If the Jets acquire _______ Prior to the draft, you’d be fine with defense at 4 and 10

JD is not going to reach.  He needs to find an IOL, TE, S and WR in FA/trade.

Then he can draft EDGE and CB at 4 and 10.  

If he does not find a veteran WR, he has to reach for a WR at 10 and hope Wilson is there.  I suspect he will not be, because he is NFL ready as a route runner.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is there any scenario that you could realistically see unfold in FA or trades where you would be ok with the Jets using the top 2 picks on defense?

For me, if the Jets can get a starting interior OL(say James Daniels) and an upgrade at TE(Maxx Williams) and Vet WR(Chark) I’d have no problem taking Gardner at 4 and best edge at 10.

Kind of what I was thinking.....I'd add Tomlinson to OL, and prefer Evan Engram at TE. Chark would be nice.

3 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I am not feeling the Edge at 4, Sauce's resume is impressive. 

I just feel like there's a good chance Sauce is there at 10 whereas at 10 you're taking whichever edge is left. 

I know some think Sauce will be gone but my guess is there's a run on EDGE/OL and suddenly we're stuck with Karlaftis at 10.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

A #1 type WR. 

If they don’t get that guy in free agency or via a trade, they need to try to find one (or two) in the draft. 

if the jets can't get a good wr in FA, the 10 spot has to be a strong consideration for their favorite wr.  and that probably means edge at 4, b/c they simply can't come out of the first round w/o addressing edge.  so in this regard FA really impacts what they do in the draft.  this is why they probably don't go S or CB in round 1, they need edge and wr more and that's before you consider either taking an OL or even double dipping on pass rushers.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

JD is not going to reach.  He needs to find an IOL, TE, S and WR in FA/trade.

Then he can draft EDGE and CB at 4 and 10.  

If he does not find a veteran WR, he has to reach for a WR at 10 and hope Wilson is there.  I suspect he will not be, because he is NFL ready as a route runner.  

I am not sure it will be considered a reach to get the #1 WR at 10. At 4, yes. But it will be around picks 8-12 that guys like Wilson/Olave/London/Burks will start to get taken. If you love 1 of them, you will have to that shot to take him at 10. 

If you are right that none of these guys stand out as value at 10, he can just trade back about 5-10 picks and take the best one that falls into that range. Saints at 18, Steelers at 17 would likely want to jump the Commanders at 11 who will likely take a QB. 

Personally, I am equally excited about London (who is slotted to go around 15-20) as I am about Wilson or Olave who seem to be the top 2 faves. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets can't get a good wr in FA, the 10 spot has to be a strong consideration for their favorite wr.  and that probably means edge at 4, b/c they simply can't come out of the first round w/o addressing edge.  so in this regard FA really impacts what they do in the draft.  this is why they probably don't go S or CB in round 1, they need edge and wr more and that's before you consider either taking an OL or even double dipping on pass rushers.  

Yeah, I’m gonna keep beating the Edge-WR drum until I see a reason not to. We hear a ton from the organization directly that they need to support Zach, and they’re right. They need to get him reliable targets. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you are right that none of these guys stand out as value at 10, he can just trade back about 5-10 picks and take the best one that falls into that range. Saints at 18, Steelers at 17 would likely want to jump the Commanders at 11 who will likely take a QB. 

This is what he did in 2020, and landed Mims. In 2021, he stuck and picked Moore. My guess is that’s a lesson learned, and that he’s going to just take his guy rather than hope he’s still there after a trade back. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

If they get Cooper, Metcalf, Lockett, etc,  they still need another WR in the draft.

OL, TE probably in draft.

If they get one of those WRs to play alongside Moore and Davis, there is a zero percent chance they draft another WR in the first 3 rounds. Moore is being vastly underrated on this board. He will be in the discussion of #1 WRs by the end of this year. And Davis, while not a #1, is a really solid 2/3. Metcalf/Moore/Davis is MORE than enough for Wilson. We have too many holes to draft #4 WRs unless it's a 6th round dart throw. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

A #1 type WR. 

If they don’t get that guy in free agency or via a trade, they need to try to find one (or two) in the draft. 

The tricky thing about drafting a WR to support Wilson is the year one hit rate is pretty inconsistent. They’re probably about as confident in Allen Robinson, DJ Chark, or even Russell Gage putting up #1 numbers this year as the top WR on their board. Especially with this draft class being pretty aggressively mediocre.

I also think the need for a true #1 is a little overrated, but they do desperately need another guy who can beat man coverage. Think Moore can but Davis struggled and that was a big problem.

The other tricky component is we don’t know if they want to run three wide like they did last year or if that was a get the best guys on the field thing. LaFleur ran a ton of 2 TE until it was evident the TE’s are horrible and a couple of fullbacks are hitting the market too.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

This is what he did in 2020, and landed Mims. In 2021, he stuck and picked Moore. My guess is that’s a lesson learned, and that he’s going to just take his guy rather than hope he’s still there after a trade back. 

Very possible. I think it really all depends on the rookie QBs. If teams start to fall in love with a couple the draft value you could get in a trade back could be worth the move. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, I’m gonna keep beating the Edge-WR drum until I see a reason not to. We hear a ton from the organization directly that they need to support Zach, and they’re right. They need to get him reliable targets. 

the offense functioned differently with and without moore, and the worst thing douglas can do is not give wilson more talent to throw to and then moore is out and the team again has zero weapons when they had 2 first round picks.  at this point, a wr makes more sense than an OT at 10, and we're seeing how even the good TEs are being franchised.  the jets are going to have to draft weapons if they want them.

• Upvote 3

I think the Jets are going to spend major bucks in FA to improve the offense. If it were me I would be all over Bozeman from the Ravens to anchor the OL and I would make a major play for Amari Cooper. 

Edge at 4, CB at 10. 

Now if someone gets the hots for one of these QB's I would consider dealing the 4th or the 10th but I would really have to get something big back in a deal.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see this team go and get a Christian Kirk or juju. I’m not a huge fan of either as a teams #2 but love both of those guys as a #3 / primary slot receiver. Having one of those two guys in the slot will allow us to move Elijah moore around to get the good match ups. If we went that route, I’d be all about getting the best players available regardless of position.

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

? 

There is no single offensive player that would be an elixir for this offense. The offense only needs Zach Wilson to improve. Bringing back Berrios and Moses and LDT plus some professional competition at those spots should be enough.

The defense on the other hand was just an abomination. Use the top 2 picks to elevate prime defensive positions.

Agreed and I really like the day 2 prospects this draft on offense.  A few sleepers as well.  But even besides the draft value, it’s just not a reason to force the issue. 

• Upvote 3

I was thinking about this a little bit differently.  With rumors floating aobut Metcalf, Lockett and Cooper available, what signing would it take to make Jameson Williams an option for us.  If we re-sign Berrios and add one of the 3 guys above, maybe we have the luxury of taking Williams, who in the long run may be the best WR in this draft. 

If we have Moore, Davis, Berrios and one of the three guys above, we can afford to bring Williams along slowly.  I am not sure if he would have to pull the trigger at 10 to have a shot at him, because I am nor sure he makes it to 35.

17 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

? 

There is no single offensive player that would be an elixir for this offense. The offense only needs Zach Wilson to improve. Bringing back Berrios and Moses and LDT plus some professional competition at those spots should be enough.

The defense on the other hand was just an abomination. Use the top 2 picks to elevate prime defensive positions.

I think they need someone who can beat man coverage besides Moore on offense. Was a problem last year. Don’t think 4/10 are the place to solve that though, just like they need a TE and 4/10 isn’t the right spot for that.

Doesn’t need to be anything fancy but there’s a huge gap between they only need Berrios back and they need a #1 receiver and that’s where the need actually falls. Doesn’t change how they should handle 4/10.

I do think the way the board falls the second premium position defensive prospect a) won’t be there or b) will be Jordan Davis if they like his pass rushing upside and think he’s a unicorn. Should open them up to move down from that spot and once the draft hits the 20’s they can do almost anything.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am not sure it will be considered a reach to get the #1 WR at 10. At 4, yes. But it will be around picks 8-12 that guys like Wilson/Olave/London/Burks will start to get taken. If you love 1 of them, you will have to that shot to take him at 10. 

Personally, I am equally excited about London (who is slotted to go around 15-20) as I am about Wilson or Olave who seem to be the top 2 faves. 

Wash just traded for Wentz. if they were going to take a QB in rd 1 they could have signed a vet to back up the rookie. not trade two 3rd rd picks for Wentz.

i doubt they go QB now.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was thinking about this a little bit differently.  With rumors floating aobut Metcalf, Lockett and Cooper available, what signing would it take to make Jameson Williams an option for us.  If we re-sign Berrios and add one of the 3 guys above, maybe we have the luxury of taking Williams, who in the long run may be the best WR in this draft. 

If we have Moore, Davis, Berrios and one of the three guys above, we can afford to bring Williams along slowly.  I am not sure if he would have to pull the trigger at 10 to have a shot at him, because I am nor sure he makes it to 35.

Depending on the compensation and specific player acquired, I would absolutely consider taking a WR at 35/38. Williams/Watson would be that guy for me.

Williams/Watson if we went the Amari route, as Amari is less of a vertical threat. Watson, if we went with DK, because DK would be that vertical guy, and I think Watson would have more versatility than Williams, while still offering a vertical threat.

Just now, doitny said:

Wash just traded for Wentz. if they were going to take a QB in rd 1 they could have signed a vet to back up the rookie. not trade two 3rd rd picks for Wentz.

i doubt they go QB now.

Skins also got a 2nd round and 7th round pick from the Colts in the trade. So it was 2 3rds for a 2nd and 7th.....Wentz. The Skins gave up barely anything for Wentz.

Plus Wentz is on a 1 year deal and I highly doubt the Skins are looking at him as the long term answer. I think they are still likely to draft a QB they can groom behind Wentz this year and who can then take over next year. 

• Upvote 1