If the Jets acquire _______ Prior to the draft, you’d be fine with defense at 4 and 10

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I've come around to the idea mainly because it seems like that's where the best players are going to be anyway.

I think in an ideal world I'd want an edge rusher at 4 and a WR at 10 but if we took Sauce at 10 I could live with that.

Same.  

Also, say they go Sauce and a pass rusher, they can go tight end and O Line with 2 more picks in the top 40, so it's not like they are ignoring their offense.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Skins also got a 2nd round and 7th round pick from the Colts in the trade. So it was 2 3rds for a 2nd and 7th.....Wentz. The Skins gave up barely anything for Wentz.

Plus Wentz is on a 1 year deal and I highly doubt the Skins are looking at him as the long term answer. I think they are still likely to draft a QB they can groom behind Wentz this year and who can then take over next year. 

I do not think this is correct unless what was quoted yesterday was wrong.  They swapped 2nd rounders in the trade, washington did not get a 2nd rounder out right

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was thinking about this a little bit differently.  With rumors floating aobut Metcalf, Lockett and Cooper available, what signing would it take to make Jameson Williams an option for us.  If we re-sign Berrios and add one of the 3 guys above, maybe we have the luxury of taking Williams, who in the long run may be the best WR in this draft. 

If we have Moore, Davis, Berrios and one of the three guys above, we can afford to bring Williams along slowly.  I am not sure if he would have to pull the trigger at 10 to have a shot at him, because I am nor sure he makes it to 35.

i would be very surprised he makes it to 35.  A lot of teams high on this WR group and I think we'll see a run on guys mid first round.  My gut tells me Wilson, London, Burks (although he's plummeting), Olave, Watson, Williams all gone in the 1st, in no particular order. 

i agree with drafting defense early. i say draft one at 4. but a 10 we could get the best WR in the draft. if we push that to rd 2 we are going to get the 8th or 9th best WR. and then that puts us in jeopardy of not getting the best TE at 35.

so id we go Edge at 4 it will be the 2nd best or CB at 4 is the best. 

WR at 10 is the best. TE at 35 is the best. than at 38 get the Edge if we didn't at 4 or a safety.

i just think WR and TE are too important for this team and Zack that we cant afford to kick the can down the road and get the 8th best when we could get THE BEST!!!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

i would be very surprised he makes it to 35.  A lot of teams high on this WR group and I think we'll see a run on guys mid first round.  My gut tells me Wilson, London, Burks (although he's plummeting), Olave, Watson, Williams all gone in the 1st, in no particular order. 

You probably mentioned this somewhere else, so sorry, but do you like Olave? I just can't get around some of his limitations personally to really like him as much as it seems teams or the Jets seem to be rating him.

19 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

You probably mentioned this somewhere else, so sorry, but do you like Olave? I just can't get around some of his limitations personally to really like him as much as it seems teams or the Jets seem to be rating him.

I liked him more last year when I watched him, then watched more in depth this year and i just wasnt a huge fan.  I definitely didnt expect his combine performance, especially that 40 times. I knew he was able to run by people in college, but I didnt see just undeniable speed.  4.26 is FAST.  I think that changes things a little bit, and he definitely is a quality route runner, just wasnt in love with him.  He'll go first round though now. I wouldnt take him in the first, probably more the 2nd for me. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is there any scenario that you could realistically see unfold in FA or trades where you would be ok with the Jets using the top 2 picks on defense?

For me, if the Jets can get a starting interior OL(say James Daniels) and an upgrade at TE(Maxx Williams) and Vet WR(Chark) I’d have no problem taking Gardner at 4 and best edge at 10.

Amari Cooper or DK Metcalf (or other WR of their caliber) & a starting interior OL. TE doesn't matter to the 1st round picks, IMO, since there's no TE you'd take there anyway.

• Upvote 1

I'm just obsessed with the fact that for most of the post Namath era...Jets have failed to acquire a FQB type of player...that stayed around for like 10-15 years...playing at a high enough level...to get Jets into the playoffs more then a couple of times in their Jets careers.  Only Namath, Ken O'Brien and Vinny Testaverde ever had 20+ TDs seasons...twice.  All the rest one or none.   That kind of QB production makes it very difficult to be a consistent playoff team.    

It's especially a fail...when it comes to drafting and developing a QB.  One that can guide Jets into multiple playoff appearances.  For a variety of reasons...Jets haven't been able to do this.  

IMO Zach Wilson...with that combination of arm talent and mobility...is the most talented QB prospect Jets have drafted since Namath.  But that's no guarantee he can succeed in guiding Jets into being a perennial playoff contender.  In order to find out what he's got...what he's made of.  JD-Saleh need to make the primary focus of 2022 to be ZW's development.  Besides the coaching...it means giving him all the tools he needs to help him succeed.  Josh Allen was given that chance.  And he went from 10 TDs tossed his rookie season, to 20 TDs in year two.  Jets need to do the same...and get ZW to jump from his10 TDs season up to 20+ TDs speed...now...in 2022.   There's no excuses in doing less then getting that achieved.

Right now I'm getting that feeling Jets may not be acquiring any significant impact players on offense for ZW in FA.  Corey Davis was sh!!!ting out there on that field last year.  He needs to have that pressure taken off of him...of trying to live up to being a #1WR.  And getting him back into a comfort zone as a solid #2 receiver.  Because that's what he is.  Either through signings-trades or the draft.  Jets should get a #1 wideout for ZW...now...in 2022.  

As I've said in another thread.  You can talk and focus on all the other positions of need.  But the one that counts the most is focusing on ZW's needs.  Do everything necessary to give him a chance to succeed.  There's no excuse in doing less.   No FQB...no Lombardi Trophies.  Jets QB history is proof enough of this.

2022 is all about Zach Wilson...nothing else comes close in importance.  JD-Saleh need to use FA-trades-draft to give ZW a dominating beasting OL...and more scary weapons...to help him shred defenses apart.  Run the ball down the Bills throats...then play action...and Jets will be competitive against their arch rival...competing for the AFCE.  You want playoffs?  That's best way to achieve it.   Beat the Bills...and win the division.  That starts with Zach Wilson and a more dominant offense to slug the Bills with.  The offense doesn't need a touch up...it needs upgrades to become dominant.   

JD-Saleh...no excuses...just give it up for ZW...por favor.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Braxton Berrios.  I mean, you don’t need to spend a top 10 pick to “build around Zach”.  The offense was plenty good enough when at full capacity last year.  They could use their 2nd round picks and accomplish the goal of building around Zach.  This offense went off vs the AFC Super Bowl representative with Mike White, it was plenty good last year and everyone is in year 2 including 4 very important players who were rookies; Wilson, AVT, Moore, Carter.  

Would I love a proven veteran TE and WR, sure!  But either way they shouldn’t feel forced to draft offense in the top 10.  The D was terrible and believe it or not, having a defense that gives a few more opportunities to the offense and doesn’t constantly put them in a position where they are playing from behind, in fact, benefits Zach Wilson.

97.6 pff grade here. 
agree with this post 

4C7392BA-7E15-4FCA-B737-F224F0A67BB2.jpeg.0b20e66e08fb93bbd9f8d2c71e486afb.jpeg

31 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Skins also got a 2nd round and 7th round pick from the Colts in the trade. So it was 2 3rds for a 2nd and 7th.....Wentz. The Skins gave up barely anything for Wentz.

Plus Wentz is on a 1 year deal and I highly doubt the Skins are looking at him as the long term answer. I think they are still likely to draft a QB they can groom behind Wentz this year and who can then take over next year. 

Wentz makes 28 mil this year and is under contract till 2024. but your right, they can cut him any year and pay nothing. 

i think they give him this year for a few reasons.

1. Wentz had a good year last year. 62% comp, 3500 yds, 27 TDs , 7 INTs. thats good.

2. they didnt make this trade for sh*ts and giggles. Rivera is on the clock. his record is 14-19. he has to win this year. he would be best served to use the 11th pick to get the best WR on the board to help Wentz make a run at it. 

3. if you do draft a QB at 11 then he is going to start sooner or later. so by week 6 or 8 your going to have a really expensive backup. 

4. if Wentz plays well and they make the playoffs you cant just cut him next year and go with a rookie. even if the rookies sits all year. 

nah Rivera going all out to win or lose his job. he cant afford to waste the 11th pick on someone who cant help him win now.

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is there any scenario that you could realistically see unfold in FA or trades where you would be ok with the Jets using the top 2 picks on defense?

For me, if the Jets can get a starting interior OL(say James Daniels) and an upgrade at TE(Maxx Williams) and Vet WR(Chark) I’d have no problem taking Gardner at 4 and best edge at 10.

This is kind of a weird way of looking at it. The Jets need to address a number of holes- some due to poor play at starting positions, others due to expiring contracts. At 4 and 10 they should really just be looking at BAPs who fit and address positions of need- offense or defense. 

If they are really high on Sauce and think he won't be there at 10, I'm fine with them taking him at 4. even though I don't view CB as a huge position of need for them. I think if a guy like Thib. falls to 4 you have to roll the dice on him. Again, even if there will still be good pass rushers available in Rd. 2. 

So, for me, there really isn't any 'pre-requisite' FA signing on Offense for the Jets to go defense at 4 and 10. Having said that, they- like many teams, have holes due to expiring contracts that they will need to fill to field a competent team. That means (ON OFFENSE) we need a starting RG, at least two more WRs, two more TEs, and a RB. Most of these will be added via FA. You can throw around names like James Daniels, Maxx Williams and Chark...I'd love those guys, but there's really no pre-requisite to get anyone specifically or of that caliber. For example- bringing back Berrios and drafting a WR in Rd. 3 (Watson?) could be just fine- IMO. As long as we legitimately address TE. Re-signing LDT could be just fine as long as we draft someone like Zion J. in Rd. 2.    

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No because I feel if the Jets sign some mid-tier guy, or a questionable signing like Robinson or Cooper that the Jets could wind up not really upgrading the offense at all and not helping Zach. If I am GM I am still in Zach support mode full time.

Just now, johnnysd said:

No because I feel if the Jets sign some mid-tier guy, or a questionable signing like Robinson or Cooper that the Jets could wind up not really upgrading the offense at all and not helping Zach. If I am GM I am still in Zach support mode full time.

You don't think Amari Cooper would help upgrade the offense? I think he's as good as you're gonna get in free agency.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I do not think this is correct unless what was quoted yesterday was wrong.  They swapped 2nd rounders in the trade, washington did not get a 2nd rounder out right

That's what I saw as well, basically they moved up 5 spots in the 2ndd round, which isn't much, but I guess is something.

A bit more smoke about Christian McCaffery being available.  What would you give up for him?  The rumours say they want a 1st round pick and a player.

Would you offer up 10th overall in this 'weak draft' for McCaffery?  Health is an issue obvious but if you want to talk a QBs best friend type of player this is one of them in the league.

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Realistically?  No.

The Jets biggest need in my view are skill-position weapons on Offense.

I don't see us acquiring a legitimate one (or more) via trade or FA.

As such, I remain a proponent of Edge and WR in round 1 and TE and LB/CB in Round 2.  

I'd honestly prefer all 4 picks go to Offense, but again, trying to be realistic.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

You don't think Amari Cooper would help upgrade the offense? I think he's as good as you're gonna get in free agency.

I have some serious concerns about Cooper. If you look at his production it is marginal #1 production, but he is on a team with a supposed franchise QB, other weapons so he should not be getting double covered, yet he completely disappears in many of his games. 

I just see this scenario where we get Cooper, skip getting one of the Top WRs in this draft with a draft something like Ikwonu/Gardner then some EDGE, then someone like Winfrey/Zion Johnson and TE in the 2nd and we wind up once again doing almost nothing for WR.

Berrios will likely be gone. Cole might easily be as well.  So we wind up with Cooper/Moore/Davis/Super JAG/Super JAG/Mid rounder again and one injury and Zach has nothing. I feel we need to be super aggressive in not only getting a Top End WR but a Top End prospect and depth along with two TE. 

It is a defense heavy draft but we need to trade down if we can so we can really address OL, WR and TE

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A bit more smoke about Christian McCaffery being available.  What would you give up for him?  The rumours say they want a 1st round pick and a player.

Would you offer up 10th overall in this 'weak draft' for McCaffery?  Health is an issue obvious but if you want to talk a QBs best friend type of player this is one of them in the league.

He's played 10 games in the past 2 seasons and will have a cap number of 14M.

Not only would I not give up a 1st round pick for him, I'm not sure I'd give up a 3rd round pick for him.

I am fine with the Jets going defense with the top 2 picks if both picks are at premium positions and those players move the needle forward. This is independent of what they do in FA. I don't know if LB is necessarily a premium position, but I am cool with drafting one if they play at CJ Mosley's level. Two Mosley types at LB most certainly moves the needle forward. 

At the risk of being Captain Obvious, I'd rather draft a lesser need with high upside players than drafting needs with guys who have JAG potential. 

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would have no interest in him. He is a dynamic player but he is breaking down physically. You would be lucky to get 10 healthy games from him in a year. McCaffrey is a "one player needed to go over the top" type of player. We are not there yet.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As such, I remain a proponent of Edge and WR in round 1 and TE and LB/CB in Round 2.  

I'd honestly prefer all 4 picks go to Offense, but again, trying to be realistic.

Agree 100% with this statement. Bring in defensive players in the FA period and then duplicate last years draft and just load up on offense. As I have said if we are not careful we could easily completely fail at upgrading the offense.

12 minutes ago, Hex said:

I don't even know if there are enough FA players to make the defense even mediocre anymore

I hear you, but the Jets would vastly improve on defense with just two league average safeties and another competent LB. Nothing to write home about, but the defense would be a lot more respectable. Just one stud EDGE in the draft and we would be going in the right direction. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

He's played 10 games in the past 2 seasons and will have a cap number of 14M.

Not only would I not give up a 1st round pick for him, I'm not sure I'd give up a 3rd round pick for him.

His cap number this year would be 8.6M (for a team that acquires him by trade). 5.7M of the current 14M cap hit is prorated signing bonus and that doesn't travel with the player if he's traded. So it's just the base salary and workout bonus. Future cap hits are 12M in 23 and 24, and 12.2 in 25. 

https://overthecap.com/player/christian-mccaffrey/5592/

Yeah, I'd deal a third for that. Not a first.

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I have some serious concerns about Cooper. If you look at his production it is marginal #1 production, but he is on a team with a supposed franchise QB, other weapons so he should not be getting double covered, yet he completely disappears in many of his games. 

I just see this scenario where we get Cooper, skip getting one of the Top WRs in this draft with a draft something like Ikwonu/Gardner then some EDGE, then someone like Winfrey/Zion Johnson and TE in the 2nd and we wind up once again doing almost nothing for WR.

Berrios will likely be gone. Cole might easily be as well.  So we wind up with Cooper/Moore/Davis/Super JAG/Super JAG/Mid rounder again and one injury and Zach has nothing. I feel we need to be super aggressive in not only getting a Top End WR but a Top End prospect and depth along with two TE. 

It is a defense heavy draft but we need to trade down if we can so we can really address OL, WR and TE

I do agree that he does disappear and is a borderline #1 WR, but I think he will improve this offense a bit. We were so awful last year. Moving Davis and Moore down a slot will make them better. I think we should draft a WR in the 2nd round either way.