what you’re saying 

On 3/9/2022 at 11:05 AM, JTJet said:

Probably but its curious that JDs philosophy of rewarding the people that deserve it may have evaporated. 

Odd that JFM deserves the contract he got but Berrios doesn't deserve a good one? 

I’m not seeing the issue here.  He’s admitted he underestimated Robby’s price but where are all those he’s refused to resign that needed to be resigned? 
He signs JFM and most here complain while we’re already hearing about Quincy Williams, Q, etc

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But that’s why I think it’s unfair.  We’re blaming a new staff and JD for not knowing all the ways he could be effective, ways that he never was used before. I get what you’re saying 

Once again, this isn't the only staff who'd surely had the chance to comment to the GM on the player. A player, mind you, that this GM brought in himself in Sept, 2019.

He was with the team for 2 years before Saleh's group was hired. Then he worked with the team all summer. Surely the WRC and OC would've said something like, "I don't know how this kid had 4 yards, let alone 400 yards, last year; he's just awful." Plus he started the first couple games in '21 I think. After that, the Jets player who got extended was JFM, so the same excuses would've applied to that player, too, if that held weight.

If you argue with me again, I'll add a 27th chapter. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Once again, this isn't the only staff who'd surely had the chance to comment to the GM on the player. A player, mind you, that this GM brought in himself in Sept, 2019.

He was with the team for 2 years before Saleh's group was hired. Then he worked with the team all summer. Surely the WRC and OC would've said something like, "I don't know how this kid had 4 yards, let alone 400 yards, last year; he's just awful." Plus he started the first couple games in '21 I think. After that, the Jets player who got extended was JFM, so the same excuses would've applied to that player, too, if that held weight.

If you argue with me again, I'll add a 27th chapter. 

LOL, 26 Are more than enough Mr. Edwards

• Upvote 1

Berrios and quite honestly any FA comes down to trusting the GM and his staff to do the right thing both personally and financially for the team.
As fans - we see a player on the field - we do not see all the other factors that go into these decisions.
For me and based on his track record I trust JD will handle this properly. That probably just set off a bunch of you and your saying how stupid this guy is - but if you truly look at JD since he has been here - you would have to grade him somewhere in the average to slightly above average range in decision making and result.
Some will answer that with 4 wins - the result is he stinks but objectively with the youth and inexperience of this team - you simply can't judge it solely on wins. I do believe however, that changes this season - he can't survive another 4 win season. There has to be improvement.
We simply have to trust him and the staff that they are on the correct track.
As far as Berrios - I think he is a good fit for this team and would like him back - but I have to trust the GM to only do that if it is in the best interest of the team assuming Berrios wants to be here at the financial package JD believes is manageable.

Very well said, I like Berrios and his ST contribution with his solid return ability is a huge bonus. I trust that whatever decision is made will be in the best interest of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This isn’t complicated. Berrios hAdn’t earned any extension talks until mid point of last year at the earliest. As he became more of a weapon, his agent and he probably decided to let it  ride until the end of the season. Smart business.  Barrios has no downside here, and as long as Jets are given the right to match or beat, either do they. Win win for both.

21 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I’m not seeing the issue here.  He’s admitted he underestimated Robby’s price but where are all those he’s refused to resign that needed to be resigned? 
He signs JFM and most here complain while we’re already hearing about Quincy Williams, Q, etc

Robbys contract relative to his play has been a disaster in Carolina.

I will probably get beaten up by you guys over this but, if Berrios was to sign elsewhere (which is not what i want), why would someone like the Falcons Cordarelle Patterson not make a solid replacement for him?  Returns kicks & punts,  can play receiver or back, would seem like his skillset would play into a LeFleur offense in many roles.  Though he is about 30 or so (older than we would like), he could be a suitable replacement for 1-2 years.  Not sure what is perceived FA value is.  It would seem that Jets want Moore to be the slot guy anyway with another WR to be added to the outside with Davis.  if thats the case, it would limit Berrios opportunities in the offense minus an injury. He would still get chances, but not maybe the number of touches he wants. 
Moore was far more impactful for us playing on the outside rather than the slot. I doubt the jets want to pigeonhole anyone as a "slot guy"or "outside guy". The knock on Mims was that he didn't know all the positions and they wanted that flexibility.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I’m expecting Berrios to sign somewhere else. I could see Buffalo being a good spot for him unfortunately.

I’ve already started digging, watching and reading more about slot guys in the draft who can replace Berrios. Calvin Austin III out of Memphis is my guy if we are not able to sign Berrios. I would also draft Garrett Wilson if we are not able to get a starting WR (which i expect we wont be able to).

5 hours ago, choon328 said:

Robbys contract relative to his play has been a disaster in Carolina.

I agree.  But Im just saying JD kind of indicated that he should have worked it more

I really dont get the comments that JD doesnt ever sign players to a second deal, this its nonsense actually.  If the little guy etc would thing, JD in the short time hes been here has signed more 1 year type players than not, so there wasnt really and expectation for a second deal, so I brought up Robby because JD felt he may have blown that one after his first successful season with the Panthers

I’m a berrios fan, but until the last 4 games of last season, he was getting 3-4 targets a game.  His last 4 games he had 180 receiving yards and a couple of well designed plays that got him two rushing TD’s. The eye test, at least to me, says he’s actually pretty good but I just can’t see a scenario where you have teams bidding hard for his services. When it’s all said and done, he’s still a guy that is really good as a special teamer but has never really proven himself as a legit option on the offensive side of the ball. Some jets fans love him but 40 something catches and 400 or so yards does not equate to a big contract. I love his upside. My guess is he’ll get the biggest offer from the jets but maybe he takes a smaller or shorter deal in a better system and bets on himself and try’s to get more money down the road. Regardless, his numbers say, at most 3-4-5 mill a year on a 2-3 year contract at this time.

On 3/12/2022 at 7:28 AM, GreenFish said:

I’m expecting Berrios to sign somewhere else. I could see Buffalo being a good spot for him unfortunately.

I’ve already started digging, watching and reading more about slot guys in the draft who can replace Berrios. Calvin Austin III out of Memphis is my guy if we are not able to sign Berrios. I would also draft Garrett Wilson if we are not able to get a starting WR (which i expect we wont be able to).

Definitely could see that happening. Seems like Cole Beasley is going to be released by the Bills. Berrios would be a more than adequate replacement for Beasley.